Talk me into/out of an MB GLC 300

From a distance, I like this vehicle quite a bit as gently used (2017-2018 under 30k miles).

Reasons I like it:  RWD; it's smallish but doesn't look smallish (to me); the ostensible practicality of an SUV; nice interior despite mb-tex.

Never owned a Benz or an SUV.  What should I be looking (out) for?  

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

It’s the nicer version of a Honda Crosstour. And the Honda Crosstour is about as cool as a minivan. And you don’t want a minivan. 

Or maybe you do. Your call.

Perhaps I should say I mean the  truckish version, not the coupeuv.

19 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've gotten it as a loaner when my MB was getting warranty service. 

I wasn't impressed, nor did I dislike it.  Pretty meh, IMO

You drive a E400 normally?  What are your thoughts on SUVs generally?

I assume that outside of a Cayenne or a Macan, or possibly one of the hotter Bimmers (which I distrust), an SUV may be the definition of meh.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, I would generally agree, without regard to marque.  But 260 hp and a handy tor

Oops something fuct up.  I am new to turbo engines too, but am prepared to quit worrying and love the bomb so to speak.  For ordinary driveability, I am assuming the low torque curve helps a ton compared to the NA 3.5.  Besides, just about everyone has an ~250hp 2.0T in just about everything in the smallish SUV segment.

If I stick with the idea of an SUV, should I be more open minded about FWD?  More than 200hp and associated torque (the standardish drivetrain) with FWD sounds like bad idea jeans, but they sell a fuckload of them and some of them get pretty good marks.

A big part of this is I am a car dude, not a truck dude, generally speaking.  While I kind of hate to admit it, having a "carlike" SUV is a bit of a selling point to me.  But I prefer it to look like a trucklet rather than a family truckster/estate wagon.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I don't see why drive wheels matter with an SUV.  Youre not chucking it into corners and powersliding out anyway.  Plus modern FWD can handle 300hp+ easily without mad wheelspin or torque steer.

A good 6 cyl is more about sound and feel.  But for example the 2.0 VW turbo 4 is better in every way than many pedestrian v6, so I wouldn't discriminate on basis of cylinder count alone

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I don't see why drive wheels matter with an SUV.  Youre not chucking it into corners and powersliding out anyway.  Plus modern FWD can handle 300hp+ easily without mad wheelspin or torque steer.

A good 6 cyl is more about sound and feel.  But for example the 2.0 VW turbo 4 is better in every way than many pedestrian v6, so I wouldn't discriminate on basis of cylinder count alone

Well, my last FWD car, an Acura TSX, had 200hp and 166ftlbs and an MT and torque steer was getting noticeable.   I just prefer the dynamics of RWD and also not having all that shit packed up in the front end.  

Is FWD-based AWD worth considering?

On 11/7/2019 at 5:36 PM, 52-80 said:

because if it doesn't have 4LO it's not an SUV, it's a minivan or a station wagon.

• Like 2

Just now, elfenix said:

those are pickups, not SUVs.

Touche.  I would agonize to some degree about buying a pickup without 4WD (when I say 4WD, i mean 4L, not AWD).

This whole thought process is emasculating.  I may have to go back to the ATS, and the ATS-V is looking more appealing.

We have a 16 that we have been happy with other than the shit Pirelli run flats that were bald at 22,000 miles. It’s comfortable and has plenty of room. Gets around town fine and is much easier to get in and out of for me than the previous Lexus car. 

We went CPO with 8,000 miles on it saved 20% on sticker and then added  two years to the warranty for a grand total of 6 years bumper to bumper with unlimited mileage through MB.

All of the 5 seater crossovers have morphed into the same car. The MB CPO was by far the best option though.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Archer said:

We have a 16 that we have been happy with other than the shit Pirelli run flats that were bald at 22,000 miles. It’s comfortable and has plenty of room. Gets around town fine and is much easier to get in and out of for me than the previous Lexus car. 

We went CPO with 8,000 miles on it saved 20% on sticker and then added  two years to the warranty for a grand total of 6 years bumper to bumper with unlimited mileage through MB.

All of the 5 seater crossovers have morphed into the same car. The MB CPO was by far the best option though.  

Yeah, they're pretty compelling gently used.  

Very true about them all being almost the same car.  RWD and the looks of the Benz distinguish it to a degree.  

But I fear I may need testosterone injections.  . . . .

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

RWD and the looks of the Benz distinguish it to a degree.  

But I fear I may need testosterone injections.  . . . .

Hers is AWD so don’t even have that dynamic. 

I understand my DD is a Raptor with a Jeep on the side. I’m just an occasional passenger in the MB. 

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

Hers is AWD so don’t even have that dynamic. 

I understand my DD is a Raptor with a Jeep on the side. I’m just an occasional passenger in the MB. 

There's still a bit of a difference in that most SUV AWD is front drive biased (more power to the front wheels at all times), while I believe the Benz is rear biased.

I've seen some in the higher trims that look okay. I have to agree that in general it's a chick car though. AMG version would negate that a bit, but then maintenance likely goes through the roof...plus $8K brakes.

That's strictly going off looks which may or may not be important to you. I have not driven one. Also my opinion is worthless.

34 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I've seen some in the higher trims that look okay. I have to agree that in general it's a chick car though. AMG version would negate that a bit, but then maintenance likely goes through the roof...plus $8K brakes.

That's strictly going off looks which may or may not be important to you. I have not driven one. Also my opinion is worthless.

Just out of curiosity, other than wheels, what can you see on the outside that makes them look "ok" versus "not ok"?  I'm not very familiar with M-B's packages and trim levels, but they all seem to look about the same to me.

As Archer notes, Benz doesn't seem to nickel and dime the shit out of you for everything desireable.  Their upper-level trims seem to be kind of ridiculous.  Perfume dispensers, etc.  One thing, most everything I see used has MB-Tex, not leather, which actually has a certain appeal.

If I'm spending AMG money on anything, it's not a trucklet wagon.  And I don't think any of the high-strung krautwagens are for me, period.

As I have no children and rarely carry people beyond a single passenger, I am back in preference for coupes.  Nor do I want any sort of land barge.  An SUV gives me four doors in a slightly more appealing package.  Plus I mountain bike a lot and it feels more normal to have a hitch and rack on an SUV than a low-slung coupe.  But I don't want a twatster either.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, Bill Clay said:

G500 (G Wagon/Wagen) or gtfo. Some say ugly but I love them. Very distinct unlike all the other jelly bean looking SUVs out there right now. The 2019s are a brand new rig unlike the previous 40 years of incremental upgrades.

So, soccer mom or Idi Amin Dada.  Choices.

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

Knock mb-Tex all you want but that shit looks exactly the same at 100,000 miles as it did at 1 mile. Can’t say that for leather, least not in a family car .

Yeah, there's a certain appeal to that, especially getting in it sweaty af after a ride.  However, its earliest incarnations were always perforated, and now it usually isn't.  And most car leather is pretty plasticized and that that isn't doesn't wear very well.

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

nicest leather i've ever seen in a car was a king ranch F150. only car leather that you might want for a chair in your library surrounded by leather bound books and rich mahogany.

Yeah, that is nice stuff.  Not plasticky, yet doesn't get over-patinaed.  It's kind of one thing to have furniture that gets patina, but to me at least undesireable in a vehicle.  Seems a lot of bimmers have stretched-out, discolored leather, probably because people don't take care of it.  May even be fixable with some Lexol.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

As for the OP, go for it. Great vehicles .We are on our third MB. If you plan to have it outside of warranty though I might recommend a good ext warranty. Not that stuff goes wrong, but if it does it’s not cheap .

Yeah, that last part worries me.

I've said this many times on other threads.  If you are gonna drive an MB (or any other high-end car, for that matter), you need to find a solid independent repair shop that specializes in them.  The "free coffee" that you will drink at the MB Dealership will be the most expensive coffee you ever consumed!  I can highly recommend Northwest Imports in Austin and Trinity Auto Haus in Waco.

I looked at one, but ended up with a smaller Infiniti QX30 turbo, which is a turbo'd Mercedes GLA 250 with Inifiniti bells and whistles(engine is made by MB).  I thought it would be too small and figured the GLC300 would be a better size, but it's not too bad.  It can hold quite a bit with the rear seats folded down, which is what I wanted it for.  We have a larger SUV for family stuff.  The GLC 300 felt a little femalish to me.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I looked at one, but ended up with a smaller Infiniti QX30 turbo, which is a turbo'd Mercedes GLA 250 with Inifiniti bells and whistles(engine is made by MB).  I thought it would be too small and figured the GLC300 would be a better size, but it's not too bad.  It can hold quite a bit with the rear seats folded down, which is what I wanted it for.  We have a larger SUV for family stuff.  The GLC 300 felt a little femalish to me.

Goddammit.

On 11/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, TwiceHorn said:

So, soccer mom or Idi Amin Dada.  Choices.

I usually say "there goes Hitler" when a G wagon goes by.  Especially if it's gunmetal grey.

Not a fan of MB lower than e-class.  Just seems like there are better values out there.  But if you're buying it used, maybe the cost of the logo has already fully depreciated.

4 hours ago, shakahorn said:

I usually say "there goes Hitler" when a G wagon goes by.  Especially if it's gunmetal grey.

Not a fan of MB lower than e-class.  Just seems like there are better values out there.  But if you're buying it used, maybe the cost of the logo has already fully depreciated.

Oddly enough, the GLC seems to be built on an e-class chassis.  They seem to be a pretty decent deal a couple years old with under 30k miles.

I was driving on the tollroad today and saw a bunch of smaller and larger SUVs including a couple of GLCs and a GLE.  

To my eye, anyway, it's a well-proportioned trucklet thing that manages to look more like a truck-thing than a wagon-thing.  While I tend to agree that the whole segment has tits, the GLC just seems to pass as a "male" and doesn't have oddball sheetmetal.  

Another one that kind of appeals is the Caddy XT5.  It's FWD, but depreciates like a madman.

For some reason, the car mags shit all over the 3.6 V6.  My car has that engine and I quite like it.