Official 2019 bitch about family/holiday drama thread

Nice Guy Eddie

When he wants to sass my SIL (his mom - she's full Japanese), he starts yelling at her in fake racist Japanese gibberish just going "ching chong ching chong" and shit like that.  Of course he isn't quite savvy enough to realize he's dunking on himself, which makes it even funnier.
Love this thread.

I laughed so hard at this I was choking somehow. Well done kid.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ve thought the same. Then again, my brother was an asshole at the same age. Nature > nurture.

I mean no offense but the kid didn’t learn Ching Chan Chung at preschool, your former asshole brother probably says it behind her back and he picked up on it. Most likely nurture still. 

I mean no offense but the kid didn’t learn Ching Chan Chung at preschool, your former asshole brother probably says it behind her back and he picked up on it. Most likely nurture still. 

That would stun me. My brother is the more submissive partner in his relationship.

The other, higher likelihood is that my nephew was legitimately confused regarding language and realized he got a rise out of his mom with his unrecognizable attempts at Japanese.

My SIL frequently speaks to him in Japanese so he can learn that side of his heritage. My brother speaks to him in English as that will obviously be his main language. On top of that, he goes to Spanish-only daycare. So he’s 4 and getting regular exposure to 3 languages.

My brother’s asshole side is expressed via directly trying to annoy you to your face. He would incessantly ask my parents basic, obvious questions and attempt to blackmail me. Not secretly talk shit.

You could be right, but nothing I’ve ever witnessed would make me suspect that.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

Mentioned before in threads past and I will again: men's Thanksgiving get together.

A friends dad started this over 40 years ago and we continue the tradition. Martini Matinee starts at 10a and ends at 11a SHARP. There is vodka and gin. No beer, no wine, no anything else. Of course olives and onions, but basically it is gin/vodka over ice in a pewter cup. Coat and tie is mandatory. No women allowed, even if the hosting house is cooking dinner, she isnt allowed to come out.

That's how you East Texas, bitches.

I'm in.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Mentioned before in threads past and I will again: men's Thanksgiving get together.

A friends dad started this over 40 years ago and we continue the tradition. Martini Matinee starts at 10a and ends at 11a SHARP. There is vodka and gin. No beer, no wine, no anything else. Of course olives and onions, but basically it is gin/vodka over ice in a pewter cup. Coat and tie is mandatory. No women allowed, even if the hosting house is cooking dinner, she isnt allowed to come out.

I'll take my martini "dirty".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HornPhD said:

We’re having an early Thanksgiving as my wife’s sister doesn’t have her kids for Thanksgiving this year, which works out well because her sister’s boyfriend is an ultra right wing QAnon conspiracy theorist.

Christmas will be interesting, however.

Politics is really what sets this thread apart from other threads. It isn't an official family gathering until some old due starts bringing up the Fox News talk points of the week or a college freshman announces that they no longer believe in personal possessions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Vodka and Gin in pewter cups is “East Texas”?  What kinda Bizarro East Texas do you live in?

Around here, I assume it’s Fireball in Solo cups while warming yourself around the fire, where last night’s date is slowly turning ans becoming tonight’s dinner. Or so I’ve heard. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

This sounds awesome (even though I don't care for martinis much), but - and I'll tread lightly here - coat and tie mandatory is not exactly what I think of when I think of East Texas.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

This is literally my fantasy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

My English houseguest really enjoyed the Dripping Springs Gin I had on hand for her. She killed the whole bottle (in addition to two or three glasses of Chardonnay each evening) while staying with us for the week of the F1 US Grand Prix race.

she mixed it with Fever Tree Indian Tonic Water (50/50) with a thin slice of lime over rocks.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 3

Thanksgiving will include a getaway the weekend before so Mrs GOTJ and I can unwind & celebrate my bday a little early. Probably a Friendsgiving this year which would be perfect.

Xmas is still in the air. FIL is probably on his way out. My wife's handling it well (she's got more brains & guts than her siblings, including her lt col brother). The big challenge is to get the FILto adhere to the recently enacted "if you're drinking, the guns are locked" policy. Drunks with firearms = bad times, m'kay?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My English houseguest really enjoyed the Dripping Springs Gin I had on hand for her. She killed the whole bottle (in addition to two or three glasses of Chardonnay each evening) while staying with us for the week of the F1 US Grand Prix race.

she mixed it with Fever Tree Indian Tonic Water (50/50) with a thin slice of lime over rocks.

Now THAT is refined. Cheers!

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Visiting one of my Aunt/Uncles for TDay. The stage is set for an exorcism/intervention. 

My Uber religious Aunt will be attempting to cleanse her son who says he can talk to the dead. (He got his own tv show picked up). Family assumes he is full of shit but getting PAID, Aunt thinks he does talk to the dead, but not lost souls. She believes it’s actually the devil. 

You WILL report every detail. With video if possible. 

18 hours ago, markstanco said:

sounds like a bunch of Kansas City Faggotry

6 hours ago, G650 said:

This is literally my fantasy.

confirmed

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ABSR said:

And likely don't drink much...if at all.  

i feel for ya but gotta disagree with you on this part. Think thats more a depends on the person kind of thing. At least in my experience, plenty of members of the tribe got down with drinking. good luck either way. 

55 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Visiting one of my Aunt/Uncles for TDay. The stage is set for an exorcism/intervention. 

My Uber religious Aunt will be attempting to cleanse her son who says he can talk to the dead. (He got his own tv show picked up). Family assumes he is full of shit but getting PAID, Aunt thinks he does talk to the dead, but not lost souls. She believes it’s actually the devil. 

the simpsons waiting GIF

I'll chip in for costs for you to record/broadcast/whateverthefuckittakes. 

39 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So true. But I've also been on the business side of a Glock in the cloven hoof hands of the FIL after he'd had downed 3 or 4 glasses of Highland Mist and La Croix. Not bueno.

I uh. I think we need a story here. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure what is more shocking; the fact that they made that announcement or the fact the Luby’s still exists. 
Dont hate on Lubys. I have lunch there every single friday with about 5-7 other men and have for 10 years. Not because the food is good, but it's the only place we can agree on. I'm the newcomer, it started about 25 years ago.
  • Like 3

I uh. I think we need a story here. 

Told it on the old site. About 4 years ago. We spent the weekend at in laws ranch west of Fredericksburg. As usual, I brought & grilled the steaks. Pleasant time until later in evening when I went to listen to old drunken FIL hold court and yell at the stars while my wife & her mom sipped wine in the house.

FIL kept downing his cheap scotch & bitching about the world. No CR, but he's been a no count leech most of his life. Lived off his dad's success and his wife's hard work despite being given every advantage.

At one point he decided to unholster his Glock, drawing it right across my path in the process of putting it on his work table . He's deaf & has arthritis so bad he can barely clutch his ever present smokes & booze. I dove hard to the side to get out of the way of his barrel.

When he saw me duck he said "what's your problem?" I yelled back "what the hell ever happened to the first rule of gun safety?"

He picked it back up, stared at it, said "it's safe" and pointed it dead at me before putting it back on his bench.

We left at dawn. I didn't tell my wife about it until a few months later. She didn't tell her mom until a year ago when they wondered why we'd been absent for so long. Turns out he's had other similar incidents. My MIL recorded him on her phone last spring drunkenly messing with his sidearm. Showed it to him the next day. He had no memory of it. Scared him straight, so much he didn't drink for 5 whole days.

Now he's back to his drinking and then some. MIL brushes it off with the rest of the family, but my wife is holding her ground. If he's drinking & his guns are available we're not going. A cocked up mess all around.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Told it on the old site. About 4 years ago. We spent the weekend at in laws ranch west of Fredericksburg. As usual, I brought & grilled the steaks. Pleasant time until later in evening when I went to listen to old drunken FIL hold court and yell at the stars while my wife & her mom sipped wine in the house.

FIL kept downing his cheap scotch & bitching about the world. No CR, but he's been a no count leech most of his life. Lived off his dad's success and his wife's hard work despite being given every advantage.

At one point he decided to unholster his Glock, drawing it right across my path in the process of putting it on his work table . He's deaf & has arthritis so bad he can barely clutch his ever present smokes & booze. I dove hard to the side to get out of the way of his barrel.

When he saw me duck he said "what's your problem?" I yelled back "what the hell ever happened to the first rule of gun safety?"

He picked it back up, stared at it, said "it's safe" and pointed it dead at me before putting it back on his bench.

We left at dawn. I didn't tell my wife about it until a few months later. She didn't tell her mom until a year ago when they wondered why we'd been absent for so long. Turns out he's had other similar incidents. My MIL recorded him on her phone last spring drunkenly messing with his sidearm. Showed it to him the next day. He had no memory of it. Scared him straight, so much he didn't drink for 5 whole days.

Now he's back to his drinking and then some. MIL brushes it off with the rest of the family, but my wife is holding her ground. If he's drinking & his guns are available we're not going. A cocked up mess all around.

Good lord. I would blow up if anyone did that to me. Loaded or unloaded. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, achooloco said:

i feel for ya but gotta disagree with you on this part. Think thats more a depends on the person kind of thing. At least in my experience, plenty of members of the tribe got down with drinking. good luck either way. 

I am part of a Jewish family, and the family where we normally go with great booze and food is also Jewish.   I agree there are lot’s of great Jewish chefs or cooks, and many for whom booze is quality and flows freely.

When I say Kosher, I mean keeping Kosher.  Two sets of dishes.  Meat and milk separate.  No pork, no shellfish.   Manischewitz  wine or other Kosher wine.  And while I am sure they are nice people, they are also 75 year olds who likely don’t care for football.

It’s the right thing to do, but it turns a usually great holiday we all enjoy into a mediocre one at best....that I get to pay a lot of money to attend.

And of course bipolar MIL who is now moving into mid stage Alzheimer’s.  

• Like 3

Son is getting married today. New inlaws are from Joysie.  All Italian, very, very close-knit family. Got to meet cousins and uncles last night at rehearsal, straight out of Goodfellas, “ Hi myname is Paulie...”. All of em.    I think ole Padre doing the ceremony has probably whacked some guys back in the day.

Son hasn’t fucked up yet,so he’s golden.

I expect some entries on the thread in future years though. Wedding is over at 4, and wife already warned me not to be checking scores on my phone.  Lolz.  Good luck with that..

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:55 PM, markstanco said:

you seem to missing the point of this thread.

22 hours ago, Zwylde said:

Just now in my twitter timeline and thought it was appropriate.  Not my family.

https://twitter.com/30SecFight/status/1192795485297422337?s=20 

Staged.

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

you seem to missing the point of this thread.

Actually no, but I should have explained better. 

The entire deal started when my buddy's father, a lawyer, was at his office on the morning of thanksgiving.  His best friend too was a lawyer, and was at his office that morning.  One of them saw the others car, and called his office.  He said "I am down here working to get away from my mother in law".  The other agreed that he was at the office for the same reason.  One of them invited the other over to their office for a martini or two so when they got home to eat lunch they could deal with the inlaws. 

And that is how it began.

• Like 1