Official 2019 bitch about family/holiday drama thread

Nice Guy Eddie

My wife invited her single friend who has three daughters over for tamales on Christmas Eve. Wife starts drinking at lunch, continues to drink, never takes a nap. I tell her from the beginning, "Uh, you might want to pace yourself. Kim is good people and all, but I don't really want to spend Christmas Eve alone with her." So, my wife is heavily buzzed when they get there, proceeds to drunkenly give some expensive designer jacket out of her closet to one of Kim's daughters, continues drinking and disappears to bed midway through dinner. Kim and I hang out for a bit and shoot the shit -- I kill most of a jug of eggnog she brought over, and then she takes her kids and goes home. Wife wakes up two hours later and bitches me out because, "It's inappropriate for you to be hanging out with Kim alone on Christmas Eve." Then we get into a massive, ridiculous fight that she was too drunk to remember the next day. Merry Christmas!

Please tell me you shagged her.

Nothing too egregious, but my dad is near the end and needs a walker, and he knows he's not supposed to try and stand up unassisted, but he did.  Yesterday morning he tried getting a glass of water, lost his balance and fell.  He caught himself, but only by grabbing the kitchen faucet, ripping it out and breaking it.  On Christmas morning.  There are of course no stores open.  So we had to go the day without a kitchen faucet.  Major pain in the ass.  Had to replace it today and whoever the asshole was who installed it used some sort of lock tight shit on the fittings.  

All liberal and conservatives behaved together the past few days.  Which was a first.

• Like 4

Recap of this year's trip to see wife's family in Louisiana:

FIL was in rare form. When I say the man is crazy, that's not in the sense that people usually do. I mean he's a certified headcase. Extreme ADHD, OCD and bipolar. He has two primary moods, extreme high energy mania or medicated zombie. Sometimes in his manic states, he can be practically intolerable until he's informed that he's annoying everyone and then he skulks off to pout in seclusion.

He's also a notorious hoarder. The first time I went to their house, my wife was nervous that I'd never be willing to return after seeing the piles of shit he has accumulated and piled up all over their house and yard the past 15 years. When he's in his manic states, he will go to somewhere like Lowes or Walmart and spend hours roaming the store and buying piles of useless shit on clearance. 

Despite all this, he's a well-meaning guy that genuinely loves his children and seems to really enjoy my company. His wife, children and I all have learned ways to cope with him. 

MIL on the other hand is an absolute saint and pleasure to be around. Don't know how she has survived 30+ years of daily life with FIL. 

The big wrinkle this year was that we learned about a week before the trip that BIL recently copped to repeated bouts of infidelity. Surprisingly, his wife didn't immediately leave him and they're trying to make it work through counseling. Not only that, she didn't even want to cancel the big family dinner we had scheduled for Monday night at their house. I cooked a bunch of prime rib for my wife's family and the BIL's wife's family and we all sat around and pretended everything was normal. I discovered there's essentially no scenario too awkward to be tolerated via copious alcohol consumption.

• Like 4

Today is a day that will live in infamy.
5 brave people stood up to a reign of terror than has lasted well over 30 years. The 3 children of MIL decided that no more shit will be taken and the the outlandish rudeness will stop and two were supported by spouses. It did not come without many battles throughout the day but she was thwarted at every turn. 
The final battle came around the great fire pit when SIL told her she should return to her dwelling (go to bed) if she is going to be negative and rude. MIL desperately looked for support, which she did not find, before heading to her nest.
For over an hour now the victorious children have celebrated the win and regaled each other with battle stories from the day, something that has never happened before. The battle of breakfast, the battle of prime rib, the aggression of cleaning before guests, the counter insurgence of child rearing criticism, and finally the battle of fire pit.
We may be lean, but for the first time we are unified and organized. The MIL has been put on notice, with a clear directive, that she shall ruin no more holidays. The long game has won. Let freedom ring.
On a more serious note, she was really told repeatedly that she is ruining everyone’s Christmas with her negativity and lashing out. Sounds like everybody has felt the same way for a long time and we finally got organized in supporting each other in putting a stop to it. Hallelujah.

Y’all do know you can’t ever eat anything she cooks again....,

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My wife invited her single friend who has three daughters over for tamales on Christmas Eve. Wife starts drinking at lunch, continues to drink, never takes a nap. I tell her from the beginning, "Uh, you might want to pace yourself. Kim is good people and all, but I don't really want to spend Christmas Eve alone with her." So, my wife is heavily buzzed when they get there, proceeds to drunkenly give some expensive designer jacket out of her closet to one of Kim's daughters, continues drinking and disappears to bed midway through dinner. Kim and I hang out for a bit and shoot the shit -- I kill most of a jug of eggnog she brought over, and then she takes her kids and goes home. Wife wakes up two hours later and bitches me out because, "It's inappropriate for you to be hanging out with Kim alone on Christmas Eve." Then we get into a massive, ridiculous fight that she was too drunk to remember the next day. Merry Christmas!

Your wife is my hero. Rock Star!!!

rocking rock and roll GIF

I think Christmas has mostly been okay. I worked Christmas Eve and day because I work in a restaurant in mid-town Manhattan. People were mostly nice and you cannot ask for more than that.

Spent Christmas Eve night with my girlfriend and her family. It was okay for the most part. They are just really loud, but whatever. Just kind of is part of it when you are amongst Dominicans and Brazilians. 

They all left to go to Harrisburg for four days. I was good with that. Christmas night was peace and quiet. That is a rarity to get. Might drive out to spend Friday with them, but will see how my mom feels after her flight here from Austin. I might just spend Friday at the model train show at the NY Botanical Garden and then go skate at Bryant Park so my mom can see me skate in-person for the first time. It just depends on how she feels. She's 70 and recently broke her big toe. Combine that with battling leukemia and she can get worn down quickly at times. 

I really do hope all of y'all are making it through the holidays well and that you have made some lasting memories that are good. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

My family is 1,600 miles away back in the greatest state so a FaceTime call yesterday was all we got. Easy peasy.

However our friends invited us over for her family Christmas dinner, held tonight. This is important: of our friends, he is a state rep and she runs a lobbying firm. Both democrats, both Warren supporters. This isn’t a secret and they’re both well known and respected by both political parties. 

I go over early in the afternoon to help cook and, of course, to drink. She warns us Christmas dinner might be interesting. I get excited cause I absolutely love family drama when I can be an in-person spectator.

Dinner is supposed to be at 5:30. 

Strike 1: At 6:15 her parents roll up, along with the uninvited niece and the niece’s rat terrier. 

Strike 2: Mom and dad are wearing MAGA gear.

Strike 3: 10 minutes into dinner the terrier tries to eat our friends’ poodle. The niece doesn’t care and when they tell her to lock her dog up she goes and sits in the car.

Strike ... 4?: after dinner. before dessert mom says she hopes they aren’t having children unless they start supporting Trump because her heart couldn’t take an indoctrinated grandchild.

They leave without even eating my banana pudding. 

Watching someone else’s family drama in person is better than any broadway show we’ve ever seen.

Give me an IV full of this when I am also not involved. What a clownshow that had to be to witness.

10 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Atheist here... Rounded out my xmas fun with a 1 hour sermon and 3 prayers with my dad's side of the family last night.

This almost... ALMOST... makes me want to settle down with a girl again so I have built in excuses to not be around family for the holidays.  Makes me more pissed at the ex for fucking things up.  We got engaged on xmas on Isla Mujeres... we could have been there every year for our "anniversary" and no one would have given it a second thought.

Instead I'm drinking welch's sparkling juice in a lodge either talking politics or god.  What a fucking disaster.

This is why you always always always bring booze with you. Always. Fucking amateur hour here.

I used to laugh at all yall when I was enjoying a bunch of drama free holidays.

Then I got married.

Disclaimer, I'm the only person in this story with a substance abuse problem and I've been sober for a while. My wife (2nd, best stepmom ever) son (22), and daughter (19, no pics assholes) are temperate social drinkers.

My grandparents had 4 sons, who had 10 grandkids, who all have kids of their own, so our annual Christmas party is quite the event. My kids were sitting with their 3 college aged 2nd cousins with whom they are very close friends and talking about hanging out with my wife and possibly dipping into the stash of edibles my saint of a sister in Portland mailed to her for Christmas. A dozen edibles lasts her about a year.

2nd cousins mom overhears part of the conversation and calls my ex wife and reports that my current wife is giving my kids drugs.

My ex wife gets angry, not because my wife did anything wrong but because my cousins wife would even call to start shit. Ex has been known to partake on rare occasions so she's like WTF, why would you even call with such a triviality.

Cousins wife has converted from Episcopalian, to Baptist, back to Episcopalian, to Anglicanism and now is some kind of hardcore fundamental Catholic. Clearly there's something going on there, but I've tolerated her early church themed facebook diatribes/rants with amused skepticism because that's the kind of guy I am. Live and let live. To each their own.

Wife about to declare jihad on cousins wife for being a self righteous bitch. Fun times.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Next year I'll get a picture of him with his muzzle on.  It's always put on when we show up, and eventually someone thinks maybe this time he's learned, and removes it.  Then he starts growling, barking, and snapping at people, which results in the in-laws yelling at him, which ratchets up his nonsense, and then finally someone puts the muzzle back on and he shuts up.

The cycle repeats itself every couple of hours.  

One of the great ironies in all of this, is they got this dog after the long time family dog my wife grew up with passed.  They named the cunt dog in homage to the first dog.  The first dog was one of the nicest, most well behaved, and well trained dogs I've ever been around.  My FIL is actually pretty good with training dogs (he's got a great bird dog that stays outdoors), but this thing should have been put down years ago.  It's just an irredeemably bad dog, and they've become attached to the damn thing.

We had one of those. A deaf, foul-tempered, barkin'-ass at everything, Corgi mix that somehow smelled like actual shit perpetually, even minutes after you bathed her. Ironically her name was Honey. She played hell with my grandmother's blood pressure so she and my uncle conspired to, um, have Honey "go to a farm." My grandfather, who only dealt with Honey's bullshit after work and before bed, was incensed, as was one of my aunts. After they disappeared Honey, she and my grandfather didn't speak to my grandmother and uncle for a week or two. Total Cold War.

Me, I was Team Adios Honey all the way -- that was maybe the only time I ever sided with my asshole uncle about anything, ever.

Some dogs are just bad, and Honey had to go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

FIL got tanked and cried while we watched old home movies.
Made numerous comments of how much thinner MIL was during her early years.
I laughed and drank most of the Weller.

I brought my girlfriend and I down to Texas to see my family. My grandparents got food catered by Rudy's, but I smoked 2 racks of ribs for Christmas. My grandpa made me a whiskey and Coke as I taught the girlfriend how to play 42. My cousin was coming in later the night, and for some reason my uncle left. When her and my cousin-in-law came in we watched VHS tapes of my cousin and me when we were babies that we haven't seen in probably 20 years.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

This is why you always always always bring booze with you. Always. Fucking amateur hour here.

My family get togethers are totally dry. One year I took a six pack of beer to my mom's and proceeded to polish it off over the course of three days. Two beers a day.

I was told to seek help. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My family get togethers are totally dry. One year I took a six pack of beer to my mom's and proceeded to polish it off over the course of three days. Two beers a day.

I was told to seek help. 

I would perceive that as a call for more beer...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I used to laugh at all yall when I was enjoying a bunch of drama free holidays.

Then I got married.

Disclaimer, I'm the only person in this story with a substance abuse problem and I've been sober for a while. My wife (2nd, best stepmom ever) son (22), and daughter (19, no pics assholes) are temperate social drinkers.

My grandparents had 4 sons, who had 10 grandkids, who all have kids of their own, so our annual Christmas party is quite the event. My kids were sitting with their 3 college aged 2nd cousins with whom they are very close friends and talking about hanging out with my wife and possibly dipping into the stash of edibles my saint of a sister in Portland mailed to her for Christmas. A dozen edibles lasts her about a year.

2nd cousins mom overhears part of the conversation and calls my ex wife and reports that my current wife is giving my kids drugs.

My ex wife gets angry, not because my wife did anything wrong but because my cousins wife would even call to start shit. Ex has been known to partake on rare occasions so she's like WTF, why would you even call with such a triviality.

Cousins wife has converted from Episcopalian, to Baptist, back to Episcopalian, to Anglicanism and now is some kind of hardcore fundamental Catholic. Clearly there's something going on there, but I've tolerated her early church themed facebook diatribes/rants with amused skepticism because that's the kind of guy I am. Live and let live. To each their own.

Wife about to declare jihad on cousins wife for being a self righteous bitch. Fun times.

For whatever your differences with your ex-wife may be, that was the proper reaction from her.

other chick needs to mind her own fucking business, but yeah, if people did that, this thread wouldn't exist.

Nice entry.

One a tangent- your son couldn't partake anyway because of his occupation/ commitments, right?

6 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I brought my girlfriend and I down to Texas to see my family. My grandparents got food catered by Rudy's, but I smoked 2 racks of ribs for Christmas. My grandpa made me a whiskey and Coke as I taught the girlfriend how to play 42. My cousin was coming in later the night, and for some reason my uncle left. When her and my cousin-in-law came in we watched VHS tapes of my cousin and me when we were babies that we haven't seen in probably 20 years.

You have a VHS?

On 12/25/2019 at 11:55 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

Today is a day that will live in infamy.

5 brave people stood up to a reign of terror than has lasted well over 30 years. The 3 children of MIL decided that no more shit will be taken and the the outlandish rudeness will stop and two were supported by spouses. It did not come without many battles throughout the day but she was thwarted at every turn. 

The final battle came around the great fire pit when SIL told her she should return to her dwelling (go to bed) if she is going to be negative and rude. MIL desperately looked for support, which she did not find, before heading to her nest.

For over an hour now the victorious children have celebrated the win and regaled each other with battle stories from the day, something that has never happened before. The battle of breakfast, the battle of prime rib, the aggression of cleaning before guests, the counter insurgence of child rearing criticism, and finally the battle of fire pit.

We may be lean, but for the first time we are unified and organized. The MIL has been put on notice, with a clear directive, that she shall ruin no more holidays. The long game has won. Let freedom ring.

On a more serious note, she was really told repeatedly that she is ruining everyone’s Christmas with her negativity and lashing out. Sounds like everybody has felt the same way for a long time and we finally got organized in supporting each other in putting a stop to it. Hallelujah.

Goddamn beautiful, I can relate.  MIL is quite batshit crazy, runs in her family.  My wife is one of six girls.  All of them were physically, verbally, emotionally abused growing up.  It didn't end once they got older.  When one of the girls gets upset at the MIL for starting some drama, she'd spread lies and turn the others against her.  Eventually it extended outside the the 6 girls, even son-in-laws like myself were fair game for bullshit fabricated stories and baseless attacks on character. 

That essentially ended sometime this fall.  MIL tried to start some bullshit drama aimed at my wife and I, wife fought back, and most of the other sisters finally stood up.  It led to 4 of them having Thanksgiving together without the MIL.  We all got drunk, played cards, and had an excellent time.  Then comes Christmas.  In the holiday spirit of things we all got together for an hour with the MIL and the others.  MIL acts polite as pie for about an hour, but when the mood starts turning we all retreated back to my house for a separate party that involved more cards, more whiskey, and more fun times.  We all decided this was the way.  My wife fell out of her chair three times tonight, I laughed my ass off.  MIL is ultra conservative Baptist and doesn't allow drinking at all.  She would not have approved.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2019 at 12:45 PM, Lobo said:

Yeah, this Cliff's place in Iowa looks fucking awesome compared to the places I get sent out to.  There's nowhere in my in-laws town except a pizza place and the owner reports back to everyone in town how many beers each patron had, so that's a non-starter for me.  There is a small general store that sells alcohol, but also the same dilemma with the loud-mouth, judgmental Catholic owner. And there are no other retail businesses in a 20-mile radius.  So no sneaking away for a drink or anything like that.  So dammit, live it up at Cliff's Place for the rest of us Al!    

If you don't live there, why do you give a damn about judgy merchants???

On 12/24/2019 at 1:55 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Staying in the northeast this Christmas instead of the annual trek to either Longview, Houston or Austin. I am so excited for story time with Surly. 

Here, my wife has lost her voice as of yesterday and I have a case of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA and a fresh bottle of Hendricks in the freezer ready to go. 

I can't believe nobody else on this thread picked up on this Christmas miracle.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

If you don't live there, why do you give a damn about judgy merchants???

Because we visit there all the time you imbecile.  Sometimes Daddy wants to volunteer to go "run errands" and maybe have a few drinks in peace.  But this town literally has 250 people and 2 places are legally allowed to sell alcohol.  And those two places literally report to the whole town who came in there (or whose SIL came by) and who drank what.  What part of that wasn't clear?  Not like Texas doesn't have equally judgey merchants.  You realize how quickly word travels that a Hispanic half-Jew came in came in as customer #3 and drank a pitcher himself while waiting for a to-go pizza?  Especially when you can see all 50 homes in town from the pizza place.  What part are you not getting?  Yeah, I don't live there, but I visit and this kinda bullshit makes it hard.  Do you need diagrams or something or are you just so awesome, you can't picture a small town with cranky people?   On a literal thread of Holiday drama with family, I was talking about how hard it is to get some booze refuge away from in-laws and their town makes it nearly impossible.  And you give me shit for giving a damn about judgy merchants?  I'm honestly woefully curious where the disconnect in your fucking brain is occurring?  Because I want a hit of whatever your dumbass is having.  

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Because we visit there all the time you imbecile.  Sometimes Daddy wants to volunteer to go "run errands" and maybe have a few drinks in peace.  But this town literally has 250 people and 2 places are legally allowed to sell alcohol.  And those two places literally report to the whole town who came in there (or whose SIL came by) and who drank what.  What part of that wasn't clear?  Not like Texas doesn't have equally judgey merchants.  You realize how quickly word travels that a Hispanic half-Jew came in came in as customer #3 and drank a pitcher himself while waiting for a to-go pizza?  Especially when you can see all 50 homes in town from the pizza place.  What part are you not getting?  Yeah, I don't live there, but I visit and this kinda bullshit makes it hard.  Do you need diagrams or something or are you just so awesome, you can't picture a small town with cranky people?   On a literal thread of Holiday drama with family, I was talking about how hard it is to get some booze refuge away from in-laws and their town makes it nearly impossible.  And you give me shit for giving a damn about judgy merchants?  I'm honestly woefully curious where the disconnect in your fucking brain is occurring?  Because I want a hit of whatever your dumbass is having.  

Because you're a fucking adult and shouldn't give two fucks if your drinks are "reported"? 

'

• Like 9

Have y'all read this thread?  You can honestly tell me that I'm the only adult male in Texas who gets flack for drinking at the holidays?  It's literally the theme of half the posts.  In the end, yeah we do what we want and who gives a shit.  But I'm talking about places that literally won't serve you because they know that nobody from that family ever has more than one beer so why would you possibly ask for a second.  Forgot you guys are the "I don't care what other people think of me" crowd.  Must be awesome.  Will you sign my yearbook?  
Thought this was a thread to vent about in-laws judging us and us having to occasionally bend to their whimsies, and sometimes even not being able to buy any alcohol because it was an impossibility.  You can't control who sells you booze, it's their license and they can literally refuse service to anyone---right up there on their little signage behind the bar.  I wish I was as awesome as y'all and didn't care about about  wife's feelings at the holidays while surrounded by her family.   

Edited by Lobo

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Have y'all read this thread?  You can honestly tell me that I'm the only adult male in Texas who gets flack for drinking at the holidays?  It's literally the theme of half the posts.  In the end, yeah we do what we want and who gives a shit.  But I'm talking about places that literally won't serve you because they know that nobody from that family ever has more than one beer so why would you possibly ask for a second.  Forgot you guys are the "I don't care what other people think of me" crowd.  Must be awesome.  Will you sign my yearbook?  
Thought this was a thread to vent about in-laws judging us and us having to occasionally bend to their whimsies, and sometimes even not being able to buy any alcohol because it was an impossibility.  You can't control who sells you booze, it's their license and they can literally refuse service to anyone---right up there on their little signage behind the bar.  I wish I was as awesome as y'all and didn't care about about  wife's feelings at the holidays while surrounded by her family.   

You sound like you could use a drink or two. 

• Like 2

You said it man.  I'm actually back in Austin, was just identifying with some of the above posts about baptist and Catholic MIL's that were giving their daughters shit for their husbands drinking or leaving to drink after the Christmas proper events.  Sorry for booze-filled empathy on a thread about family bullshit.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Somebody needs a hug.

• Like 1

See, now you’re getting the spirit of the thread corporal fuckballs.   ;)

it’s cattle ranching country up there.  I’ve honestly never thought until now to look for shrooms to take the edge off.  Do those things occur in the western Great Plains?

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Damn dude, it’s not like he brought up your kids or something....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2