Official 2019 bitch about family/holiday drama thread

Nice Guy Eddie

Better late than never.

First Christmas spent with gf’s family in California. No pics- of any of them.

Gf’s dad does well and her mom has been living glamorously off her half since they split ~10 years back. It seems her decade long vacation might be winding down as she’s mentioned looking for work that entails something other than her current regimen of yoga, book clubs and traveling the world. We spend Christmas morning with her.

Gf is down to earth, independent and thoughtful. Probably spent ~$600-700 on gifts for her twin, younger sister and her mom.

I watched Gf’s twin as she realized that Gf got an extra present (a pair of leggings). That shit was not going to fly. Like a child, she grabbed the leggings, held them up and asked mom when they could go get her a pair too. Never mind that she is 25 years old, recently had to have her mom pay off her overdue $5k credit card bill or the fact that she gifted her sisters nothing but $15 gift cards (and her mom nothing).

Dinner the next evening with dad went just as well. Since twin just moved back home from the east coast where she did not have/need a car, she’s now in need of some wheels. Great. Dad has bought brand new Toyota and Subaru for other two daughters in last two years when they needed a car. But naturally that’s not good enough for twin. Dipshit is talking about taking out a loan for the difference between the cost of a brand new Toyota and her desired Audi. Dad laughs at the notion but didn’t do enough to slam the door closed so we all get to watch twin try to charm her way into a luxury vehicle the entire evening.

I love my gf and she is incredibly normal considering the circumstances. But fuck this shit already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, Westtexashorn said:

Gf is down to earth, independent and thoughtful. Probably spent ~$600-700 on gifts for her twin, younger sister and her mom.

I watched Gf’s twin as she realized that Gf got an extra present (a pair of leggings). That shit was not going to fly. Like a child, she grabbed the leggings, held them up and asked mom when they could go get her a pair too. Never mind that she is 25 years old, recently had to have her mom pay off her overdue $5k credit card bill or the fact that she gifted her sisters nothing but $15 gift cards (and her mom nothing).

My sister is 43 and still pulls that shit even though our parents havent bought me anything in years because I don't know.. I am fucking adult who takes care of his own shit. 

When she hears about me purchasing a TV, car, laptop, or whatever she runs to them demanding they get her the same thing. She is such a fucking beating. 

Better late than never.

First Christmas spent with gf’s family in California. No pics- of any of them.

Gf’s dad does well and her mom has been living glamorously off her half since they split ~10 years back. It seems her decade long vacation might be winding down as she’s mentioned looking for work that entails something other than her current regimen of yoga, book clubs and traveling the world. We spend Christmas morning with her.

Dinner the next evening with dad went just as well. Since twin just moved back home from the east coast where she did not have/need a car, she’s now in need of some wheels. Great. Dad has bought brand new Toyota and Subaru for other two daughters in last two years when they needed a car. But naturally that’s not good enough for twin. Dipshit is talking about taking out a loan for the difference between the cost of a brand new Toyota and her desired Audi. Dad laughs at the notion but didn’t do enough to slam the door closed so we all get to watch twin try to charm her way into a luxury vehicle the entire evening.

I love my gf and she is incredibly normal considering the circumstances. But fuck this shit already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bump this thread to keep us updated!

On 12/31/2019 at 8:10 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

'Blah, blah, blah...I'm dating a rich 25-yr-old California girl who has a twin sister and I refuse to post obligatory pics...blah blah blah.'

fify

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

My sister is 43 and still pulls that shit even though our parents havent bought me anything in years because I don't know.. I am fucking adult who takes care of his own shit. 

When she hears about me purchasing a TV, car, laptop, or whatever she runs to them demanding they get her the same thing. She is such needs a fucking beating. 

fify

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 11:09 AM, Jameslaw121 said:

Can I pause to brag about my daughter? Most of yall know she was a sergeant in the Army. She's out now and going to college. Lives in an apartment about a mile away from me. Sometime around Thanksgiving I notice she was driving her girlfriends car and I asked what was wrong with her truck. She said she needed the break pads replaced. I didn't really give it another thought.

Fast forward to the week before Christmas. I called to see if I could borrow her truck to move a table. She said her truck had no breaks right now and she was saving up to get them fixed.I asked how she was getting to work. She was walking. I told her she could just borrow my suv (I have a work van so I wouldn't be out of a vehicle). She said she was fine walking. I told her I would pay for the breaks. She told me no.

Finally after an hour of arguing I convinced her let me pay for any over what she had saved up. 

I sure as hell wasn't that mature at 23.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:34 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

How were you as a speller?

But props to your daughter for having her shit together.

Technically, the truck had a bad break with the brakes going bad.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:09 AM, Jameslaw121 said:

Can I pause to brag about my daughter? Most of yall know she was a sergeant in the Army. She's out now and going to college. Lives in an apartment about a mile away from me. Sometime around Thanksgiving I notice she was driving her girlfriends car and I asked what was wrong with her truck. She said she needed the break pads replaced. I didn't really give it another thought.

Fast forward to the week before Christmas. I called to see if I could borrow her truck to move a table. She said her truck had no breaks right now and she was saving up to get them fixed.I asked how she was getting to work. She was walking. I told her she could just borrow my suv (I have a work van so I wouldn't be out of a vehicle). She said she was fine walking. I told her I would pay for the breaks. She told me no.

Finally after an hour of arguing I convinced her let me pay for any over what she had saved up. 

I sure as hell wasn't that mature at 23.

This started OK, but I was really hoping that you and your brother attempted to do the brake job and fucked it all up.

Anyway, is your daughter "out" out, or is she in the reserves/Guard?

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yikes.  I hope Uncle Sam is seeing that she gets the care that she needs. 

Mostly healed now. Mostly got out because it would have been a pretty big uphill battle to get back to Army readiness strength or whatever they call it.

Now using the GI bill to take about 18 hours a semester while working 40 hours a week. 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, MissingInAction said:

When she hears about me purchasing a TV, car, laptop, or whatever she runs to them demanding they get her the same thing. She is such a fucking beating. 

I could have posted this.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

A friend of mine had her brother kill himself on New Year’s Day. So...that wins the thread?

Why did she have her brother kill himself? She just a bitch like that?

Seriously, that sucks. Hate that your friend is having to deal with something like that. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

Mostly healed now. Mostly got out because it would have been a pretty big uphill battle to get back to Army readiness strength or whatever they call it.

Now using the GI bill to take about 18 hours a semester while working 40 hours a week. 

Can’t rep any more today but your daughter sounds like she kicks ass.  Hope my brats turn out that mature at that age.  

So if you remember BIL that drinks too much from my previous posts.....he’s in the hospital now getting tests done because they thought he had MS or something terrible. Turns out he’s drank himself into partial paralysis. Hard to do when you hold down a full time job.

But this thread is about me, damnit. That house is going to be dry as a bone for every holiday gathering in the future. I’m happy to do it to help my BIL......bit it was the only thing saving my sanity with the rest of the crew.

• 1 month later...

I'll start.  In-laws we're supposed to come down this Saturday.  Wife told them that they should stay at home instead.  Better to not risk anything.  For us or them.

FiL works at a hospital.  MiL works in a huge office building.

When my wife told broached the subject about postponing plans my MiL said "but we haven't been around anyone with Coronavirus.

JFC.  I mean.  As of yesterday they thought that's how it works.

They would've stopped at Buccees and HEB before they got here.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'll start.  In-laws we're supposed to come down this Saturday.  Wife told them that they should stay at home instead.  Better to not risk anything.  For us or them.

FiL works at a hospital.  MiL works in a huge office building.

When my wife told broached the subject about postponing plans my MiL said "but we haven't been around anyone with Coronavirus.

JFC.  I mean.  As of yesterday they thought that's how it works.

They would've stopped at Buccees and HEB before they got here.

I mean... it's kinda hard to argue with solid, geometric logic like that.  I just watched a 15 minute Joe Rogan segment someone shared with me. It's an interview with a scientist/doctor who specializes in infectious disease outbreaks like this.  

Seemed very reasonable, no hyperbole, the sky is falling (but he thinks this is a 4-6 month issue that will be potentially major) or that it's nothin g to worry about.  He said you can be contagious several days before you exhibit signs of the virus.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

My family is 1,600 miles away back in the greatest state so a FaceTime call yesterday was all we got. Easy peasy.

However our friends invited us over for her family Christmas dinner, held tonight. This is important: of our friends, he is a state rep and she runs a lobbying firm. Both democrats, both Warren supporters. This isn’t a secret and they’re both well known and respected by both political parties. 

I go over early in the afternoon to help cook and, of course, to drink. She warns us Christmas dinner might be interesting. I get excited cause I absolutely love family drama when I can be an in-person spectator.

Dinner is supposed to be at 5:30. 

Strike 1: At 6:15 her parents roll up, along with the uninvited niece and the niece’s rat terrier. 

Strike 2: Mom and dad are wearing MAGA gear.

Strike 3: 10 minutes into dinner the terrier tries to eat our friends’ poodle. The niece doesn’t care and when they tell her to lock her dog up she goes and sits in the car.

Strike ... 4?: after dinner. before dessert mom says she hopes they aren’t having children unless they start supporting Trump because her heart couldn’t take an indoctrinated grandchild.

They leave without even eating my banana pudding. 

Watching someone else’s family drama in person is better than any broadway show we’ve ever seen.

Very late to the party.  I don't know how I missed/forgot/fell behind this thread.  At any rate , this story made my evening for some demented reason.

• Like 2