Pixar's next movie - Soul

mdmost

Actually a great teaser/trailer.  Looks like Pixar is going back to it's roots of being original ideas and pushing some boundaries, and not just doing princesses and sequels. 

I know some will overrate based on the subject matter and characters(c'mon black lead and jazz music...hitting all the boxes), but looks a lot more like Inside Out(great) than some of the other crap they've put out.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I started watching this morning and then we had to leave. It was great what I got to see and I’m anxious to finish the rest of the movie. In those first 20 min or so I felt like it was a mix of Heaven Can Wait, Defending Your Life, In and Out, Finding Nemo and La La Land only in Brooklyn. The music was terrific. 

Just now, Brandywine said:

I started watching this morning and then we had to leave. It was great what I got to see and I’m anxious to finish the rest of the movie. In those first 20 min or so I felt like it was a mix of Heaven Can Wait, Defending Your Life, In and Out, Finding Nemo and La La Land only in Brooklyn. The music was terrific. 

I meant Inside Out.

Watched it on Christmas Day with my wife and daughter, and we all really enjoyed it.  Similar feel to "Up" in that both deal more mature themes of loss and renewal (same writer/director, and Pete Docter also has a "story by" credit for Wall-E). As a former trombonist and someone who has loved jazz since middle school, I enjoyed how America's one true art form featured prominently. A bit of it went over my daughter's head (she's eight), but it gave us a chance to talk to her about enjoying the beauty of the moment, not taking things for granted, and finding her "spark."  As others have said, Reznor and Ross' score was brilliant.  It is definitely worth a viewing.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I really liked it. While the post credits were rolling I told my wife and daughter "you're listening to Nine Inch Nails". 

Mentioned something similar to my wife (minored in jazz piano in college), and her response was "Sure, but he also did that great Johnny Cash song." 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

I’d say Soul is more of an adult movie than the pretty adult Inside Out. I doubt there will be Soul toys or features at the parks. 

Pixar just wanted to make a good movie. I think + is the right place to park it. They’d be dealing with many confused parents right now asking for their $30 back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I loved it. The soundtrack was incredibly well done. I love jazz so the intermingling of it with Trent and Atticus' score was enjoyable. My younger kid (10) watched it with us and nothing seemed to go over her head. The animation in the spirit world was very interesting with the Jerrys and Terry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Really, really enjoyed this. It's probably in my top-10 of Pixar films. My 7 year old was able to sit through it and liked it, even if she didn't really understand some of the more metaphysical concepts of the film. My five year old didn't understand what was going on at all. This is "Pixar for adults".

Maybe it's the fact I didn't see it in a theatre, but in a room full of talking family members, but it just didn't hit me the same way Coco or Inside Out(the closest comparisons IMO) did.

Still definitely a good movie that I would recommend.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Maybe it's the fact I didn't see it in a theatre, but in a room full of talking family members, but it just didn't hit me the same way Coco or Inside Out(the closest comparisons IMO) did.

Still definitely a good movie that I would recommend.

Same here, we ‘watched’ it with my 4 and 7yo last night...only really caught the first 1/3rd, kids got too chatty by the second third and then it was bed time.  I’ll definitely watch it solo upstairs one night in the game room on my 70” plasma with the lights off, speakers turned up + the sub on.  

One thing I have to say about that first 1/3rd is that it was just about the most beautiful series of visuals I have ever seen in an animated flick.  We got a new 65” Samsung this year and the Beyond/Before elements just about knocked me over they were so gorgeous.  Really cannot say enough about how impressed I was...want to see it in the theater. 

Inside Out is one of my favorite movies...it took me a rewatch to really fall in love with it and fully absorb the concept.  I think it’ll be the same for Soul.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would definitely rank Coco above this in terms of visuals and story, but that may be personal preference from spending time in the village in Guanajuato where my FIL grew up and wife (no pics) lived a few years while she was a kid. They really nailed the look and feel of everything in that movie. The only thing missing was the haphazard electrical wiring stapled to the walls everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this movie with the kids. The only confusion was the metaphysical "accountant" and the confusion of "is he the bad guy?", which I think drives home the point people are making; it's not a kid's movie that follows a very clear kid hero journey and story arc with very clear antagonist and hero. Every character had a bit of hero in them and they all had antagonism in them, from 22 to Joe to the mom. 

I thought it was a creative movie and enjoyed the creative and visual attempts of showing the universe meta energy and the lost souls and astral plane.