Marriage Story - Noah Baumbach, Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver

Reynolds Woodcock

I thought I remembered seeing a thread, but can't find it. Limited theater release started yesterday, and it comes out on Netflix on December 6. 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I saw it last night (35mm was great). It's not my favorite movie of the year (that esteemed honor belongs to Parasite or Once Upon a Time), but it was a really good movie. Mostly sad, funny at times, and very well-acted (particularly by Driver and Laura Dern).  It will definitely be nominated for best picture and very well may win.

Maybe don't go see it if your relationship is shaky (or do if you are looking for a way out). 

• 1 month later...
I did not find the continued amicable relationship through the process to be realistic. 

Did you stop watching halfway through? Once he lawyered up with liotta it was anything but amicable til shit got done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the kid not to be worth the fight, frankly.   He wasn't so much an asshole as just kind of boring. 

giphy.gif

There are lots of stupid people who get divorces, but I found the fact that the main characters were in the modern, artsy theatre business  to be a bit of a crutch.  Boy that was a dumb decision, but I guess because they are creative types, it's okay. 

These assholes, on the other hand, would have taken no quarter.

source.gif

Watched the movie today and thought it was good. Adam driver has got some damn good range and while I thought Scarlett just cried the whole time, I think she did fine. The scene where they get in a big argument was pretty intense and probably the best part of the whole movie. 

This movie sure was proud of itself.  The backdrop of these characters being so wrapped up in their artsy careers and “New York people” vs “LA people” was also a turnoff.  And Laura Dern sucked.  But Driver and ScarJo acted their asses off so you can see why it’s getting acclaim.

I watched it with my wife and even though neither of us particularly liked it, we both agreed it was effective at showing how painful a divorce might be.

• Like 3

I'd say I enjoyed it. Is it worth your time? Yeah, maybe for married people, I guess. Some of the stuff resonated with me. Agree about the pretentious LA vs. NY arts angle.

And, yes, while I am not a huge fan of Dern, I generally like her early work (Mask, Wild at Heart). Her acting in this one was over the goddamn top and not believable. "I'd just like to pick your brain" while strutting around the conference table. Give me a break.

Excellent work by Driver. The court-appointed observer scenes were top notch -- patricularly the dinner and knife sequences.

I also appreciated the concept -- the demoralizing and grueling nature of a divorce. Never had one, never want one so it's interesting to see a portrayal from the safe confines of whatever it is that I have. Divorce sounds horrifying.

• Like 1

And, yes, while I am not a huge fan of Dern, I generally like her early work (Mask, Wild at Heart). Her acting in this one was over the goddamn top and not believable. "I'd just like to pick your brain" while strutting around the conference table. Give me a break.

Lulz she just won a golden globe for it.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Saw it at Alamo this afternoon and thought it was really good. It dragged a bit at times but as someone who went through divorce recently, it was a pretty accurate depiction IMO. I was a little worried going to see it having been divorced so recently but I was mostly ok until the scene where the kid finds the letter.

• 2 weeks later...