Vienna, Austria

Moby Ric

SIAP did not find anything specific on this city.  Wife and I are seriously thinking about booking a trip there next month right before Christmas.  I have never been there so I am looking for some tips.  I know they have some Christmas markets that are supposed to be awesome so I am sure that will be a part of our trip.

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

SIAP did not find anything specific on this city.... I have never been there so I am looking for some tips. 

You should ask for specific tips.  Cliff notes: it's a spectacularly beautiful, awesome city, but the food mostly sucks.  Totes worth a visit of minimum 4, 5 days.

Great city, absolutely enjoyed it when we went.  We walked more than we rode the metro but it to was easy to use.  Metro is on the honor system so it appeared to me that no one was paying for the metro but someone told me that that most do have a pass.  Apparently they randomly check and if they catch you without a metro pass you get fined on the spot.  So i just bit the bullet and paid for one.  I didn't seek out fine dining so i'd agree that food was nothing special, but there was plenty of good wine though.  Definitely try to hear some music while there. Read up on your history before you go.   https://www.austria.info/us/basic-facts/about-austria/history

Edited by RollLeft

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

You should ask for specific tips.  Cliff notes: it's a spectacularly beautiful, awesome city, but the food mostly sucks.  Totes worth a visit of minimum 4, 5 days.

Food sucked. Get drunk on mulled wine instead! 

I was okay in Vienna. I’m not that into opulent Habsburg bullshit, but some cool history.
Actually did have an amazing meal there at Ilona Stuberl. Hungarian restaurant, it was like eating in someone’s home, and it was amazing.
And the Austrian military history museum was super cool. See this?
e68dd6a59f465686dea2df0986a2eb86.jpg
Archduke Ferdinand’s car, with bullet holes. They also have his bloody clothes, and some more amazing shit from WWI, and from the Battle of Vienna.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

e68dd6a59f465686dea2df0986a2eb86.jpg
Archduke Ferdinand’s car, with bullet holes. They also have his bloody clothes, and some more amazing shit from WWI, and from the Battle of Vienna.

That museum was figuratively in my back yard.  Its part of the arsenal barracks/military complex, thats been converted to residential apartments where we lived.  Then we later bought a house on the literal center of the napoleonic battle in vienna.

Arsenal_Objekt_3_DSC_7902w.jpg

If you want to read ahead of time, I suggest picking up this book

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Vienna-Locations-Corners-Unusual/dp/3950366261/ref=sr_1_29?keywords=vienna+guide&qid=1573219808&sr=8-29

All other books just summarizes the major highlights found on any generic website.  This shows you all the neat details people walk right on by. Examples:

Stock_im_Eisen.png

That's a 600 year old section of a tree that locals and passing smith/craftsmen/guildsmen drove nails into, for good luck.  They're called Nagelbaum. 

Gallery-Now-Wehrmann-in-Eisen-Rundgang-RIMG_20170928_153659.jpg

Similar theme.  This is a Wehrmann statue made out of nails, built as propaganda to raise funds for the military during the austro-hungarian empire. 

Most people walk by this stuff and have no idea of the significance. 

Downtown many of the buildings have large ornate courtyards (Hof) that are open to the public, either housing shops/restaurants, or simply just to view.  Tourists might be disinclined to enter because from the outside it looks youre passing private grounds, being behind the main facade.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Any specific part of town to stay in

Any specific way to get around town like is a train or taxi or walking is better

Any specific restaurant Rec's

Any specific Bar Rec's

Any specific shopping Rec's

Only going really to soak up the city and do some shopping for a couple days.

3 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Any specific part of town to stay in

City is geographically small, so almost doesnt matter where you stay.  Inner district aka innere stadt (#1) is fully walkable.  Most city hotels circle the ring road and are all well placed, although anywhere else as long as its near metro station is fine too.  Best case scenario, area surrounding Parlament is the hippest.

Any specific way to get around town like is a train or taxi or walking is better

Inner district walkable.  Public transport is walk-on walk-off with infrequent, random checks.  Uber is very effective.  Then multitude of e-scooter rentals.  The city-operated docking rental bikes are free.  Put your credit in machine for initial $1 charge.  Then subsequent uses are free within <2 hours per rental, if you return it to any docking location.  But it's cold so you'll probably walk + Uber.

Any specific restaurant Rec's

Woracziczky.  Cafe Central.  Cafe Landtmann.  Cafe Schwarzenberg.  (Cafes have full food options.)  Demel for deserts.  Beisels like Griechenbeisl are cool for atmosphere.  Theres some high end dining and such, but overall its nothing you would prioritize. 

Any specific Bar Rec's

Sofitel rooftop.  25 hour hotel rooftop.  Do&co rooftop.  Theyre extremely busy so reserve a day ahead.  Lots of open-air bars along the Danube but only appropriate for summer.  Small-to-tiny wine bars are cool if you enjoy that atmosphere.  I like Szigeti Comptoir.  (you bring in snacks and order bottles of sparkling wine...prices are super far)

Any specific shopping Rec's

Unique stuff:  porcelain from Augarten (Vienna), and Gmunder Keramik (different part of country).  Swarovski crystals if you like gay stuff.  Huge Leica store/shop/museum if you like cameras, even if just window-shopping.  Other cool things are country/hunting garments, heavy country woolen stuff ("Loden" fabric).  Local wines are great/under appreciated.  And theres always mozart/music/klimmt related stuff on the popular Kitschy side

Only going really to soak up the city and do some shopping for a couple days.

I stayed at the Intercontinental.  Right next to the park.  Easy walk into the heart of the city.   Lots to do and see within walking distance.  Great bar at hotel.  Ask for Franz.  He's been tending there for 20 years.   Was a bit of a drive/taxi out the the palace for that concert.   

3 things I know about Austria:
1)The hills are alive with the sound of music
2) They have a boy's choir they are very proud of, they sound like girls
3) They have some horses that are quite prancy for being stallions

Also....still a bit Nazi-ish. They have some actual nazi shit in the military museum. It’s couched in words of shame, but compared to how the Germans address it...yeah...

7a4d77be7168a4e919083cac67906cd0.jpg

vienna is a beautiful, beautiful city...particularly during the holidays.  it is probably the city that most directly juxtaposes old and new in lots of ways.  being in the ringstrasse makes you feel like you went back a couple of centuries while the areas around it are comprised of modernity in planning/architecture.  while your standard austrian fare is kind of meh, there are a lot of really good restaurants and the pastries that dot every street are legit.

schloss schonbrunn is defintiely worth a visit...especially during xmas.  don't get lost in the hedge maze and die shining style though.  belvedere will be great at that time as well.  christmas morning boy's choir would probably be cool. 

salzburg is definitely worth a visit.

• Like 1