Eat What You Kill - Game Recipes, Food Prons

Anastasis

On 12/3/2019 at 10:49 AM, CHIEF said:

Don't have a walk in cooler, but something I've started doing the last 10 years or so, is pack all the meat into a cooler and keep it covered with ice for a week or two. Draining the blood off each day, and replenishing the ice. This drains the meat nicely of blood. I found this method out by just being too lazy to bone out and process what I had killed, and just kept it cold till I felt like doing it. Blind hog, acorn, and all.

CHIEF

I don't like deer soaked in ice.  Keep it cool and dry

https://www.facebook.com/notes/bourgeois-meat-market/hunters-stop-soaking-your-deer-meat-in-ice-water/1075958399180245

15895752_1075958912513527_53832950835813

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
The Mexia side of the family really liked squirrel, but they died out before I could get to one of their reunions. I assume it's nasty as hell if you didn't grow up with it?

Yeah but could you get squirrel at Jim’s crispy fried chicken or at wrights bbq?

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I need to step up my mushroom game and find some better ones to use with stroganoff.  My local heb sucks.

I scavenged my H-E-B for a mix of shiitake and crimini. I feel strongly about shiitake mushrooms.

ETA: I miss the bins of mushrooms at CM Lamar. 

Edited by Anastasis

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there is an existing thread for this, so I'll move my post here

My brother wants me to smoke a huge boar ham...or whatever cut it is but equivalent of a ham of a wild boar. I've heard bad things about wild boar meat. Is this going to suck? Any recs of how to brine and smoke it?

1 hour ago, Spur08 said:

Apparently there is an existing thread for this, so I'll move my post here

My brother wants me to smoke a huge boar ham...or whatever cut it is but equivalent of a ham of a wild boar. I've heard bad things about wild boar meat. Is this going to suck? Any recs of how to brine and smoke it?

This one looks good but you have to brine for 6 days.

https://huntcookeat.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/smoked-wild-pig-ham/

Google “smoked wild hog ham” and there are a ton of options.

• Like 1

Tried the search function and this one didn't come up. Let the other one die a slow death...

For those wondering what to do with deer backstrap, my mom and daughter made this over Christmas.

Pesto Stuffed Backstrap

Butterfly backstrap

Tenderize venison backstrap

Spread with generous amount of pesto

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese

Roll up and place in oiled baking dish, rolled side down

Bake @ 400° to medium rare ~15 minutes

Served with bacon wrapped asparagus0b7562f7a4e3fd851fd32153b3d1a141.jpg4770c107d340534e0719fa08f45fd785.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, Spur08 said:

Anyone have a good venison jerky recipe?  Got a bottom round that I want to make into jerky. 

Lots worsty, a little soy, salt, lots and lots and lots of pepper, onion powder, some garlic powder. Throw in bag and marinate for a couple days then dehydrate.  I wish I kept better track of quantities but that is probably a good start.  Last batch I added a good measure of trappeys ghost pepper sauce to the marinade and it turns out exceptional.  Add more than you think you need. Not light your face on fire at all, but a very nice heat. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Lots worsty, a little soy, salt, lots and lots and lots of pepper, onion powder, some garlic powder. Throw in bag and marinate for a couple days then dehydrate.  I wish I kept better track of quantities but that is probably a good start.

Yep that’s the exact recipe I always use for jerky.  Eyeball everything but the general idea is spot on.  I’ve thrown in some red pepper flakes for heat if I want it a little spicy, but I usually only do that to about ⅓ of the batch.  I prefer most of it more traditional.

Well I am not really pleased with how this turned out.  I think going 24h in the drink was an error.  This turned out way too mushy. Have never had this problem with shanks or short ribs or other cuts, but this roast meat didn't hold up well. Flavors were fine by texture was off putting. 

5-F7-D4635-8528-453-E-AE01-4-AF102-F479-

15-DE5-BFE-048-F-4-CD6-A385-E2946-F59941

FF5-D56-CB-A2-A4-4-D26-83-ED-EAD0-C3318-

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2020 at 5:35 PM, Anastasis said:

Well I am not really pleased with how this turned out.  I think going 24h in the drink was an error.  This turned out way too mushy. Have never had this problem with shanks or short ribs or other cuts, but this roast meat didn't hold up well. Flavors were fine by texture was off putting. 

5-F7-D4635-8528-453-E-AE01-4-AF102-F479-

15-DE5-BFE-048-F-4-CD6-A385-E2946-F59941

FF5-D56-CB-A2-A4-4-D26-83-ED-EAD0-C3318-

What's left? Sounds like you should chop that shit up fine and put it in chili or a soup or something. 

• 3 weeks later...

I leave my backstraps whole and cut them to my desired thickness depending who I’m cooking for. This one I butterflied, got my cast hot, sprinkled some of this on and cooked for a couple minutes per side. About as simple as can be to be honest.
ae4f892344b77fd3d7fcaee9d4b3801c.jpg

Tonight I’m chicken frying some backstrap and some pheasant as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This one post has really changed how I feed my family our whitetail. Cooked it up last night (with some mods). Bigtime Tapa rep. fbb5234c208457ddd70f653db576a2ab.jpg
  • Like 2

This one post has really changed how I feed my family our whitetail. Cooked it up last night (with some mods). Bigtime Tapa rep. fbb5234c208457ddd70f653db576a2ab.jpg

Believe it or not I used it just tonight to season some walleye filets before I pan seared them. Usually do lemon pepper, but we’re out so I decided to try this blackened Sask. Absolutely phenomenal on the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 11:39 AM, Johnny Sack said:

I like to cut my backstrap into small pieces when frying.  Cooks faster so more tender.

I have my butcher cut my backstrap 2". For chicken fry, I gut that into 2-3 slices, and pound out with the mallet. I agree, I like thin pieces of meat with a good battering. 

When fresh in camp yoou can also cut larger sections of backstrap and then slice it thin, long ways.

You get larger thin strip more like a CFS. 

i also cut mine out into filet sized steaks.   If I want to grill/sear they are ready to roll, but if I decide to fry I cut an X half way through, lay it open and pound out to equal thickness.  That way I can have one cut vacuumed and frozen and use it different ways. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy shit this was good. First time doing a venison backstrap au poivre. 

125 deg sous vide, rolled in fresh cracked peppercorns after sous vide, seared, removed, shallots sauted in a bit of butter with the fond, added cognac and beef stock, added cream, added butter. 

08-B81-AAB-9645-42-CE-BF25-6023-A70-E7-A

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No pics yet for obvious reasons, but spending way too much time watching Meateater and Steve Rinella and asking myself why I always seem to overlook the neck and shoulder cuts and why I never break out the croc pot for these?  This year it's croc pot venison tacos, enchiladas, and sliders!

No pics yet for obvious reasons, but spending way too much time watching Meateater and Steve Rinella and asking myself why I always seem to overlook the neck and shoulder cuts and why I never break out the croc pot for these?  This year it's croc pot venison tacos, enchiladas, and sliders!
Croc pot or I usually go with the Instant Pot.

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A friend of mine sent me this and I’ve been meaning to use it on some scrap stuff I have in the freezer.  It isn’t enough to make sausage with.  

Approximately 5-8 pounds of forequarters, neck, and scraps of venison. All sinewy bits can stay. They break down completely during the cooking process. Just about any cut can be used for this process but I can find other uses for hind quarters, backstrap, and tenderloins.
1/2 pound of Crisco or Lard
Beef stock or water as needed
Any seasoning salt you choose
A large turkey-roasting pan with a lid

Set oven to 350 degrees. Arrange meat to cover the bottom of the roaster. I’ve used bone-in fore quarters before. By the time the cooking process is over, the meat falls from the bone. Season meat liberally with the seasoning salt of your choice. I’ve also used special blends from the market that feature chili powder, cumin, and/or onion powder. Dab shortening or lard over meat. Add about an inch of stock to pan. This is not intended to cover the meat. Cover with lid and place roaster in 350 degree oven.
After the first hour, turn meat with tongs so that exposed sides will now be submerged in stock and meat juices. You may add additional seasoning at this point. Cover and return to oven for another hour. Repeat this process (omitting the seasoning) each hour, checking to see that there is enough liquid in the pan. Add extra stock or water as needed each hour to maintain at least an inch depth. After four hours, see if meat is pulling apart easily. If a fore quarter is used, it should have completely fallen off the bone. If meat is not yet tender enough, repeat the process and add another 1/2 hour or so. Ovens and temperatures vary so it’s important to keep that in mind.
The house will smell wonderful. Since this method provides enough meat for several recipes, be prepared. Your family will want to eat it right out of the pan. You can throw in some potatoes, carrots, and onions during the last hour of cooking for an easy meal. Be sure to save all the stock and meat juices for other recipes and/or gravy. This meat can also be frozen for future use. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...