Eat What You Kill - Game Recipes, Food Prons

Anastasis

I’ll cross-post here.  Was going to use straight venison to do a batch of albondigas, but my old lady insisted I do a double batch to provide for my daughter and her husband next door with a newborn.  So I made about 50 meatballs from venison mixed with beef and filled up the large crockpot.  Note - if you are going to put these in a slow cooker, boil the meatballs in some of the broth for a few minutes before throwing them in the slow cooker.  Keeps them from falling apart.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

Damn that looks good. 

It was tasty. The broth is sautéed carrots, onion, garlic and bay leaves, add beef stock and a can of crushed tomatoes, I also added adobo Chile and and some tomato cilantro bullion stuff.  Then the meatballs are made with the meat, egg, uncooked rice, salt pepper and some cumin and mint, if you have mint.  Add chopped potatoes.  Toward the end add peas and green beans if you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I get a ruling on re-freezing game meat.  I have a bunch that I don't particularly feel like processing further at the moment.  All deboned and everything.  Can I freeze and then thaw when I want to get around to making some sausage and then refreeze without any problems.  I think that I read somewhere that you can freeze-thaw-refreeze without any issues as long as you change the "form" of the meat...example, blending and stuffing sausage. We're not talking steaks or anything here, this would all go into chili grind or sausage. 

Can I get a ruling on re-freezing game meat.  I have a bunch that I don't particularly feel like processing further at the moment.  All deboned and everything.  Can I freeze and then thaw when I want to get around to making some sausage and then refreeze without any problems.  I think that I read somewhere that you can freeze-thaw-refreeze without any issues as long as you change the "form" of the meat...example, blending and stuffing sausage. We're not talking steaks or anything here, this would all go into chili grind or sausage. 
You'll be fine doing it that way.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That makes sense to me.  Things like straps and tenderloins cooked whole would suffer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Venison chili. 

2# stew meat, 1# ground put through the big holes one. Doe I took last week.  Also picked up my processed buck from opening day.  Freezer is looking very right.  Gonna get at least one more doe to turn into sausage and should be in a pretty good spot for the year.

Made a venison bone stock, used that as the juice to go in the blender with the chilis. Also added about a cup of the chili water. 

E32-A9-BE7-E537-429-F-A9-C8-DD3393-FA4-F

6-D1-F1110-A702-468-A-9559-7-F2-B2793-DE

DDF2-BEB9-C132-4-DDF-87-B1-DB0-F70-D4568

Everything else pretty much riffing off @jimmyjazz's recipe here with minor tweaks to spices: 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, Anastasis said:

Venison Bolognese, followed Jess Pryles recipe more closely, with more tomato paste, venison bone stock, and added about 1/2 cup cream at the end. 

4-A4-A44-DC-5069-4-EBF-BB8-D-0006-B4-B26

CBFCF4-EC-DC45-4-C7-D-A759-0-E473-EBF527 

Have you had some professional training? Your creations are imaginative, well thought out, almost script like. And tasty looking as hell.  Even the presentation is spot on.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Have you had some professional training? Your creations are imaginative, well thought out, almost script like. And tasty looking as hell.  Even the presentation is spot on.

Damn man, I appreciate the hell out of that compliment. 

I mostly just follow recipes and stuff, with a few bits of inspiration here and there.

Gonna break out my grandmas cookbook this weekend and make some sausage. 

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Butterflied duck breast, pounded out to tenderize and marinated in allegro.
Then spread cream cheese and banana peppers, rolled up with bacon wrapped.
Grilled till bacon was done.
The 2 teal I just made them into duck nugget wraps.

That looks fucking good.  Never been duck hunting, but I think I need to go to there. 

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Then spread cream cheese and banana peppers, rolled up with bacon wrapped.
Grilled till bacon was done.
The 2 teal I just made them into duck nugget wraps.2454043c55296bdb28db4bddfeaddcb7.jpg

Love me some allegro, their hot and spicy is great.  I sometimes chop some onions up and put them in foil and pour the marinade I use on the meat on the onions and cook them, delicious.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, Hook1997 said:

Love me some allegro, their hot and spicy is great.  I sometimes chop some onions up and put them in foil and pour the marinade I use on the meat on the onions and cook them, delicious.

Take a 1015, peel, cut off the top and scoop out about 1/3 of the center with a grapefruit spoon.  Put a dollop of butter and a generous slug of Allegro in the cavity.  Wrap in foil and bake or cook in the coals of a fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, Both Tacos said:

On 11/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, Hook1997 said:

Love me some allegro, their hot and spicy is great.

On 12/6/2020 at 6:34 PM, Reagan1k said:

Put a dollop of butter and a generous slug of Allegro in the cavity.

Never knew of Allegro until these posts. Marinated & grilled a pork tenderloin tonight in the Original (store didn't have Hot), shit was pretty damn good. Thanks, boys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So always trying to figure out something to do with these shanks.  I think this nails it. Melted collagen.  Even better than lamb shanks imo

Four fore end shanks

lots of pepper

salt

teaspoon allspice

pinch of clove

dash of thyme

4 garlic cloves

1 dried new mexico chile (sub ancho or a few guajillos with no reservations)

1 onion, chopped and sauted

2 bay leaves

1 cup red wine

2 cups venison stock (sub beef stock with no reservations)

Coat shanks in oil, salt and pepper and sear. I did these in oven on broil right out of freezer cause didn't plan ahead. Add the rest of the ingredients in crock pot. Add shanks. Cook on high while you go down to the lake for a long time to throw the football with the boy (prob 5+ hours). Come back to a house that smells like heaven.

9083-B1-BD-5148-4-C77-8270-64-B009-E3-C3

CB1520-E8-2-A72-4-AF3-82-BA-C1753-A04804

1-CD4-BC60-6-D62-4843-85-FA-3-F88-C4-FC54-F1-CF53-A-8915-49-C5-AD6-F-18-B553-A98

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

I do this every year. I trim, freeze, and process when all tags are filled.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
11 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:
What temp did you take that backstrap to?

I wanted to only go to 130 but I was trying to get the bacon done more at the last with the broiler so it crept up to 135-140.

Thanks.  Planning on doing bacon wrapped backstrap on my grill.  What did you stuff it with? 

Thanks.  Planning on doing bacon wrapped backstrap on my grill.  What did you stuff it with? 
Cooked up half package of bacon, then reserved a little of the bacon grease to saute onions, garlic and mushrooms. Crumble up bacon and add all ingredients to one package of cream cheese in a mixing bowl, along with salt and pepper. You can add red pepper if you want some heat or sliced jalapenos. Mix well and them spread on butterflied backstrap.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/12/2020 at 8:55 PM, hookemATL said:

So a buddy recently went bow fishing and ended up killing a large beaver.  He was kind enough to share some of the meat, but I’m at a loss for what to do with it. Stew? Smoke it and do pulled pork style?

throw it away and tell him it was delicious

this is America. You do not have to eat a fucking beaver.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 8:55 PM, hookemATL said:

So a buddy recently went bow fishing and ended up killing a large beaver.  He was kind enough to share some of the meat, but I’m at a loss for what to do with it. Stew? Smoke it and do pulled pork style?

I'm late to the game here, but what did you end up doing?  What cuts did you have?

I've only ever had it in stew, and it was good.  Also had fried beaver tail which was interesting.  

On 12/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, luke duke said:

Some of you assholes need to invite me hunting. I haven’t shot a whitetail in about 3 years.

I’d invite you down to shoot one from my porch, but the last couple times we interacted I figured you’d be scared to be around me and firearms.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got around to making a batch of sausage. 

Used a Castroville sausage recipe.  Made some plain, some with cheese, some with jap and cheddar, some with jab and habanero cheddar. Also some breakfast links. About 40 lbs all in.  Had my BIL helping me out.  Got a bit to optimize the workflow but I feel like we did a pretty good job with things. 

BE60-D16-D-FAA6-4-DA4-A5-E7-B840-BDBA3-C

28586610-C7-B3-4-BBE-94-FA-9-B996-A6-C46

FCC30-B96-9959-46-CB-AAE2-6-E08-CEE48-CE

5-F074-D40-3-E16-433-D-8778-3-BA61-BF8-B

3-B2-D01-A7-EF08-4-C67-95-CE-A2502-EAD19

This is the basic recipe scaled to 100lb. We ran a bit short on the coriander, and no pork belly to boost the fat content into 20% range, but it still turned out great.

Alsatian Jap and Cheese Venison Sausage  

Total Weight 100    

#'s oz's.  
Pork Butt (25% fat) 50.00 800.00 50%
Pork Belly (50% fat) 0.00 0.00  
Venison 50.00 800.00 50%
Salt 2.00 32.00 2.00%
Black Pepper 0.50 8.00 0.50%
Coriander 0.50 8.00 0.50%
Garlic 0.50 8.00 0.50%
Allspice dash    
Cloves dash    
Cheese 10.00 160.00 10.00%
Diced Japs 1.00 16.00 1.00%
Water 2.00 32.00 2.00%

Total 116.50    

Total fat 11%    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Nice!  We're making a batch next month.  I think I'm not going to smoke and water bath most of it this time, just freeze and smoke as we eat it.  Last year's batch seemed a little dry unless you steamed it.

Also I've never tried it, but a few guys will throw in a pound or 2 of salt pork that's been soaked in water a day or two (changing the water frequently) to add pork fat, instead of the pork belly.  I assume you'd have to cut back a little on the salt.  Traditionally you'd use "fatback" but heck if I know where to find that - it's what salt pork is made from.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag