Eat What You Kill - Game Recipes, Food Prons

Anastasis

At Anastasis’ request, here’s my Deer Camp Venison Diane.

here’s the recipe I used, obviously substituted with backstrap medallions.   

• 2 NY Strip steaks , 1 inch thick
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 medium shallot , grated
  • 2 tablespoons cognac
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons beef base
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  1. Season the steaks with salt and pepper on all sides.

2. Heat the butter in a heavy skillet or cast iron pan over medium high heat.

3. Add the steaks into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.

4. Remove the steak and reduce to medium heat and add in the shallot.

5. Cook for 30-45 seconds, then add the cognac.

6. Let cook for 10-15 seconds(careful it can ignite if near fire), then add in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, beef base and heavy cream.

7. Add in the steaks, cook for 45-60 seconds or until meat is cooked to medium rare.

8. Serve steak with sauce spooned over and chives or parsley as garnish.

I also didn’t sear the steaks first.  I used a whole stick of butter (maybe even a stick & 1/2, then simmered the shallot & garlic, added the other ingredients, and cooked the medallions directly in the sauce which helped to thicken it up with the blood.

This was on a 19 degree night outside of Breckenridge, TX.   Was an absolutely fabulous, hearty meal.   Cooked it right on the camp fire in a cast iron.  Had some baked potatoes that were placed right into the fire and some green beans with it.   Just me, Dad, and brother.   Was a fun weekend.   

this is such a great deer camp meal because it’s so damn easy, but so damn delicious.  

721A20AD-B7F5-4BEB-8DD1-52C490170E2B.jpeg

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 9

Made a coupe batches jerky.  ~4.25 lbs each wet yield 1.25 lbs each after drying.  I add 1tsp/5# pink cure salt per batch. You could use mortons or some other cure per their directions if you don't have pink salt. I used the hams off the last doe of the season. 

I don't get too worked up about exact quantities, but feel very strongly about the worsty to soy ratio.  Don't like too much soy. Second batch I added some cayenne and trappey's ghost pepper sauce to the marinade.  I have to hide a couple bags of this stuff, cause the kids will plow through it. Based on recipe I found somewhere on the net.

Cracked Black Pepper Venison Jerky

If you love the taste and heat of black pepper, this deer jerky recipe is the one for you. The marinade seasons the strips of venison with finely ground black pepper. And to really kick it up, cracked black pepper is sprinkled on before drying. Coarse ground black pepper can be used in place of cracked pepper.

1 cup of Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup of soy sauce

2 tablespoons of canning salt

3 tablespoons of fine grind black pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon of onion powder

This recipe is for five pounds of sliced venison. Combine the marinade with the meat and allow it to marinate overnight. Before drying, season with cracked or coarse ground black pepper if desired.

A3-A60664-4-DB9-46-AD-B22-B-E0-E3010-B25

Edited by Anastasis

I have some nilgai backstrap I'd like to cook this weekend. Would typically slice and pan fry. Any other good recs? Has anybody ever smoked a backstrap? Sous vide? Or stop trying to mess up a good thing?

I see the stuffed backstrap above that looks pretty delicious. Recipe?

6 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

I have some nilgai backstrap I'd like to cook this weekend. Would typically slice and pan fry. Any other good recs? Has anybody ever smoked a backstrap? Sous vide? Or stop trying to mess up a good thing?

I see the stuffed backstrap above that looks pretty delicious. Recipe?

Highly recommend au poivre...sous vide, sear, pan sauce...upthread...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cross-post with the sausage thread.  Took my first stab with sausage.  We had two whitetails from this season.  In addition to ground and breakfast sausage, we did link, jalapeno cheddar and Italian.  Lots of work, but turned out pretty good for our first try.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Spaulding Smails
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Venison back strap. White tail. Mostly corn fed

-cut into medallion form
-marinate for 2-3 days in Italian dressing, or any combination of oil, vinegar, and spices you like. I’ve made my own marinade, and I’ve just gone store bought too.
-Sear on grill, eat rare to medium rare

3f7ec7e78ae8aa39cf5538cb27cf968a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 1/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, Trey3216 said:

At Anastasis’ request, here’s my Deer Camp Venison Diane.

here’s the recipe I used, obviously substituted with backstrap medallions.   

• 2 NY Strip steaks , 1 inch thick
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 medium shallot , grated
  • 2 tablespoons cognac
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons beef base
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  1. Season the steaks with salt and pepper on all sides.

2. Heat the butter in a heavy skillet or cast iron pan over medium high heat.

3. Add the steaks into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.

4. Remove the steak and reduce to medium heat and add in the shallot.

5. Cook for 30-45 seconds, then add the cognac.

6. Let cook for 10-15 seconds(careful it can ignite if near fire), then add in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, beef base and heavy cream.

7. Add in the steaks, cook for 45-60 seconds or until meat is cooked to medium rare.

8. Serve steak with sauce spooned over and chives or parsley as garnish.

I also didn’t sear the steaks first.  I used a whole stick of butter (maybe even a stick & 1/2, then simmered the shallot & garlic, added the other ingredients, and cooked the medallions directly in the sauce which helped to thicken it up with the blood.

This was on a 19 degree night outside of Breckenridge, TX.   Was an absolutely fabulous, hearty meal.   Cooked it right on the camp fire in a cast iron.  Had some baked potatoes that were placed right into the fire and some green beans with it.   Just me, Dad, and brother.   Was a fun weekend.   

this is such a great deer camp meal because it’s so damn easy, but so damn delicious.  

721A20AD-B7F5-4BEB-8DD1-52C490170E2B.jpeg

Going to add this to my rotation.  Looks fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 9:08 AM, Anastasis said:

Made a coupe batches jerky.  ~4.25 lbs each wet yield 1.25 lbs each after drying.  I add 1tsp/5# pink cure salt per batch. You could use mortons or some other cure per their directions if you don't have pink salt. I used the hams off the last doe of the season. 

I don't get too worked up about exact quantities, but feel very strongly about the worsty to soy ratio.  Don't like too much soy. Second batch I added some cayenne and trappey's ghost pepper sauce to the marinade.  I have to hide a couple bags of this stuff, cause the kids will plow through it. Based on recipe I found somewhere on the net.

Cracked Black Pepper Venison Jerky

If you love the taste and heat of black pepper, this deer jerky recipe is the one for you. The marinade seasons the strips of venison with finely ground black pepper. And to really kick it up, cracked black pepper is sprinkled on before drying. Coarse ground black pepper can be used in place of cracked pepper.

1 cup of Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup of soy sauce

2 tablespoons of canning salt

3 tablespoons of fine grind black pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon of onion powder

This recipe is for five pounds of sliced venison. Combine the marinade with the meat and allow it to marinate overnight. Before drying, season with cracked or coarse ground black pepper if desired.

A3-A60664-4-DB9-46-AD-B22-B-E0-E3010-B25

How do you dry/smoke your jerky?

51 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:
Picked up a bunch of meat from the processor, so invited some family over for venison bolognese. Had some ground lamb and pork in there as well.  Slammed and went hard.

8824-A54-B-F8-DA-4946-874-F-B69-CBAB00752.jpg

Need to share that recipe.

Was mostly a riff off of this one: https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-slow-cooked-bolognese-sauce-recipe with some cross referencing to this one: https://jesspryles.com/venison-bolognese-recipe/

There was (some) consumption involved, so would not follow this as an exact recipe at all, but basically followed the serious eats recipe with modifications (no liver, no need for pancetta, etc. . 

Scaled to 3# venison, 1# lamb, 1# pork

Brown the meats in oil. Drain the fat on the lamb (wife's note). Salt and pepper heavily. Set aside.

Cook the carrots, onions, celery (basically ~2+ cups each), maybe 8 cloves minced garlic. Remember this was 5# meat. 

Add thyme, sage, oregano, parsley (see recipes above and gauge amounts).

Get that stuff going all magic, add back the meat and throw in some bay leaves.

Add 1/2-3/4 bottle of wine and enough stock to get really wet (3/4-1 qt). Cook it down and the alcohol off. Chug remaining wine. 

Once that's thick add tomato paste (12 oz in my case) stir that shit around and add some more stock. Cook a bit.

Add pureed whole tomatoes (I did ~32 oz). Add more stock if you think it needs it (I prefer thicker gravy, added another quart and cooked it down). Cook that shit a while. Skim the fat. Add more parsley towards end. 

I added dairy (1cup whole and then 1 cup cream right towards the end) and parm at the very very end. Have burnt the fuck out of some batches in past with dairy (esp cream) involved too early with the simmer. 

This was a shit load of meat, so don't do anything based on these quantities. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made a pretty hardy vegetable soup with venison shanks. Use to throw these things away, but definitely keepers now for soups and stews. No need to mess around with a separate stock, just make it with the shanks by braising a few hours and then add the vegetables, a bit of tomato paste, and seasonings. This one should have been supplemented with some additional stew meat, but flavor is crazy good. 

Gonna do Jesse Griffith's onion soup recipe in near future.

3-A932-D2-B-1-D10-470-B-A6-B6-AC57-DF2-A

9-CC39707-479-C-4-EE6-B0-AE-B60-C66-A64-

8-C9-D8-B7-B-22-A3-4-A7-E-89-C7-3-DD2-EE

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Not so much what *I* killed, but a friend of mine butchered one of their prime hogs a couple months ago.  When he came out to hunt and make sausage, he left two giant bags containing the whole skin from the pig in my freezer.  Probably between 20/30lbs.  

This weekend, there will be an attempt to turn that into edible chicharrones, or something.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Made a pretty hardy vegetable soup with venison shanks. Use to throw these things away, but definitely keepers now for soups and stews. No need to mess around with a separate stock, just make it with the shanks by braising a few hours and then add the vegetables, a bit of tomato paste, and seasonings. This one should have been supplemented with some additional stew meat, but flavor is crazy good. 

Gonna do Jesse Griffith's onion soup recipe in near future.

3-A932-D2-B-1-D10-470-B-A6-B6-AC57-DF2-A

9-CC39707-479-C-4-EE6-B0-AE-B60-C66-A64-

8-C9-D8-B7-B-22-A3-4-A7-E-89-C7-3-DD2-EE

My co-worker made some of this and while I didn't have it right after it was cooked,  it was fantastic warmed over the next day.

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Not so much what *I* killed, but a friend of mine butchered one of their prime hogs a couple months ago.  When he came out to hunt and make sausage, he left two giant bags containing the whole skin from the pig in my freezer.  Probably between 20/30lbs.  

This weekend, there will be an attempt to turn that into edible chicharrones, or something.  

I would think this would be right up @Brisketexan alley. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this is a total savory umami bomb.

Wife was making the recipe below. Which looked awesome, but clearly needed some protein.

I have some ham steaks from my processor. Seasoned and seared two of them in some oil. In the pan with the good stuff threw some minced shiitake and seasoned. Cooked that for a while. Added some onion and garlic, cooked that for a while. Added some beef broth, some shiitake caps in there, and threw in the ham meat (sliced thin at this point) along with the marrow.  Covered and simmered until it got to a nice happy place while the spousal figure did the fried rice thing and cooked up some seasoned green beans. 

Big serving of the fried rice on bottom, venison with gravy on top, mix some of the green beans in for good measure.  If you like the savory, you will like this.

8-B34-B912-B082-4896-A5-D3-F3-A23695-FDA

38-A65824-12-B9-4723-9-C7-B-7-AB9-B5-A08

4-C03-A5-C2-914-B-49-EE-B8-CC-657-CCD939

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I have no idea what oryx tastes like but it looks good.

This weekend I'm re-heating a batch of venison Nihari, with some naan and raita.  We made the nihari one weekend when we were making sausage, and froze/vacuum sealed about a gallon of it.  

oryx.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1