Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

hornhorn

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Meh - sometimes billionaries are people who are great leaders.  Weird.

If you have the best candidate and he happens to have a billion in the bank...I'll vote for that guy or gal. 

Fair, but do you think Bloomberg fits that bill?  I honestly don't know.

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you have the best candidate and he happens to have a billion in the bank...I'll vote for that guy or gal

It’s still a big red flag for me.  You’d have to be one extraordinary billionaire.  The fact these guys think they can just swoop in and buy a Presidential election without putting in the legwork is really offensive to the Democratic process. 

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Watching these billionaires throw money at vanity campaigns really underscores the reality that relying on them to make wise stewardship decisions in philanthropy is folly.

LOL, he was the mayor of NYC.  It's not like this is Trump.  Of course you hate him because he's a billionaire and I don't think he's a good candidate but putting him in same category as Steyer or Trump is comical. 

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fair, but do you think Bloomberg fits that bill?  I honestly don't know.

I don't think he's good.  He's a middle of the road boring.  The votes in the middle will go his route imo.  There's going to be millions of votes who would never admit to voting for Trump but will hold their nose and vote for him if the D's have somebody on the far left.  I personally think Warren cuts to the middle after the primary and will roll Trump but if she doesn't moderate her tone a little these polls showing a 5% win over Trump will definitely not hold up.  We all know people don't admit they're voting for Trump - and still do.  Look at this site - pretty much nobody voted for Trump (supposedly). 

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s still a big red flag for me.  You’d have to be one extraordinary billionaire.  The fact these guys think they can just swoop in and buy a Presidential election without putting in the legwork is really offensive to the Democratic process. 

It's a red flag and I'd vet those guys more carefully...but I still think I'd vote for a billionaire if they're the best candidate.  We have elections full of shit options - all the time, sadly. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

source.gif

"On the bright side," we've also got orher choices who aren't married to or aren't co-conspirators with any of those schmucks. So, we've got that going for us, heh?

Edited by bolverk

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

"On the bright side," we've also got orher choices who aren't married to or aren't co-conspirators with any of those schmucks. So, we've got that going for us, heh?

Yeah.  Let's see how this plays out.  Maybe you don't get Uncle Joe. Lol. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, he was the mayor of NYC.  It's not like this is Trump.  Of course you hate him because he's a billionaire and I don't think he's a good candidate but putting him in same category as Steyer or Trump is comical. 

This. Bloomberg didn’t need to run nyc for 11 years and did a pretty good job by most accounts. I’m sure it was far from perfect but perfect isn’t the goal.

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Firebird Veep Uncle Joe is great. Mr. President Uncle Joe, though better than Crazy Uncle Donny President, isn't much more than a consolation "stability" prize.

Curious, from the announced field, who's your preferred right now?

Other

Of course I'm failing miserably you because it's right in your wheelhouse and yes they do have a couple quality people Bernie and Mrs. Warren other than that trash 

I know this will start a different thread of responses so my bad but I'm drunk. I just want to know, why do you support Trump? Not talking shit to you just a legit question, fee free to pm your answer if you want I'm just generally curious. Everyone I ask between family, friends, and co-workers say they don't really support him but are Republican so they vote R. Drunk rambling butba legit question by me.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I don't know anything about the guy.

No one wants him to run, but he's going to anyway and get millions and millions of dollars in free publicity because he's a billionaire who is a major owner/player in the media world that will be covering him.

That, alone, is enough to immediately discount him and hate him.

But here's some more...

He was a Republican until 2018.

He made billions as Generic Wall Street Guy, doing nothing good, necessary, or important.

He's jumping in because even Pete fucking Buttigieg is too left-wing for his  tastes.

Again, he's a fucking billionaire that no one likes or wants to run. It's a vanity project, and you should automatically hate vanity projects.

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

Why couldn't Epstein be in that photo as well?

He was taking the picture.  Bill and Donald are checking out the 12 yo girl standing to the left of him.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Edit: seriously. Look at the pic again
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I know this will start a different thread of responses so my bad but I'm drunk. I just want to know, why do you support Trump? Not talking shit to you just a legit question, fee free to pm your answer if you want I'm just generally curious. Everyone I ask between family, friends, and co-workers say they don't really support him but are Republican so they vote R. Drunk rambling butba legit question by me.

5 am Drunk? Respeck.

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So it begins

EJA4KnbWsAA3tm1?format=jpg&name=large

Also, saying Bernie or Warren is unelectable is just as dumb as saying Biden is unelectable.

They’re all very electable and within the margin of error of each other.

It’s very unlikely that trump will win the national vote so practically any Dem will win a national poll.  When they run these polls, don’t they normally ask what is the level of support for a no-name Dem against trump?  I believe trump always loses. But I don’t think that trump really would lose to any Dem put in front of him.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

The billionaires want Trump to win.

It’s not so much that they want Trump to win, it’s that they don’t want to care if he doesn’t. 

Most billionaires do not care about improving society.  They view the world as theirs to exploit how they see fit and they hold in contempt anyone that stands in the way of them doing it.  This is the underlying ethos of the tea party and trumpism. 

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s not so much that they want Trump to win, it’s that they don’t want to care if he doesn’t. 

Most billionaires do not care about improving society.  They view the world as theirs to exploit how they see fit and they hold in contempt anyone that stands in the way of them doing it.  This is the underlying ethos of the tea party and trumpism. 

There’s way more like Gates than you’re crediting.  Some are like you’re describing.  Maybe even the majority...but it’s not 80/90%.    

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s way more like Gates than you’re crediting.  Some are like you’re describing.  Maybe even the majority...but it’s not 80/90%.    

I agree, that’s why I quantified my statement by saying most.  Not all billionaires are evil but most have massive egos and a sense of entitlement to inequitable influence on society because of their wealth. Some choose to use their influence better than others but the majority use it to stockpile and horde more wealth at the expense of society. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

If supposed billionaire good boy hero Bill Gates is going to support Trump over Sanders or Warren, who else are you guys holding out hope for?

It's not their votes we care about (there are like 600 billionaires total in the US), but where their money is going to go. None of them, not even Steyer, will spend a penny to get Bernie or Liz elected. 0% of billionaires will donate to Bernie.

A much, much, MUCH higher percentage will give money to Trump.

They're scum.

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If supposed billionaire good boy hero Bill Gates is going to support Trump over Sanders or Warren, who else are you guys holding out hope for?

It's not their votes we care about (there are like 600 billionaires total in the US), but where their money is going to go. None of them, not even Steyer, will spend a penny to get Bernie or Liz elected. 0% of billionaires will donate to Bernie.

A much, much, MUCH higher percentage will give money to Trump.

They're scum.

Nah.  Many have signed the giving pledge.  Meaning they’re donating it all at death.  Or over 95% of it.  They think they can do more good giving their money away then to the govt.  What a truly fucked up concept.  Lol

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Nah.  Many have signed the giving pledge.  Meaning they’re donating it all at death.  Or over 95% of it.

Donating it all to... what?

(Foundations that will continue to guarantee wealth and privilege and the power of those billions to their progeny for oligarchical generation after oligarchical generation.)

The Giving Pledge is a PR stunt, nothing more. And it's working a treat.

------------------------

Will the Giving Pledge grant money to organizations?

Not directly. Each person who pledges makes an individual decision about which particular causes or organizations they wish to support.

Once someone pledges, how will you make sure they follow through?

The pledge is a moral commitment to give, not a legal contract.

-----------------------

They think they can do more good giving their money away then to the govt.  What a truly fucked up concept.

Unironically, yes. It is a profoundly fucked up concept on basically any level you want to approach it.

- These are not ubermensch whose understanding of the world is better than ours as a collective
- Their philanthropic efforts often cause far more harm than good (see: The Gates Foundation's war on public education)
- The hoarding of wealth this level of philanthropy requires causes far more harm than any PR stunts could ever hope to alleviate
- The benefits of that money flowing freely through local and global economies in the hands of smaller people does far more good for those people than being locked up in vaults for ego trips

There's a lot more, but your attempt at sarcasm is actually genuinely true.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Why isn’t Bloomberg running as an Indy?  Would crush Trump’s hopes.  Makes no sense.  

I would think that would help trump. I see Bloomberg stealing votes from Dems if he ran as an Indy not from trump.  Bloomberg might have been a republican for a short while in NYC but that doesn’t fly in other parts of the country.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, bad_teammate said:

No one wants him to run, but he's going to anyway and get millions and millions of dollars in free publicity because he's a billionaire who is a major owner/player in the media world that will be covering him..

Why is it any worse than getting free publicity by coming up with stupid plans by promising free shit with someone else's money? And I want him to run....and win the Dem ticket. Better than the other shitty alternatives.

That, alone, is enough to immediately discount him and hate him.

Hate? Wow.

He was a Republican until 2018.

So?

He made billions as Generic Wall Street Guy, doing nothing good, necessary, or important.

LOL, you think Wall Street is unnecessary? 

Again, he's a fucking billionaire that no one likes or wants to run. It's a vanity project, and you should automatically hate vanity projects.

I like him. I like him way more than free shit Warren, he must run and win the Dem ticket. Hopefully money whip Warren, Sanders etc. on his way while flipping the progressives on his way to the Presidency.

Edited by hornhorn

8 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Why is it any worse than getting free publicity by coming up with stupid plans by promising free shit with someone else's money?

How is it "someone else's money" when everyone is getting it? Doesn't make any sense, bud.

Hate? Wow.

Yes, whoa.

So?

He's an opportunist with bad politics, that's why.

LOL, you think Wall Street is unnecessary? 

That's not what I said, but yes, obviously Wall Street is unnecessary.

I like him.

I'm sure you do. You seem like you suck.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

How is it "someone else's money" when everyone is getting it? Doesn't make any sense, bud.

Because nearly half the country pays nothing and a small minority pays close to 1/4th of it. 

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

He's an opportunist with bad politics, that's why.

You mean just like every other politician? But hey at least his politics is better than Warren/Sanders which isn't based upon taking someone else's hard earned wealth

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You don't know how capital markets work. Do you also think super markets are unnecessary? How about car dealerships? 

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm sure you do. You seem like you suck.

You seem like a begging freeloader who is again going to whine like you have since 2016. Hope you enjoy your misery because that is your life. 

On 11/10/2019 at 12:46 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Nah.  Many have signed the giving pledge.  Meaning they’re donating it all at death.  Or over 95% of it.  They think they can do more good giving their money away then to the govt.  What a truly fucked up concept.  Lol

Ah, the giving pledge. The instrument by which billionaire assholes try to assuage their guilty deathbed consciences by donating the billions of dollars they hoarded for absolutely no reason. The billions of dollars that sat in their bank accounts and investment vehicles doing absolutely nothing for the billionaire except for providing them power and ego, while multiple generations of people who could have used that money lived and died in squalor and poverty.

What a noble gesture.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Ah, the giving pledge. The instrument by which billionaire assholes try to assuage their guilty deathbed consciences by donating the billions of dollars they hoarded for absolutely no reason. The billions of dollars that sat in their bank accounts and investment vehicles doing absolutely nothing for the billionaire except for providing them power and ego, while multiple generations of people who could have used that money lived and died in squalor and poverty.

What a noble gesture.

LOL, Americans aren't dying in squalor and poverty. If you want to talk about poverty let's talk about people in Africa and India compared to whom you are a billionaire. Average salary in India is $295/year which is less than what poorest of Americans spend on discretionary items like alcohol and cigarettes.

Tell me how much of your wealth will you be donating to them today? Just like you want the billionaires to donate theirs to you while you still continue to berate them. 

Just now, BradInATX said:

Uh, yeah, they are. 

You didn't answer the rest of the post. So I take it that you're going to save YOUR wealth for you and yours and not change someone's life in India/Africa by giving away all your money. All of that while you berate someone else for doing the same?