Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

hornhorn

2 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Yup. Angry about a racist, billionaire Republican with 60+ sexual harassment/assault lawsuits trying to buy the nomination.

I feel like I have to preface every comment I make about Bloomberg with "he's nowhere near my choice among the Democratic candidates BUT . . . "

Can you please provide any evidence he has ever been accused of sexual assault?  This keeps coming up, and to the best of my ability, I can find no credible accusations.

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The Bernie Bros sure are an angry little bunch.

I want him to win the general only because the Van Buren Boys are taking over our neighborhood and we need somebody to stop them and the Bernie Boys could get it done.  I guess the hand signal would just be 🖐🤚🏻 ‘46’ as expressed by ten digits. 
Which works out well since Bernie is constantly throwing both hands in disgust with fingers slightly apart.  

Edited by Lobo

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I feel like I have to preface every comment I make about Bloomberg with "he's nowhere near my choice among the Democratic candidates BUT . . . "

Can you please provide any evidence he has ever been accused of sexual assault?  This keeps coming up, and to the best of my ability, I can find no credible accusations.

My mistake – I was misremembering the latest revelations about oral sex as a wedding present. Hard to keep it all straight at this point. 

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Death panels basically already exist to some extent. And we should be more upfront with dying patients that while treatment might be able to keep their body alive, they need to question the quality of life.

But the Bloomberg version is one thought away from The Purge.

This is the "vetting" that the centrists have been foretelling for years. This is what they have.
Decorum and aesthetics. They don't care about poor people, vulnerable people, they care about their Thanksgiving dinners being nicer.

This is such horseshit.

Progressives don’t care about poor people or vulnerable people either if they don’t get their feel good purity checklist.

You sling all these barbs at anyone who isn’t Bernie and at everyone who isn’t 100% in his camp.

Bloomberg is an absolute shitweasel but he is one million times better than Donald Trump.

Until you can say - like I have and many other posters here have - that you’ll vote for Bernie or Bloomberg or Pete or Amy or a warmed up diarrhea burrito over Trump any garbage you sling at the rest of us is total crap.
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Bloomberg is an absolute shitweasel but he is one million times better than Donald Trump.

I'm sorry but have you literally listened to any black people on this subject? You posted a tweet from Ben Dixon in the other thread mocking that DSA Twitter guy for getting Elijah Cummings and John Lewis confused, take a look at his twitter timeline.

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

I'm sorry but have you literally listened to any black people on this subject? You posted a tweet from Ben Dixon in the other thread mocking that DSA Twitter guy for getting Elijah Cummings and John Lewis confused, take a look at his twitter timeline.

Don't discount the black lawmakers who have endorsed him. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

I know. But those endorsements matter, especially the ones from members of the CBC and mayors.

I'm not saying they don't, but there is a huge group of black people who have very publicly come out and said that they will not vote for Bloomberg under any circumstance. This isn't some Bernie or Bust adjacent thing, these are real people who think every candidate besides Bloomberg would improve their lives vs Trump.

I'll vote for Bloomberg over Trump obviously, but I fucking hate that the dude floods the airwaves, gets some national poll bumps, and all of a sudden everyone's like "get on board with Bloomberg, people!". FUCK THAT. 

Mike is a complete piece of shit. Let's get him on the debate stage before we start telling people to fall in line. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Until you can say - like I have and many other posters here have - that you’ll vote for Bernie or Bloomberg or Pete or Amy or a warmed up diarrhea burrito over Trump any garbage you sling at the rest of us is total crap.

warmed up diarrhea burrito seems like more of a vp pick at this point in its political career, but that's a lot of heat at the bottom of the ticket.

bunch of 70 year-olds and bad burritos...

party brooklyn GIF

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

warmed up diarrhea burrito seems like more of a vp pick at this point in its political career, but that's a lot of heat at the bottom of the ticket.

bunch of 70 year-olds and bad burritos...

party brooklyn GIF

Shart thread 2020

15 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I don’t neg on CR because it’s a bitchass thing to do. You had me close though. You know it’s not the same thing.

I disagreed with Yang on the majority of his positions, but I respect the hell out of him because I believe his intentions were as pure as they could be for a presidential candidate. It’s part of why he ultimately never had a chance. 

The difference, as others pointed out, was Yang was actually promising money to literally everyone (someone pointed out it was a straight bribe) where as Bloomberg is giving money to influences in return for support.  One was buying votes while the other is buying influence.  And yes, Yang was as pure as you can be in running for President plus I think he happens to be right and I was supportive.  But the arguments you made after that are part of the reason I like Bloomberg.  He wouldn't owe anything to anyone and he's not 'buying' the nomination.  

F250 was right about Yang's data tax.  'twas a good idea

50 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

In what ways is Bloomberg a million times better than Trump? 

IMO, everything is a pendulum.  Part of my reasoning for supporting Bloomberg is to limit the swing in the opposite direction post Trump.  If he has 4 more years I'm concerned of someone Bernie-like but younger and more appealing that could be effective.  I also believe the nomination is going to come down to Bloomberg vs. Bernie.    

Sensible gun reform

Women's rights

Supreme Court picks 

Tax policy

General US Standing across the globe

Decisions based on data vs. using nothing

No more Stephen Miller

No twitter rants

Unnecessary to profit further by position

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I didn't realize the reservoir of crazy shit Bloomberg had said over the years.  Billionaire types generally have people fawning over them 24/7 so he was prolly able to do that with nothing but nodding approval.

yeah, some of the shit that has come out of his mouth on these videos is crazy.  

2 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

yeah, some of the shit that has come out of his mouth on these videos is crazy.  

I think it it were just stop and frisk or just one or two comments, he could fight through it.  Now it seems to be a volume issue.  He's greased the liberal groups over the years so he'll get the endorsements but I don't know if the voters will go along.

I'm surprised as well.  Not really giving a shit about him until now, I really didn't know much about him.  Though the number of subtle and overtly racist things he has said on camera is kind of insane.  Not to mention that not all of it is from like the 60's or 70's.  Some of it is after 2010 when he is an old fuck.  If he was going to learn his lesson, it seems like he would have learned way before now.

• Like 1

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

I think it it were just stop and frisk or just one or two comments, he could fight through it.  Now it seems to be a volume issue.  He's greased the liberal groups over the years so he'll get the endorsements but I don't know if the voters will go along.

It is pretty incredible. He manages to disparage average voters of every race. His strategy is pretty simple. Buy off as many media members, influencers, and community leaders as possible and see if it will overcome it. 

Waiting for the video to come out where he says HBCUs should be shut down because the education is inadequate or something similar. 

50 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

where as Bloomberg is giving money to influences in return for support.  One was buying votes while the other is buying influence.  And yes, Yang was as pure as you can be in running for President plus I think he happens to be right and I was supportive.  But the arguments you made after that are part of the reason I like Bloomberg.  He wouldn't owe anything to anyone and he's not 'buying' the nomination.  

Must confess I'm having mixed feelings about Bloomberg's new "Fuck you, I'm rich!"  campaign slogan. 

1 hour ago, GSU&UT said:

I'm not saying they don't, but there is a huge group of black people who have very publicly come out and said that they will not vote for Bloomberg under any circumstance. This isn't some Bernie or Bust adjacent thing, these are real people who think every candidate besides Bloomberg would improve their lives vs Trump.

It's starting to feel like no matter who the Democrats nominate, turnout for the nominee is going to be a problem. 

If the supporters of the losing side do not vote for the eventual nominee, Donald Trump is probably going to win.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It's starting to feel like no matter who the Democrats nominate, turnout for the nominee is going to be a problem. 

If the supporters of the losing side do not vote for the eventual nominee, Donald Trump is probably going to win.

Eh, just don't nominate Bloomberg and most people will vote for the nominee in the general.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This has been assumed by many for a while now.

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

Eh, just don't nominate Bloomberg and most people will vote for the nominee in the general.

Ding ding, my Bernie Bro ass would be enthusiastic to vote for anyone who isn't Bloomberg, he really makes the others look good by comparison.

The pendulum metaphor makes no sense because we have been moving further right with no left-swing equivalent since FDR.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Progressives don’t care about poor people or vulnerable people either if they don’t get their feel good purity checklist.

And the items on their "feel good purity checklist"? All stuff about helping the poor.

The progressive base IS the poor. Look at any poll or exit result broken down by income. Bernie dominates the <$50k/year and it's never even close.

No, he's not. That's absurd.

Be serious and objective about what you're looking at, which is a racist, sexually harassing/discriminating, oligarchical, power-seeking freakshow Republican billionaire who literally decided to become a Democrat in late 2018 when it was obvious that people like Sanders and Warren were going to be the vanguard of the Democratic Party.

Bloomberg is only marginally better than Trump at best, and his far superior managerial efficacy actually makes him more dangerous than Donald. Couple that with a potential capture of the Democratic Party and he will be someone who is effectively unifying the entire corporate and political power structure under one banner which could more easily crush all popular resistance.

He literally had a local government he paid off change the rules so he could be the NYC mayor for longer than the law said. Very recent history is screaming at you in the face.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

He literally had a local government he paid off change the rules so he could be the NYC mayor for longer than the law said. Very recent history is screaming at you in the face.

Why do you keep saying this?  What were the terms of these "payments"?

(Again, for the record:  not a Bloomberg fan)

(Ad nauseum)

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Why do you keep saying this?  What were the terms of these "payments"?

(Again, for the record:  not a Bloomberg fan)

(Ad nauseum)

Bloomberg's Billions: How the Candidate Built an Empire of Influence

Need an arts building funded in your burrough? Oh here's a $100k check from Bloomberg Philanthropies.

Need some potholes fixed? Oh here's a $20k check from Bloomberg Philanthropies.

Wants some "training" on how to be a good mayor? Here's a flight to NYC, some fancy hotels, some nice dinners, and opportunities to meet with movers and shakers in Democratic politics. Oh and some checks for projects in your city from Bloomberg Philanthropies.

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bloomberg's Billions: How the Candidate Built an Empire of Influence

Need an arts building funded in your burrough? Oh here's a $100k check from Bloomberg Philanthropies.

Need some potholes fixed? Oh here's a $20k check from Bloomberg Philanthropies.

Wants some "training" on how to be a good mayor? Here's a flight to NYC, some fancy hotels, some nice dinners, and opportunities to meet with movers and shakers in Democratic politics. Oh and some checks for projects in your city from Bloomberg Philanthropies.

LMAO.  OK, so the evidence for his Republican leanings is the massive amount of money he has donated to Democrats.

I get it, these things are strategic at heart and the long game matters, but where is the part about where he paid off local government employees?  Did I miss it?  I only skimmed the article, so mea culpa if I missed something.

Bloomberg has no redeeming qualities to speak of. He's a piece of shit. He's less better than Trump than any of the other candidates with the possible exception of Tulsi Gabbard. If he wins, he'll do nothing to address any of the underlying conditions that led to Trump (well, he might exacerbate them further). He will appoint centrist judges at best, he won't actually do anything serious to address global warming, he won't even fight for a public option, etc.

His presidency would cement the US as an oligarchy run by and for the insanely wealthy and from then on our best hope would be to maintain a pseudo-fascist oligarchy that isn't committed to racial genocide to avoid having a fully fascist oligarchy that is.  I truly hope a black hole swallows him tomorrow and removes him from this conversation because there's a part of me that feels like if that's where we're headed we might as well get to the inflection point sooner rather than later. But if this truly is hell and he's the nominee I'm still voting for him, because even if America is fucked even marginal policy improvements during the next 4 years would be substantially better for the rest of the world. Hell, even 4 years of absolutely no improvement on climate would be hugely preferable to another 4 years of further GOP destruction and would absolutely save lives over the long term. The GOP is an actual death cult that wants to bring about the end times. Bloomberg is a ton of awful shit, but he's not Jim Jones.

But all that's a conversation for later and one that we shouldn't have to have. Instead of normalizing the idea of Bloomberg as a nominee now, we should be telling everyone we know why he's fucking terrible and why he's not nearly the sure thing to beat Trump that so many people want to think he is. He very clearly hates everyone who isn't a multimillionaire and he's got a long history of very publicly shitting on nearly every person in this country.  Those clips will continue to be dug up and they'll be aired non-stop in every swing state. Running Donald Trump but without the racism won't appeal to anybody, meaning his only enthusiastic voters will be voters enthusiastic to vote against Trump, who would support any other nominee

• Like 6

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO.  OK, so the evidence for his Republican leanings is the massive amount of money he has donated to Democrats.

The evidence for his "Republican leanings" is that he was a Republican his whole life and "changed parties" (whatever that actually means) in late 2018.

Is this a joke?

I get it, these things are strategic at heart and the long game matters, but where is the part about where he paid off local government employees?  Did I miss it?  I only skimmed the article, so mea culpa if I missed something.

Did you notice the GIANT fucking circle directly over NYC? I explained it in the post. He funded projects for local officials via his charity and bought their allegiance doing so.