Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

hornhorn

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I’m more team Warren than team Bernie, but the idea that a President Bloomberg would get us “back on a normal path” is absurd. Literally nobody is less likely to do that than him.

Well, no, that's not true.  Trump is less likely.

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I’m more team Warren than team Bernie, but the idea that a President Bloomberg would get us “back on a normal path” is absurd. Literally nobody is less likely to do that than him.

It would open the door for any billionaire to replicate the process, someone like Zuckerberg who has just as much money would be 47. That seems like a dystopian path.

I've read many times how Trumpism survives with the thought of "imagine if the GOP ran someone post-Trump with his basic values that was more intelligent, more presentable, more respected, etc . That would be real trouble for Democrats and the country."

That person is basically Mike Bloomberg. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

It would open the door for any billionaire to replicate the process, someone like Zuckerberg who has just as much money would be 47. That seems like a dystopian path.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've read many times how Trumpism survives with the thought of "imagine if the GOP ran someone post-Trump with his basic values that was more intelligent, more presentable, more respected, etc . That would be real trouble for Democrats."

That person is basically Mike Bloomberg. 

And this is why I think we are fucked.  LEDGE.

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

A President Bloomberg would establish a new baseline of the "left" which would make the political spectrum a range between Dubya neoconservativism and Trumpian Nationalism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

What does this even mean?

As for not hurting downballot candidates, he is already doing that.

I think center/center-right people need to just lean into the fact that they like Bloomberg because he's a center-right Republican who will hurt the progressive movement longterm. There's a lot of self-delusion and pretending going around.

No one who wants to limit the size of the soda you can drink is a center right anything.  He is just as much of a control freak as anyone else in the Democrat party.  He just likes capitalism more than they do.

• Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think there is a lot of truth to this.  People are fucking horrified with what is happening and just want it to end.  For some reason, and I guess maybe it's the multitude of ads, they think Bloomberg can do it.  They don't give a fuck about platforms.  They just want the dotard gone.  I think this is what Bernie Bros need to understand.  Their issues are important, but maybe not the most important thing THIS election.  This election is about saving our republic.  We can revisit the lofty ideals once we get back on a normal path.

I would love to kill two birds with one stone, but I'm worried it's not possible.

This.

Ask a man that’s getting raped In the pooper if they’d trade being punched in the face multiple times or just continue with the raping.

I'm pretty sure he’d pick the punches. Even if an extra # of punches get thrown in, he’s likely to take it and be happy the raping had stopped.

I’m in this camp and do not need my ideal candidate this election. Just someone to stop the Scene from Deliverance That’s going down on our democracy.

8 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

No one who wants to limit the size of the soda you can drink is a center right anything.  He is just as much of a control freak as anyone else in the Democrat party.  He just likes capitalism more than they do.

Not really a politics take, but I used to think that idea was really dumb.  But after becoming educated on the impact of shit nutrition on society at large (diabetes among other things), I would absolutely be on board with taxing the hell out of highly processed products with exorbitant amounts of added sugar to subsidize healthcare

12 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

This.

Ask a man that’s getting raped In the pooper if they’d trade being punched in the face multiple times or just continue with the raping.

I'm pretty sure he’d pick the punches. Even if an extra # of punches get thrown in, he’s likely to take it and be happy the raping had stopped.

I’m in this camp and do not need my ideal candidate this election. Just someone to stop the Scene from Deliverance That’s going down on our democracy.

Or maybe just refuse butt sex and punch someone else in the face.

17 minutes ago, F250 said:

Or maybe just refuse butt sex and punch someone else in the face.

Uhhh You’re getting ass blasted right now my friend.

It seems our friends in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan wanted to try it out and we’re getting the whole toadstool.

43 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Ooh, if we're picking single policy issues to define a candidate's political compass, lets do Trump next.

• Like 1

I think it drives Trump crazy that "Mini Mike" was infinitely more successful, and more respected, in the business community than Trump. I think Bloomberg is actually the only one that can really get under Trump's skin.  Because at least in the business world, he actually is what Trump pretends to be. 

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think it drives Trump crazy that "Mini Mike" was infinitely more successful, and more respected, in the business community than Trump. I think Bloomberg is actually the only one that can really get under Trump's skin.  Because at least in the business world, he actually is what Trump pretends to be. 

Literally everyone that doesn't kiss his ass gets under Trump's skin. 

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Sure... I'm not sure what this means, though. What is Bloomberg going to do or say that will matter?

He's going to say, "Oh, wow, I'm actually a real mega-billionaire and all of our shared socialite friends in Manhattan like me more than they like you"... then... what? Do working class people in Wisconsin care about this? Do black voters in North Carolina care about this?

What kind of voter actually cares about which of these guys is more popular in a set of Epstein flight log pedophiles?

Is Trump going to cry and say, "Oh you're right I'm a fraud I quit"?

No, he's going to eat Little Mike alive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Funny how the Bernie Bros adopt Trump’s insults so easily. Same pathos.

Nah, we don't say Pocahontas or Alfred E. Neuman or even Sleepy Joe. "Little Mike" is wonderful, though, because all billionaires deserve demeaning nicknames and constant ridicule.

I hope Trump gives me more ways to bully Little Mike. I hope Little Mike is bullied and ridiculed the rest of his life.

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Nah, we don't say Pocahontas or Alfred E. Neuman or even Sleepy Joe. "Little Mike" is wonderful, though, because all billionaires deserve demeaning nicknames and constant ridicule.

Do Millionaires deserve the same?  $10MM Net Worth?  $100MM?  Just want to make sure I know where the cutoff is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sure... I'm not sure what this means, though. What is Bloomberg going to do or say that will matter?

He's going to say, "Oh, wow, I'm actually a real mega-billionaire and all of our shared socialite friends in Manhattan like me more than they like you"... then... what? Do working class people in Wisconsin care about this? Do black voters in North Carolina care about this?

What kind of voter actually cares about which of these guys is more popular in a set of Epstein flight log pedophiles?

Is Trump going to cry and say, "Oh you're right I'm a fraud I quit"?

No, he's going to eat Little Mike alive.

Well, there's a lot of bullshit in that take.  Let's start with the "successful businessman" angle that resonated with Trumpkins far and wide.  It wouldn't take much for Bloomberg to crush Trump on numbers alone, even if we DON'T get any net worth info out of DB, etc.

Now, getting anyone to actually pay attention to the numbers is another thing, but let's not fool ourselves:  Bloomberg will kill Trump on the "businessman" argument.

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Agree with your logic. I think the open question is whether that argument still carries much weight after Trump proved its unreliability. I don't know the answer to that question. 

Oh, I'm with you there.  At this point I can't trust any truth to resonate.

Basically Trump's essential argument has always been - "If I am so horrible, why don't you call my opponents horrible when they did the same things?" 

We may dismiss whataboutism as logical fallacy (which it is), but it has been Trump's most effective argument against his opponents. Trump effectively evades responsibility with this line of attack for a wide range of voters who see a dysfunctional representative democracy in the United States.  

I am not sure it is wise to continue giving Donald Trump fresh ammunition given its effectiveness with his supporters and his ability to control the narrative in our concentrated media today. 

Edited by washparkhorn

Criminy.
My wife's co-worker (doctor) just told her that he's voting for Bloomberg "because he is the only one that can beat trump and he is a REAL successful business man, unlike trump"
This man went to Brown and Stanford.

Is that wrong?

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Yeah that’s it.  Control freaks about reproductive rights, what bills will be voted on in the senate, who is allowed to vote, who can legally enter the country, who can say negative things about the president, who can testify in impeachment trials...wait who were we talking about again?

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Any thoughts on who will help down-ballot dems most? Might be Biden/Bloomie types who are afraid to give Bernie a blank check (both houses).

Things that help smaller candidates...

- Turnout
- Money
- Staff
- Volunteers

I don't think Biden or Bloomberg help with turnout. They're going to be coasting on whatever turnout anti-Trump vibes bring. They also don't inspire local activists to donate, work for, or volunteer for locals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Yeah that’s it.  Control freaks about reproductive rights, what bills will be voted on in the senate, who is allowed to vote, who can legally enter the country, who can say negative things about the president, who can testify in impeachment trials...wait who were we talking about again?

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

So while this Coronavirus outbreak is going on you don't want any rules about who can enter the country legally?    And if there was anyone controlling who can say negative things about the president this site would be as dead as the last one is.  If you want control freaks, take a look at Bernie Sanders platform, take a look at the Green New Deal.  Watch how Democrats are told when to stand, when to sit, when to clap, and every other reaction during a SOTU address.  Trump is one man.  Today's conformist, authoritarian, oppressive, Democrat Party is legion and is a thousand times more of a threat to individual liberty and personal freedom than Trump will ever be.  Your party should change it's name to the Politburo.  It would be more accurate.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Okay let's add Bloomberg's views on guns.  I'm sure there are thousands of conservatives in Virginia who can't wait to vote for him.

And you would think a president blowing the debt into the stratosphere and unilaterally engaging in trade wars born by taxpayers would be anathema to conservatives, and yet here we are.

A record contrary to decades of established GOP positions hasn't turned off "conservatives" in the slightest. 

Maybe you're just trying to say that Dem voters are more principled? I would agree with you there.