Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

hornhorn

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is incredible.

Black blue check marks on twitter turned a blind eye towards Kamala and Booker for Warren, then now have to watch her fizzle out while "stop and frisk" Bloomberg, who basically says every black man is the picture of a criminal, gets black endorsements.

Literally you could not write this primary any stupider. 

Lotta building funds need funded.  Lotta churches gonna have a Michael R Bloomberg rec center after this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is incredible.

Black blue check marks on twitter turned a blind eye towards Kamala and Booker for Warren, then now have to watch her fizzle out while "stop and frisk" Bloomberg, who basically says every black man is the picture of a criminal, gets black endorsements.

Literally you could not write this primary any stupider. 

I'd vote for Kamala in a heartbeat over Bloomberg, I'd fucking be enthusiastic if that was my choice. I will enthusiastically support any Democratic candidate that wins the nomination if it isn't Bloomberg at this point. He is the personification of inequality in the US.

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

I'd vote for Kamala in a heartbeat over Bloomberg, I'd fucking be enthusiastic if that was my choice. I will enthusiastically support any Democratic candidate that wins the nomination if it isn't Bloomberg at this point. He is the personification of inequality in the US.

So you won't vote for Bloomberg if he's the nominee?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I just saw his take on red lining.

That's really bad.

The man has no business being the nominee of the Democratic Party. 

He's an unabashed racist as much as Trump is, just more articulate and a hell of a lot more wealthy. He may remove concentration camps at the border, but he's probably going to follow up that by drug testing any single person who receives a single dollar in federal aid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

“Marginally better than Trump”? Am I taking crazy pills?

He expanded stop & frisk sevenfold, a policy where the NYPD straight up grabbed men of color and threw them against the wall, searching them for weapons. 99.8% of stops found no weapons.  

Bloomberg has since stated that the problem with stop & frisk was that they stopped too many white people. (White people made up approximately 10% of stops.) His apology and claim that he "inherited" stop & frisk was a fucking lie; under Bloomberg stop & frisk ballooned.

Also a lie: his claim that he voluntarily shut down the program, which was actually struck down in federal court. To suggest otherwise is a goddamn lie that does a disservice to the civil liberties advocates who worked their ass off to stop this racist policy. Crime in NYC has dropped since the policy was stopped.

Then there's his comments on redlining, a practice made illegal in 19fucking68. Bloomberg said that the elimination of that racist policy was responsible for the financial crisis of 2008.  

We haven't even scratched the surface of the sexual harassment stuff, which could be an entirely new can of worms.

I realize how wild it sounds to suggest that Bloomberg isn't much different than the piece of shit in the White House, but he's not. He's simply a more polished, more successful, more competent piece of shit. To my mind, that makes him a lot scarier.

Edited by 406W30th
  • Like 5

Plus, he banned Big Gulps.

I can't seriously imagine Bloomberg winning the general election though.  I'm still skeptical that he can actually get people to turn out and vote through the very soft support he has been able to build by irradiating the country with ads.  It's one thing for someone answering a phone call to say "Bloomberg" when that person has seen 50 Bloomberg ads over the past week and quite another to get that person to take the time to go out and vote for him.  However, for Bloomberg himself, winning the general is probably secondary to blocking Sanders.  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 1

Bloomberg will have to continue to answer for things in the past and how he handles it matters.  Actually apologizing with an explanation of how he was wrong - which he's doing - is a good start.  For Trump, understanding and apologizing for anything is an entirely alien concept.  Re redlining, I seriously doubt Trump can even offer an intelligible explanation of what it is, let alone show any awareness of associated racial/socioeconomic biases.  For Bloomberg, it's a bad look historically but it's also an opportunity to demonstrate he's capable of understanding and demonstrate the capacity for change like a normal human.  Trump has zero capacity for this.

Regarding sexual assault/harrassment?  Nothing remotely approaching sexual assault is out there that I can see, but I guess we'll wait and watch the woodwork.  Meanwhile today, E. Jean Carroll is requesting a DNA sample from Trump after allegedly raping her in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room in the 90's, to go along with a boatload of other sexual assault accusations including one by a woman who was forced to service Trump wearing a latex glove at Epstein's NYC pad as a minor.  

Bloomberg is near the bottom of my preferred list candidates, but infinitely better than Trump as a functional leader and decent human being. 

Edited by triplehorn

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

At some point, is he going to be on a debate stage with the other Democratic candidates or does he just get to waltz into the convention without ever being challenged on his positions?

I think he's qualified for the next debate, whenever that is.

Nobody should take any apology about anything from Bloomberg seriously.

I'm willing to give people room to grow and I wouldn't punish someone for evolving. Hell, Warren was a Republican until the 90s. But she's been fighting for the right  causes for decades now. Bloomberg has never fought for anything but gaining more power for himself. He was still defending stop and frisk in 2015. He was fuckin 73 years old in 2015.

And to have EVER thought the great recession was attributable to the prohibition against redlining reveals both a racism and a stupidity nearly as deep as Trump. To give him a tiny amount of credit, possibly more than he deserves, I don't think he really believed that. I think it's a common excuse on the right to redirect blame for the recession from whom it should have been aimed, people like him, to minorities, so he peddled the bullshit to protect his power and his money.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I seriously think he may not appear on stage given how many attacks will be lobbed his way. He's also a hell of a lot shorter than I realized, he's about as short as me and I know my short-ass would have a hard time gaining support on just a purely superficial physical appearance level.

22 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Bloomberg will have to continue to answer for things in the past and how he handles it matters.  Actually apologizing with an explanation of how he was wrong - which he's doing - is a good start.  For Trump, understanding and apologizing for anything is an entirely alien concept. 

His apologies are complete horseshit though. He took credit for shutting down stop & frisk, when it took a federal judge to strike it down as unconstitutional. He's demonstrated exactly zero understanding of why it was wrong, has not explained why he was wrong to do it, and fucking lied in the process.  

"I don't think those words reflect how I led the most diverse city in the nation." WTF is that?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I seriously think he may not appear on stage given how many attacks will be lobbed his way. He's also a hell of a lot shorter than I realized, he's about as short as me and I know my short-ass would have a hard time gaining support on just a purely superficial physical appearance level.

If he skips a debate, it is incumbent on everyone to go nuclear on every social media arm of his campaign.

The squishes are going to decorum and polite us into fascist hell.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Feb 19th, right before Nevada caucus.  Dipshit former aide thinks he shouldn't debate.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/opinions/michael-bloomberg-2020-avoid-debates-wierson/index.html

Although I think he is the ideal standard bearer for the party in 2020, representing Democrats' best chance for taking back the White House from Trump, I think he would be better off staying of the national stage, letting his ads do the talking for now -- at least until after Super Tuesday.

• Like 2

Just now, bad_teammate said:

If he skips a debate, it is incumbent on everyone to go nuclear on every social media arm of his campaign.

The squishes are going to decorum and polite us into fascist hell.

Yeah that's a good point, makes it easy to call him a coward.

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

Yeah that's a good point, makes it easy to call him a coward.

"If you can't debate Grandpa, Senile Joe, a rat, the class nerd, Wine Drunk Dancing Mom and whatever other idiots are still in this race, how will you stand up there on your box to face Trump eye-to-eye?" 

• Like 3

He is not a smooth talker and he's terrible under pressure from the left because (A) his internal beliefs haven't changed at all and (B) he has paid an army of sycophants who will give him no real pushback or advice that would force him to deal with his obvious problems.

He won't collapse and cry and quit on stage, but he will stammer and stumble and the illusion of TOUGH GUY MIKE dominating Trump on the debate stage will shatter for hundreds of thousands of people. If you go back earlier in the thread there are people here seriously and sincerely talking about Mike Bloomberg as if he's going to swagger out to a podium with Trump and dismantle Donald. It's a joke.

He does not project power and confidence.

https://twitter.com/ProgressiveArmy/status/1228087396379615233

He's weak, and we can crush him.

40 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

a)He is not a smooth talker

b)He's weak, and we can crush him.

a) He is if the questions directed to him are lobbed softly. I guess I have less faith in MSNBC and who pays the bills.

b) In a true debate, yes, that was the point of my post. I don't think he can easily blow off or explain away direct hard hitting assessment and Q&A by solid moderators and the other candidates. The Bloomberg of the campaign ads =/ the Bloomberg in a forum with others vying for the position.

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'll say it. FUCK NO. The answer to shit isn't more shit. I'd rather have 4 more years of Trump and let him burn that "wing" of the Republican party to the ground forever. 

Image result for no gif

He'd also burn the fucking country to the ground with 4 more years of conservative judges who've never practiced law and probably can't read and another SCOTUS pick.

So....no. 

Just now, Js1 said:

He'd also burn the fucking country to the ground with 4 more years of conservative judges who've never practiced law and probably can't read and another SCOTUS pick.

So....no. 

I don't trust the long term damage a guy like Bloomberg would do to the Dem party. Sorry man.

FWIW, my vote doesn't count anyway. 

I don't trust the long term damage a guy like Bloomberg would do to the Dem party. Sorry man.
FWIW, my vote doesn't count anyway. 

It’s not about the Dem Party, it’s about the country.

And EVERYONE’S vote counts.

This is where you well off white guys got to listen to your sisters and brown brothers - four years of Bloomberg would suck; four more years of Trump will be DEADLY for some of us.

Suck up your righteousness and help those don’t have the privilege to survive another four years of Trump.

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Bloomberg will do nothing to regulate Wall Street, which is going to lead us to our next 2008-style financial crash.

Bloomberg will nominate conservative justices who will protect all corporate interests. (And, incidentally, will further cement social conservatism in the courts.)

Bloomberg will do nothing to expand union power. In fact, he will continue the assault on worker organization.

Bloomberg will do nothing to guarantee universal healthcare.

For every progressive policy he claims, he will not fight for any of them.

Just now, Js1 said:

I think he would nominate who Schumer tells him to.  

Can you explain why you believe this?

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Suck up your righteousness and help those don’t have the privilege to survive another four years of Trump.

Sorry, I just don't see it that way. I don't see one indication that Bloomberg is any different than Trump. He's a wolf in wolf's clothing and I hope like hell I don't have to make that choice.

I'd probably write in someone or vote Green party.

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Sorry, I just don't see it that way. I don't see one indication that Bloomberg is any different than Trump. He's a wolf in wolf's clothing and I hope like hell I don't have to make that choice.

I'd probably write in someone or vote Green party.

That's a vote for Donald Trump.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't see one indication that Bloomberg is any different than Trump.

1)  He's actually wealthy

2) People in NYC can stand him

3) He's actually self-made

4) He's actually smart

5) He has actually engaged in philanthropy without fraud

*not a defense of Michael Bloomberg, just a demonstration of what a piece of shit is Teh Donald

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 6