Palm Springs

Our first civilian meal coming back from Iraq was at the Outback Steakhouse in Palm Springs.  

Palm Springs itself seemed to me a little like Sugarland but in the desert.  Maybe with more old people.  

I’m sure it was swinging in the 60’s.  Is this your wife’s kind of place?  What were the other suggestions?  Sun City?  Branson?

Hang out at the pool, play some golf, grab a family pic in front of the giant Marilyn Monroe statue, drink some cold beers and margaritas. 

Joshua Tree one of the days most definitely. Big time rock climbing spot but your kids will enjoy climbing around on the boulders. 

I was out there last weekend, and I've been there a ton over the last 35 years or so, some for business, mostly for pleasure. 

PS was a super-cool place in the 50's and 60's.  The architecture was/is amazing, and just about anyone who was anyone in hollywood had a PS pad.  

When I was an bank Asset Manager, I had THIS https://www.dezeen.com/2018/02/21/john-lautner-arthur-elrod-house-concrete-dome-palm-springs-modernism-week/

in my REO portfolio.   It, like much of PS, was in disrepair.  Located in the same neighborhood as Bob Hope's pad, and Steve McQueen's.  It was a shithole, and I sold it at a fire-sale price.  I'm thrilled to see that the restoration is so well done.

About that time, the gays moved in.  Lots of 'em.  And man, did they clean the place up and make it cool again.  I spoke to a prominent broker out there, in about '95.  I said to him "tell me about the market".  He replied, "this is the gay 90's.  Everybody in town is either gay or 90.

So, it became the ultra-cool place to be for about 25 years or so.  Great restaurants, bars, nightclubs, galleries, and shops.   

So, all those gays that came to town, invested, improved the place, went to those restaurants, bars, nightclubs?   Now, they're a bunch of old queens, married, and settled down like the geezers that they are.    Ask a young gay dude in L.A. about Palm Springs...it might as well be Boynton Beach as far as those guys are concerned.  BORING.  I'm sure some young dude on GRINDR can find a blowjob in the desert, but it's not like it used to be.  

For us straight folks, it's still a cool place.  PS, Palm Desert, La Quinta, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, it's all good. 

Back to OP:  There's a pretty decent Air Museum there.  And "The Living Desert" is pretty cool (it's a zoo). https://www.livingdesert.org/

And take a day trip down by the Salton Sea, see "Salvation Mountain" https://www.salvationmountain.us/ and drive through the weirdness that is Slab City.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slab_City,_California

And should you enjoy the devil's weed, there are about 2199 dispensaries there.  Fucking pot is EVERYWHERE.

Edited by Gil Bang

My family has a house at El Dorado CC in Indian Wells -- it's an old school country club with mid century moderns houses everywhere.  Quite a few Texans are members.  A lot of history, they played a Ryder Cup there back in the 50s and Eisenhower had a house on the course.  Love going out there any time from October to May.  We mainly just play golf and tennis, hike, relax by the pool, pick fruit from the 100s of fruit trees at the house and empty lot next door, and cook out while watching the sun set over the mountains.  We really don't eat out much there besides a dinner at the club.  Too much fun to just enjoy the weather and cook steaks on the patio.

There must be 200 golf courses in those desert townshere.  Every one I have been on has been really nice.  So wherever you stay should have nice facilities.

Living Desert is cool.  My kids love it.

The weather will be fantastic in November.

Wife and I went there in February -- stayed at the Ritz in Ranch Mirage (by the way -- stay in Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert as opposed to Palm Springs proper).

As everyone says, if you play golf you will have great choices. Played a couple of courses there.

The tram is fun, and it had snowed the day before we went up so we hiked through the snow up top.  Joshua Tree is pretty amazing, and worth the drive.

Restaurants:  the Edge steakhouse at the Ritz has an amazing view, and the ribeye I had there was a top 5 all time (they do their own dry-aging).  Prices are high, but a nice splurge.  There is an Italian place in Palm Springs called Birba that is very good.  We also ate at Copley's, which is on Cary Grant's old estate.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Wife and I went there in February -- stayed at the Ritz in Ranch Mirage (by the way -- stay in Rancho Mirage or Palm Desert as opposed to Palm Springs proper).

As everyone says, if you play golf you will have great choices. Played a couple of courses there.

The tram is fun, and it had snowed the day before we went up so we hiked through the snow up top.  Joshua Tree is pretty amazing, and worth the drive.

Restaurants:  the Edge steakhouse at the Ritz has an amazing view, and the ribeye I had there was a top 5 all time (they do their own dry-aging).  Prices are high, but a nice splurge.  There is an Italian place in Palm Springs called Birba that is very good.  We also ate at Copley's, which is on Cary Grant's old estate.

Not sure I agree.  If you want to be at a resort, OK.  But those restored Route 66 style motels in PS are pretty cool. 

Also, the Ritz in RM chills their pools in the summer.

Edited by Gil Bang

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Not sure I agree.  If you want to be at a resort, OK.  But those restored Route 66 style motels in PS are pretty cool. 

Also, the Ritz in RM chills their pools in the summer.

Yes they do, but they are not talking about going in the summer, so why does that matter?

I also wouldn’t really call the Ritz RM a “resort.”  

Maybe just me, but I’ll take a Ritz “resort” any day.

3 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Yes they do, but they are not talking about going in the summer, so why does that matter?

I also wouldn’t really call the Ritz RM a “resort.”  

Maybe just me, but I’ll take a Ritz “resort” any day.

2 different things here.  

1) I thought Ritz chilling the pools was interesting, and I expect that many here didn't know that fact.

2)  I didn't call the Ritz a resort, as much as I said PD and RM are more "resortie" than most of PS.

43 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

2 different things here.  

1) I thought Ritz chilling the pools was interesting, and I expect that many here didn't know that fact.

2)  I didn't call the Ritz a resort, as much as I said PD and RM are more "resortie" than most of PS.

Agree with you on (2). Different vibe for sure

• 1 month later...

Heading to PS for a few days after Christmas, one of which is my wife's bday.

Italian is her favorite cuisine, so thinking I'll go that route.  I saw Birba mentioned above, but it's pretty low on the rating/ranking scale.

Any other Italian suggestions in the Palm Springs area?  Don't mind driving.  Would prefer something on the nicer side, but food is most important.

Definitely do the tram.

You want an old school Rat Pack type of experience?  Try Melvyn's.  Things can be hit or miss there, but when I last went it was really good.  Our waiter was about 75 and had great stories about Sinatra, et al.  I think if you go there with the attitude that you're there in part for the history and atmosphere, you'll be okay.  The food itself is old school, and so not everyone's cup of tea.  (Your kid might not be into it, but whatever . . .)

Copley's is good for dinner.  I know people who love Spencer's.  My experience there was underwhelming  

If you're a golfer, you'll be in your element.

Road trip to Joshua Tree NP.  Or if you really want to go to an out-of-the way place for some slot canyon-type hiking, try the Painted Canyon hike in the Mecca Hills southeast of PS.

On 12/9/2019 at 4:38 PM, Spoosner said:

Italian is her favorite cuisine, so thinking I'll go that route.  I saw Birba mentioned above, but it's pretty low on the rating/ranking scale.

Any other Italian suggestions in the Palm Springs area?  Don't mind driving.  Would prefer something on the nicer side, but food is most important.

I can tell you from going there that Birba is worth going to.  Look at independent reviews vs. Yelp chatter.  Also agree that Copley’s is good, and a nice setting

DO the Tram, and Joshua Tree

If you want one really nice meal, go to The Edge steakhouse at the Ritz Rancho Mirage (which is a nice hotel, where we stayed).  It was honestly one of the best steaks I have had — dry aged ribeye, and they do their own dry-aging.  Great location overlooking the valley.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, Spoosner said:

Castellis is fantastic Italian but it is down in Palm desert. 

On 12/9/2019 at 4:38 PM, Spoosner said:

Villa Bakery 67470 Ramon Rd, Cathedral City . 
We ate here after golf damn near every day. Clean, friendly and cheap. Awesome shredded beef fried tacos. Great bakery. 

• 3 years later...