Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon at UT thread

burntorangebongos

The show was terrific marketing.  Give the persons who made it happen a big raise.

That said, I thought McConaughey's act last night was dumb.  Does anyone not a UT fan get into his schtick?   The New Age Joel Osteenesque Ministry of Culture bit doesn't work, just gets a 'Whatever' shrug from non-fans.  I could almost hear remotes changing the channel as he droned on.  Do we not have any other celebs we can mix in as Longhorn icons, he's way overexposed now.  A little goes a long way. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

The show was terrific marketing.  Give the persons who made it happen a big raise.

That said, I thought McConaughey's act last night was dumb.  Does anyone not a UT fan get into his schtick?   The New Age Joel Osteenesque Ministry of Culture bit doesn't work, just gets a 'Whatever' shrug from non-fans.  I could almost hear remotes changing the channel as he droned on.  Do we not have any other celebs we can mix in as Longhorn icons, he's way overexposed now.  A little goes a long way. 

I told my wife this morning that McConaughey's so over the top it makes it seem fake.  Like it's a bit.

I'm as big a "Texas Guy" as anyone, but I feel like Jack Black in Airborne after listening to him go on about UT.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Yeah the Sky Sports guys went way too long with him during prerace coverage for F1 at COTA last weekend as well.

MOC can be tiring, but damn if he doesn't get the allure of old Austin. He gets it, and is the only person we have speaking up for it on a big stage outside of reddit/interwebz. I loved his few sentences on the city and "Keeping Austin, Austin".

I followed the show on Twitter and saw more than a few people tweeting about wanting to visit Austin now, which kind of defeats the purpose of his rambling, but also argues against the "nobody outside of UT listens to his shtick" point.

Good episode, I like having my knob polished on national television as an alumn, corny or not.

• Like 2

the aggy acceptance joke was dead on true. aggy has absolutely no response. they are a diploma mill and got called out on national tv. that and OU sucks made the show worth it. we took a giant dump on those shit schools on national television and they can't do a fucking thing about it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

MOC can be tiring, but damn if he doesn't get the allure of old Austin. He gets it, and is the only person we have speaking up for it on a big stage outside of reddit/interwebz. I loved his few sentences on the city and "Keeping Austin, Austin".

I followed the show on Twitter and saw more than a few people tweeting about wanting to visit Austin now, which kind of defeats the purpose of his rambling, but also argues against the "nobody outside of UT listens to his shtick" point.

Good episode, I like having my knob polished on national television as an alumn, corny or not.

Unfortunately, the ship might've sailed on his whole 'Keep Austin Austin' campaign.

People can come visit all they want -- just don't let them move there.

As Burdine said, knob-polishing good.

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Yeah, the schtick's gotten old.  But so has he.   The guy's 50 now. 

Is this going to be round 2 of "real world: Austin" when tons of Californians and New Yorkers decided to come to Austin based on how fun it looks on tee vee?

Great for the University though, especially being the first. We are the standard. No other school they try to go do this on will come close. 

Jimmy Fallon sucks but he's George Carlin compared to any other late night show. I wish they would let him hire the writing talent because it seems like he is funny but he cant turn the shit on the teleprompter funny.

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

Great aggy joke and Jimmy with the “OU sucks!” Enjoying this so far. I’m sure the Minister of Culture won’t disappoint. Fuck Chip and Joanna.

While I continue to hate all things Baylor and Waco and not a huge fan of the enterprise they've built but I wanted to say they weren't awful last night.

Edited by C-Man