Austin Thanksgiving Dinner Restaurant Recs

Landomatic

Looks like we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving in Austin this year, coming in the day before the Tech game Friday.  Looking for someplace offering pretty traditional Thanksgiving fare.  Seems most of the chain steakhouses (Fleming's, Capital Grille, Trulucks, etc) have decent options.  Any better places we should be considering?  Staying at JW Marriott so it'd be great if it's walkable.

18 minutes ago, futureman said:

have you checked places like olamaie and odd duck and shit like that?  if they were doing something I bet it’d be good. 

Both closed.  Any others along those lines?  That's more the direction I'm leaning.

I feel like I can get chain steakhouse food anytime.  Granted, we did Del Frisco in Dallas one year and it was about as good a Thanksgiving meal as I've ever had.  So maybe better safe than sorry.

31 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Both closed.  Any others along those lines?  That's more the direction I'm leaning.

from thoreau’s link the driskill would be pretty good and different from typical steakhouse.  hoover’s and threadgill’s much more casual but probably delicious. 

55 minutes ago, futureman said:

from thoreau’s link the driskill would be pretty good and different from typical steakhouse.  hoover’s and threadgill’s much more casual but probably delicious. 

Yeah, the Driskill looks perfect but it's completely booked.  The other two would be great for me, but they're gonna be too casual for the wife (no pics).

49 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We ate at Trace a couple years ago, the food wasn't absolutely fantastic for the price but it was a good experience.

Thanks, I put it on the list.

46 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

We did Lonesome Dove a couple years ago. It was great as they had the regular menu and a special 4 course Thanksgiving option as well.

Does Tim Love still own that place?  I can't stand that guy.

25 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Paul Martins in domain has 3 course priced well 

Seems farther than we want to go.  Plus it's a chain and we have one right by our house.

42 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Here's a first pass at a short list of non-chain places close to the hotel that are doing thanksgiving.  Thoughts on any of these?

Caroline

Stella San Jack

Trace

Corner

Arlo Grey

Group Therapy

I’ve lived in Austin for 20 years now and I’ve never heard of any of these places.  but I also don’t follow the trends. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Hyde Park Bar & Grill always makes a big deal over Thanksgiving.  They don't take reservations, but always serve plenty of wine/cocktails while you are waiting.  Fun place and very "Austin-ish" -- it sounds like you may be looking for something like that.

We did this one year and it was great, but it was several years ago.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Here's a first pass at a short list of non-chain places close to the hotel that are doing thanksgiving.  Thoughts on any of these?

Caroline

Stella San Jack

Trace

Corner

Arlo Grey

Group Therapy

out of those i've only been to stella san jac and corner bar, they're both fine and you can't go wrong with either.  i prefer stella san jac though.  mainly because of the scallops.  i get them on top of whatever else i order.

Yeah, the Driskill looks perfect but it's completely booked. 

Just remembered we ate either tgiving or xmas dinner there 20 years ago and if it's anything now like it was then, you're not missing a thing. Huge, disorganized production. Long waits. Shitty food. Goddamn, it sucked. 

Caroline

Stella San Jack

Trace

Corner

Arlo Grey

Group Therapy

been to the first two a couple of times, enjoyed both - neither are particularly upscale but would probably be fine for Thanksgiving.  schnitzel at caroline is great, FWIW.   no idea if that would be on a Thanksgiving menu.  i went in and looked around at Arlo Grey once after we had burgers at the place next door - that would definitely be a more upscale option, from what i can tell.  been to Trace a couple times for lunch and wasn't particularly impressed either time.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Caroline

Stella San Jack

Trace

Corner

Arlo Grey

Group Therapy

Take Trace off the list. I have to eat there a bunch and it is mediocre at best. I’m sure they could find a way to make a horrible Tday meal.

Well, after some exhaustive research, I'm now back leaning traditional steakhouse.  Just seems to set up best for what I'm looking for.  Think I'm settling on Fleming's.  Bonus is how close it is to the hotel.  Assuming the wife will be in heels, saves me from having to listen to her bitch when we're walking over.  Their menu looks solid too and I've liked Fleming's every time I've tried it in other cities.

Yes, but it also has to be a place that will let me in wearing my tailored knock off jersey.  You know...one that will show off my physique.

I can see it now.  Fancy Thanksgiving dinner amongst ths classy Jews, your wife in heels and you in your tailored knock off Texans jesery-- whilst watching the Dallas Cowboys play.  

This has all the signs of a great movie scene...

On 11/8/2019 at 2:07 PM, utee94 said:

I can see it now.  Fancy Thanksgiving dinner amongst ths classy Jews, your wife in heels and you in your tailored knock off Texans jesery-- whilst watching the Dallas Cowboys play.  

This has all the signs of a great movie scene...

Yep that’s exactly how I see it goin down.  It’ll need its own thread for sure

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CoTex said:

The correct answer is Ciclo at the Four Seasons.

What do I win?

I’m sure they do an amazing job.  But, the wife doesn’t want a buffet and the cost is $100 per person (everywhere else is $50 or less per person).  So, twice the cost for a buffet is gonna be a pass for me dog.

Edited by Landomatic