Ohio State defensive end Chase Young suspended

Parliament

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s like 28k a year for an out of state student to go to tOSU, about $12k for in state. Over 4 years that’s not really all that close to $200k. 

Does that include room and board, books and supplies, tutors, gym, some walking-around cash... ?

Just now, Tex Long said:

Does that include room and board, books and supplies, tutors, gym, some walking-around cash... ?

It does include room & board, & gym access (that’s a fee included in tuition at virtually all colleges). Doesn’t include books, tutoring or “walking around cash” or whatever the fuck you mean by that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Internet scuttlebutt says if he can show the loan was repaid last summer, as he said, a 1 game suspension will suffice. Stay home from the game and focus on getting fresh for the stretch run.

Regarding paying for family members to travel to bowls, Urby was a strong advocate for that. He raised a stink about not being able to comp travel to playoff games and it looks like they fixed at least that.

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm almost positive that any player can choose to not play football.  He would then be completely free to profit from his image, accept under the table payments,  have all the no-show jobs he can handle, and accept free flights for him and his family anywhere in the world.

It’s pretty appalling that these guys actually want to get money & benefits that people are willing to give them for their skillset. You don’t see kids in the band offering paid music lessons, or smart students trying to get paid for tutoring others. But football players think they’re special. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

So, the ncaa recently voted that it’s ok for a player to profit from NIL, but is now suspending a player for getting free plane tickets for his family because he’s good at football?

No, the university suspended him and is conducting an investigation. They'll share the results of their investigation with the NCAA. The NCAA hasn't had a hand in this yet beyond the fact that the university is part of the NCAA. 

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s pretty appalling that these guys actually want to get money & benefits that people are willing to give them for their skillset. You don’t see kids in the band offering paid music lessons, or smart students trying to get paid for tutoring others. But football players think they’re special. 

Yeah, those band members should just be happy with their own dorms with a private cafeteria and nutritionist and the fact that the entire band is on full scholarship, including tutors to make sure they don't fail.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yeah, those band members should just be happy with their own dorms with a private cafeteria and nutritionist and the fact that the entire band is on full scholarship, including tutors to make sure they don't fail.

Demand for band members isn’t just high enough to warrant any of that. Don’t hate on capitalism.

Also no football team has every player on scholarship. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, woohorn said:

I figured family/friends could deal normally with SAs and NCAA only kicks in for "boosters". Is that generally correct?

Yes.  Anyone you have already connected to for "non-football" reasons is fair game to support you.

So like Quentin Jammer could give Quandre a car and fly their family to any game ever.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Internet scuttlebutt says if he can show the loan was repaid last summer, as he said, a 1 game suspension will suffice. Stay home from the game and focus on getting fresh for the stretch run.

Regarding paying for family members to travel to bowls, Urby was a strong advocate for that. He raised a stink about not being able to comp travel to playoff games and it looks like they fixed at least that.

Too bad Urbs didn’t raise a stink about the wife beater he had on his coaching staff.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Good god almighty. That greedy sumbitch accepted illegal money so his parents could fly to see him play in a football game for which the University that he plays for - for free - was paid multiple millions of dollars. What a fucking piece of shit!

I wonder how many NCAA officials flew from the headquarters in Indianapolis to that Rose Bowl, and the NCAA paid for their flights.

49 minutes ago, Helobious said:

And the coaches get 10M contracts.  Fuck the free education BS.  Let them get paid.  Also those ‘academic’ advisors encourage total BS majors that would never lead to real jobs anyway.  It’s a scam to make money off mostly poor black kids.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It does include room & board, & gym access (that’s a fee included in tuition at virtually all colleges). Doesn’t include books, tutoring or “walking around cash” or whatever the fuck you mean by that.

"Whatever the fuck you mean by that"??? Are you being disingenuous, or do you really not understand? 

Never mind, because OSU itself says in-state expenses are around $28K and out-of-state are $46K. So from $112K to $184K, mas o menos, and including books/supplies but not including tutoring or any other costs/expenses (movies, concerts, snacks/meals out...).

All those things considered, I'd say "up to around $200K" is a decent estimate.

The actual dollar amount is not really the point, though, is it? Leastways, it seems that the real argument revolves around whether "payment" is reserved for dollar transactions with government-approved paperwork, with a somewhat nebulous differentiation between "permissible" and "impermissible" transactions.

The whole fucking mess of NCAA rules seems to have originated from the idea of a "level playing field" being necessary to prevent wealthy schools from dominating various sports by simply paying players who (mostly) pretend to be real students. If the rules were strictly enforced, it looks like almost all FBS schools would be on probation - but there is no such strict enforcement. I personally give no fucks whatever - do away with that bullshit, let everybody pay players whatever they wish, let the players play as long as they want and can. I'm not 100% certain a nanofuck is to be given about whether they're even students or no.

Let there be ENTERTAINMENT. Are you not entertained? 

At least 50% (and that is a very conservative estimate) of the guys who get full rides to play football at Ohio State, Texas and the like are simply incapable of taking advantage of the educational opportunities offered by those universities, particularly given the time commitment associated with playing D-1 football.  

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

"Whatever the fuck you mean by that"??? Are you being disingenuous, or do you really not understand? 

Never mind, because OSU itself says in-state expenses are around $28K and out-of-state are $46K. So from $112K to $184K, mas o menos, and including books/supplies but not including tutoring or any other costs/expenses (movies, concerts, snacks/meals out...).

All those things considered, I'd say "up to around $200K" is a decent estimate.

The actual dollar amount is not really the point, though, is it? Leastways, it seems that the real argument revolves around whether "payment" is reserved for dollar transactions with government-approved paperwork, with a somewhat nebulous differentiation between "permissible" and "impermissible" transactions.

The whole fucking mess of NCAA rules seems to have originated from the idea of a "level playing field" being necessary to prevent wealthy schools from dominating various sports by simply paying players who (mostly) pretend to be real students. If the rules were strictly enforced, it looks like almost all FBS schools would be on probation - but there is no such strict enforcement. I personally give no fucks whatever - do away with that bullshit, let everybody pay players whatever they wish, let the players play as long as they want and can. I'm not 100% certain a nanofuck is to be given about whether they're even students or no.

Let there be ENTERTAINMENT. Are you not entertained? 

Not sure how you define expenses. I looked on their website & got $12k & 28k for tuition & room and board. I feel like anything outside of that can be (somewhat) controlled by the individual. I don’t think public schools in Ohio should even charge out of state students more money. They should be grateful for folks coming into that shithole.

8 minutes ago, alincoln said:

At least 50% (and that is a very conservative estimate) of the guys who get full rides to play football at Ohio State, Texas and the like are simply incapable of taking advantage of the educational opportunities offered by those universities, particularly given the time commitment associated with playing D-1 football.  

Can you list the 42+ players on the Texas roster that you think are too stupid to be able to gain anything from an education?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

And you can't exchange those goods and services for things like food or entertainment or family medical bills or plane tickets for your family to watch you play in the Rose Bowl. Those things require cash.

56 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And the coaches get 10M contracts.  Fuck the free education BS.  Let them get paid.  Also those ‘academic’ advisors encourage total BS majors that would never lead to real jobs anyway.  It’s a scam to make money off mostly poor black kids.  

Sooner fans being OK with improper benefits is very 'on brand'

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Can you list the 42+ players on the Texas roster that you think are too stupid to be able to gain anything from an education?

Well over 50% of the players on the roster who receive full scholarships of of HS will either never graduate or will graduate with a completely worthless degree in a major that the football program and AD developed specifically for athletes in revenue sports to avoid APR penalties.  A shadow university consisting of "academic advisors," "tutors," and bullshit classes and majors exists at every Power 5 school to preserve the illusion of scholar athletes in revenue generating D-1 sports.  

Some of the players do lack the intelligence to succeed academically at a university the caliber of UT.  Many others lack the requisite preparation and academic development.  Many others aren't at Texas to play school.   

3 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Keep up that holier than thou shit.  If paying poor black kids to play football and win games is wrong...I’m ok not being right.  

I deal with people dying on a daily basis.  I’ll save my worrying for shit that matters.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Keep up that holier than thou shit.  If paying poor black kids to play football and win games is wrong...I’m ok not being right.  

I deal with people dying on a daily basis.  I’ll save my worrying for shit that matters.  

so, only if they are really really good at football then? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Well over 50% of the players on the roster who receive full scholarships of of HS will either never graduate or will graduate with a completely worthless degree in a major that the football program and AD developed specifically for athletes in revenue sports to avoid APR penalties.  A shadow university consisting of "academic advisors," "tutors," and bullshit classes and majors exists at every Power 5 school to preserve the illusion of scholar athletes in revenue generating D-1 sports.  

Some of the players do lack the intelligence to succeed academically at a university the caliber of UT.  Many others lack the requisite preparation and academic development.  Many others aren't at Texas to play school.   

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrMLpC2EPIRtbvzQE9dkX

• Like 1

Of course then he would have to show where he came up with the money to pay the loan back which would undoubtedly lead down another ineligible path

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Good god almighty. That greedy sumbitch accepted illegal money so his parents could fly to see him play in a football game for which the University that he plays for - for free - was paid multiple millions of dollars. What a fucking piece of shit!

What else did he take money for?

17 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

How fortunate for OSU that this came to light the week of their game against Maryland that he can get his one game suspension served, and that it didn't go public the next week for their game against undefeated Penn State. Just a very fortunate coincidence.

They could suspend every starter for the Michigan game & still win by 3 tds. Expect new shit to come to light that week too 

• Fuck You 1

How fortunate for OSU that this came to light the week of their game against Maryland that he can get his one game suspension served, and that it didn't go public the next week for their game against undefeated Penn State. Just a very fortunate coincidence.
God works in wonderous ways. #blessed

Ha I’m surprised it took this long. That said, I didn’t say I’m ok with it, but I understand. The scholarship, while valuable, doesn’t do you any good when your mom is being evicted or you need to travel home for a funeral or your family wants to watch you play in one of the most historic venues in college football. You can’t get that back in the future.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

source.gif

Have you kept up with that rivalry? tOSU would have a 15 year win streak if not for that weird 2011 post-probation game. It’s a mental thing. Michigan sees those leaf stickers and goes into pantshit mode. They won’t beat Ohio State for a very long time, doesn’t matter who’s playing for them.

8 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Both, more better: "Ham and Swiss, Emmenthaler if you have it. On sourdough. Mayo on the cheese side, mustard on the ham side. Here's a twenty, put that sandwich on the table in less than five minutes and keep the change."

If you pay $20 for a sammich, how much do you have to pay for sex?  

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Have you kept up with that rivalry? tOSU would have a 15 year win streak if not for that weird 2011 post-probation game. It’s a mental thing. Michigan sees those leaf stickers and goes into pantshit mode. They won’t beat Ohio State for a very long time, doesn’t matter who’s playing for them.

Yes I've kept up with it. tOSU owns them but they've played quite a few close games over that stretch. I don't think tOSU missing all of their starters would be good for their chances in continuing that domination. 

Then again I think Michigan has a shot this year anyway, and have felt that for awhile, but that's just a weird gut feeling I have. 

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Then again I think Michigan has a shot this year anyway, and have felt that for awhile, but that's just a weird gut feeling I have. 

Yeah well I wouldn’t bet on it. And I mean literally, don’t bet on michigan to win. You will lose money. If the spread is less than a TD I wouldn’t bet on them to even cover. They match up horribly with the buckeyes this year.