Harris County District Judge Indicted for 7 Counts of Wire Fraud

Johnny Sack

Alexandra Smoots-Thomas, who previously used the name Smoots-Hogan, allegedly embezzled campaign contributions individuals and political action committees had made to her re-election campaigns.

According to the charges against her, she soliciting campaign contributions for 2012 and 2016 but used that money for non-campaign expenses, including home mortgage payments, private school tuition, personal travel expenses, personal luxury items and cash withdrawals. She allegedly concealed this spending from both her campaign treasurer and the Texas Ethics Commission by filing false campaign finance reports.

A federal grand jury returned the seven-count indictment Oct. 24, which was unsealed Friday as she surrendered to federal authorities. She is expected to make her initial court appearance Friday.

Each count of wire fraud carries a possible sentence of up to 20 years in federal prison as well as a maximum $250,000 fine.

I have had tangential dealings with this judge.  Am not surprised one bit.  She is shady.  There are a couple others from that class of 2008 elections in Harris County that are probably puckering up right now.  

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/crime/judge-alexandra-smoots-thomas-indicted-on-allegations-of-wire-fraud/285-0a0cd8fc-953c-4839-b62b-92af0b4c9658

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well....I'm guessing it won't be hard to get a continuance in a case pending in her court....good to know.

Pretty sure she’s been undergoing cancer treatments and her cases have largely been farmed out.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

If there were a white-collar-y case where the hammer should be dropped, this would seem to be it.

Rather than her education and position of public trust being pros for her generally good character and contribution, the fact that, with those advantages, she still committed theft crimes undifferentiable from those committed by the poor and addicted, should mean she gets cornholed at sentencing.

But she won't, so I won't have to worry about the inconsistency in generally being for lighter sentences, except for white collar crimes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Pretty sure she’s been undergoing cancer treatments and her cases have largely been farmed out.  

Yeah, one of my cases got kicked from her court earlier this year. That’s the news I’d heard.  New judge just gave me a summary judgment. #humblebrag

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Alexandra Smoots-Thomas, who previously used the name Smoots-Hogan, allegedly embezzled campaign contributions individuals and political action committees had made to her re-election campaigns.

According to the charges against her, she soliciting campaign contributions for 2012 and 2016 but used that money for non-campaign expenses, including home mortgage payments, private school tuition, personal travel expenses, personal luxury items and cash withdrawals. She allegedly concealed this spending from both her campaign treasurer and the Texas Ethics Commission by filing false campaign finance reports.

A federal grand jury returned the seven-count indictment Oct. 24, which was unsealed Friday as she surrendered to federal authorities. She is expected to make her initial court appearance Friday.

Each count of wire fraud carries a possible sentence of up to 20 years in federal prison as well as a maximum $250,000 fine.

I have had tangential dealings with this judge.  Am not surprised one bit.  She is shady.  There are a couple others from that class of 2008 elections in Harris County that are probably puckering up right now.  

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/crime/judge-alexandra-smoots-thomas-indicted-on-allegations-of-wire-fraud/285-0a0cd8fc-953c-4839-b62b-92af0b4c9658

Many of them are shady, and that's putting it mildly.

I've appeared before her many times.  She is rude, condescending, disresptful and unprepared.  She's been off the bench for a while due to her medical conditons (which sucks -- my wife is a survivor), so it has been a while since I've actually been in her court.  This news does not surprise me.

47 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

I've appeared before her many times.  She is rude, condescending, disresptful and unprepared.  She's been off the bench for a while due to her medical conditons (which sucks -- my wife is a survivor), so it has been a while since I've actually been in her court.  This news does not surprise me.

She is all those things.  And uncomfortably close to some of her buddy attorneys who appear before her.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:01 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Fraudulently using campaign funds for personal expenses is illegal??? I can think of some folks in higher offices that should be looked at too, I wonder why they aren't....

• Fuck You 1

Meh, 20 grand in misusing campaign funds doesn't really move the needle that much for me in terms of outrage. Also I've heard the FBI/US attorneys offered her a very interesting kind if plea deal that I'm not going to post here because I haven't seen it published anywhere. She should probably resign, let Abbot appoint some Republican for a year, and then a Democrat will be re-elected to the bench. Hopefully a net positive if a good judge is elected to the bench in 2020. 

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Meh, 20 grand in misusing campaign funds doesn't really move the needle that much for me in terms of outrage. Also I've heard the FBI/US attorneys offered her a very interesting kind if plea deal that I'm not going to post here because I haven't seen it published anywhere. She should probably resign, let Abbot appoint some Republican for a year, and then a Democrat will be re-elected to the bench. Hopefully a net positive if a good judge is elected to the bench in 2020. 

She’s a shitty and corrupt judge who happens to be not all that smart while being abusive.  So I’m glad to see her go away.  Wouldn’t mind some one taking a peek at the finances of a few other of our Harris County judges.  I’ve witnessed some shady, shady shit by a bunch of them.  

On 11/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, smwhorn said:

I've appeared before her many times.  She is rude, condescending, disrespectful and unprepared.  

I agree with the first three, but never experienced her being unprepared. Fortunately, she liked me for some reason, and she was never rude to me. But man, she can really dress someone down for the most unexpected things. I've definitely cringed for opposing counsel many times. 

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

It really is astonishing how much ego plays a part in our judicial system amongst so many judges.

(notice I didn't say "all".  I've seen some good, fair, and impartial ones.  They do exist, but few and far between in my experience)

In state court judges, the ones who get too close to their donors are often the biggest problem.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, Johnny Sack said:

I’d like to think they are looking at a lot of judges.  Because I know quite a few that live very lavish lifestyles compared to their earnings.  The ones who do a shit ton of fundraising despite running unopposed in the primaries.  

I think it says a lot about the human condition that a successful lawyer would leave a thriving practice to become a relatively low-paid judge.  Status and power vs. money. 

On 11/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, Captainant said:

Fraudulently using campaign funds for personal expenses is illegal??? I can think of some folks in higher offices that should be looked at too, I wonder why they aren't....

Duncan Hunter says "hi".   And so does his pet rabbit...the one with frequent flyer miles. 

I think it says a lot about the human condition that a successful lawyer would leave a thriving practice to become a relatively low-paid judge.  Status and power vs. money. 

To be fair, I know a few that have done so towards the end of their career. They don’t need the money anymore, and want to serve. They are usually excellent judges - they’ve been around the block, and know what’s up. You can use shorthand for a lot with them, and it’s really efficient.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

To be fair, I know a few that have done so towards the end of their career. They don’t need the money anymore, and want to serve. They are usually excellent judges - they’ve been around the block, and know what’s up. You can use shorthand for a lot with them, and it’s really efficient.

OK.  That makes sense, and it's something that a non-lawyer really couldn't know.  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't think she was all that successful as a lawyer.

Oh, and there are some of those, for sure.  People who aren't great at the practice of law, but are great at politicking and name recognition.  Seem to be on every committee, active in party politics....and parlay that into a seat on the bench.  Happens all over.

Also, until you reach a certain point in your career, being a lawyer in a firm is brutal hard work, at least in terms of hours  And even when you reach that point, the hours are not good.  Being a state district judge, not so much.

Being a federal district judge is harder.  Also somewhat more likely to lead somewhere, although both could.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I guess if you could still bring a monkey into court in a briefcase it might be a decent trade-off.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:50 PM, Johnny Sack said:

I’d like to think they are looking at a lot of judges.  Because I know quite a few that live very lavish lifestyles compared to their earnings.  The ones who do a shit ton of fundraising despite running unopposed in the primaries.  

It's not just judges they are looking at. Stern and his case running crew aren't the only ones who are going down. 

I don't think she was all that successful as a lawyer.

This. Most of the judges who were elected in the democrat sweeps in 2008 and subsequent elections were not particularly successful or experienced. Many of them had never tried a case. And in 2008 Harris County was thought to be solidly republican so most of the democrat candidates were relative no bodies. We need a better way to select our judges

This. Most of the judges who were elected in the democrat sweeps in 2008 and subsequent elections were not particularly successful or experienced. Many of them had never tried a case. And in 2008 Harris County was thought to be solidly republican so most of the democrat candidates were relative no bodies. We need a better way to select our judges

And the same thing happened a while back when the big counties flipped GOP. Same issues with inexperienced candidates who weren’t even ready vetted.

The GOP had no issue with it back then. Now, they want to take away judicial elections...in places that might vote Dem.

48 minutes ago, HouTex said:

*democratic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

I agree. Which is why I support the Republican bill to make judges in counties of over 500,000 people appointed by the governor. Just common sense politics. 

1 hour ago, Mack Tripper said:

It's not just judges they are looking at. Stern and his case running crew aren't the only ones who are going down. 

Running cases is so far down the list for crazy shit Stern has done. I have no idea how he isn’t in prison, although he soon will be. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And the same thing happened a while back when the big counties flipped GOP. Same issues with inexperienced candidates who weren’t even ready vetted.

The GOP had no issue with it back then. Now, they want to take away judicial elections...in places that might vote Dem.

I’ve been a proponent of modifying our judicial election process for 20 years.  98 percent of the voters don’t know a thing about judges.  We lost a bunch of good judges on both sides due to straight ticket voting and partisan elections. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve been a proponent of modifying our judicial election process for 20 years.  98 percent of the voters don’t know a thing about judges.  We lost a bunch of good judges on both sides due to straight ticket voting and partisan elections. 

So have I. But now the GOP in Texas is suddenly on board with judicial reform after scores of their people got voted out across the state. Seems a bit disingenuous. 

• Like 1

Still, I suppose we should take it any way we can get it.

Nope. It’s naked partisan politics.

Have them elected, and subject to retention elections. And whatever the rule is, apply it across the board, not just in areas cherry picked by a party that wants to hold onto power once it becomes a minority party. Fuck that shit.

And I am no fan of partisan judicial elections. I’m even LESS of a fan of naked partisan judicial appointments.

Not so in Harris County. I was a young lawyer when the flip happened in the late 80’s-early 90’s. It wasn’t as swift and dramatic as 2008 and the GOP judges were considered competent. The winner of the HBA bar poll usually won or it was close. In 2008 none of the HBA bar poll winners were elected.