Harris County District Judge Indicted for 7 Counts of Wire Fraud

Johnny Sack

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve been a proponent of modifying our judicial election process for 20 years.  98 percent of the voters don’t know a thing about judges.  We lost a bunch of good judges on both sides due to straight ticket voting and partisan elections. 

I've said the same for years.  I'm more interested in government/politics that 95% of people, and, unless I've been a juror in a judge's courtroom, I have no fucking idea whether a judge is a good guy or a dick.  And, it's not like they hold town halls or anything. 

I'd love to ask a judge if he would sign a no-knock warrant.  If the answer is "yes", then the motherfucker doesn't get my vote.  But I will never get that chance. 

I'm not a fan of judicial elections, but with partisan politics being the way they are, I don't have faith that competent judges will be appointed either. I would remove the letter next to their name on the ballot if it was up to me, but then I'd remove all party affiliation from the ballot for all candidates for all elections and have them listed in random order.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm not a fan of judicial elections, but with partisan politics being the way they are, I don't have faith that competent judges will be appointed either. I would remove the letter next to their name on the ballot if it was up to me, but then I'd remove all party affiliation from the ballot for all candidates for all elections and have them listed in random order.

I would remove parties all together and elect politicians solely on how well they can deliver an Aaron Sorkin monologue from the West Wing.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/9/2019 at 2:29 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

Meh, 20 grand in misusing campaign funds doesn't really move the needle that much for me in terms of outrage. Also I've heard the FBI/US attorneys offered her a very interesting kind if plea deal that I'm not going to post here because I haven't seen it published anywhere. She should probably resign, let Abbot appoint some Republican for a year, and then a Democrat will be re-elected to the bench. Hopefully a net positive if a good judge is elected to the bench in 2020. 

The plea deal is more intriguing than the indictment. My guess is this is quite pervasive. 

^^Sorry, forgot to include the quote from the linked article on that Twitter...

Tuesday afternoon, Jacobs' attorney said the embarrassing chapter will be a "turning point" for the judge, who accepted responsibility for his actions.

"Here is a judge who has now understood and accepted punishment for something they've done wrong, which that's quite a message for the people who stand before him," said the attorney, Larry Wilder. "The beauty of being human is we make mistakes and we're allowed to make mistakes. If you make amends for those mistakes, you recognize what you've done, and you do better, then we all embrace one another and accept that we're better people."

He should have called Greg!

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Btw @Johnny Sack I didn’t mean this as a slight at you; I was genuinely curious.  My thought was it may be similar to the thin blue line, just with lawyers.  

There is a State Commission on Judicial Conduct, where judicial complaints may be made.  They are not anonymous, however.  Allowing them to be anonymous would be a shit show.  http://www.scjc.texas.gov/complaint-faq/

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did not take it as one.  I don't need the hassle or harm to my career from diming out a judge.

Yeah I understand that.

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Allowing them to be anonymous would be a shit show.

Potentially, yes.  On the other hand, it breeds confidence that they are above the law, because who is going to turn them in and hassle or harm their career?   There are whistleblowers for all kinds of other occupations, odd there isn't for this level of govt.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did not take it as one.  I don't need the hassle or harm to my career from diming out a judge.

I too do not mean this as a dig at you Johhny, but the bolded is precisely what they count on.  

In your shoes, I'd have the exact same stance.

Edited by Cajun

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.
Like it or not, that’s just a reality - a lawyer who picks a fight with a judge will be looked at askance by the bench for the rest of his career.

And that's the cryin' shame of it.

How very NFL of the judiciary.

Edited by Cajun

• 10 months later...

Texas may want to follow Colorado when it comes to Judges if it gets an opportunity.  https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/Nominating.cfm 

When it comes to reporting judicial misconduct (not innuendo), isn't there an ethical duty to report in Texas?

Corrupt jurists can and should be removed. See Operation Greylord in Chicagoland for how it is successfully done. If you have that kind of corruption, Texas needs a reboot. 

On 9/18/2020 at 8:21 AM, Bosco said:

Legal experts on here weigh in.  Shouldn't the assault charge still be active as it is a state charge?  This was just a federal charge plea, no?

Yes.

That's a sad story, but I wonder how many other defendants Hughes has thrown the book at that could conjure a similar story of a fucked up recent life.