Sassy Student Serially Struck by Splenetic Substitute 

Craftywidget

3 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

What they own is much more precious to them than somebody with economic means who can replace things. They've lived a life hiding things from brothers, sisters, cousins and god-knows-who-else has been through their home with a single parent, grandma, foster family, shelter. 

Would have been my guess but checking.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:22 AM, Armybrat said:

This is correct.
If the kid slaps the teacher for attempting to confiscate the phone, then it is off to the office for the kid... and the teacher should file an assault charge on the miscreant.

csb/Had a kid cold-cock me once. Dad was a cop, mom police dispatcher. After I refused to back off on charges we went to court. Kid sued everyone from me through school board. It was the last week of school and I was instructed to go home for the remainder. Kid got busted. But man, I clearly remember how I was put out on an island when others' jobs and pocketbooks were at stake.

Kid's dead now. Executed in Huntsville. Racist murder.

Edited by Nolacycling

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

csb/Had a kid cold-cock me once. Dad was a cop, mom police dispatcher. After I refused to back off on charges we went to court. Kid sued everyone from me through school board. It was the last week of school and I was instructed to go home for the remainder. Kid got busted. But man, I clearly remember how I was put out on an island when others' jobs and pocketbooks were at stake.

Because "the kid" sued, I am assuming that pere et mere were some fine pieces of work that contributed mightily to their demon seed's demise.

I assume the suits went exactly nowhere?

Who was he?

23 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

I run into this phone  scenario often. School policies differ, but confiscating the phone is often the rule. However, I never grab at a kid's phone or touch them. Generally, I will ask them to place it in a location where they can see it at all times but it is out of reach and they can pick it up on their way out of class. Sometimes they cooperate ,sometimes not. These kids are married to their phones and the lower the economic standing of the student the less the chance you will get their phone. 

That being said, the sub was clearly out of bounds. Subbing is a miserable way to earn a dollar. I wish that all parents would spend a few days being a sub to experience the complete lack of any respect. And not in the honors physics II class at Lake Travis High.

I really really like this idea.

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can’t use a criminal history on a job app. That’s. “Unfair” 

Actually, though, that's not what criminal justice reform advocates are looking for.  There are a lot of jobs where criminal history isn't particularly relevant.  And any such history inquiry should be confined to relevant history.  Domestic violence is directly relevant to teaching, as would be child sexual abuse.