Not a coach

jimmyjazz

I'm not a coach.  I didn't play football.  I wrestled, and did calculus, and music.

Can someone explain the rationale for what almost looks like man coverage on KSU wideouts where the inside defender crashes down and the outside defender veers inside, leaving the far wideout open?  I can't see what's off screen but for fuck's sake it looks like simple man coverage principles would do better than letting them pass for 10+ yards unblocked.

It feels like we're not as smart as "we" think we are (ahem, Todd). 

This is an actual question, by the way.  I assume the theory is that safeties (off screen) on the back end will clean up, but I'm not seeing it.  I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not a coach.  I didn't play football.  I wrestled, and did calculus, and music.

Can someone explain the rationale for what almost looks like man coverage on KSU wideouts where the inside defender crashes down and the outside defender veers inside, leaving the far wideout open?  I can't see what's off screen but for fuck's sake it looks like simple man coverage principles would do better than letting them pass for 10+ yards unblocked.

This is an actual question, by the way.  I assume the theory is that safeties (off screen) on the back end will clean up, but I'm not seeing it.  I'll hang up and listen.

We’re coached by idiots. 

• Like 1

Back in the late '80s we played Rice and they would put three receivers on one side of the field.  We would cover them with two guys.  The whole game.  This was prior to Mackovic getting hired; McWilliams was the coach.  

I didn't understand that, either.

Seriously, what's the theory?  Is it just "keep everything in front of the safeties", which pretty much allows throws for 1st down probably 50% of the time?

I get the idea that Orlando likes to keep things in front of his defense until the red zone (although our guys get smoked multiple times, anyway).  I just don't see that the tradeoff is worth it.

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Back in the late '80s we played Rice and they would put three receivers on one side of the field.  We would cover them with two guys.  The whole game.  This was prior to Mackovic getting hired; McWilliams was the coach.  

I didn't understand that, either.

Maybe the bubble screen wasn't invented yet and they could just zone it up deep and short?

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

valid q -- i would like to isolate that play on video so we can have a look at the monstrous stupidity. The CB who has the WR out on the flank, the CB goes in on the blitz, the WR is completely open.  It's truly insane. A freakish WR like a Bama Jeudy could house that every single time given so much space. Good think KSU WRs are slow 2 stars.