We’re Going Bowling!

FORTY NINE TO ZERO

We've had tickets for the Texas Academy bowl since the beginning.   I went on record with my family that if Iowa State is the Big 12 invite I wasn't going.  Last years experience at the Alamodome with their fans was enough for me.  I guess if we get the invite I'll go, but I won't like it.

I would rather pass on a bowl game and get to hiring a new staff. They need as much time together as possible. Going to a bowl game would probably just mean that Herman will have his assistant idiots fucking up the kids that will be here next year for another 3 to 4 weeks. Fuck that.

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

she looks her age, which is 10 years older than me

So how then how the fuck were you in college Together?   Or by college, did you mean seminary?   And by girlfriend; you meant bishop?   

There's too many teams ahead of UNC that they'd get the 4th ACC slot, especially since ACC is only getting one team into the NY6/CFP mix.  

But that woulda been fun.  We'd have to kick in for a banner though that said, "Mack, it's not you...it's us."  

Camping World mix thusfar is from:  Louisville, Wake Forest, Florida State, Virginia, VA Tech, Pitt, and Miami.  Good news for Herman, I think we can take most of these teams, lousy as we are these days.  

Alamo Bowl mix is: Oregon (if they lose to Utah, maybe they can boot Herman like they booted Mack), Utah (should they lose out and not get picked up for NY6 at large), and USC.  I think we can take USC, Oregon or Utah beats the living shit out of us.  

Texas Bowl mix is "murky" at best:  Missouri, Auburn, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State (assuming they beat Ole Miss on Turkey Day).  If Longhorns end up in this bowl, you can assume they ain't facing us with Missouri for second time in three years.  SEC and A&M won't let the matchup happen (they'll blame it on us even though our bowl pecking order has some pretty tight structure to it, the SEC is wide open once you get passed the Citrus Bowl).  I doubt the SEC puts Kentucky or Tennessee all the way over here instead of an east coast bowl venue.  That really just leaves Auburn and Mississippi State, and the MSU probably falls to the Independence or Birmingham bowl mix. So I'm guessing if we end up in the Texas Bowl which is looking quite possible---it's Texas v. Auburn and we get the shit beat out of us.  

Edited by Lobo

On 11/25/2019 at 12:49 AM, orangecat92 said:

check this out:  http://theacc.com/sports/2019/4/24/FB_0424195142.aspx

There is a tiny chance we might go up against UNC in the Camping World Bowl.   How much fun would that be? 

That's what we need.

Let's give butter teeth a chance to beat our ass. So fun.

Image result for who is coach at unc football"

I see nothing good coming from a bowl game this season.  Assuming we lose to Tech, which is very likely, then we are 2-5 in our last seven games.  And the 2 wins could just as easily be losses.  There is nothing to play for and a loss in bowl game is both likely and further hurts the program.

Decline the bowl game - it's not deserved and continuing to practice under the current coaching staff is only further detrimental.  Clean house in the off-season, try to salvage recruiting, and go from there.

If we lose to Tech, we should decline a bowl invite because we could play UTSA and get beat by the Roadrunners in the Whatever Shit Bowl.

Tom has lost the lockeroom  and no telling how many would decide to sit out which seems to be a growing trend with those with NFL aspirations along with those who might go ahead and give the transfer portal a shot.  

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

This team is so checked out that they will get absolutely pantsed by any team in any bowl. Let this fucking season just die after the eyes on Friday.  

Yep.   If we lose to Tech, we'll be going into a bowl game at 6-6.  Which means if we lose in the bowl game, we will have a losing record.

There is absolutely no upside to going to a bowl with a .500 record in these circumstances.   True we went to a bowl with a 6-6 record, but the circumstances were much different such as we actually won two of our last three games and it was Mensa's first season and we showed some upsides even in the loses through the balance of the season save the Maryland debacle.  If we lose to Tech, we'd be going to the Whatever Shit Bowl with a three game losing streak, so the heck with chancing that.

56 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Im not so sure about that. 

Maybe a tad of BS  I threw out there.  But the way this team has played in the last two games, the only "W's" on our record to date we might still hang on to if we played those games again, might be Rice and La. Tech and they would probably be much tighter games.   

Mensa has lost this team and the fan base.   

Maybe a tad of BS  I threw out there.  But the way this team has played in the last two games, the only "W's" on our record to date we might still hang on to if we played those games again, might be Rice and La. Tech and they would probably be much tighter games.   
Mensa has lost this team and the fan base.   
I knew your point. That's why I didnt go full internet retard on bowl matchups.

However, going to a bowl game would get more practices in that would help the team hate dipshit more. So there is always that.
  • Like 1

WTF is all this talk about declining a bowl? That is more embarrassing to recruits than losing to some other shit team. For the underclassmen, it’s an extra 2-3 weeks of practice. In case you haven’t noticed, we need all the practice we can get on things like blocking, tackling, and special teams. 

Don’t be scared. If we suck, own it. If blue chips go elsewhere, fuck them. Hiding from a bowl matchup against USM, UTSA, CMU, whoever isn’t going to win them over either. The Baylors, Iowa States, Boises, etc. of the world manage to compete with average talent when they have good coaching. Don’t ever be scared. 

I recall Notre Dame refused a bowl invite when Charlie Weiss was fired.   They were 6-6.

Going to a bowl game at 6-6 will do this program no good.   You will not hear one thing positive leading up to the game and during the game.  All you will hear is Texas was expecting to be playing in one of the New Year's Day bowls and had a real chance to be in the playoff.   And then the list of problems from our inept play calling to our defense would be cited over and over again as a reason we are playing in the Whatever Shit Bowl.     In fact it might do more harm than good with what recruits we are able to retain during the next few weeks leading up the dead period and then in January when final decisions are made.

If we lose to Tech,  Mensa should follow up the following week with his staff shake ups and start the rebuild instead of two or three more weeks of extra reps under coordinators and other staff who hopefully not be there when spring ball starts.  Or at least shouldn't be there in their current capacities.

16 hours ago, XYZ said:

If we lose to Tech, I hope CDC declines a bowl invitation.

Nope because he is the one that extended Herman’s contract for winning the Sugar Bowl.  Don’t get why a school like with Texas with so much money acts like a bunch of cunts afraid they may lose their coach to another school.   If this shit show goes further down hill because of this, CDC is responsible and needs to go too.

I always love the "we should refuse a bowl" talk if we lose. Yeah, those seniors who will never suit up for Texas again sure would love to ride off into the sunset with a loss to Tech in a 2/3 full DKR on a cold, post Turkey Day instead of a bowl game where they get more time with their teammates. If we get a bowl invite, we're going. No one will force you to watch it. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Nope because he is the one that extended Herman’s contract for winning the Sugar Bowl.  Don’t get why a school like with Texas with so much money acts like a bunch of cunts afraid they may lose their coach to another school.   If this shit show goes further down hill because of this, CDC is responsible and needs to go too.

I agree.  Most business don't hand out bonuses or extend contracts right out of the gate based on immediate performance.   They might throw the employee a bone or two,  but not big pay increases, bonuses or other high dollar incentives.   They will wait to see if the employee has medium to long term promise and then start throwing those incentives at him/her.   Why in the football world this has to be different is beyond comprehension.    Three to four years should be the evaluation period and we should be in a position to dictate when the rewards are handed out.  And would be coaches who take the job at UT (and this goes for any other top tier money program) should know if they perform well after that three years, they will get compensated nicely and then the sky is the limit as long as the performance is there.   

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I always love the "we should refuse a bowl" talk if we lose. Yeah, those seniors who will never suit up for Texas again sure would love to ride off into the sunset with a loss to Tech in a 2/3 full DKR on a cold, post Turkey Day instead of a bowl game where they get more time with their teammates. If we get a bowl invite, we're going. No one will force you to watch it. 

Most of this team checked out a couple of weeks ago including the seniors.   Think about going from thinking you were going to possibly play in the playoff or at least the Sugar Bowl to the Whatever Shit Bowl.    The letdown is already obvious and going to a bowl and then losing that game will be insult to injury.  

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Most of this team checked out a couple of weeks ago including the seniors.   Think about going from thinking you were going to possibly play in the playoff or at least the Sugar Bowl to the Whatever Shit Bowl.    The letdown is already obvious and going to a bowl and then losing that game will be insult to injury.  

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the latest $9.95 fan fiction you seem to. Duvernay and Jones are saying they'd play in any bowl and they think Collin Johnson will as well. And that's with Senior Bowl invites already accepted. So there's 3 seniors who don't seem to play to your narrative. 

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yes, declining bowl games is silly message board fan fiction.

Just now, mdmost said:

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the latest $9.95 fan fiction you seem to. Duvernay and Jones are saying they'd play in any bowl and they think Collin Johnson will as well. And that's with Senior Bowl invites already accepted. So there's 3 seniors who don't seem to play to your narrative. 

I'm not subscribing to anything the $9.95 er's.   It's what I'm seeing with my own eyes.    The meltdowns on the O-line and resulting unsportsmanlike stuff.    The looks of disgust on the players faces say it all when they are done with a 3 and out on offense or they lose their jocks on defense.   Mensa in his own press conferences trying to spin what we all see and others can chime in with other stuff, but it's evident this team has given up on the coaches.  

Projections:

ESPN-

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28146661/college-football-bowl-projections

Liberty Bowl vs Cincinnati

Texas Bowl vs Texas A&M

CBSSports-

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Camping World vs Notre Dame

(2 Big 12 in NY6 with OU in playoffs)

USAToday-

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/11/26/college-football-bowl-projections-utah-playoff-position/4305954002/

Liberty Bowl vs Kentucky

Athlon-

https://athlonsports.com/bowl-projections-2019

Alamo Bowl vs Oregon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Projections:

ESPN-

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28146661/college-football-bowl-projections

Liberty Bowl vs Cincinnati

Texas Bowl vs Texas A&M

CBSSports-

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Camping World vs Notre Dame

USAToday-

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/11/26/college-football-bowl-projections-utah-playoff-position/4305954002/

Liberty Bowl vs Kentucky

Athlon-

https://athlonsports.com/bowl-projections-2019

Alamo Bowl vs Oregon

aggy will not play us despite a good chance of beating us.   SEC won't chance it.

Playing KY sounds appropriate if you know what I mean.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If we lose to Tech, we should decline a bowl invite because we could play UTSA and get beat by the Roadrunners in the Whatever Shit Bowl.

TTU is 4-7, out of bowl contention, with nothing left to play for this season. They were handily beaten by 4-7 Arizona and 3-8 Kansas.

Losing to them in DKR on Senior Night would be a much worse loss than our losses to Iowa State/Baylor. Even with the dysfunction surrounding our program right now, this should be a game we can win on talent alone assuming our coaching isn't flat-out horrendous.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

TTU is 4-7, out of bowl contention, with nothing left to play for this season. They were handily beaten by 4-7 Arizona and 3-8 Kansas.

Losing to them in DKR on Senior Night would be a much worse loss than our losses to Iowa State/Baylor. Even with the dysfunction surrounding our program right now, this should be a game we can win on talent alone assuming our coaching isn't flat-out horrendous.

Agreed.  But they handled WVU on the road better than we did, so they are capable of beating us.  This team could literally lose to almost anyone.  

20 minutes ago, Pancho said:

🤮🤮🤮 that reads like a quote from the Onion.

That said, JFC, we're not declining a bowl game nor are we firing Herman after Tech.  We're Texas; we're going suffer through another year of shit, and end NEXT year 6-6 and THEN fire Herman, but we'll stretch it out into recruiting season to make sure we do maximum fuck up to the program first.  Then we'll settle for another "up and coming" coordinator or head coach of a smaller program.  We're Texas, we don't swing for the fences.  Maybe 40 years from now the stars will align again.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

ICYF,  we almost lost to the same Kansas team....  

And our coaching is flat out horrendous which makes this game a toss up.  

Just now, 4th&Five said:

a shitty bowl will actually cost them money if they can't sell tickets.

i'm guessing anyone with any shot of being drafted will skip whatever bowl we make.  we've seen the last of Collin Johnson in a UT uniform.

Well, the only guarantee is Collin Johnson. Duvernay said both he and Brandon Jones would be in the bowl game and they believed CJ would as well. And all 3 have Senior Bowl invites.