Memory Foam Mattresses

shnsajax

the cheap ones from amazon seem to be really inconsistent.  i finally ended up keeping the 3rd one i got but i'm not entirely satisfied with it - about 1 foot along one side is stiffer than the rest of it. 

first one was zinus and felt like just a couple inches of foam on top of hard floors.  i woke up with the back of my head aching it was so stiff.  the second two have been sleep innovations.  the middle of the first one was perfect but neither side was any good.  the second was mostly good and i ended up keeping it it was becoming such a hassle. 

probably should have gone to costco and gotten one there. 

We bought the mid-range foam at Costco. It was something like $750 on sale. Queen size. It was good quality. 14” thick. Unfortunately it was too firm for us. They have softer versions and cheaper versions. Costco pricing is good. They rated well on Consumer Reports too. We ended up with a thinner Tuft and Needle that wasn’t quite so firm for around $500. It’s been good, but I don’t know how long it will hold it’s shape.

I have one of the cheap ones from Amazon. “Green Tea” or something like that. I was skeptical and figured there’d be a good chance I’d return it but it’s been great. I love it. Had it about 2 years now. The return policy is pretty easy. You call Salvation Army and donate the mattress and they come pick it up. Then the company sends you a new one or a refund or whatever.  
Just checked my amazon account and it was the Zinus Green Tea mattress. Probably the same one elfenix thought was too firm. Mine’s pretty firm but I love it. I had back problems a couple years ago and firm definitely is better for that. My girlfriend hated it at first but now she loves it. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I have one of the cheap ones from Amazon. “Green Tea” or something like that. I was skeptical and figured there’d be a good chance I’d return it but it’s been great. I love it. Had it about 2 years now. The return policy is pretty easy. You call Salvation Army and donate the mattress and they come pick it up. Then the company sends you a new one or a refund or whatever.  
Just checked my amazon account and it was the Zinus Green Tea mattress. Probably the same one elfenix thought was too firm. Mine’s pretty firm but I love it. I had back problems a couple years ago and firm definitely is better for that. My girlfriend hated it at first but now she loves it. 

I got the same one because it was 290 bucks and I was in the process of an out of state move. I just wanted the thing on my porch when I moved in to use for a year or so and then get something nicer, but I absolutely love the thing. It is firm. Like firm enough to hurt my hip if I stay motionless for too long, but it's the best mattress I've had. I came from memory foam, so I knew I wanted that, but I didn't know it was going to blow away my more expensive one I previously had. 

14 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

We got a hybrid (foam & spring) from Brooklyn Bedding a couple years ago and are pleased.  Same sort of long trial and return policy.  Delivered to your door in a box.

Same.  Hybrid memory foam over spring for us.  Denver Mattress brand.  Felt amazing in the store compared to Tempurpedic.  We are 5 years in, and it's the best mattress ever for us.

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

easy return policy

yup.

not that amazon's is difficult.  as mentioned above, they don't get returned, just refunded.  salvation army picked up both the ones i returned.  call to do a return - the automated return system doesn't know that mattresses don't actually get returned and so will send a UPS guy out to you.  which is ok if the UPS guy shows up when you're home, because for some reason the pick up needs to be attended.

Edited by elfenix

I bought one of the costco ones 3 years ago and am still happy with it.  It gets a bit less firm - I need to flip it again.  Also fwiw, buying from the store was easy.  I needed a bed, drove over to costco, walked over to where they have them in boxes with wheels, rolled it to the cashier, back in my truck in 10 minutes.

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

yup.

not that amazon's is difficult.  as mentioned above, they don't get returned, just refunded.  salvation army picked up both the ones i returned.  call to do a return - the automated return system doesn't know that mattresses don't actually get returned and so will send a UPS guy out to you.  which is ok if the UPS guy shows up when you're home, because for some reason the pick up needs to be attended.

All Amazon pick up returns say someone has to be home. You can just leave a note telling them it's ok to take it, so you don't have to be there. Same with FedEx if you have something that says you have to be present for a pickup. Sorry to derail, but that's something I didn't know for a while and it makes returns a lot easier after I was told that. 

Just a heads up, another metric for mattresses that is often overlooked is the differences during intimacy.  Springiness and firmness around the edges make a difference.  You might google "best mattresses for sex" before you make your final decision.  One of the reasons we went with a hybrid.

insert "your wife" joke here . . . 

Edited by Jerry Callo

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

All Amazon pick up returns say someone has to be home. You can just leave a note telling them it's ok to take it, so you don't have to be there. Same with FedEx if you have something that says you have to be present for a pickup. Sorry to derail, but that's something I didn't know for a while and it makes returns a lot easier after I was told that. 

that doesn't always work. 

Went to Texas Mattress Makers down on Navigation NE of downtown Houston, tried a bunch of different types out and get a good deal on a memory foam. Go down, tour the warehouse, try the different types of mattresses (foam, gel foam, hybrid, latex, etc) then go to Ninfa's for lunch. Win/Win.

2 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

No? Always has for me. 

my UPS guy would not pick up the mattress even with instructions taped to it, which was a problem because i'd left town and so a giant box was sitting in front of my apartment for a week.

i ended up yelling at UPS and amazon both.  UPS because i'd missed one driver while putting the dog out for 10 minutes (and UPS can't be bothered to give you an estimate of when they'll be there, apparently coordinating GPS tracking and the driver's route is too hard to do), amazon for requiring that pick ups be attended. 

Edited by elfenix

Purple is pretty much the only exception to this one basic rule:

It's all the same technology. It's been the same since the 50s, just marketed under different names.

You do want to pay more than the discount brands charge, but only because you're paying for quality control at the warehouse -- otherwise? Pick your comfort level, and they'll all be pretty much the same. Wayfair or Costco are probably your best bets, because they sell the same exact material under what amounts to a generic label. But don't go for the cheaper end; mid-range price at minimum, or you'll end up with a crumbly mess in a couple of years.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:07 AM, RollLeft said:

Anyone opt for Purple? Good mattress or just good advertising?

The wife and I played 'online mattress roulette' for about a year. Tried and returned Casper, Leesa, Tuft & Needle, and Bed in a Box. They all felt relatively the same, and were too firm for the wife's liking. I like it somewhat firm to sleep on my back, but I also like to occasionally roll on my side, and for that, they were no good.

Then we got a Purple 3. Yes it was a good bit more expensive, but worth it if you ask me. As mentioned above, it's the only one out of all these online marketed mattresses that does something actually different than the standard memory foams. Yes that elastic grid stuff on the top layer feels a little odd at first, but after laying on it for about 10 minutes, I didn't even notice it, and haven't thought about it since. What's nice about it is the way that elastic grid is designed, it's firm when you lay flat on your back, but then allows for shoulders and hips to sink in when you turn on your side. We love it.

We just ordered a Stearns & Foster Hurston Luxury Firm in the never ending quest to find a bed I can sleep comfortably on my side on.  I think this one is gonna be a winner though based on how it felt in the store and the reviews I've read.

Edited by kevwun

I put two of those cheap Amazon ones in our guest bedrooms and they get rave reviews. My parents slept on it once and bought one for home. I think they are more comfortable than our Casper, which I think is a little too firm. The Casper has developed depressions over the years too. Wife loves it though.

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, kevwun said:

We just ordered a Stearns & Foster Hurston Luxury Firm in the never ending quest to find a bed I can sleep comfortably on my side on.  I think this one is gonna be a winner though based on how it felt in the store and the reviews I've read.

How do you like the Hurston? I tried out a mattresses at four places over three weeks and that one made my shortlist. It is down to the Purple 4, the Serta 500, and the Hurston. I need a firm mattress but with enough plush to sleep on my side. I would say I sleep equally 33% on each side and 33% on my back. My lower and upper back have aching every morning for a month now.

• 1 month later...

Had a Casper and returned it.  Same with Leesa, but we gave that one away.  Both were hot and uncomfortable, so we went back to a spring mattress and decided to spend our way out of the problem.  We got in on one of those Slickdeals US Mattress sales that happens every Christmas and bought a Stearns & Foster in the mid level of firmness with all the fancy padding and shit.  Cost a fortune even with the deal. It was fine - I never really thought about it except when I bitched about how much it cost. 

When we moved to Houston we decided to swap to a king from a queen.  Inlaws had one in their guest room - a Tempurpedic they used for a week and hated, so we took it over to try to see if we liked a king before we bought.  2 years later we still love it.  Best mattress I've ever slept on - although it does get a bit hot in the summer. 

Before the Tempurpedic I would have told you foam just isn't for me.  But it's just a different thing from the Casper and Leesa. 

So I think you just gotta try them.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:50 AM, Stunns38 said:

What’s your opinion on memory foam pillows? We have a tempurpedic adjustable bed but I can’t seem to get better. My pillows are shit though. I’m mostly a side sleeper.

Saw this on Costco.com
https://www.costco.com/.product.100495653.html?&EMID=B2C_2020_0329_HotBuys_Ends

Thanks

i have one like that and it's fine. i like that it doesn't lose all the support from the middle.  i like a fairly thicc and supportive pillow (side and back sleeper), can't stand down pillows that flatten down to nothing and poof out around your ears when you lay on them.  this works for that. 

On 3/29/2020 at 11:50 AM, Stunns38 said:

What’s your opinion on memory foam pillows? We have a tempurpedic adjustable bed but I can’t seem to get better. My pillows are shit though. I’m mostly a side sleeper.

Saw this on Costco.com
https://www.costco.com/.product.100495653.html?&EMID=B2C_2020_0329_HotBuys_Ends

Thanks

Just got me one of these pillows, works well. Good for back and side sleeping:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHC9FG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking to get a purple next. Have had a regular 12" memory foam off Amazon for 7 years now and it's still good. Might not last well for heavier people though. 
Been good though, my wife and mistresses don't complain

I thought you said it wasn’t good for heavier people.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:40 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Purple mattress fan here.  Cooler, for sure.  Less movement when one of us is having a restless sleep night.  Sadly -- there's no more sex happening on the Purple than on the prior mattress.

This. significantly cooler than a standard matress.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:50 AM, Gator Dave said:

Then we got a Purple 3. Yes it was a good bit more expensive, but worth it if you ask me. As mentioned above, it's the only one out of all these online marketed mattresses that does something actually different than the standard memory foams. Yes that elastic grid stuff on the top layer feels a little odd at first, but after laying on it for about 10 minutes, I didn't even notice it, and haven't thought about it since. What's nice about it is the way that elastic grid is designed, it's firm when you lay flat on your back, but then allows for shoulders and hips to sink in when you turn on your side. We love it.

And this. The wife and I love our Purple 3. 

• 7 months later...