End of game-KSU

Bateshorn

Man they really weren’t about to let the game be in the hands of the kick coverage team. Hate to leave the game in the hands of one chance at a kick (botched snap etc) but they ran out the clock nicely on that drive. Killing 6+ minutes and giving the other team no chance is usually what they do to us.

33 minutes ago, bullet said:

You take the 7 point lead.  And you have the kicker kick it out of bounds, giving it to them at the 35.

Wrong. And watch the 1st and 2nd down plays again. Sam was looking for a spot to fall down at. His eyes were not up. He was looking to down the ball by going forward. 

• Like 1

Anybody saying they would rather K State have the ball down 7 with 1:40 remaining rather than a chip shot to win is crazy. The way we played it guaranteed that Texas would never lose in regulation. Any other option leaves losing in regulation as a possibility. And Bama and LSU have shitty kickers. We don’t. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Watch Herman's reaction dumb fuck. He is fine with it and tells some dude moping to shut the fuck up. He probably made it happen so he could appease his team and keep the locker room bought in during a difficult time AND also get the scenario he wanted.

Lulz. So you're saying he schemed to torpedo the play so that he could appear to support the team? So he secretly told one of the players to line up in the backfield but don't tell the other players? Are you that fucking stupid even after he admitted they got lucky with the illegal formation?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Lulz. So you're saying he schemed to torpedo the play so that he could appear to support the team? So he secretly told one of the players to line up in the backfield but don't tell the other players? Are you that fucking stupid even after he admitted they got lucky with the illegal formation?

Crash is dumb to think we were trying to score on 1st and 2nd down. But he’s right that the penalty was NOT intentional. The penalty gained us nothing. 

I can however give a possible explanation for Herman’s reaction. It’s been reported that Herman initially wanted to kneel again on 3rd down but that Sam lobbied for getting the TD and Herman begrudgingly approved. I don’t know if that story is true but it would explain Herman’s reaction. He wanted to kneel on 3rd so the penalty essentially brings them back to Herman’s plan A. But there is no way he planned to get a penalty. That is just asinine. 

Already been said up thread, but intentional penalty makes no sense. What if it wasn't called? Unlikely, but that's a risk if it's your strategy.

Take a knee on first and second to force them to use timeouts and then run clock. On third, if a td is there and obvious, take it instead of risking the kick. It was there, but we screwed up execution, so it went back to relying on the kick as the safest path.

Everything else is some tinfoil hat speculation. The most obvious answer is usually the right one. We went for a td after burning as much clock as we could, messed up the formation, and went back to playing for a kick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Irieguy said:

I can however give a possible explanation for Herman’s reaction. It’s been reported that Herman initially wanted to kneel again on 3rd down but that Sam lobbied for getting the TD and Herman begrudgingly approved. I don’t know if that story is true but it would explain Herman’s reaction. He wanted to kneel on 3rd so the penalty essentially brings them back to Herman’s plan A. But there is no way he planned to get a penalty. That is just asinine. 

Yeah this is the most likely explanation. Penalty just happened to work out. I'm glad it played out the way it did.

Unless he got them to unknowingly line up in an illegal formation. That'd be next level mensaing.

4 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Anybody saying they would rather K State have the ball down 7 with 1:40 remaining rather than a chip shot to win is crazy. The way we played it guaranteed that Texas would never lose in regulation. Any other option leaves losing in regulation as a possibility. And Bama and LSU have shitty kickers. We don’t. 

The best kicker in college football missed a 26 yarder in OT that would have won Georgia's game vs. South Carolina.  

You want the TD with about 3 seconds left.

46 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Well yes, but that wasn’t possible. A td on 3rd down would have left them 40 seconds or so.

Exactly. Some of our fans are just so limited when it comes to football knowledge. Bullet you don’t know what you are talking about here. 

12 hours ago, Longhorn said:

If they declined penalty, Texas has TD and KSU gets ball with 39 seconds left. Not sure how good their kick returner is, but might have been worth the gamble.

Ah, well let me tell you how good he is.....he housed one on us earlier in the game so I’d say he’s pretty damn good

We were incredibly lucky that we lined up in an illegal formation, that it was called, and that KSU accepted the penalty.

Any suggestion that scoring a TD and giving the ball back to KSU with the opportunity to tie / take the lead vs. kicking a 25 yard field goal as time expires for the win in pure stupidity.

I can’t believe that anyone would even suggest that the TD was a good idea.

2 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

We were incredibly lucky that we lined up in an illegal formation, that it was called, and that KSU accepted the penalty.

Any suggestion that scoring a TD and giving the ball back to KSU with the opportunity to tie / take the lead vs. kicking a 25 yard field goal as time expires for the win in pure stupidity.

I can’t believe that anyone would even suggest that the TD was a good idea.

They had to accept the penalty, because we scored a TD, and had run off all by 38 seconds. It was a better call at that point to make us kick the FG, instead of being down 7 points and getting the ball back with no TOs and under 40 seconds.