80's Movies

NoRagrets

19 hours ago, South Austin said:

Real Genuis is one of the quintessential 80s movies, from the styles, to the music, to the underlying theses of the decade’s Cold War arms race, amplified by playing Everybody Wants To Rule The World at the end.  And an endless supply of quotes for Surly posts.

Considering the type of people you are and the environment you're in, you have to admit the strong possibility this may be the only chance you ever have in your entire lives to have sex.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2018 at 9:08 AM, South Austin said:

I noticed the Costner flavor as well.  The thing about Costner, he's made a lot of pure crap, movies I just can't stand.  But he's also made some of my favorite films, such as Bull Durham (my favorite sports movie of all time), Field of Dreams, Fandango, Dances with Wolves (yeah it's good, come after me bro), A Perfect World.  And No Way Out is an incredibly underrated political thriller.  I'll watch that any time it's on.

Can't forget Tin Cup. Have you ever been to Amarillo?

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Oh and has anyone said "Ladyhawke" yet? Because Ladyhawke.

" I know I promised, Lord, never again. But I also know that YOU know what a weak-willed person I am."

Broderick laying the charm on thick in this one.

I think even better than Ladyhawke was Flesh and Blood, 1985 or so, because a naked Jennifer Jason Leigh was a main character.

Maybe the best decade for rewatchable and pop culture important movies.

It might be. It is definitely the worst decade (at the time at least) for all-time top 100 type classic movies. The 60s and 70s were amazing, but Spielberg destroyed all that momentum. We went from auteurs to blockbusters. Tarantino helped reverse the trend for a while, but art doesn’t stand much of a chance vs money in a city like Hollywood.
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 8:03 AM, Go Pokes said:

It might be. It is definitely the worst decade (at the time at least) for all-time top 100 type classic movies. The 60s and 70s were amazing, but Spielberg destroyed all that momentum. We went from auteurs to blockbusters. Tarantino helped reverse the trend for a while, but art doesn’t stand much of a chance vs money in a city like Hollywood.

That's why I stopped bothering with anything made in Hollywood for a while.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:05 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't seen these mentioned yet:

Gremlins

My Science Project

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Inner Space

Gremlins 2 was the true classic. Took the original and exaggerated it in the best possible way. And the story behind it is amazing.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/gremlins/233074/why-gremlins-2-is-better-than-the-original e.g.

"As the movie industry continues to build their entire calendar around sequels, prequels, and even side-quels, Dante found himself in a rare position by the time he shot the second Gremlins movie in 1989: he had complete creative control over a sequel he had no interest in making."

It's a fourth-wall-shattering self-parody of the highest order. It's what Dilbert's Wally would dream up if he were a filmmaker. It's a real-live Bialystock and Bloom production.

LEGEND (1985)
Perfect for a cold wet Sunday afternoon - Ridley Scott directing unicorns, nubile Mia Sara, with Tim Curry and his voice.
My only criticisms - the Cruise factor and too much gossamer shit in the air early on.

The Tangerine Dream soundtrack was fucking awesome to get wasted to, back in the day.