80's Movies

NoRagrets

On 12/6/2018 at 5:30 PM, AUinHsv said:

Excalibur was very good.  Old school style - they had to learn to swing swords while wearing armor. No many special effects for the battles

Not to mention a raven plucking an eyeball from the skull of a corpse and swallowing it.  It's hard to stop watching this film if one surfs into it.  The voice of Nigel Terry (Arthur) doesn't sit well for some reason but you like soft focus and tons if gleaming armor, you'll love Excalibur.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 12:52 PM, Rimbo said:

Well, I think it was really the rise of the art house cinema in the 1970s. Then Jaws and Star Wars showed that the artsy stuff could be insanely profitable, so studios were willing to jump onto novel ideas because the novelty had shown itself to be profitable. You saw a pale imitation of that happen in the 1990s after Clerks and Blair Witch made it big.

I think it follows a generational thing. The 1970s were when the Boomers were getting of age. 1990s, Generation X. Now that the Millennials are getting old enough, maybe we'll see that. But I think it'll more likely be a YouTube series or channel than a movie. Movies themselves are kinda... old-fashioned.

The 80s also saw the explosion of home video. How many of us had VCRs in 1980 compared to 1989? See a great flick in the theater (or miss it) and then watch a year later on video.

Malibu Express is one of my favorites.

1 hour ago, Anwar Namtut said:

The 80s also saw the explosion of home video. How many of us had VCRs in 1980 compared to 1989? See a great flick in the theater (or miss it) and then watch a year later on video.

Malibu Express is one of my favorites.

Yeah, but remember, until Top Gun had that Pepsi ad at the front of it, those home copies would run you $70 per movie.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:59 AM, Papa Johnny Road said:

Some of my faves that I remember watching with my parents or on HBO when I stayed with my grandparents: 

Stand By Me

Big

Just One Of the Guys

Ferris Bueller

White Water Summer

The Goonies

Spies Like Us

Rad

Porky’s

Bachelor Party

They Live

Commando

Cobra

Raising Arizona

Short Circuit

Monster Squad

Weekend at Bernie’s

Coming to America

Three O’Clock High

Police Academy 

Adventures In Babysitting 

Mannequin 

Back to the Future

Secret of My Success

Fletch

Legend of Billie Jean

Licenses to Drive

The Gate

Good Morning Vietnam

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

One Crazy Summer

First list on 80's movies thread doesn't list Road Warrior is a fail.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Rimbo said:

My son saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan this weekend. He cried when Spock died. And after thinking about it, I realized it's really the only Star Trek movie that's a must-watch. The rest are all only okay.

I still think Undiscovered Country is criminally underrated,  Part of the "Even Numbered Star Trek curse" but overlooked because of Voyage Home for some reason.

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

I still think Undiscovered Country is criminally underrated,  Part of the "Even Numbered Star Trek curse" but overlooked because of Voyage Home for some reason.

There was no "even numbered Star Trek" curse. There was Nicolas Meyer, who wrote, directed, or both II, IV and VI, and was otherwise uninvolved with the rest. 

I found Undiscovered Country to be facile and bad even when I was young and it was new. Bad pacing, silly story, just some really cringe-worthy moments, including the superficial "message" at the end.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Damn, okay. I'll just agree to disagree then.  Obviously Wrath is the tops, but I loved 6.  I also like the first reboot movie too.  So we all have different tastes.

I liked the first two reboot movies! Haven't seen the third one yet.

Also, the Director's Cut of the first movie is actually a decent film. All the pacing problems of the original are fixed.

The second TNG film was fun, too, even though it pissed all over what the Borg were meant to be by giving them a "queen." It yet again proved that Patrick Stewart's greatness lies in his ability to make the most stunningly idiotic scripts believable and intense.

But overall, II is the only one that I really think is a must-see.

Blood Simple, the Coens debut (1984).  Awesomely small and so fucking good.  Frances Macdormand as the horny wife of a mean, grumpy ass older guy (Dan Hedaya) who owns a bar and hires a salty old whiny asshole of a private eye (M. Emmett Walsh) to kill her.  Enter her dumbass boyfriend who wants in the bar safe and all unravels.  Heads are bashed.  Bodies are buried, but.  Snipers snipe.  Exquisite.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/5/2018 at 7:10 PM, Underdog said:

Big fan of Dragonslayer

Can’t think of the movie’s name, had the two Corey’s in it, one of them banging the hot chick from Charles in Charge. 

Necrobump.  Just finished showing this on MOVIES channel.  Where else can you find a half-Disney movie that has man butt nudity and a dismembered princess?

I'd really like to see WETA or somebody as such get ahold of this one and remake it.

Can’t think of the movie’s name, had the two Corey’s in it, one of them banging the hot chick from Charles in Charge. 

Not sure what movie you're thinking about.  License to Drive was Heather Graham.  The Lost Boys was Jami Gertz.  There was also Dream A Little Dream, but I think that was Meredith Salenger.  Those were the only 3 80's movies that both were in.  The only movie I recall that had Alyssa Milano getting banged was Embrace of the Vampire, but neither of them were in it AND it was a 90's movie.

6 hours ago, freyguy said:

Necrobump.  Just finished showing this on MOVIES channel.  Where else can you find a half-Disney movie that has man butt nudity and a dismembered princess?

I'd really like to see WETA or somebody as such get ahold of this one and remake it.

I wasn't allowed to watch anything with sex or violence growing up.  The first PG13 movie I ever saw was Dreamscape and it scared the everliving crap out of me.  

Anyway, one night I'm spending the night at a friend's house and Dragonslayer comes on.  Pretty cool movie until the scene with the dragon eating a princess.  I - literally - had nightmares for weeks.  Until that moment, I think the scariest thing I ever saw was a Stormtrooper getting shot with a laser.

8 hours ago, freyguy said:

Don’t remember the man butt, only the side boob in the lake when he discovered He as a She, was surprised Disney allowed that in the movie. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not sure what movie you're thinking about.  License to Drive was Heather Graham.  The Lost Boys was Jami Gertz.  There was also Dream A Little Dream, but I think that was Meredith Salenger.  Those were the only 3 80's movies that both were in.  The only movie I recall that had Alyssa Milano getting banged was Embrace of the Vampire, but neither of them were in it AND it was a 90's movie.

Blown Away -1993.  Don’t know why I ever thought it was an 80s movie. 

I can't take this thread seriously until we start talking The Lost Boys.The two Coreys. Jami Gertz in her prime. Kiefer Sutherland "living in his car" and being a vampire. Dianne Wiest as the clueless mom. A Jim Morrison cave shrine. There's something for everyone. It's the best bad movie of the 80's.

I nominate Back to the Future I as the best 80's movie. 

• Like 1