Doubter’s crow. Tastes like chicken.

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

If you would have asked me if this team could come back from an immediate 14-0 deficit I would laughed in your face then punched it for asking such a stupid question.
I thought for sure the wheels were going to come off and did not think this team had the ability (desire maybe?) to grind out a come from behind win like that.
So serve up the crow, I’m hungry.
I had my kids birthday party last night and only got to watch until it was 14-0. Expected to come home and see we'd been blown out...it really looked like the wheels were coming off.

Nice surprise to see the score when we got home, and enjoyed watching the second half to see how the hell it happened.

Still a ton of problems to fix, but I honestly didn't think this team had fighting back from 14 down in them at this point in this season.

I was at the game with wife and 4 kids, trying to give them some inkling about how fun Texas football can be. Then we’re belching our way to a 14-0 deficit with maybe 70,000 in attendance. Yeah, there wasn’t a person on the west side of that stadium that had any confidence. Glad to see it turn around though, and the kids had fun and got to experience a win, which is nice. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was at the game with wife and 4 kids, trying to give them some inkling about how fun Texas football can be. Then we’re belching our way to a 14-0 deficit with maybe 70,000 in attendance. Yeah, there wasn’t a person on the west side of that stadium that had any confidence. Glad to see it turn around though, and the kids had fun and got to experience a win, which is nice. 

I couldn't tell from the broadcast but were there big blank spots in the stadium? 

We squeaked by a mediocre team at home.  Both the ISU and Baylor games will be much harder to win and most likely we go 8-4 or worse.  I'm proud of Tom though for performing about as well as most non-hoopleheads expected heading into this season and next year should be the year where we have a real chance of competing for a Big 12 championship. 

Edited by Fozzz

Yesterday was the perfect example of why you can never count on a good team always playing good or a shitty team always playing shitty.  18-22 year old kids are so full of drama and emotional highs and lows, you just never know what the fuck they're gonna do.   Preseason predictions and even gameday predictions are nothing more than pure guesswork, hopes, and dreams.   There is nothing in life more delusional and gullible than a college football board in August.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I couldn't tell from the broadcast but were there big blank spots in the stadium? 

only empty spot i saw on TV was a section in the student section because i'm assuming DKR is still the only stadium in the country where staff can't get the students in on time.

i didn't think the stadium was that empty. there were blotches of empty seats in every section but i thought it was relatively full for a weird and disappointing season to date.

we were down because the dbs blew coverages and didn't know how to play man or zone and our blitzes were predictable as shit. credit kstate, they made plays.

first td was just a blown ass assignment and piss poor open field tackling. the receiver was wide fucking open.  looked like he was the only one on that side of the field. and then jones (i think) totally whiffed on the tackle.

the second td, we just sucked at playing zone or man or whatever. receivers were wide fucking open on every third down play. that can prob be said for the whole season. i felt bad for coburn because he absolutely owned the line of scrimmage. too bad for him the dbs were lost as fuck.

but credit to Orlando because the d seemed to fix their shit in the second half. however, we still suck at defending the WR screen. they were consistently picking up 8-10 yard every time they screened out wide. that is an effort and angle issue by the dbs. i have no idea why kstate didn't keep shoving that down play down our throats.

we should've won by more.

sam made some fucking amazing throws. and then he made some incredibly poor reads and didn't see wide open receivers. he has to get more consistent in progressing through his reads. the int was just a piss poor read and lazy ass throw.

i was going to be apeshit pissed if we held kstate to absolutely nothing on the ground and still lost. the dline owned kstates run game.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

At 14-0 my only thought was "how bad can this get."  

But everyone started playing better and Skylar's throws became suddenly very bad.  It spilled over into the 3rd quarter and we began to look the September team again.  

Whomever took over call the D at halftime, thank you.

I will eat crow now rather than the shit of the last 5 games.

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i didn't think the stadium was that empty. there were blotches of empty seats in every section but i thought it was relatively full for a weird and disappointing season to date.

we were down because the dbs blew coverages and didn't know how to play man or zone and our blitzes were predictable as shit. credit kstate, they made plays.

first td was just a blown ass assignment and piss poor open field tackling. the receiver was wide fucking open.  looked like he was the only one on that side of the field. and then jones (i think) totally whiffed on the tackle.

the second td, we just sucked at playing zone or man or whatever. receivers were wide fucking open on every third down play. that can prob be said for the whole season. i felt bad for coburn because he absolutely owned the line of scrimmage. too bad for him the dbs were lost as fuck.

but credit to Orlando because the d seemed to fix their shit in the second half. however, we still suck at defending the WR screen. they were consistently picking up 8-10 yard every time they screened out wide. that is an effort and angle issue by the dbs. i have no idea why kstate didn't keep shoving that down play down our throats.

sam made some fucking amazing throws. and then he made some incredibly poor reads and didn't see wide open receivers. he has to get more consistent in progressing through his reads. the int was just a piss poor read and lazy ass throw.

i was going to be apeshit pissed if we held kstate to absolutely nothing on the ground and still lost. the dline owned kstates run game.

I get the first reaction of blown coverage but I am unsure who to blame. If you watch the DBs, they are clearly still deciding who is going where within seconds of the snap, on multiple occasions.

Somewhere, the coaches intent and the players understanding is in severe breakdown mode.

Blown coverage as an isolated incident is on the players, for sure. But, the consistent issue, every game, points towards the coaches imo. Washington and/or Orlando.

Just now, pacman said:

I get the first reaction of blown coverage but I am unsure who to blame. If you watch the DBs, they are clearly still deciding who is going where within seconds of the snap, on multiple occasions.

Somewhere, the coaches intent and the players understanding is in severe breakdown mode.

Blown coverage as an isolated incident is on the players, for sure. But, the consistent issue, every game, points towards the coaches imo. Washington and/or Orlando.

i think everyone agrees that the coaching staff is less than stellar. we don't know how much of the shittiness is due to injury to the dbs and how much is coaching. but yea, over halfway into the season and we are still making mental and schematic mistakes is beyond frustrating.

42 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

At 14-0 I think the wheels did come off but then went back on.  I still can't fathom that KState beat OU.  It's one of those situations that can only be explained by "a wizard did it."

Ou isn’t very good either. Did you watch that Texas ou game? We out shityed them. It was two ugly teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Yesterday was the perfect example of why you can never count on a good team always playing good or a shitty team always playing shitty.  18-22 year old kids are so full of drama and emotional highs and lows, you just never know what the fuck they're gonna do.   Preseason predictions and even gameday predictions are nothing more than pure guesswork, hopes, and dreams.   There is nothing in life more delusional and gullible than a college football board in August.  

Sort of tangential, but I cannot imagine having my livelihood dependent on my ability to motivate and coerce 80-ish 18-22 year olds to work together towards a shared, common goal.  Guess all your competition is in the same boat, but still.  I’d be snorting coke and popping Xanax in about equal measure.

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I had my kids birthday party last night and only got to watch until it was 14-0. Expected to come home and see we'd been blown out...it really looked like the wheels were coming off.

Nice surprise to see the score when we got home, and enjoyed watching the second half to see how the hell it happened.

Still a ton of problems to fix, but I honestly didn't think this team had fighting back from 14 down in them at this point in this season.

Have all of you just become Texas fans this season?  Have none of you seen Sam Ehrlinger play?

We've got a bunch of people here who aren't just glass half empty type people.  You will argue that its really more like 90% empty.

There are lots of problems, but giving up is not part of this team.

34 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

IDK, but the DBs changing from 10yds off the WR, to a press coverage was on point. Whoever the fuck made that adjustment, please stand up. 

Maybe the coaches were watching TV.  The announcers were complaining about that the whole first half.

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

At 14-0 my only thought was "how bad can this get."  

But everyone started playing better and Skylar's throws became suddenly very bad.  It spilled over into the 3rd quarter and we began to look the September team again.  

At 14-0 I said to Bernard "we're about to get blown out."  

The defense allowed a total of 3 points after that.  K-State missed a few easy ones, but the defense definitely stepped up and played much better.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Sort of tangential, but I cannot imagine having my livelihood dependent on my ability to motivate and coerce 80-ish 18-22 year olds to work together towards a shared, common goal.  Guess all your competition is in the same boat, but still.  I’d be snorting coke and popping Xanax in about equal measure.

Mike Leach calls out his team

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

only empty spot i saw on TV was a section in the student section because i'm assuming DKR is still the only stadium in the country where staff can't get the students in on time.

Where I was sitting - Section 19 - there were still tons of stupid fucks trying to find their seats during the 2nd quarter.  

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The expensive seats on the west side were maybe 60% full. The rest of the stadium was pretty full except for the student section

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Fail.  You send your least favorite kid to take out TO.  Send third favorite to take over defense play calling duties.   

Hierarchy:  least favorite  is now a hero. 

Third in line is D coordinator for UT!!!!

Favorite,  yeah favorite will always be your favorite. 

And 10 - 1 you have trouble remembering number 2's name. 

We are a mediocre team.  Occasionally, we will play well and go toe to toe with, or even beat, top teams.  Occasionally, we will look like dogshit and lose to teams we have absolutely no business losing to.  More often than not, we'll do what mediocre teams tend to do: make one good play, and then step on our dicks the next.  We won't get blown out that often, but we'll make games way closer than we need to.

That tends to be Herman's MO as head coach.  That's who we are.  Maybe we'll change.  We'll see.  

I suspect I wasn't the only one with a dour expression at 0-14. I'm an optimist, and normally would have thought "we can come back," but not yesterday. We were playing a team that beat OU. And OU isn't as bad as some want to paint it. Maybe the Horns found something that will take them through bowl season. I just wish they'd start finding that something earlier in the year.

We were coming back against LSU - and a shitty onside kick ended that comeback. Same with OU. Special teams continue to hurt us, but now I''m starting to think that even they might have found something yesterday. In taking back control of that game, the Horns were magnificent. Hook 'em!

Have all of you just become Texas fans this season?  Have none of you seen Sam Ehrlinger play?
We've got a bunch of people here who aren't just glass half empty type people.  You will argue that its really more like 90% empty.
There are lots of problems, but giving up is not part of this team.

Sam definitely won't stop trying, but that can be good or bad. Eventually if we're not moving the ball, he'll start throwing passes that aren't there and that turns into a tcu type game. I don't really blame him for trying when nothing else is working, but it doesn't win games.

I think your larger point is that our team under Herman hasn't really suffered blowouts, which is true. I actually don't know our largest margin of loss under him, but feels like we usually lose by

1 hour ago, Poolflood said:

Fail.  You send your least favorite kid to take out TO.  Send third favorite to take over defense play calling duties.   

Hierarchy:  least favorite  is now a hero. 

Third in line is D coordinator for UT!!!!

Favorite,  yeah favorite will always be your favorite. 

And 10 - 1 you have trouble remembering number 2's name. 

baseball camera GIF

6 hours ago, gecko said:

Didn’t OU almost blow a 21 pt lead at home to ISU?

I saw no football yesterday and my excuse is way better than going to a birthday or a pumpkin patch.

Well, they always said to stop doing that or you’d go blind. Should’ve listened. For your sake, I hope your eyesight comes back. 

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If you would have asked me if this team could come back from an immediate 14-0 deficit I would have laughed in your face then punched it for asking such a stupid question.

This team absolutely had/has the talent to wipe out a 14 point deficit against all but a handful (5 to 10 at most) teams. That's sorta the whole point. The reason folk are so full of piss and vinegar around here is that outscoring a team like K-State by more than two TDs over three quarters ought to be a given, when comparing rosters.

Hell, the deterioration of KSU's passing game after halftime was entirely a function of Texas finally letting its talent advantage ride. What might this season look like if there'd been more of that over the past four weeks?

I ain't eatin' no damned crow over this team doing exactly what they are fucking supposed to do.