Arkansas fires Chad Morris

Sandman

He made a bad decision taking that job. A lot of head coaches just see the $$$ and don't think about the long-term details when taking whatever job is offered. He was an offensive coach with experience in Texas and the talent-rich ACC territory. As long as he got SMU bowl-eligible each year, he was always gonna be in demand. Stay at SMU for however long until the perfect job comes up. No way am I wasting my coaching stock on Arkansas. 

I looked for shits to give but it turns out I don’t have any. 
The only reason to care at all is now they might not be a guaranteed sec West win for aggy each year, which would be funny.

Hell, they've barely been guaranteed now even with as terrible as they've been under Morris. With a halfway competent coach aggy will be hard pressed to find a sure thing sec west win each year.

11 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The Arkansas job is a damn good job.

Arkansas is barely in the top 60 in winning pct since joining the SEC. It's not even a second-tier job. They don't play enough games in the state of Texas to recruit well enough here to compete the way they did while in the SWC, and they aren't geographically aligned enough with the SEC footprint to make up for that by recruiting there. 

They need to stop spending their money on coaching buyouts and start buying players if they want to compete. 

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

i remember questioning the hire when morris' record at SMU was mediocre at best. posters on here corrected me that morris was a great coach and that it was a great hire. he was going to make aggy his bitch.

well here we are...

The guys over on TOS were a bunch of idoits. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

23 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t have all the pieces put together yet, but looks like Paxton Anderson might have received an offer from UT over the weekend.  Not sure if Chandler Morris has one?  I’ll keep digging but I won’t be surprised to see Chad at UT next year.

As a PWO?
https://247sports.com/Player/Paxton-Anderson-46082524/

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Oh I’m not talking shit about Gundy.  I’m talking shit to an Okie Light fan who thinks they could do better with a different coach given all their “resources”.  It’s like the most aggy statement ever, only aggy actually has like 10 times the “resources” they do so it actually makes aggy seem seem less aggy in this example.

Good lord I never thought I’d hear myself say that 🤦‍♂️

So no school should ever strive to do better than mediocre? Gundy had the best QB is school history fall into his lap, to go with the best WR in school history that nobody else really wanted, and he got one B12 title. And he followed that up with a recruiting class somewhere in the 40s. Yeah, he's the shit. The fucking rapists won multiple titles, went into the shitter for a year or 2, now they lead the conference again. Our hoops coach just got the #1 recruit in the country, our wrestling coach got the #1 overall kid in the country as well, so I guess our resources aren't too bad. Why can't our FB coach strive to do better? He openly talks about how trying to woo 5 star kids is impossible, so he'll take 2-3 stars and "coach 'em up". That's how you get 6-6 every year, great idea.

You sound like those moronic OSU fans that act like Gundy's the best OSU could ever get. Are we supposed to shutter the program if he leaves? If he died in a car wreck tomorrow, should we cancel the program? Just because he's won 7 out of the last 10 vs Texas doesn't mean he's irreplaceable.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

i hope leach would go to arkie. if nothing more than the lulz that he would bring. he wouldn't fall in line with the sec one for all, all for one mentality. he would rock the boat and call BS when he sees it. plus i'd like to see what his offense could do against sec sec sec defenses every week.

Plus he loves making fun of aggy turditions. Great comedy watching tech go into college station, win the game then the pirate pokes them in the eye on the way out the door. Those were the days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

they have big money donors that can afford it

but they are trying to claw back from bert

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28049475/arkansas-fires-coach-chad-morris-4-18-start

The Razorbacks owed Bielema about $11.9 million when they fired him in November 2017. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported last month that the Razorback Foundation had stopped making monthly payments of $320,833 to Bielema and asked him to return $4.2 million it has already paid him.

At issue is whether Bielema, who now works as a defensive line coach for the New England Patriots, breached his agreement by not actively pursuing another job with compensation similar to what Arkansas paid him.

I would imagine Malzahn is in the running...I would not be surprised if they do not already have him locked up....he has UGA, Sanford (not Stanford you big dummy) and Alabama left on the schedule and with LSU beating Alabama at home and Auburn only losing to LSU by 3 the heat will be on him to beat Alabama (and UGA) otherwise Auburn will feel they have fallen behind LSU as well on the SEC SEC SEC west

as shitty as Auburn treats coaches he could just say fuck it and tank both games with UGA and Alabama and force Auburn to fire him and save Arkansas some cash to hire him while burning down Auburn a little bit on the way out the door

Gus is not long for Auburn at this point and at this point he will get at least 4 years to get Arkansas to 8 wins in a season after Morris ran the place off a cliff

It’s Samford (not Sanford you big dummy).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Maybe, I don’t know.  I don’t follow recruiting at all. I just know a few things that may/may not mean something...

1) Herman was at Highland Park last Friday and I found it odd.  He could have been anywhere in the country on his one free Friday of the football season and he was there.  I thought maybe Prince Dorbah was having second thoughts and Herman was there for him.  Still, it seemed like a lot for that as Prince, at least publicly, seems solid.

2) I don’t think Chandler Morris has an offer from UT.  He’s obviously a solid commit to Arkansas (or he was before his dad got fired), but he does have several other offers from quite a few real schools, including ousux.  So, it’s not just “my dad is Chad Morris” offers...kid appears to be somewhat legit.  Outside of Prince, not sure who else at Highland Park Herman would have been there for.

3) Paxton Anderson and his mom were all over social media on what looked to be an official visit yesterday at UT.  And she was congratulating him and saying how proud she is.  I know that 24/7 link shows no offers, but I’m almost positive he has an offer from Arkansas which isn’t surprising at all just from a “my grandpa’s Jerry Jones” standpoint.

Could be a package deal that includes Chad, Paxton, Chandler (and Prince who was already committed before this) and some of that Jerry Jone money.  Chad will arguably be the best Offensive Coordinator available and he’s from Austin so that makes sense. And now that their Arkansas pipeline has been at least somewhat diminished (assuming firing Chad Morris was a bit of a fuck you to Jerry’s hand picked guy), along with the timing of all of it, there could be something to it.

Or maybe this is all just internet speculation and there’s nothing to any of it.  But, it’s a lot more fun to think there’s something to it.  I’ll keep my ear to the ground and report back if I find out more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sandman said:

So no school should ever strive to do better than mediocre? Gundy had the best QB is school history fall into his lap, to go with the best WR in school history that nobody else really wanted, and he got one B12 title. And he followed that up with a recruiting class somewhere in the 40s. Yeah, he's the shit. The fucking rapists won multiple titles, went into the shitter for a year or 2, now they lead the conference again. Our hoops coach just got the #1 recruit in the country, our wrestling coach got the #1 overall kid in the country as well, so I guess our resources aren't too bad. Why can't our FB coach strive to do better? He openly talks about how trying to woo 5 star kids is impossible, so he'll take 2-3 stars and "coach 'em up". That's how you get 6-6 every year, great idea.

You sound like those moronic OSU fans that act like Gundy's the best OSU could ever get. Are we supposed to shutter the program if he leaves? If he died in a car wreck tomorrow, should we cancel the program? Just because he's won 7 out of the last 10 vs Texas doesn't mean he's irreplaceable.

You missed the point.  You can strive for better than mediocre all you want, but don’t act like you deserve better because you have great resources, facilities and fan support.  You don’t.

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I thought that too, but the money is so good at a place like Arkansas even if you are there 2 or 3 years without any buyout it is hard to pass up

plus depending on what the contract said if Bert really is only working for $50,000 that could be an issue.....sure Texas signed a shitty deal that let Charlie work on the cheap at USF and aggy topped it with basically guaranteeing Rummy and Jimbo huge money no matter what, but maybe not all places make those dumb mistakes

That’s what happens at schools without a law school. 

Who would even want the Arky job? Outside of a few decent years under Nutt and Petrino they haven't exactly done shit since the 1980s. They play in a tough division, they can't match the recruiting of Bama, Auburn and LSU. Hell, even the aggy are dominating them in recruiting and on the field to boot. arky is 0-7 vs the aggy in the SEC, that's fucking pathetic. Arky along with South Carolina have propped up the aggy's SEC record.

Gundys son at Arky is the fat one, not the one who is a pretty good high school qb. I’m in no mood to type out on my iPhone a retort to the idiocy of the “fire Gundy” crowd. Maybe tomorrow when I have a real keyboard. For now just know that opinion stinks as bad as the Texas red chili and stout beer shit currently coming out of my butt as I type this on the throne.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

You missed the point.  You can strive for better than mediocre all you want, but don’t act like you deserve better because you have great resources, facilities and fan support.  You don’t.

The word "deserve" didn't come out of my mouth. I want to do better and I think Gundy has lost whatever fire he used to have. He gets an automatic raise and extension every year, where's his motivation? 

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Who would even want the Arky job? Outside of a few decent years under Nutt and Petrino they haven't exactly done shit since the 1980s. They play in a tough division, they can't match the recruiting of Bama, Auburn and LSU. Hell, even the aggy are dominating them in recruiting and on the field to boot. arky is 0-7 vs the aggy in the SEC, that's fucking pathetic. Arky along with South Carolina have propped up the aggy's SEC record.

I wouldn't say aggy has been dominating them on the field.

5 minutes ago, Sandman said:

The word "deserve" didn't come out of my mouth. I want to do better and I think Gundy has lost whatever fire he used to have. He gets an automatic raise and extension every year, where's his motivation? 

“Deserve”...”think you should have better”...whatever.  Potato...potahto.

oSu is a 6-8 win a year program with an occasional outlier.  Gundy’s got you there.

And no, you don’t have resources, facilities or fan support that entitles you to more.

You’re sounding more aggy with every post.

2 minutes ago, Chad said:

The last two contests the aggy scraped by shitty Arkansas teams. When it comes down to the bottom line the aggy are 7-0 vs the pigs in the SEC.

I'm sure they'll put it on the wall.

Edited by Deej

23 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

“Deserve”...”think you should have better”...whatever.  Potato...potahto.

oSu is a 6-8 win a year program with an occasional outlier.  Gundy’s got you there.

And no, you don’t have resources, facilities or fan support that entitles you to more.

You’re sounding more aggy with every post.

You can't fucking read. I didn't say deserve or should, I said I WANT to do better.  And I never said we have superior resources, I said I'd like to see what someone else can do with what we have. Only aggies want to do better, I suppose. Jesus Christ.

6 hours ago, Sandman said:

I'd like to see what someone else could do with our level of resources. We have a good stadium and good fan support

It sure as shit sounds to me like you think oSu can do better than Gundy and that your great resources, facilities and fan support are part of the reason.  Maybe I’m just reading your post wrong.  Or maybe not.

Edited by Landomatic

Bert is the one that fucked up that roster no matter who took over, he recruited only one type of player that fit his boring ass offense. When Arkansas hires chad who runs the polar opposite style of offense he was gonna need 3-4 years to turn over a roster of kids that don’t fit what he does. If they want to have any shot at being decent they need to hire someone who runs air raid spread to compliment the little bit of roster he has built.

What a dumpster fire Arkansas is right now. It’s amazing. 

Gundy has built Okie St into a good program, they won't do better than him. 1 losing season in 14 years as a head coach in a state lacking talent playing second fiddle to OU....come on now. If it wasn't for some kind of fluke back in 2011 they would've played for a national title. 2018 wasn't ideal and 2019 may not be a whole lot better, but it's too early to write of a coach who has produced with inferior talent. Gundy is like Gary Patterson, except he isn't obese and rocks a mullet haha.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Bert is the one that fucked up that roster no matter who took over, he recruited only one type of player that fit his boring ass offense. When Arkansas hires chad who runs the polar opposite style of offense he was gonna need 3-4 years to turn over a roster of kids that don’t fit what he does. If they want to have any shot at being decent they need to hire someone who runs air raid spread to compliment the little bit of roster he has built.

So Pirate to Pig....

37 minutes ago, Sandman said:

You can't fucking read. I didn't say deserve or should, I said I WANT to do better.  And I never said we have superior resources, I said I'd like to see what someone else can do with what we have. Only aggies want to do better, I suppose. Jesus Christ.

You ought to be careful what you wish for.  Baylor got lucky with Rhule and Gundy is the best HMFIC y’all have had.

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

You ought to be careful what you wish for.  Baylor got lucky with Rhule and Gundy is the best HMFIC y’all have had.

Yes, he is. And that's because we were pure trash for the better part of 60 years. I have no delusions of turning into some colossus but I'd like a coach that seems to "want it". Gundy comes across like a guy that knows he won't be fired, so he can coast until retirement. 

Well I didn't think K State would be able to find a guy like Snyder but they surprised me when they hired Klieman. Not saying he'll become Snyder necessarily, but it was still a homerun hire. Maybe Gundy needs a change of scenery and Okie Lite could make a similar hire. Still, Gundy is too good to fire, even if he is actually coasting.

Edited by Bevo14

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Arky fans didn't realize how bad that team was when Aggy Chad took over.  During Bert's last season, they didn't have any offensive players who would crack the two deep at a mid tier P5 program.  Aggy Chad recruited a few good skill players but it was still not good.  I watch them due to spousal and geographic proclivities and I will tell you their QB's are some of the worst I've seen in a while.  Whoever takes over this program faces a long rebuild.

As for Gundy, lulz at Okie State doing better.  That football program would spin into suckitude like the basketball team did when the Suttons drank their way into the sunset.  Gundy is a gift to them.

• Like 1