Arkansas fires Chad Morris

Sandman

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You lose fourteen conference games in a row, and lose to San Jose State and then Western Kentucky by four touchdowns in the same season-- your fate is sealed. No program that expects to compete for conference championships is going to tolerate that kind of losing. 

Correct.  If you can't beat at least those two,  you don't deserve a year three.   Especially if you are SEC SEC SEC!   The cupcakes are supposed to be three or four auto wins to get you two steps closer to bowl eligibility and of course help pump up the rest of the SEC power and poll rankings so the media continues to hype the conference and the playoff selection committees continue to the buy the hype.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Normally I’d agree but these coaches have demanded more and more money over the years.  Steady improvement over a two year period should be expected.  Same with corporate America and CEO salaries.  They’re getting turned out at record pace.

With the cases of Taggart and Morris, it wasn’t just about the win/loss record.  It was how they were losing.  Florida State was struggling against mediocre teams and getting blown out by good ones.  Arky was losing to bad teams, getting embarrassed by good ones and at the end, getting blown out by bad ones.

Agree.  Normally I'd be totally against it, but like I mentioned ITT, Morris will go down as the worst coach in SEC history.  He probably would've survived an 0-16 SEC start - even though its NEVER happened - if he could've just beaten San Jose State and WKU at home.

Its understandable to need to turn over a roster and get your players in.  But if you can't beat SJSU at home in year 2 with the talent on your roster, you just aren't going to ever get the talent you need to compete with real teams.

This is Morris' decision making ability on starting QB's over the past 2 years.....

Cole Kelley, then Ty Storey, then back to Cole Kelley, then back to Ty Storey, then Connor Noland, then back to Ty Storey, then Ben Hicks, then Nick Starkel, then back to Ben Hicks, then backs to Nick Starkel, then back to Ben Hicks, then John Stephen Jones.....

That's not playing time or drives.  That's how often he changed starting QB's.  6 in less than two years, with almost week to week back and forth changes, and I guarantee the 7th was coming, KJ Jefferson.

And Ty Storey - who wasn't good - gets run off and ends up at WKU, beats your ass, and ends up with more SEC wins than Chad will have.  Storey will retire with a 1-0 advantage on  career P5 wins over Morris.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Agree.  Normally I'd be totally against it, but like I mentioned ITT, Morris will go down as the worst coach in SEC history.  He probably would've survived an 0-16 SEC start - even though its NEVER happened - if he could've just beaten San Jose State and WKU at home.

Its understandable to need to turn over a roster and get your players in.  But if you can't beat SJSU at home in year 2 with the talent on your roster, you just aren't going to ever get the talent you need to compete with real teams.

So you are saying that Morris has a chance to be fine if he goes to a bigger more prestigious program. Lets go get him!

Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss: 10-25, 3-21

Edited by DanTheHorn

11 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This is Morris' decision making ability on starting QB's over the past 2 years.....

Cole Kelley, then Ty Storey, then back to Cole Kelley, then back to Ty Storey, then Connor Noland, then back to Ty Storey, then Ben Hicks, then Nick Starkel, then back to Ben Hicks, then backs to Nick Starkel, then back to Ben Hicks, then John Stephen Jones.....

That's not playing time or drives.  That's how often he changed starting QB's.  6 in less than two years, with almost week to week back and forth changes, and I guarantee the 7th was coming, KJ Jefferson.

And Ty Storey - who wasn't good - gets run off and ends up at WKU, beats your ass, and ends up with more SEC wins than Chad will have.  Storey will retire with a 1-0 advantage on  career P5 wins over Morris.

I was surprised how bad Starkel was.  Some of the local fans were talking him up before the season.  He had all of the physical tools but he made some of the worst throws I've ever seen from a P5 starting QB.  Just awful throws in some cases.  5 INT's vs. a bad San Jose State team, too.  

Also, they were talking up Morris' son as a big time prospect.  I don't keep up with recruiting much but I sauntered over the Rivals and saw he was a 5'10", 175 lbs 3 star recruit.

8 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

Morris deserved firing as much as anyone I've seen. His teams were not playing at all. Giving Morris a third year would have been terrible for that team. I don't know what to think about firing coaches in mid-season though.

Their schedule next year is a lot more difficult.  They play at Notre Dame and draw Tenner in the East, and Tenner is playing better at this point.  Contrary to the SECSECSEC crowd, Arky had the easiest schedule they'll ever get this year.  They had 4 rent a wins and the Mississippi schools are garbage, Missouri is terrible, and they drew Kentucky out of the East whose QB at the time was their starting WR.  The only mid tier team they played was Aggy and there was Bama, Barn, and LSU.  They could have been average this season and still won 6 games or more.

They could have kept Morris and gone 4-8 next season even with a better team.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Every word of this is true and on point.

And don't forget that North Texas State kicked his ass up one side of the field and down the other at home last year, to the tune of 44 -17. It's bad enough for a big state school in a major conference to get upset by the likes of North Texas or Western Kentucky. But to not even belong on the same field with them is inexcusable.

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Correct.  If you can't beat at least those two,  you don't deserve a year three.   Especially if you are SEC SEC SEC!   The cupcakes are supposed to be three or four auto wins to get you two steps closer to bowl eligibility and of course help pump up the rest of the SEC power and poll rankings so the media continues to hype the conference and the playoff selection committees continue to the buy the hype.   

The other SEC coaches probably forced Arky to fire him for ruining their hype

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extra Anejo said:

Morris deserved firing as much as anyone I've seen. His teams were not playing at all. Giving Morris a third year would have been terrible for that team. I don't know what to think about firing coaches in mid-season though.

I thought that he was a season or so away from being let go at SMU.  His agent should get a huge bonus.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Some early names starting to come out for possible new coach, but supposedly Arky gonna take their time deciding...  😬

• Memphis Coach Norvell
  • Malzahn
  • The Pirate
  • Kiffin (not likely)

This will be an interesting coach search -- not a real attractive job for some coaches...

Ahh yes

Joey Springwater to the inbred courtesy phone. 

39 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Add missery to that list. Their best run was their first year in the SEC. Jack shit since. 

However, their contract with the SEC was better than some folks, so there is that.

They've always been pretty mediocre sans-Pinkel. That dude doesn't get enough credit for being a damn good football coach.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

Yes, I'm beginning to think Rhule fits at Baylor just as well as Grant Teaff did. Third year coach that is winning without elite talent. Arky is going to have to find a leftover coach recuperating at Alabama or get lucky with an FCS guy like KSU did. I doubt Lane Kiffin would take the Arky job, of course there's always this high school guy in Mt. Vernon.

Briles to Piggy is going to happen, isn't it?  It's the perfect place for him.  They're completely desperate, and that state has no reputation to ruin.  Arkansas is going to be the laughingstock of the United States for many reasons whether they hire a rape enabling coach or not, so they'll figure that they might as well hire him and win some football games.  

• Like 1

SIAP: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/chad-morris-buyout-arkansas-owes-millions-to-former-head-coach/

Coaching changes don’t come cheap.

Reports surfaced Sunday morning that Arkansas has fired Chad Morris. With the dismissal coming before Dec. 1, 2019, the Razorback Foundation is set to owe Morris just over $10 million not to coach, according to USA Today.

That’s not the only buyout still concerning the Razorbacks. UA recently made headlines for the Razorback Foundation’s decision to stop paying the buyout of Morris’ predecessor Bret Bielema. It’s no surprise that Bielema, currently on the New England Patriots staff, is reportedly fighting back to get his buyout payments. The controversy is over whether the Patriots can get away with paying a salary low enough (such as $50,000) that does not count against the buyout. It was reported that the Razorback Foundation stood to save $7 million by not paying Bielema.

If Arkansas hires away a current college head coach, the program will have to pay that coach’s buyout, adding to the expenses of the failed Morris experiment.

3 minutes ago, Eggo said:

If Arkansas hires away a current college head coach, the program will have to pay that coach’s buyout, adding to the expenses of the failed Morris experiment.

to be fair, the buyout for Norvell is only $500k

5 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Arkansas and Nebraska both need to come over to the Big 12 to become relevant again.  Losing their Texas presence has made both programs models of mediocrity. 

Because of the recruiting right?  Nebraska has always recruited Texas and still does.  10-15% max of the roster was Texas kids.  60-3 run had exactly 10% Texas kids.  So did all the teams before that, and all the teams after til now.  The move to B1G was a bad one, always has been, but it hasn't affected recruiting 10% of the roster from Texas.

7 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

The thing that cracks me up most about about Morris' tenure is that he had so many bad losses that last year's loss to Colorado State doesn't make the short list.  CSU was 3-9 last year.

But Colorado State in 2019 stands as the signature, high water mark triumph of his tenure. So there's that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Because of the recruiting right?  Nebraska has always recruited Texas and still does.  10-15% max of the roster was Texas kids.  60-3 run had exactly 10% Texas kids.  So did all the teams before that, and all the teams after til now.  The move to B1G was a bad one, always has been, but it hasn't affected recruiting 10% of the roster from Texas.

Are you suggesting that all Texas recruits are qualitatively equal? 

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

This penchant for running coaches not 2 full seasons in is ridiculous.  Regarded UCLA fans wanted Chip run a month ago.  He still may not work out, but you gotta give a coach some time.  No way a coach’s plan gets traction 22 games in, especially if the talent is depleted.

Would you say that if Kelly had a career record 20 games under .500, never beat a P5 team in his life, hadn’t won a conference game since coming to UCLA and got run by all but one rent-a-win on the schedule this year?  Yeah, he just needs some more time.

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Briles to Piggy is going to happen, isn't it?  It's the perfect place for him.  They're completely desperate, and that state has no reputation to ruin.  Arkansas is going to be the laughingstock of the United States for many reasons whether they hire a rape enabling coach or not, so they'll figure that they might as well hire him and win some football games.  

I don't think Arky would hire Briles but since it's the SEC, I would like to see it happen. It might cause Finebaum to have a heart attack. 

16 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Jesus, this has been covered ad nauseam. Go re-read your Nebraska thread.

18 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Rape?!  Naaawwww.  We just one big family here, and we was treatin' 'em just like we do our sisters!

18 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

To be honest, I haven't looked at the percentages.

Maybe it was more about Rust Belt farm boys on steroids and Prop 48 skill players like Lawrence Phillips? Regardless, UNL can and should recruit TX better. Big 12 membership would help.

23 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Arkansas and Nebraska both need to come over to the Big 12 to become relevant again.  Losing their Texas presence has made both programs models of mediocrity. 

Or they both can stay where they are and stay in mediocrity while I laugh my ass off.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 10:47 AM, crash_davis said:

i remember questioning the hire when morris' record at SMU was mediocre at best. posters on here corrected me that morris was a great coach and that it was a great hire. he was going to make aggy his bitch.

well here we are...

Yes, here we are as he's fired after two years of failing to produce better results with the previous guy's players.

This is just another case of a program believing its own horseshit and that it's possible to microwave a solid product.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

You lose fourteen conference games in a row, and lose to San Jose State and then Western Kentucky by four touchdowns in the same season-- your fate is sealed. No program that expects to compete for conference championships is going to tolerate that kind of losing. 

What right do they have to expect those things that soon into an HC's tenure? Matter of fact, what right do they have to expect those things at all? Arkansas has never even come close to winning an SEC title. They've only been to the CCG 3 times since their arrival 27 years ago, and they were beaten by double digits every time with an average MOL of 23 points per game.

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

When Morris hired Chavis, Morris killed his chances of success at Arky.

Hiring a crappy staff resulted in his quick firing.

Just saw this again from @Machinator   LOL

According to a contract that Chavis signed in January, his salary will increase from $995,000 annually to $1.5 million beginning March 1, 2019.

Chavis will receive another pay raise to $1.6 million on March 1, 2020. He is the first Arkansas assistant in any sport to make more than $1 million per year.

Chavis will be paid the line-item maximum of $400,000 through university funds. The remainder of his salary will be paid through revenue produced from Arkansas' multimedia and apparel contracts.

If Chavis is fired for convenience prior to the end of his contract on Feb. 28, 2021, he will be owed a severance pay equal to 70 percent of his salary through the end of the employment term. If Chavis leaves Arkansas for another job he would owe the university 70 percent of his remaining salary, but that fee would be waived if the new position is a head coaching job or a full-time job in the NFL.

Chavis' salary this year (at Arky) was subsidized by money owed to him by his former employer, Texas A&M, according to reports. Chavis made $1.608 million in 2017 at Texas A&M, which made him the third-highest paid assistant coach in college football at the time.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Yes, here we are as he's fired after two years of failing to produce better results with the previous guy's players.

This is just another case of a program believing its own horseshit and that it's possible to microwave a solid product.

Well, on the contrary, Spike Dykes is kicking ass with Morris' recruits so it can happen. Stoops did it with Blakes recruits. But for every Dykes and Stoops, there are a gazillion Morris'. But programs have to take a chance. Either accept the status quo and keep shittiness and mediocrity forever, or roll the dice and hope you get a Stoops.

We all thought Herman was a good to great hire. Jury is definitely still out on that one.