Arkansas fires Chad Morris

Sandman

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting Coach Search... A few names mentioned:  Matt Campbell, Mike Norvell, Justin Fuentes, and Lane Kiffin.

Not sure any P5 type coach will want Arky job right now...

I don't see Campbell as a candidate there. His name is mentioned in conjunction with top level jobs and Arkansas is at its low ebb, meaning it's basically a third-tier job. I'd be surprised if he were so eager to get out of Ames that he'd go to Arkansas. He has a shot at a job like Michigan, to name one, if the timing works out. 

Norvell or Fuente seem about right, although Fuente's attractiveness depends on what it will cost them to pry him loose from Virginia Tech. He doesn't really strike me as a guy you'd want to pay a premium to get.

Kiffin, lulz, sure, why not. Fuck Arkansas.

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don't know who in their right minds would want the Arkansas job who already has a good gig elsewhere.

If we think our situation is a dumpster fire with Mensa and our now former DC,   Arkansas is dumpster fire full of burning shit.

This does help explain Kiffin.

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don't know who in their right minds would want the Arkansas job who already has a good gig elsewhere.

If we think our situation is a dumpster fire with Mensa and our now former DC,   Arkansas is dumpster fire full of burning shit.

Arky comes hard on the money.

5 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Norvell or Fuente seem about right, although Fuente's attractiveness depends on what it will cost them to pry him loose from Virginia Tech. He doesn't really strike me as a guy you'd want to pay a premium to get.

Don't know why either would take that job.  VT is a better job than Arkie.  And Norvell should have much better options.

32 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Don't know why either would take that job.  VT is a better job than Arkie.  And Norvell should have much better options.

You think so? I think Virginia Tech and Arkansas are about the same right now, but when the Arkansas program is healthy, that's the job I'd rather have. 

So I guess I'm saying it's at best a lateral move so, to your point, why would Fuente move again so quickly? You'd have to really want to bash your head against the wall playing Bama, Auburn, and LSU every year. Plus The Perpetually Sleeping GiantTM of Texas A&M!!!

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You think so? I think Virginia Tech and Arkansas are about the same right now, but when the Arkansas program is healthy, that's the job I'd rather have. 

So I guess I'm saying it's at best a lateral move so, to your point, why would Fuente move again so quickly? You'd have to really want to bash your head against the wall playing Bama, Auburn, and LSU every year. Plus The Perpetually Sleeping GiantTM of Texas A&M!!!

Seems easier to build a decent team at Va. Tech vs. Arkansas (in its current state). I'm sure he doesn't have Va Tech where he wants them but they were pretty damn average this year and still won 8 games.   Arkansas just seems like one of the worst jobs in the country right now and their administration just proved you aren't going to necessarily have time to get 'your guys' in place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Fuentes not real popular at VT right now... And he was born nearby in Tulsa, OK. 

Could see a Fuentes & Odom (DC) pairing go to Arky since they were together at Memphis before...

I said elsewhere I can't see Kiffin taking this job

he is still a very young guy in terms of head coaches in D1-A and he has already fucked up at Tennessee and USC

he was not fired from Tennessee of course, but he sure showed no loyalty to them and he did improve them......people seem to want to forget all the bullshit USC was dealing with while he was there and it showed in their depth his last year and he did not do terrible there when you take that into consideration

he got along shitty with Saban so he has already been there and done that at Nicks reform school

and he did shitty at da raiders, but considering how fucked up things were there what did you expect

I think he should and does know (if he doesn't he is a giant dumb ass) that he has basically one more chance at a major P5 gig and after that if he fucks it up again he is a life long coordinator or at least a 15+ year coordinator before he MIGHT get another head coaching chance....and considering he likes to fuck head coaches' daughters, alumnus's wives, co-coaches daughters and other students around campus and that he is hard to employ that means he probably is not looking to be a coordinator especially after losing yet another P5 job

I don't think the current incarnation of Arkansas is a place where a young guy that already has a head coaching job where he is doing well, expectations are low, coeds are hot and fuckable, that shit is given a pass and a young coach that has already fucked up a lot of other P5 jobs looks to take his one last chance at a P5 job

especially when there are sure to be so many other openings next year and possibly even this year.....unless the Lane Train is just on a track to stupid and fucking up I think he waits it out for a much better job where 7-6 or 8-5 the first couple of years translates to "we are turning this around" instead of "lets fire this fuck too"

Edited by ButtFumble

25 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

he is still a very young guy in terms of head coaches in D1-A and he has already fucked up at Tennessee and USC

he was not fired from Tennessee of course, but he sure showed no loyalty to them and he did improve them......people seem to want to forget all the bullshit USC was dealing with while he was there and it showed in their depth his last year and he did not do terrible there when you take that into consideration

Obligatory:

LAYLA-KIFFIN-PICTURE-PHOTO.jpg

RackMultipart.3507.0_original.jpg?126339

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I don't think the current incarnation of Arkansas is a place where a young guy that already has a head coaching job where he is doing well, expectations are low, coeds are hot and fuckable, that shit is given a pass and a young coach that has already fucked up a lot of other P5 jobs looks to take his one last chance at a P5 job

The problem for Lane (or anybody)  taking the Arky gig right now, is recruiting - go west, and you've got OU competing against you, go south and you've got LSU competing against you - two teams that will most likely be in this year's CFP.  Go southwest and you've got everybody else trying to raid Texas.  Forget about going east, because you're dealing with Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, etc. and same with going north.

Putting aside his lack of geographical ties to the area, Lane doesn't strike me as the type to do well in that environment.  At least at USC, he had the USC brand he could use as a selling point.  The Arky brand ain't what it used to be, at least outside of Arkansas.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The problem for Lane (or anybody)  taking the Arky gig right now, is recruiting - go west, and you've got OU competing against you, go south and you've got LSU competing against you - two teams that will most likely be in this year's CFP.  Go southwest and you've got everybody else trying to raid Texas.  Forget about going east, because you're dealing with Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, etc. and same with going north.

Putting aside his lack of geographical ties to the area, Lane doesn't strike me as the type to do well in that environment.  At least at USC, he had the USC brand he could use as a selling point.  The Arky brand ain't what it used to be, at least outside of Arkansas.

I agree with 100% of that

then combine the fact that they are deep in the shitter right now coming off one coach that ran an outdated system and then his replacement that had a poor first recruiting class then a good second one then was fired before he finished his second season and recruiting looks like a disaster

plus the clearly unrealistic expectations of how long it will take to clean all that shit up and then the expectations for a coach that does get that shit cleaned up

the next guy will probably get 3 years at most unless he can win 9 games one of those years and not fall back but one game from that

11 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

he got along shitty with Saban so he has already been there and done that at Nicks reform school

and he did shitty at da raiders, but considering how fucked up things were there what did you expect

I think he should and does know (if he doesn't he is a giant dumb ass) that he has basically one more chance at a major P5 gig and after that if he fucks it up again he is a life long coordinator or at least a 15+ year coordinator before he MIGHT get another head coaching chance....and considering he likes to fuck head coaches' daughters, alumnus's wives, co-coaches daughters and other students around campus and that he is hard to employ that means he probably is not looking to be a coordinator especially after losing yet another P5 job

especially when there are sure to be so many other openings next year and possibly even this year.....unless the Lane Train is just on a track to stupid and fucking up I think he waits it out for a much better job where 7-6 or 8-5 the first couple of years translates to "we are turning this around" instead of "lets fire this fuck too"

Counterpoint. He coaches at FAU and wants to leave that wasteland job

5 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

I know it's not going to happen but it seems to me Art Briles and Arkansas deserve each other. Plus he just might do as well Petrino.

This unfortunately makes a lot of sense.  Who else is desperate enough to fade the heat from hiring him?  And he'd take it in seconds.

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Leach makes the most sense to me.   I'm guessing he's ready for a change of scenery/new challenge and significantly less downside risk considering he's almost 60.  Nobody is ever hiring him for a top 20 job.

I think Pullman is good with a weird intellectual coach. I don’t think the troglodytes in Arkansas are going to be ok with him but if they win they probably wouldn’t care too much. 

15 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

I think Pullman is good with a weird intellectual coach. I don’t think the troglodytes in Arkansas are going to be ok with him but if they win they probably wouldn’t care too much. 

True although it played ok at Tech.   I'm just guessing the Arkansas administration is currently realizing how unappealing that job is.  Every up and comer just witnessed it destroy CM's career trajectory in 2 years (regardless of what they may think of him as a coach).  And now competing with Mizzou and Ole Miss (both probably better jobs assuming you can stop the player exodus at Ole Miss) and Norvell will leave Memphis loaded.   

2 hours ago, Rhinotx said:

If Arky has any designs on being relevant again, they cannot be picky about this.

5 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

Couldn’t figure out how to get the damned iPad to start the sentence with lower case; I promise to do better!  I know, perhaps a phrasing problem.....

F'n Apple.  *smh*

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

They will never be relevant again.

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Houston Nutt had them relevant in 2006 with Malzahn as OC, McFadden at RB, and Mustain at QB. That kind of perfect storm could happen again.

It definitely could happen.  I think they should move to the Big XII, it's a much better fit.  It would help them with recruiting.

I don't think they have a chance in hell of more than short-term success in the SEC.  But I doubt their egos would let them contemplate a smart move out of the SEC.

36 minutes ago, Deej said:

They will never be relevant again.

They were 10-3 with a Sugar Bowl loss to tOSU in 2010, and 11-2 the next season with losses to LSU and Alabama, then Bobby went for a bike ride and it fell apart.  It can happen there with the right person.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1