Surly Lib PAC

Larry T. Spider

A few of us libtards have kicked around the idea of banding together to support a candidate in a race where our financial contributions would actually matter. We know that Texas turning blue will end the republican party as we know it and the shift to the left has already been felt in recent elections. We are finally living in a time where there is hope for Texas and the demographics support us winning NOW. The main impediment is lack of voter participation and organization. If people still have an interest in this, we can use this thread to discuss potential candidates, pick one, discuss progress and celebrate a blue victory. 

Some things to consider when selecting a candidate:

1. Is the person in a very competitive district? Bonus points for Texas House as we have a chance to flip it this cycle. Think of the huge loss of power for guys like Patrick and Abbott that this would create. 

2. Does the person support policies that the surly liberal elite are likely to support?

3. Is this person running in or near a major Texas city so that people can get involved in other ways?

4. Does this person collect donations through Act Blue?

5. Would this person be willing to drink with surly posters if we organized a gathering of angry drunk liberals? 

So, my thought is that we can start making sales pitches for particular candidates below. We have plenty of time, so no need to decide in the near future. Once we have a person, know more about them, and the area where they are running, we can decide more. Please post here if you are interested so that we can gauge that. Also, give a write up for your favorite candidate and why they are worthy of Surly support. 

• Like 8

If Kopser can’t beat him, consider that seat his until the 2022 post-redraw.  Not to diminish this good idea but no democrat is gonna best him in 2020 if Kopser couldn’t pull it off.  A candidate will look at how close he came and think that means it’s close to flipping.  But that’s not the real picture.  

I’d go after a state house member in a district with lots of Longhorns.  

Edited by Lobo

Winning the Texas house would be the most important thing you could do as the next ledg will handle redrawing the districts. An independent agency that drew districts that  were fair to both parties would radically change how the state is governed and help make the popular national vote in future elections be reflected in the distribution of house members.

• Like 2

Oliver is a good one. John Carter is holding on to Tx31 by a hair and WillCo might be turning blue (growing blue, actually) faster than any other part of Texas. I think there are a couple of Ds running for the nomination there, so we would probably need to wait until that's decided, unless we want to support someone through the primary. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Oliver is a good one. John Carter is holding on to Tx31 by a hair and WillCo might be turning blue (growing blue, actually) faster than any other part of Texas. I think there are a couple of Ds running for the nomination there, so we would probably need to wait until that's decided, unless we want to support someone through the primary. 

Donna Imam FTW, but I'm already on record there.

I’ll pitch in more out of the curiosity factor.  See if we can actually influence a race. 

I remember thinking how cheap politicians were.  $7k got Ann Kitchens to take ridiculous positions. Be cool if we can do that in some direction.  Get some state rep elected on the condition she introduces a fluff bill honoring A&M  as “a highly regarded university” or some such.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s more of a PAC in name only. No sense in me collecting money when people could just as easily send it through act blue and make reoccurring donations as needed. If somebody wants to take the time, I’ll gladly support it though. 

I do think it will be a fun experiment to see how a group of motivated people from all over can influence a race. At the very least, I hope that it will get people to pay more attention to smaller races. Some good names being thrown out so far, but for US house seats. I would encourage people to think even more locally with the Texas house. Our money would go a long way there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m supporting Julie Oliver. She’s smart, she’s got an inspiring personal story, and running against Roger Williams.

I will support the PAC if it can file official PAC papers as “Surly Libtard Political Action Committee”

Turns out the whole party is this way, but Roger Williams is a fucking asshole. I’m in. 

Texas House district 138 is extremely vulnerable to flip to Dem. Represents NW Houston, basically the area between 290 and I-10, on both sides of hwy 8 (Sam Houston tollway).  district 138 is about 33% white, 46% Hispanic, 8% black. 

Dwayne Bohac (R) has held it since 2002, sometimes running unopposed.   In 2018 he beat the Dem candidate by less than 100 votes. Previously he had a Dem opponent in 2014 and won 66%. He’s not running in 2020.

https://ballotpedia.org/Texas_House_of_Representatives_District_138

https://www.texastribune.org/directory/districts/tx-house/138/

I see it as a good test for this experiment because it may only require a small effort to flip. If Democrats need to flip 9 seats, this opportunity can’t be missed.

As of Sept, these were the 2 Dem candidates: 
http://www.akilahbacy.com/ 
https://josh4texas.com/

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I came here to make fun of Briscoe Cain but then I read this and felt bad.

AUSTIN — A Texas lawmaker spoke publicly for the first time Thursday about his struggle with autism.

Rep. Briscoe Cain revealed he has Asperger's Syndrome during a speech on the House floor marking Autism Awareness Month. Flanked by his colleagues at the front microphone of the chamber, the Deer Park Republican said it was time for him to tell his story.

I wouldn't wish autism or Asperger Syndrome on anyone.

Nor would I wish asthma, eczema, cancer or heart disease on anyone.

I wish Briscoe Cain didn't have his medical struggles.  I also wish he wasn't in office, because he's a jackass who has a horrible perspective and who hates people for no reason than because they are "different".  That's the difference between Briscoe and me -- I hate him not because he's different, I pity him because he's a terrible human being.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

Briscoe Cain would be a fun target to attempt to remove, but he looks to be in a relatively safe area. However he hasn't faced a Dem opponent before.  Can anyone quickly figure out hoe Trump fared in Texas district 128, Cain's district, in 2016?

I would like to help as well. I think the best method is to identify a district(s) where the GOP or Dem candidate is vulnerable. Don't get overly involved in the primary to let the locals decide their best Dem candidate.  Then go hard with support in the general.

Aspergers doesn’t make you issue death threats and say shit and do shit like the following -

-claim Texas medical schools are using aborted fetuses for research

-act as legal counsel for “Operation Save America”. A fundamentalist[1][2] Christian conservative organization based in Concord, North Carolina, a suburb of Charlotte, that opposes human induced abortion and its legality, Islam, and homosexuality. (The wiki on this organization is ...... wow. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Save_America )

- Cain was named one of "The Worst Legislators of 2017" by Texas Monthly, which wrote "We tried really hard to give Briscoe Cain a pass. But he left us little choice. When we asked Capitol insiders for Worst list suggestions, his name, almost universally, was the first one mentioned."[21]

- His plans to sue an HBCU for infringing on his First Amendment rights when protesters shouted him down. (He blamed BLM in the process.)

- Tweeted the following when Stephen Hawking died - “Stephen Hawking now knows the truth about how the universe was actually made. My condolences to his family."

Don’t feel sorry for him. Aspergers doesn’t make someone an assholish partisan hack.

I’ll chime in that the best bang for our buck is to try to flip Texas house seats. The long-term GOP strategy was to flip state houses. They did, it worked, and it allowed them to control redistricting. The Dems should learn from that.
Also, Julie Oliver says exactly the truth - we’re all in this together, and this bullshit American myth of bootstraps and “one man against the world” is just that, bullshit. We are all a product of our efforts...with the support and help of our family, friends, community, schooling, legal system, infrastructure, etc. We are a society. THAT is what us made us “great,” time and time again. Neil Armstrong didn’t get to the moon by himself.
Also...she’s purty. And also, Roger Williams sucks shit through a straw.

• Like 4

I got the above from a lurker that wanted to contribute. Many more people read surly politics than the regular posters. From him/her:

I wanted to share this link for people looking to Flip the Texas House. Also has info for Julie Oliver and how to get involved with registering voters in her district. Please feel free to share, I did not want to spam other forums to get my count up to post.