How is this offsides and not a delay of game?

GreenspointTexas

Why this continues is beyond me. Sure, we commit stupid penalties, but half the shit we get called for is stuff they aren’t calling our opponents for. Our AD has to start raising hell. 

Again, how many other teams have been called multiple times in a season for offensive pass interference after a review?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It couldn’t have been offsides before the delay, because if the ball wasn’t snapped until after the play clock expired (delay of game), the play didn’t happen, thus no offsides. It could have only been offsides if there was contact. Complete idiocy. 

This...how do you call a foul for offsides AND delay of game. If there is a delay of game flag, the offsides is impossible. 

17 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

A thread about B12 officials sucking may be the most redundant and duh shit ever. 

End of thread. 

The Big 12 will be officially dead on June 30, 2025. In 2058 days. It will be effectively dead by 2023 when the next round of conference restructuring kicks off in earnest. 

It cant die soon enough.

B12 refs are so bad it's comical.   PAC refs are even worse.

Ref from WSU-Cal game is suspended.  WSU had a ~50yd kick return and got called for hands to the face, brought back to the 8 yard line.  Ran 1 play then official told leach they called the penalty on the wrong team, oops.  

Meanwhile in the Bama-LSU game they were pretty much left to play.  If they had B12 refs it would have been a 5 hour affair with 60 penalties and 18 ejections, while everyone would have to suffer through the gun show hogging camera time.  And the reviews, might have been close to 6 hours.  

13 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

If Roach is disciplined, the refs don’t get an opportunity to fuck it up.

Are you kidding? The clock was at :00. There is never an easier time to jump a snap than when the clock is running down to zeroes.

That isn't inexcusable by Roach. That's inexcusable by the refs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Are you kidding? The clock was at :00. There is never an easier time to jump a snap than when the clock is running down to zeroes.

That isn't inexcusable by Roach. That's inexcusable by the refs. 

Please tell me you’re not stupid enough to think a DL is watching the play clock? If he’s watching that instead of the ball, it might help explain why our DL sucks most of the time. 

24 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Please tell me you’re not stupid enough to think a DL is watching the play clock? If he’s watching that instead of the ball, it might help explain why our DL sucks most of the time. 

Yeah actually, i kind of expect players on the field to know what the situation is. The playclock was obviously bleeding down so yeah, i expect him to be trying to time up his rush.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah actually, i kind of expect players on the field to know what the situation is. The playclock was obviously bleeding down so yeah, i expect him to be trying to time up his rush.

What if they’re only trying to draw the defense off? It was a stupid move by Roach and I hope like hell he’s not watching the play clock. He’s good for a couple stupid decisions a game and this was definitely one.

14 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

That’s not possible. It can’t be offsides without contact or the ball being snapped. The ball was snapped AFTER the clock ran out. Delay. 

Actually there can be offsides without contact or a snap.

If the defender enters the neutral zone before the snap causing an offensive player to move it is called offsides.

I do not remember this particular play or if that is what happened however. 

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

Offsides occurs at contact, snap, or reaction from the offense.  None of those things happened regardless of whether Roach's timing was slightly off or not. This was a technical mistake by the refs.

Exactly. It's possible for the offside to be before the delay of game if their OL had reacted to his being in the neutral zone before the snap. But that didn't happen, it was a blown call.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

There is no such thing as encroachment in college?

There actually is encroachment in college, but it's by the offense and is rarely called. I'm surprised it hasn't become a point of emphasis based on hurry-up offenses.

image.png.e1bd898c913a349b9a9ffaf417ff6278.png

On 11/11/2019 at 7:17 AM, Casual Encounter said:

You’re a fucking idiot. DL are trained to do that. Have you ever played football before?

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess @Casual Encounter wants his qb looking at the defense and ignoring the play clock as well since apparently one cannot have total situational awareness. 

That’s the QB’s job. The DL’s job is to get off as quickly as possible upon the snap of the ball. He can’t do that if he’s watching the clock...

4 minutes ago, Cap Hooked said:

You’re a fucking idiot. DL are trained to do that. Have you ever played football before?

Let’s simplify this. If the ball hasn’t snapped, it’s offsides. If the whistle hasn’t blown for delay of game, it’s offsides. We consistently see the refs give leeway in an expiring play clock, so coaching a defensive player to go is a dumb gamble in my opinion. Besides the fact that if he’s watching the clock, he’s not watching the ball and will be slow to get off the line.

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Let’s simplify this. If the ball hasn’t snapped, it’s offsides. If the whistle hasn’t blown for delay of game, it’s offsides. We consistently see the refs give leeway in an expiring play clock, so coaching a defensive player to go is a dumb gamble in my opinion. Besides the fact that if he’s watching the clock, he’s not watching the ball and will be slow to get off the line.

Or he’ll be the first off the line since the QB usually snaps the ball when the clock hits zero or gets delay of game or that team calls a timeout. This is common in the NFL and college and highschool you’re literally fucking stupid. This isn’t some obscure thing, the refs obviously fucked up in this situation and Roach was in the right. You’re wrong. You’re just wrong there’s no way around it

Edited by Cap Hooked