2020 NFL DRAFT

Napoleon

(Lindsay Jones) NFL Draft Day 2 superlatives: SEC domination, Jalen Hurts and a very good dog

The second and third rounds of the NFL Draft were held on Friday, with Alabama and LSU continuing to churn out pros and Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts finding a home in Philadelphia. To sort through everything that happened, let’s get to some awards.

Biggest winner: The SEC

Power 5 schools dominated the first three rounds of the draft, but none more than the SEC. A day after 15 SEC players were drafted in the first round (a record for a single conference), another 25 players heard their names called on Friday for a three-round record of 40 players, the most ever for the draft’s first two days. Are SEC schools typically dominant? Sure. Did national champion LSU deserve to have 10 players (five in the first round, two in the second and three in the third) drafted in the first two days? Absolutely.

But teams consistently looking to LSU, Alabama and Auburn early in the draft gives credence to one of the concerns about the altered draft cycle: how the lack of pro days and in-person visits could hurt under-the-radar prospects who could have benefitted from face-to-face time with NFL decision-makers.

There were a few notable exceptions on Friday: Lenoir-Rhyne safety Kyle Dugger (a classic Patriots pick at No. 37), Southern Illinois safety Jeremy Chinn (No. 64 to the Panthers), Appalachian State running back Darrynton Evans (No. 93 to the Titans) and Dayton tight end Adam Trautman (No. 105 to the Saints). All four players participated in the NFL combine in February.

Biggest losers: Quarterbacks

Hurts was the only quarterback drafted on Friday, bringing the two-day total to five. ESPN’s cameras frequently flashed into the living rooms of Georgia’s Jake Fromm and Washington’s Jacob Eason, who expected to be second-day picks. They waited and waited, but the phone calls still haven’t come. Eason appeared particularly bored or dejected as the third round carried on. Falling to the third day will signal to both that the NFL views them as developmental prospects, and the path toward becoming a starter is increasingly difficult. That two established starters, Cam Newton and Jameis Winston, are still free agents further muddies the picture as few teams have holes at the position.

Pick that makes you say ‘Huh?’: Hurts to the Eagles

I understand the Eagles seem to place more value on their backup quarterbacks than many other franchises do (and that philosophy enabled them to win a Super Bowl, so it’s hard to fault them too much for it), but using the No. 53 pick on Hurts is still baffling. I’m old enough to remember when the Eagles signed Carson Wentz to a $128 million contract extension, because that was only last year.

Conventional wisdom throughout the league, and most of the discussion on the joint ESPN-NFL Network broadcast, was that the Eagles would create packages of plays for Hurts, perhaps in a similar fashion to how the Saints use backup quarterback Taysom Hill in a variety of roles. Even if Hurts were to score a few touchdowns and become a fan favorite in a very limited role, it’s hard to see that justifying the investment the Eagles made by selecting him at No. 53.

The only scenario I can imagine that would make Hurts’ selection worth it is if he swoops in and, in Nick Foles-fashion, wins a Super Bowl and becomes a highly tradeable asset (for at least a first-rounder) within the next two seasons.

Best assistant: Bill Belichick’s canine friend

If Titans coach Mike Vrabel’s kids were the viral stars of the first round, the honor went to Nike, Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s dog, on Friday. ESPN’s in-home camera captured Nike, an Alaskan Klee Kai, sitting at Belichick’s chair early in the second round. Belichick was, at least initially, nowhere to be seen. Eventually, Belichick wandered into the room and handed Nike a treat that appeared to have been stashed near one of the laptops.

So, how did Nike do as an NFL personnel executive? Nike barked in the Patriots’ pick of Dugger and dug up pass rusher Josh Uche of Michigan at No. 60. (The Patriots drafted three more players in the third round, including a pair of tight ends.)

Best plan: Broncos

So this is what it’s like when the Broncos aren’t spending the draft panicking about picking a quarterback. Denver, for the first time in the post-Peyton Manning era, has a clear draft plan, and that’s to build around quarterback Drew Lock, their second-round pick in 2019. John Elway’s haul so far includes wide receivers with Denver’s first two picks: Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy at No. 15 on Thursday and Penn State slot receiver/special teamer KJ Hamler in the second round at No. 46 on Friday.

Later, the Broncos added LSU center Lloyd Cushenberry, who should immediately become their starting center, at No. 83. The message is clear: It will be Lock’s team, and the Broncos will have a young offense that will grow with him and around him. They are unlikely to have an offensive starter older than 27.

Most confusing plan: Packers

The last time we saw the Packers, in the NFC Championship Game in January, we saw them get run over and run off the field by the 49ers. Wouldn’t it have made sense, then, for the Packers to focus their draft plan on improving the defense? Not in the first couple of rounds, at least. After the stunning move to select quarterback Jordan Love in the first round (and moving up four spots to No. 26 to do it), the Packers’ next picks were a running back (Boston College’s A.J. Dillon at No. 62) and a tight end (Cincinnati’s Josiah Deguara at No. 94).

Saturday should be busy for the Packers, who have six picks in the final four rounds, but we wouldn’t blame Packers fans if they want to get a head start on that spring yard work instead.

Biggest glitch: Bill O’Brien’s meltdown

It was remarkable, really, that it took until the third round for the war room cameras installed in the homes of every head coach and general manager to reveal a disagreement while a team was on the clock. It was even more remarkable that the decision-maker captured gesturing wildly with his hands and screaming into the phone was the Texans’ Bill O’Brien, who serves as their head coach and general manager.

O’Brien stormed away from his desk (and past his son, who sat quietly with his arms folded) just before Goodell announced Jonathan Greenard as the Texans’ third-round pick. The Houston Chronicle’s John McClain reported O’Brien’s ire was directed at the Lions, who had just backed out of a trade agreement. That would explain O’Brien’s meltdown, though it’s not as amusing an explanation as if O’Brien the head coach were arguing with O’Brien the general manager over a pick.

Broadcast tone: … Uncomfortable?

The remotely held draft has largely provided a favorable viewer experience, but on Friday, the challenges of pulling off such a complicated process were clearer than they were during Thursday’s first round.

Without being able to rely on interviews with prospects and lingering green room footage, and without the ease of moving seamlessly between analysts, ESPN often focused on nuggets from prospects’ personal lives. That meant a lot of chatter about the sons of coaches or parents who were athletes. But it also led to a rapid rehashing of heart-wrenching and sometimes tragic stories.

Those are the pieces best told by reporters like Tom Rinaldi and presented with extensive interviews and production, not as facts intermixed with a discussion about 40-yard dash times and physical traits. I’m not sure if more players had tragic backstories this year or if the unconventional broadcast format made it seem that way. Fans (and even NFL players) following the draft noticed.

It isn’t ESPN anchor Trey Wingo’s fault. He’s in an absurdly difficult position trying to coordinate with a large team of analysts and reporters spread across the country, all of whom are working without the aid of an on-site producer. He must introduce NFL fans to the players while providing frequent nods to healthcare workers and those affected by the coronavirus pandemic. The NFL is trying to be everything in one broadcast, and it’s not always working.

Parting shot

The second day was bookended by viral visuals — Nike the dog at 7 p.m. ET and commissioner Roger Goodell reading late third-round picks while lounging in his leather chair four hours later. Never has Goodell done so much heavy lifting in the draft. Normally, his pick-calling duties are over by the early second round, when he’s replaced by a member of his staff and a rotating cast of former players and community icons.

Goodell has thus far announced all 106 picks from his basement. We’d be ready for a nap and a big glass of whiskey, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

Why would a xfl player get drafted and not signed as a free agent? He has already been a professional player.

because the NFL is a different legal entity. 

the draft is approved by the players union. In order to play in the NFL you cant play until you have completed 3 actual years of college, or the equivalent in the workforce.

the former WV guy was a sophomore who got booted from WV and played in the XFL  rather than sit out a year under the transfer rules.

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 2

It's crazy how we took Parker Braun, who would have been drafted had to gone directly to the draft from GT and now he's probably not getting drafted.

tOSU took a lower rated Jonah Jackson from Rutgers and turned him into a second rounder. 

Damn fucking shame.

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

One player drafted a bit ago they said something like, “he has some personal issues. He stole his girlfriend’s purse and there were some robbery challenges. But he’s solid on the field.” Ha! 

That was Alton Robinson, who initially signed with aggy even though it was known he had off field issues. Stay classy, aggy!

I didn't know about Fromm playing for Warner Robins in the LLWS. I remember Warner Robins being in the tournament and as customary I eyeballed the baseball moms in the stands. I am guessing I was coveting mama Fromm 11 years ago.

It’s been a better draft this year for us. Hopefully this will only improve. Last year we only got Omenihu (round 5) and Boyd (round 7) drafted. 
this year two in round three Jones and Duvernay. And one in round 5 Johnson.

not as good of a year for Big 12 overall: 17 so far compared to last years total of 26. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s been a better draft this year for us. Hopefully this will only improve. Last year we only got Omenihu (round 5) and Boyd (round 7) drafted. 
this year two in round three Jones and Duvernay. And one in round 5 Johnson.

not as good of a year for Big 12 overall: 17 so far compared to last years total of 26. 

Thought Jones was round 2? Maybe I should look this up before asking. Maybe I shouldn’t post this. 

*looks down at keypad* 

meh

• Like 1

Big 12 so far:

TCU: two picks round 1, one pick round 2, one pick round 3

OU: two picks round 1, one pick round 2, one pick round 3

UT: two picks round 3, one pick round 5

Kansas: one pick round 5

WVU: two picks round 5

Baylor: one pick round 2, one pick round 4

Texas Tech: one pick round 1, and 1 pick round 5

29 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

John Lynch is making some damn good moves in this draft.  I love Goodwin but he just parlayed a 5th rounder for Trent Williams moved 20 moves up and got the cap space from Joe Staley retiring and trading Goodwin who was going to be buried in the depth chart

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Those December games are really going to firm up her bosom. 

I like Jake's mom's bosom, but I like the QB out of the University of Buffalo that the Bills added to their practice squad last year a hell of a lot more than Fromm.

EDIT: The University of Buffalo kid has a very similar game to Josh Allen, but he's a little bit bigger than Josh.

Former Bills training camp QB Tyree Jackson (U of Buffalo) went to XFL. Don't know where he'll be this fall, but I'm thinking that Fromm will make the squad.

Edited by Napoleon

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

I like Jake's mom's bosom, but I like the QB out of the University of Buffalo that the Bills added to their practice squad last year a hell of a lot more than Fromm.

The University of Buffalo kid has a very similar game to Josh Allen, but he's a little bit bigger than Josh.

• Like 1