The Outsider HBO

Michael Knight

• 2 months later...

Remember when the Aliens do come, and they will.  They'll not only bring themselves, their technology, their weapons, and their will.  But they'll also bring their own boogeymen too.  

This cast looks phenomenal, I'm gonna binge the first two tomorrow or Wednesday and catch up.  Is it just a one-season series deal or???

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Remember when the Aliens do come, and they will.  They'll not only bring themselves, their technology, their weapons, and their will.  But they'll also bring their own boogeymen too.  

This cast looks phenomenal, I'm gonna binge the first two tomorrow or Wednesday and catch up.  Is it just a one-season series deal or???

Daily Beast refers to it as a mini-series.  I haven't googled much more as I don't want to run into any spoilers.

Edited by DDD Dad

Yeah what I know of the source material it shouldn’t or couldn’t last longer than 10 episodes at best.  And HBO does short runs better than anyone.  

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes.

This is one of the few King books I haven’t read so I’m going in blind.

The cast is A+.

Bonus second episode was clutch. I'm not usually a fan of the actor who plays Ralph, but completely agree on the cast being A+. 

Holly Gibney coming in is going to turn this up, even if it's not the same path as the book. The actress is awesome and it looks like shit is about to go 4loko

47 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Bonus second episode was clutch. I'm not usually a fan of the actor who plays Ralph, but completely agree on the cast being A+. 

Holly Gibney coming in is going to turn this up, even if it's not the same path as the book. The actress is awesome and it looks like shit is about to go 4loko

Ben Mendelsohn is a fucking fantastic actor

• Like 4

Loving it, but agree that we may get hung out to dry in the end. Right now I can’t even understand how “creepy as fuck hooded overcoat guy” doesn’t raise an eyebrow in crowds.

The latest ep was pretty good, but damn that brought up a lot of questions that I don’t think we’ll ever get the answers to.

This show sure does remind me of True Detective.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:07 AM, MissingInAction said:

This is really bringing the feel of a Stephen King book to life. Surprised it isn't set in Maine.

The book is set in Oklahoma, with the ending in Texas.

I missed Episode 3, but was hooked after the first two. Stephen King film and TV adaptations are hit or miss for me, but HBO rarely fucks things up.

For those interested in some good reads, Holly Gibney’s character is a link from the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I thought the Episode was excellent. There's definitely an element of supernatural at play here & the new Private Investigator's perspective is a great prism, I think at least, to see that through.

The Maitland daughter staring at the mom while she slept crept me out. And her descriptions of her "visitor's" 4 different appearances adds to certain theories that are out there & could help explain the fingerprint belt buckle mystery being for the same person, only they're ancient years apart in age.

The alcoholic cop doesn't seem to be involved with Maitland's situation but looks ready to become the next victim/host himself!

I may have had too many adult bevs during the NFL games, but for some reason i failed to follow/understand the jailhouse subplot and where that fit into the episode. 

32 minutes ago, Horns RD Standard said:

I thought the Episode was excellent. There's definitely an element of supernatural at play here & the new Private Investigator's perspective is a great prism, I think at least, to see that through.

The Maitland daughter staring at the mom while she slept crept me out. And her descriptions of her "visitor's" 4 different appearances adds to certain theories that are out there & could help explain the fingerprint belt buckle mystery being for the same person, only they're ancient years apart in age.

The alcoholic cop doesn't seem to be involved with Maitland's situation but looks ready to become the next victim/host himself!

I may have had too many adult bevs during the NFL games, but for some reason i failed to follow/understand the jailhouse subplot and where that fit into the episode. 

The dude in the jail was in there for a double child murder, which Holly discovered in newspaper stories.  He was apparently a nurse/tech in the hospital where Terry Maitland's dad is a patient/resident.

The implication is that the boogeyman impersonated him and killed the children.  That is why the receptionist at the hospital assumed Holly was a reporter, as the police and press had been all over them when that happened, which was shortly before Terry arrived to visit his dad.

• Like 1

It's also an indicator of what brought the (I'll just call it the "entity") and Terry together, which allowed it to cut Terry, use his blood to manifest a duplicate* of Terry and head to Cherokee whatever to kill the little boy.

*At least I think that's what we're supposed to suspect.

47 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Would love for HBO to keep this going and produce the Mercedes trilogy, which would keep Holly Gibney’s character, who was first introduced in Mr. Mercedes.

Audience Network read your mind like a box score from 1985.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Mercedes_(TV_series)

We watched the first season, and I really enjoyed it, but while my wife was engrossed enough to finish the season, she found it too bleak to continue when S2 came around so I can't say how good the rest of it is. 

On 1/20/2020 at 10:21 AM, Js1 said:

Yeah I did not get that either 

So, at the end of Episode 3 after Holly is kicked out out of the hospital in Dayton, she is on her computer and finds a news story about a nurse from the hospital being arrested for the murder of two children with a picture of the black dude in the jail as the (accused) killer.  It was very easy to miss.

2 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Am I the only nerd who pulled the Cubs-Mets box score? Holly nailed it. Favorite b-plot baseball scene since Bunk and McNulty went to Camden Yards.

That scene was great world building from King. Letting the audience know that there are unexplainable things in the world, so of course there will be some good and some bad. 
similar to a universe with superpowers, there will be heroes and there will be villains. 

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Audience Network read your mind like a box score from 1985.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Mercedes_(TV_series)

We watched the first season, and I really enjoyed it, but while my wife was engrossed enough to finish the season, she found it too bleak to continue when S2 came around so I can't say how good the rest of it is. 

This is the first I've ever heard of audience network.  

37 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Am I the only nerd who pulled the Cubs-Mets box score? Holly nailed it. Favorite b-plot baseball scene since Bunk and McNulty went to Camden Yards.

I was watching Back to the Future on cable recently and noticed  a scene when Biff is driving/listening to the radio, and a broadcaster reports some college football scores. There's a Texas score mentioned. I looked up the '55 season and sadly confirmed "Texas Christian over Texas, forty-seven to twenty" on 11/12/55 was indeed accurate.

Anyone know if Charlie Strong drives a DeLorean?

On 1/13/2020 at 12:10 AM, Bama Chick said:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes.

This is one of the few King books I haven’t read so I’m going in blind.

The cast is A+.

First two episodes were excellent. Very dark, deliberate, creepy. I think Bateman is credited as the director. Kudos. He really takes his time telling the story. 

The first two were definitely not formulaic, the third, not so much. I can see it falling into the same trap as a lot of these types of series: too many characters - and there are always a couple you are just plain not interested in, too many adjacent stories such that the main mystery begins to lose its impact. I hope they can correct this in episode 4

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch