The Outsider HBO

Michael Knight

Just now, RomaVicta said:

I like it, but we seem to be jumping up and down in the same place.

Ralph sees only what he wants to see. Everybody is skeptical about the Dayton detective. Let's move forward.

That's my main and really only complaint - the pacing.  The first two episodes went full throttle and now we're devoting 5 minutes of screen time to a bus ride.  

So I guess at present El Cuco is morphing into the strip club dude who's on parole?  (Paddy Considine).  As he got scratched by Cuco in his Terry Maitland costume.

Curious what the significance will be of the cut Paddy sustained during the bar fight.

Guessing Cuco won't have the cut, and that'll establish that they're not the same individual.  Maybe?

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 7:31 AM, bschoolprof said:

I don't think I can overstate how important Dream On was for world class titty scenes for impressionable young men in the pre-internet era.  I'm pretty sure it's slated to be selected for preservation by the US National TV and Film Registry as being culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.  

Eddie Charles was a pretty great character too.

Enjoying this. Watched the first episode a few weeks ago and binged 2-4 last night. Have not read the book.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, RomaVicta said:

I like it, but we seem to be jumping up and down in the same place.

Ralph sees only what he wants to see. Everybody is skeptical about the Dayton detective. Let's move forward.

I was perplexed by Ralph being dismissive of his wife's encounter. I kept wondering, "is he trying to placate her or something?"

I guess I'm having trouble tracking his level of open-mindedness vs. his skepticism. All the weird shit he's seen plus the hiring of Molly seemed to suggest some growing level of open-mindedness. But in the last episode, Ralph seemed to be about where he was in episode 1. Except he's also convinced Terry is innocent, I guess?

• Like 2

I was perplexed by Ralph being dismissive of his wife's encounter. I kept wondering, "is he trying to placate her or something?"
I guess I'm having trouble tracking his level of open-mindedness vs. his skepticism. All the weird shit he's seen plus the hiring of Molly seemed to suggest some growing level of open-mindedness. But in the last episode, Ralph seemed to be about where he was in episode 1. Except he's also convinced Terry is innocent, I guess?

You ever watch a really good magician/mind reader? You know it’s an act, but you cant figure out how it works. Ralph hasnt figured out the trick yet.

23 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I know nothing of the book, so I'm just guessing not spoiling.

Because Ralph seems so smart, I hwonder if his reluctance to support his lwife comes from guilty knowledge about his own son's death that he hasn't shared or if he is actually complicit in some way with covering up something after the fact.

6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

So what was going on there at the end when Det. Savant had the nightmare that Menacing Possessed Redneck Cop shot and killed her, appeared to wake up, surveyed her surroundings, and then was somehow further terrified? 

maybe the realization that the malevolent being has gotten into her dreams,  Freddy Krueger style... like that asian lady with the newborn

This last episode was the worst.  They are just stalling at this point.   

This pacing would be OK for a binge show on netflix where you can just skip ahead to the next episode. But for an appointment TV show, they need compelling story advancement each week.  I wonder if Bateman et al have lost sight of that.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why they didn't put an APB out on the dude wearing the Edgar suit once they had the actual guy accounted for. 

Blowhard brother is going to fuck something up before this story is over. 

What kind of lunatics would attend Cavestock for 14 straight years?! 

I really hope someone makes an El Caca joke. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Curious how they handle the old man that grabbed Cuco.  Seems as though they went out of the way to show him scratched.  Strip club guy off the hook with the police unaware.

Did they explicitly show a scratch? 

Does El Caca (or SniperCop) know that the rest of the crew has locked in on Strip Club Guy as the next to be cloned and framed? 

Interesting idea either way though. 

I'm afraid we've entered the phase of Stephen King works where the more out-in-the-open the supernatural bit gets, the sillier the whole thing becomes. Also none of these characters is very likable anymore. Maybe the cop that has the crush on Gibney, but that's on a path to end with some sort of cringeworthy connection.

And sorry if this is mean but imo the show would be exactly the same without Ralph having a dead kid, especially now that his coach Bateman has been gone so long.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:19 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

Good last half hour.  There were about a dozen things that could have gone wrong with the plotting/forced conflict that would have pissed me off (the Bolton’s sneaking out, for instance). But this show is in damn good hands with Richard Price.  

i guess i'm kind of lost.  they had 6 cops surrounding claude to keep him from becoming the next host, and he becomes the next host anyway without any of them seeing it?  what was the point of them making the drive if there's nothing they can do to stop it?

11 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i guess i'm kind of lost.  they had 6 cops surrounding claude to keep him from becoming the next host, and he becomes the next host anyway without any of them seeing it?  what was the point of them making the drive if there's nothing they can do to stop it?

They had no way of stopping it.

They were just there to prove he was nowhere near what happened.

22 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I don’t understand.  did you watch the previous episodes?  

22 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

so whats the point of the whole thing if they cant stop it?  they didn't need to make the trip at all if all they wanted to do was prove his alibi.  they could have left him in jail.  

Or they could have tattooed "Fartface McGee" on his forehead, or cut of his arm, or killed him - all if which are other unconstitutional, unpleasant, and inconvenient ways to distinguish him from El Caca. 

so then we all agree this show has gone stephen king stupid.  it was pretty decent as a crime show but has now jumped the shark.  

Don’t lump me in with the guy that somehow overlooked the main plot point and thinks this has ever been a crime show.

I’m enjoying the hell out of this show. Doesn’t mean I’m not preparing myself for a disappointing conclusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

so then we all agree this show has gone stephen king stupid.  it was pretty decent as a crime show but has now jumped the shark.  

Don’t lump me in with the guy that somehow overlooked the main plot point and thinks this has ever been a crime show.

I’m enjoying the hell out of this show. Doesn’t mean I’m not preparing myself for a disappointing conclusion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Don’t lump me in with the guy that somehow overlooked the main plot point and thinks this has ever been a crime show. emoji23.png

well the main plot point is stupid, so that makes the show stupid.  how many cops does it take to prove a loser strip joint manager's alibi? way too fucking many. and why didn't they bring sleeping bags or blankets?  it seems like quite an imposition on a guy who doesn't even like cops.  and one other thing.  the local cops released claude in the other cops custody.  so why did they all have to flash badges at each other?  and don't even get me going on caveapalooza. 

40 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

well the main plot point is stupid, so that makes the show stupid.  how many cops does it take to prove a loser strip joint manager's alibi? way too fucking many. and why didn't they bring sleeping bags or blankets?  it seems like quite an imposition on a guy who doesn't even like cops.  and one other thing.  the local cops released claude in the other cops custody.  so why did they all have to flash badges at each other?  and don't even get me going on caveapalooza. 

You must be surfing the internet while watching this show

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

It's alright to not like the show, but a few hours ago you didn't even have an understanding for how the premise even works, and now you are bagging on sleeping bags and blankets.  They are chasing a supernatural being that can transform himself into other people and eat kids.  This isn't a whodunit crime drama. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's alright to not like the show, but a few hours ago you didn't even have an understanding for how the premise even works, and now you are bagging on sleeping bags and blankets.  They are chasing a supernatural being that can transform himself into other people and eat kids.  This isn't a whodunit crime drama. 

i dont often understand stupid premises. i'm okay with escapism and fantasy and suspense, and i'll keep watching, but i'll keep laughing and making fun of it at the same time.

I'm enjoying the show no matter the little issues.  I thought the book was great, so it's cool to see it brought to life.

And has anyone else made the connection with the actor who plays Claude Bolton? 

spacer.png

Same guy as our favorite molesting priest from Peaky Blinders, Father John Hughes.

spacer.png

Paddy Considine

4 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

To prove he didn't do it. And prove to themselves and the skeptics on their side that El Cuco is real, even if they didn't want to belief it. Now it's time to all be on the same page and kill da motherfucker. 

4 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

since nobody seems to be answering your question.. the reason Claude is "cloned" even though they had 6 cops around him is El cuco scratched claude in the Strip club while el cuco was still Terry Maitland right after he had eaten the first child. The Scratch to "mark" Claude as the next host happens in the first episode essentially.. he was scratched and El Cuco's transformation into Claude has been occurring over every episode .. its why its face still looked deformed in the screen shot they showed Ralph at the house..

• Like 1