The Outsider HBO

Michael Knight

On 3/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, Red Five said:

Underground caves freak me out. Much more so as of an hour ago.

So did he scratch Santa or not?

So you probably would have no interest in traversing the great expectations cave, which includes a fun little section known as the “grim crawl of death” in which you shimmy on your back for about 400 yards through a space 18-24 inches tall, with ice cold river water flowing against you and taking up the lower 12-15 inches of that space?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So you probably would have no interest in traversing the great expectations cave, which includes a fun little section known as the “grim crawl of death” in which you shimmy on your back for about 400 yards through a space 18-24 inches tall, with ice cold river water flowing against you and taking up the lower 12-15 inches of that space?

As a lifelong claustrophobe, I can confidently say el cuco is quite safe from me if he hides out in the great expectations cave.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:01 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

W.t.f.

I would rather take a road trip with El Cuco.

HBO has mastered the slow burn of a series episode 1-9. Then rushing it in the finale. Maybe nor rushed here..but too neat. That’s it? Shotty to the chest? Couldn’t we get some back and forth fighting or something? Maybe chase Cuco?

Confused by Holly
-why did she say “who is Terry?” early on in the cave? Was she changing into Cuco..?

-how and who scratched her? Cuco didn’t seem to when she stabbed him. Maybe real Claude did when she carried him out of the cave? Cuco used regular Claude really quick before he was killed..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Well, that tied it up in a nice bow.

Season finale or series finale?

Richard Price is working on S2 but renewal is HBO’s call.

I’m ride or die for any Wire alum, but I expect more from Simon/Burns when The Plot Against America takes this time slot next week.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I read the book and gave up on the show around episode 4 because they changed so much. Sounds like I made a good choice. 

Have the book (haven't read it yet) and I haven't watched the show, but I'm guessing the TV series is a lot different than the book?

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

There appeared to be two ghosts looking at Ralph in the cave, one was his son. Who was the other? Or did my wife and I just imagine the 2nd one?

I read that the second kid was older bro of Frankie Peterson.  He was the one that killed Terry when walking in custody with Ralph.

5 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

I read that the second kid was older bro of Frankie Peterson.  He was the one that killed Terry when walking in custody with Ralph.

Yeah, that's what we thought as well. The After The Episode featurette only highlighted Ralph's son standing there and didn't mention the other ghost. 

I don't know what I was expecting or hoping for, but I found the ending pretty unsatisfying. 

I can't believe that there wasn't a "which dude is the El Cuco" standoff or final plot twist. 

Enjoyed it well enough, and would probably watch a second season, but I don't feel like anyone really needs more of this. 

What a complete let down. After a very solid season of tension and build up...the finale just sucked. Jack shooting everyone was the big problem to overcome? Even in the cave, they wouldn’t shoot the devil because the roof would fall in? Wouldn’t that self sacrifice be the easiest call to make after knowing what this thing could do? Then, in the end, El Cuoco was killed so easily it was funny. So disappointed. 

• Like 1

If El cuco can mind control folks to do his bidding, why not just have them bring him babies/kids to eat?  Or, better yet, just control the kids and lead them to his belly? What's the point of the DNA copying?

The finale was a real doozy.  I'm pretty sure Benioff and Weiss helped write the episode.  We had:

- An attacking, random rattlesnake.  As a Texan, I can say it's pretty common for rattlesnakes to just crawl out of nowhere and attack people. Repeatedly. That's the way most bites occur.

- The payoff to  the needless people-trapped-in-a-cave side story was to establish that these caves can collapse

- El cuco conveniently hiding out in the caves to give us the cliched "don't shoot or you'll kill us all" finale.  Except the irishman does shoot and everything is OK. Great, glad we had that backstory.  

- El Cuco being interrogated by the autistic detective but not really knowing the answers to anything. Cool.  Great resolution.  

- El Cuco being killed easily.  Cool.

- 30 more minutes of shit you can just skip over.  

Dreadful.  

It was a letdown and I didnt even mind the epilogue. The problems start with the sniper scene. All the non-essential characters get wacked and even thinking they had the element of surprise they should’ve accounted for the sniper (or tried to). Three dudes just sacrificed themselves stupidly.

Random snake was dumb - or if the psychic pain thing triggers animals, maybe show a dog growling at his ass.

I dont mind not knowing what the fuck El Cuco was. A complete reveal never works for realistic sci-fi.

What would have worked is showing how hard those caves were to navigate and have El Cuco do something tricky, but have Holly Gibney use her powers to navigate the caves. But that would have been hard. Better to just smash.

I’m putting the blame on HBO for stretching the series past its natural storytelling so they could get more episodes. It was a little uneven.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

It was a letdown and I didnt even mind the epilogue. The problems start with the sniper scene. All the non-essential characters get wacked and even thinking they had the element of surprise they should’ve accounted for the sniper (or tried to). Three dudes just sacrificed themselves stupidly.

Random snake was dumb - or if the psychic pain thing triggers animals, maybe show a dog growling at his ass.

I dont mind not knowing what the fuck El Cuco was. A complete reveal never works for realistic sci-fi.

What would have worked is showing how hard those caves were to navigate and have El Cuco do something tricky, but have Holly Gibney use her powers to navigate the caves. But that would have been hard. Better to just smash.

I’m putting the blame on HBO for stretching the series past its natural storytelling so they could get more episodes. It was a little uneven.

They definitely stretched the last episode past it’s natural storytelling.  I think they had 20 minutes of story to tell and then filler for the last 30 minutes.  As far as the snake goes I figured El Cucko controlled it or something like that and made the snake bite him because he was disobeying.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

They definitely stretched the last episode past it’s natural storytelling.  I think they had 20 minutes of story to tell and then filler for the last 30 minutes.  As far as the snake goes I figured El Cucko controlled it or something like that and made the snake bite him because he was disobeying.

if anything, i don't think it was because he was disobeying.  pretty sure he wanted to meet Holly.  and that's a big part of the reason her dude was shot up and killed.  that was personal.  he wanted to take that away from her.  the scene of Holly standing behind fire and staring as if she doesn't give a fuck what happens to her cements this for me.  think she said "it is time" (to meet Cuco) in that scene.

someone up-thread implied that Holly was the outsider.  I woudn't say she was THE outsider, but definitely an outsider.  so, there could be more than one was my take away.

Edited by Hmmm

16 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

if anything, i don't think it was because he was disobeying.  pretty sure he wanted to meet Holly.  and that's a big part of the reason her dude was shot up and killed.  that was personal.  he wanted to take that away from her.  the scene of Holly standing behind fire and staring as if she doesn't give a fuck what happens to her cements this for me.  think she said "it is time" (to meet Cuco) in that scene.

edit - don't care to rewatch but I remember the shooter had Holly in his sights at one point.  not sure if that coincided with the snake, but if so, the snake was a distraction.

someone up-thread implied that Holly was the outsider.  I woudn't say she was THE outsider, but definitely an outsider.  so, there could be more than one was my take away.

Yea I would have liked to know more on how and why Cuco goes through all that trouble to copy DNA of someone to frame them for murders. Seems like a lot of work. All we learned was (by Holly) that Cuco loves grief and is attracted to it. He likes causing family grief...I guess that would be the reason for copying.

Still killed lil too easily and we hardly got much info from him. Typically the bad guy reveals his whole existence and plan before dying lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wikipedia summary makes it out like it really was as simple as it looked - they found him, they killed him. But definitely a season 2 hook in a mid-credits scene which I did not watch:

Spoiler

Howard, Claude, and Seale arrive at the scene; Seale charges Jack and is shot and killed. Andy attempts to drive away for help but Jack shoots him as well, then shoots the gas tank; Howard tries to rescue Andy but Jack ignites the gasoline, killing both Andy and Howard. When the entity commands Jack to kill Holly, Jack refuses. He approaches the others, begs them to kill the entity, then commits suicide. Ralph and Holly enter the cave and find the entity, who expresses disbelief that Holly discovered the truth about it but offers few details otherwise. Claude enters and shoots the entity, causing the cave to collapse; the entity is impaled by falling debris. Before the three exit the cave, Ralph returns to the entity and berates it, witnessing it attempt to transform before he crushes its head with a rock. Yunis contacts Hayes and implicates Jack and the entity. Claude and the investigators, with help from Jeannie and Glory, coordinate their stories. Hayes holds a press conference to exonerate Terry and re-open Frankie's case. In a mid-credits scene, Holly is shown to have the same cut on her arm that the entity gave to its other victims.

I didn't watch that.  I was barely paying attention during the last half of the show, so I certainly wasn't sticking around once credits started rolling.  I will say that a season 2 continuation of this current story arc doesn't interest me.  The best episodes were the first few were it was still a mystery.  Once el cuco was revealed for what he is the episodes weren't as good.  

On 3/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, utxmike05 said:

Confused by Holly
-why did she say “who is Terry?” early on in the cave?

-how and who scratched her? Cuco didn’t seem to when she stabbed him. Maybe real Claude did when she carried him out of the cave?

these are my two biggest questions.  can a bookfag clear this up for the rest of us please?  @South Austin

On 3/9/2020 at 10:43 PM, utxmike05 said:

Still killed lil too easily

not sure he’s dead. 

• Like 1