Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Ordered pick up from Olivella's for the first time tonight in the 7th months I've lived in Lakewood. Not sure you could fuck up an order for two pizzas as bad as they did. Pizza I finally received 40 minutes after I arrived to pick up tasted good but the price was laughable for such a tiny pizza. Would order Cane Rosso (or Pizzeria Testa) 100 out of 100 times if I wanted Napoletana style.

Yeah I tried that place twice.  Did not get and the draw at all.  Some people love it.  I thought it was pure shit both times.

6 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s right up the street from me but I’ve been only once. Wasn’t impressed but it wasn’t horrible.

I'm guessing it's another one of those places that was great when they just had one location.  Then they expanded with other locations and their quality went to shit across the board.  Happens all the time

• 3 months later...

Had Grimaldi’s last night for the first time since the pandemic began. Holy shit it was horrible. Showed up ice cold so maybe that’s on GrubHub (not sure who to direct my scathing review at - probably both). Didn’t seem like it would have been worth a shit even if it was hot. Almost no cheese despite paying for extra cheese. Really bad slicing (one of the pieces was about ⅓ of the pizza). And really inconsistent topping placement, which all tasted really fake and processed. Felt pretty shitty after eating that garbage.

May need to be done with all the delivery services for good though. Way more bad than good experiences with them and they’re getting stupid expensive. 2 medium really shitty 2 topping pizzas were $75 after all the fees. Eff that shit

17 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Had Grimaldi’s last night for the first time since the pandemic began. Holy shit it was horrible. Showed up ice cold so maybe that’s on GrubHub (not sure who to direct my scathing review at - probably both). Didn’t seem like it would have been worth a shit even if it was hot. Almost no cheese despite paying for extra cheese. Really bad slicing (one of the pieces was about ⅓ of the pizza). And really inconsistent topping placement, which all tasted really fake and processed. Felt pretty shitty after eating that garbage.

May need to be done with all the delivery services for good though. Way more bad than good experiences with them and they’re getting stupid expensive. 2 medium really shitty 2 topping pizzas were $75 after all the fees. Eff that shit

ZaLat wasn't very good the last two times I picked up from there either. Not sure what's going on.

Got Bona the other night and it was spectacular. Guess it helps when it's about 6-7 houses down from my place -- doesn't have to travel very far.

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

ZaLat wasn't very good the last two times I picked up from there either. Not sure what's going on.

Got Bona the other night and it was spectacular. Guess it helps when it's about 6-7 houses down from my place -- doesn't have to travel very far.

Yeah, Bona has been really solid the last few times we've gotten it. Might just have to make that our go-to and stop trying other stuff. Not sure why I always get a wandering eye on pizza, but I do. Grass isn't always greener and shit.

And yeah, ZaLat is out of our rotation probably for good. Pure garbage the last few times.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:15 AM, C-Man said:

I go ahead and pre-heat my oven when I order ZaLat bc no matter what, I always have a cold pizza when it arrives. Every. Goddamn. Time 

I may need to do as Lando suggested and stop being a lazy fuck and quit using delivery services. They've all been shitty and it started way before the pandemic. 

Looks like I need to go grab Bona from the sounds of it. Also Thunderbird pies should have their standalone b&m up and running soon so I can eat a hot one this time. 

On 7/27/2021 at 12:06 PM, Landomatic said:

Might just have to make that our go-to and stop trying other stuff. Not sure why I always get a wandering eye on pizza, but I do. Grass isn't always greener and shit.

Well, here's another new spot from the guys behind Pie Tap Pizza.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/pt-neighborhood-pizzeria-dallas-12138695?fbclid=IwAR3MBJv_KSAzRTkrqWvbpgEjCBS-d-iHWVdj77ZmdBR-EZjMg9UoeVxV89Y

Every neighborhood needs a great pizza joint and one such place has recently opened in the Medical District/Love Field area of Dallas. PT Neighborhood Pizzeria is not an ordinary pizza joint, but a fast-casual offshoot of Pie Tap Pizza Workshop + Bar, which has been slinging pies, sandwiches, salads, pasta and brunch around the area since 2016.

When you think of a fast-casual restaurant, it often means standing in line to place your order, grab a drink and then find your table. At PT Neighborhood Pizzeria, they’ve elevated this concept through their innovative ordering system. Instead of standing in line to place your order, you order and pay using your phone at your table, at your convenience. Servers deliver food and drinks and, if you’d like to order something else, you just add it to your order via your phone and it magically appears a few minutes later.

So, you might be wondering, why another pizza joint? It’s as if the pizza gods favor Dallasites and conspired on how they could bring a high-quality slice of pizza and gourmet salads and sandwiches to your table in a New York minute. After hours of brainstorming, they high-fived, belly bumped and gave birth to a baby called PT Neighborhood Pizzeria.

And don’t worry, you little Pie Tap diehards, they use the same four-ingredient, 96-hour badass dough used at the original restaurant, but they’ve added six new specialty pies and over 40 ingredients to choose from. Some unique topping choices include goat cheese, roasted poblanos, eggplant and fontina cheese. Whole pies come in 14, 18 or 24 inches (otherwise known as the “Big AF” pie). Gluten-free crusts? Check.

RELATED STORIES

BBQ Road Trip: Sunbird Barbecue Is An Instant Classic in Longview

Dallas Chefs Pitch in for RMHD Cookbook, and It's a Gem

Best Breakfasts in Dallas

I SUPPORT

LOCAL

COMMUNITY

JOURNALISM

SUPPORT THE INDEPENDENT VOICE OF DALLAS AND HELP KEEP THE FUTURE OF DALLAS OBSERVER FREE.

SUPPORT US

The place seats about 50, and it's buzzing like the planes flying overhead from Love Field. Food and drinks come out quickly. Looking around, you can see it’s built for scale in a strip center — likely coming soon to a place near you. In fact, they already have plans to expand to 10 to 12 more locations over the next few years. This particular location is a perfect stop if you want to grab a bite before heading to Love Field and avoid being forced to overpay for mediocre food and drinks once you’re through TSA Security.

Pepperoni puffs served with organic tomato sauce and garlic mascarpone cheese ($10). 

PT Neighborhood Pizzeria

For starters, the pepperoni puffs (pictured above) are made with their legendary dough recipe, naturally leavened with a proprietary starter. They’re loaded with a ton of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese and each roll is topped with garlic, butter and Parmesan cheese. These are served with a side of organic tomato sauce and their garlic mascarpone sauce for dipping.

For those looking for a healthier option, there are several salads available as well as a vegetarian specialty pizza loaded with cherry tomatoes, olives, spinach, eggplant, onions, bell peppers, broccoli florets and mushrooms.

The Classic Italian Combo with prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, ham, fontina, hot peppers, Calabrian chili aioli, tomato, lettuce, and Italian dressing ($12). 

Angie Quebedeaux

The Classic Italian Combo sandwich is served on their homemade bread and is layered with prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, ham, fontina, hot peppers, Calabrian chili aioli, tomatoes, lettuce and Italian Dressing. The combination of the spicy Calabrian chili aioli and hot peppers with the tanginess of the Italian dressing and the multiple layers of cured meats and cheese is mind-blowing.

Unlike Pie Tap, PT Neighborhood Pizzeria does not serve pasta, but they do have beer, wine and cocktails available with happy hour specials during the week.

During lunch, you can get a one-topping slice of pizza with your choice of Parmesan fries or a salad for only $9. Also, get your weekend suspenders ready because a little bird told us they are planning to offer some brunch options in the near future. Follow them on Facebook and Instagram to keep up with the latest news and specials.

PT Neighborhood Pizzeria, 5715 Lemmon Ave., #3 (Love Field), 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday-Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday-Saturday

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

The couple times we tried Pie Tap it was pretty meh, but location is handy so I guess we’ll give it a go.

Nikis Italian Bistro. Wylie.  
I am no expert but I do like their pizza. 
It is thin, but crispy. Not so hot that crust is burnt. Crispy on bottom, yet chewy on rest of crust. 
I feel this is the way crust is supposed to be but I don’t  know how pizza is supposed to be according to experts. 

compared to a smoker it is microscopic. Also I use it at about an 8 to 1 ratio to my smoker these days. My wife and kids (and myself) much prefer Neapolitan pizza over brisket and ribs. 

I hear you but between my BGE and Weber gas grill there’s just no room for another appliance on my small porch.

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Anyone try Slices yet? Keeps popping up on a few sites. Owned by a (supposed) former mob guy. Which might be all marketing and schtick.

https://www.slicesusa.com

We had some friends go and they did not like it at all.

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I bought an Ooni Koda for $349. Cane Rosso quality in my backyard with about 15 minutes of prep work (I cheat and buy dough at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s). Game changer. 

https://ooni.com/products/ooni-koda

I want one of these badly.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:20 AM, TankedBevo said:

I go ahead and pre-heat my oven when I order ZaLat bc no matter what, I always have a cold pizza when it arrives. Every. Goddamn. Time 

I may need to do as Lando suggested and stop being a lazy fuck and quit using delivery services. They've all been shitty and it started way before the pandemic. 

Looks like I need to go grab Bona from the sounds of it. Also Thunderbird pies should have their standalone b&m up and running soon so I can eat a hot one this time. 

Picked up ZaLat Saturday night.  It was quite good.  I think the key is to pick it up yourself.

Picked up ZaLat Saturday night.  It was quite good.  I think the key is to pick it up yourself.

I don’t do any food delivery services unless the restaurant handles it themselves. The last two Za Lat pickups by me were not good.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:01 PM, C-Man said:

Tried this last night. I'll be damned...we were really pleasantly surprised. If they can keep up that level of quality, it will likely be our new go-to.

Although Bona has been pretty solid lately, it just has so much grease and we always feel pretty shitty afterward. This PT place just tasted fresher and better all the way around. Way better than what I remember from the couple times we tried the Pie Tap location over on Knox/Henderson. Felt a little more Italian and a little less greek, which I prefer. And they were a lot nicer and seemed to have their shit together more at PT than Bona (that place is consistently rude and often incompetent).

I went and picked it up myself since it's so close to the house, plus their delivery is through GrubHub (or whatever) and fuck that shit. So it was piping hot when I got it home. Space was just like the name says and felt more like a small neighborhood pizza joint than a large restaurant/bar that serves pizza that is Pie Tap. It was a pretty cool little spot and there were a couple tables of people eating there. Plus you can apparently get it all by the slice, so I would definitely eat there for lunch or dinner.

I got the Carnivore. According to the menu, it was supposed to have calabrian peppers, but I didn't see any, which was fine because I almost held them anyway...

ZQxmtr.jpg

Wife got the Chicken Bacon Alfredo. I'm more of a purist when it comes to pizza and don't usually like tricked up fufu pizzas like that, but it was really outstanding...

GNdYpY.jpg

Only complaint overall is that they don't take their toppings quite far enough to the edge so you get a pretty big crust. Luckily their crust is great though, so not a huge deal. And we ordered 3 dipping sauces and they only gave us one, but they didn't charge us for any of them, so whatever. I guess the delivery guy should have checked the order a little closer.

Will definitely eat again.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Tried this last night. I'll be damned...we were really pleasantly surprised. If they can keep up that level of quality, it will likely be our new go-to.

Although Bona has been pretty solid lately, it just has so much grease and we always feel pretty shitty afterward. This PT place just tasted fresher and better all the way around. Way better than what I remember from the couple times we tried the Pie Tap location over on Knox/Henderson. Felt a little more Italian and a little less greek, which I prefer. And they were a lot nicer and seemed to have their shit together more at PT than Bona (that place is consistently rude and often incompetent).

I went and picked it up myself since it's so close to the house, plus their delivery is through GrubHub (or whatever) and fuck that shit. So it was piping hot when I got it home. Space was just like the name says and felt more like a small neighborhood pizza joint than a large restaurant/bar that serves pizza that is Pie Tap. It was a pretty cool little spot and there were a couple tables of people eating there. Plus you can apparently get it all by the slice, so I would definitely eat there for lunch or dinner.

I got the Carnivore. According to the menu, it was supposed to have calabrian peppers, but I didn't see any, which was fine because I almost held them anyway...

ZQxmtr.jpg

Wife got the Chicken Bacon Alfredo. I'm more of a purist when it comes to pizza and don't usually like tricked up fufu pizzas like that, but it was really outstanding...

GNdYpY.jpg

Only complaint overall is that they don't take their toppings quite far enough to the edge so you get a pretty big crust. Luckily their crust is great though, so not a huge deal. And we ordered 3 dipping sauces and they only gave us one, but they didn't charge us for any of them, so whatever. I guess the delivery guy should have checked the order a little closer.

I went and ate lunch there on Friday. I got their lunch deal, an enormous slice of pizza and side (salad or truffle fries). I thought it was really good.

• 2 weeks later...
ZQxmtr.jpg
GNdYpY.jpg

I was going to make a homemade Detroit style pizza tonight for the kids and I. A lot of shit was happening this afternoon all at the same time and I either fucked up the measurements for the dough or my yeast or something else was bad. Mrs. C-Man opined it might've been too humid in the house with the pup running in and out and swimming in the pool all afternoon. For whatever reason, the dough just didn't come together right in the Kitchen Aid mixer and didn't rise like normal.

So I pulled the ripcord and picked up PT Neighborhood Pizza. Got two of the 14-inch pies -- plain cheese for my daughter (son had a piece) and the Carnivore for my son and I. I also added in the Garlic Knots and Pepperoni Puffs because I didn't get to try those when I stopped in for lunch one day a couple weeks back. I have to say it was quite good. The Garlic Knots and Puffs were just OK -- the Puffs were the better call of the two. I thought the pizza was good. I think I like Bona better but the grease can be too much some times. Much, much better than the last few ZaLat runs. (BTW, [mention=275]Landomatic[/mention], I asked about the Calabrian chili and the guy I talked to on the phone said it's just Calabrian Chili oil that they drizzle on at some point for flavor. I think the pizzas were $11/apiece so hella good deals there.

3e9e66dca60dbaa38c32e0e4f1584e79.jpg

f1681310f6ada0a3cdfae292543d6bf0.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Did a large Rustica pizza (the one with Jimmy's sausage on it) at the Loon with a friend watching the Cowboys game last night.  Added pepperoni and garlic at the server's suggestion.  Perfect. 

Little-known fact is that Monday nights are half-price pizza nights at The Loon.  Good times.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

Get your ass over to the Prince St pizza pop up at Deep Ellum Distillery (2880 Clover) this next week. Went to a special event for Off the Menu members tonight and their Pepperoni slice was one of the top 5 slices I’ve had in my life.  

https://dallas.eater.com/platform/amp/2021/10/20/22736829/prince-street-pizza-pop-up-restaurant-dallas-deep-ellum-distillery

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Anyone been to Mimi’s? Chick on Insta has been pimping it lately, pics look good. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CahzSUrFy-B/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/MimisPizzeriaDallas/

Yeah, I went 7 or 8 years ago when I was looking for a NY style place. Didn’t blow my socks off but if I lived nearby it would probably be in the rotation. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:56 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Anyone been to Mimi’s? Chick on Insta has been pimping it lately, pics look good. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CahzSUrFy-B/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/MimisPizzeriaDallas/

On 3/1/2022 at 7:30 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah, I went 7 or 8 years ago when I was looking for a NY style place. Didn’t blow my socks off but if I lived nearby it would probably be in the rotation. 

Same here, but it’s been in the last couple years. It was okay. Nothing great, nothing horrible. I was whelmed.

They use 3rd party delivery services so I won’t ever order them again. I’ve boycotted all of them. Worst experience ever and, from what I hear, they are raping these restaurants with no lube…although, the restaurants are the ones choosing to use them, so it’s hard to be too sympathetic.

Dominos got my business (for the big chains) as they’ve outwardly campaigned against delivery services. And Bona has their own delivery people, so I get them now if I don’t feel like a chain.

tl;dr - FUCK 3rd part delivery services

• Like 1

In Arlington at i20 and Little Rd is Corky’s Pizza. It’s wood fired New Haven style pizza; the owner moved down here as his wife is from here. He grew up working at Frank Pepe’s Apizza in New Haven which is often recognized as one of the top pizzerias in the country. It’s fantastic.

One of my other favorites is i Fratelli. It’s a hell of a pizza.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

In Arlington at i20 and Little Rd is Corky’s Pizza. It’s wood fired New Haven style pizza; the owner moved down here as his wife is from here. He grew up working at Frank Pepe’s Apizza in New Haven which is often recognized as one of the top pizzerias in the country. It’s fantastic.

wait-what-gif.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Damn, apparently I need to open a pizza place in Arlington. If i Fratelli is considered a hell of a pizza there.

• 3 weeks later...