Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

My three favorites continue to be Cane Rosso, Za Lat and Bona. Like Lando, will definitely check out the new Nick Badovinus pizza joint at HP Village when it opens.

My top 3 as well and it's not even close.  If there's another pizza that belongs in the top 3, I haven't tried it yet.

And BTW, the Nick Badovinus pizza joint at HP Village is open.  Dinner only and no to-go orders right now.  Haven't made it over there yet, but for some reason I'm really not expecting their Pizza to be all that great.  Maybe I'll be surprised, but something just tells me it will be more about the scene there than the actual food.  Kind of like Honor Bar maybe?

21 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

My top 3 as well and it's not even close.  If there's another pizza that belongs in the top 3, I haven't tried it yet.

And BTW, the Nick Badovinus pizza joint at HP Village is open.  Dinner only and no to-go orders right now.  Haven't made it over there yet, but for some reason I'm really not expecting their Pizza to be all that great.  Maybe I'll be surprised, but something just tells me it will be more about the scene there than the actual food.  Kind of like Honor Bar maybe?

You're probably right but Fireside Pies has pretty good food. I imagine this will be similar.

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You're probably right but Fireside Pies has pretty good food. I imagine this will be similar.

He mentioned something about Fireside Pies in a recent article I read.  Did he have something to do with that?

“We wanted the pizza to be light,” Badovinus says. “But we still wanted the flavor and vibrancy.”

The team opted for a style that differs from Fireside Pies’s pillowy, generous Neapolitan style. “[Perfect Union is] a little bit more restrained and tailored,” Badovinus says. “It’s more of a New World style,” crisp, but still with a bit of chew—“a pizza that can really carry its own weight.”

Went to Nick’s new place Perfect Union Pizza last night in HP village. It was fun watching him work the line while catching the end of the masters. Food was fantastic. Love the pizzas.  Thin, but crispy crust with really good toppings. Pasta was spot on too. Like most of his restaurants, it’s loud and vibrant. This place will do very very well.   I’d put it above Cane Russo, which is saying something  

His vodoo sauce is still one of my favorite things ever created. 

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

Went to Nick’s new place Perfect Union Pizza last night in HP village. It was fun watching him work the line while catching the end of the masters. Food was fantastic. Love the pizzas.  Thin, but crispy crust with really good toppings. Pasta was spot on too. Like most of his restaurants, it’s loud and vibrant. This place will do very very well.   I’d put it above Cane Russo, which is saying something  

His vodoo sauce is still one of my favorite things ever created. 

This is great to hear.  I probably eat in HPV 2-3 meals a week so I’m ready for some more good options.

Never really over on y'alls side of the world. On my side, I like Tony's and PIzza Getti. Tony's has NY style pizza that folds nicely. Their 2 slice + drink special for $4.99 is a hell of a deal considering the two slices are the size of a small pizza. You also get a basket of knots. Pizza Getti is a place I've been going to since I was a kid. It's in a shitty area but it's some great pizza. If you're ever east of White Rock Lake, give them a try.

This may belong on the "unpopular opinions" thread but pizza to me is local.  I won't drive around town for pizza.  I did that once for Cane Rosso.  It was damn good pizza, but not so incrementally better than what I can get within a mile from my house to make it worth it.   The other exception is a destination.  We will get pizza at Olivella's in Victory when we are going to a game and it's also damn good.

So, for me, it's Cibo Divo (real Italian guy making it, brick oven, perfect crust, simple, fresh ingredients, nice patio bar, other food is great too, especially the 44 Farms steaks that are cut to order and Daniele's pastas), Nova (walking distance, perfect neighborhood bar, excellent pizzas, especially the Jimmy's three meat pie, but the simple tomato pie with the balsamic drizzle is a favorite) and Enos (different because the crust is cracker thin, but the toppings are fresh and remarkably good...because the crust is so thin, I can eat more!)

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

This may belong on the "unpopular opinions" thread but pizza to me is local.  I won't drive around town for pizza.  I did that once for Cane Rosso.  It was damn good pizza, but not so incrementally better than what I can get within a mile from my house to make it worth it.

Delivery...how does it work?

I'm fucking with you, but seriously I think probably 9.5 times out of 10, if I'm doing pizza, I'm doing delivery.  Favor, Uber Eats, etc have made it possible to enjoy the best pizzas on the comfort of my couch.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Delivery...how does it work?

I'm fucking with you, but seriously I think probably 9.5 times out of 10, if I'm doing pizza, I'm doing delivery.  Favor, Uber Eats, etc have made it possible to enjoy the best pizzas on the comfort of my couch.

We use Uber Eats / Caviar and all that, but not for pizza.  It's just not worth it with places close by.  Pizza is best right out of the oven (or cold the next day!).  I can't imagine having a pizza driven to my from across the river.  To be honest, on the rare occasion when we have pizza delivered, it's Pizza Hut (hand tossed crust, premium tomato sauce, mushrooms).  It's perfectly fine.  When we want to step up, we go get it..walking normally unless its Cibo.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:56 AM, Landomatic said:

Huh, just found this.  Apparently he founded Fireside Pies.  Pretty good writeup with some pics...

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-05-18-perfect-union-pizza-highland-park-village-nick-badovinus/#slide=0

Perfect-Union-Pizza_125706.jpg

Perfect-Union-Pizza_125300.jpg

Perfect-Union-Pizza_125344.jpg

Perfect-Union-Pizza_125627.jpg

Perfect-Union-Pizza_125438.jpg

I could be mistaken but I think Fireside Pies was the first thing he did on his own. (Or that might've been for Tristan Simon -- I don't know. Pretty sure Badovinus was at Hibiscus -- also with Simon -- originally.)

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Pizza Hut?  Really?  You had me right up until then.

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

We use Uber Eats / Caviar and all that, but not for pizza.  It's just not worth it with places close by.  Pizza is best right out of the oven (or cold the next day!).  I can't imagine having a pizza driven to my from across the river.  To be honest, on the rare occasion when we have pizza delivered, it's Pizza Hut (hand tossed crust, premium tomato sauce, mushrooms).  It's perfectly fine.  When we want to step up, we go get it..walking normally unless its Cibo.

oG9xw_s-200x150.gif

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Pizza Hut?  Really?  You had me right up until then.

LOL.  I figured as much.  Belongs on the thread about embarrassing things you can admit.  It just does the job for something cheap.  Like the taco bell bean burrito, which I also like but which I won't confuse with an El Trompo taco.

Just now, DFWTexEx said:

I get cheap. Bona is a couple bucks more than Pizza Hut/Papa John's/Dominos and infinitely better. Of the three macro-pizzerias Domino's is by far the best option. I'll eat Papa John's if that's all there is. Pizza Hut is a hard, hard pass.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I get cheap. Bona is a couple bucks more than Pizza Hut/Papa John's/Dominos and infinitely better. Of the three macro-pizzerias Domino's is by far the best option. I'll eat Papa John's if that's all there is. Pizza Hut is a hard, hard pass.

Funny...I used to agree with you.  When I lived at my last house, the pizza hut was garbage.  Slow, sloppy, usually cold, order wrong with sparse ingredients.  Not sure what the deal is now, but my new house has an incredible pizza hut.  I mean, shit shows up in 20 mins piping hot loaded with ingredients mostly delivered by what look to be some nice young college kids.  I don't know if its the one that services their CEO so they've got their shit together or if it's run by a bunch of SMU kids who have some pride and have their shit together or what.  But I'll easily put it up against all the other chains you mentioned.

17 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Funny...I used to agree with you.  When I lived at my last house, the pizza hut was garbage.  Slow, sloppy, usually cold, order wrong with sparse ingredients.  Not sure what the deal is now, but my new house has an incredible pizza hut.  I mean, shit shows up in 20 mins piping hot loaded with ingredients mostly delivered by what look to be some nice young college kids.  I don't know if its the one that services their CEO so they've got their shit together or if it's run by a bunch of SMU kids who have some pride and have their shit together or what.  But I'll easily put it up against all the other chains you mentioned.

My experience exactly.  The Pizza Hut product I am getting now is far superior to the crap they used to put out and also far better than Papa Johns, Domino's, etc.  With the app, you can customize (light sauce, type of crust, etc., extra this or that).   And our store is just South of Davis on Oak Cliff.  Pretty sure this is not the CEO's store.  To be clear, we would rather walk to Nova for pizza or get to Eno's or Cibo, but for the 1-2 x year we want cheap delivery, it's Pizza Hut.  Pizza Hut talk has to go away.

Mrs. C-Man and I got pretty beat up last night. Sorry for the late report. Pizza was fantastic -- very light, doesn't make you feel like you've over-indulged on food. We got the very first pie listed. My wife isn't as adventurous so we didn't go down any white-sauce pies last night but I'll try one next time. Ours was red sauce, pepperoni, some peppers (I think) and some greens. Wasn't arugula but not totally sure. The menu isn't online yet. Otherwise I could tell you exactly what it was. My wife got the chopped kale salad and it was pretty good. We started with some zucchini fritte, which were very good as well. Had the #4 spritz to start -- mint, lime, prosecco and soda, perhaps. It was tasty though I probably wouldn't have more than one. Switched over to the tempranillo on tap after that. All in all, it's a pretty good place. Wasn't very crowded though we didn't go in until a little after 8.

I'm a big fan of classic Chicago gourmet in Los Colinas. It's not true Chicago style but is got a thick crust that I like and the cheese is on top. I've been to the Geno's east in Arlington and the service was so shitty I may never go back which is disappointing because the Za is really good. 

Cane Rosso, Olivellas and Fireside are all awesome 

Thanks for the recs, fuckos.  I guess google is my only friend here.

Went with Serious Pizza in Deep Ellum.  Exactly what I was shooting for.  Giant slice just how I ordered it with just the right amount of dough, sauce, toppings and grease and a good selection of ice cold beer.  Perfect little birthday lunch.

Happy birthday.

Sorry. Didn’t see this until today.

Best NY style pizza by the slice I have had in town is Lakewood Country Club.

Hard to believe but true.

The place downtown in he Wilson building is pretty good but nothing special.

There also is a slice place by the DART station between Pearl and Harwood that is ok.

Man you LCC folks love your food ;)

(Its pretty damn good)

We are on the West side like C-Man so Bono is our go to. I order it well done and it gets a nice char on the bottom of the crust.

Outside of that we Doordash Coal Vines from time to time but it’s been out of the oven for too long.

I wish we lived closer to Louie’s or Bryan St. that style of Za is really my jam...but I can get my fix making it at home with Jimmy’s par baked thin frozen crust and in house cheese and marinara. I have figured out perfect time/temp with my pizza stone in the oven and box cut it like the above mentioned.

Finally tried Mimi’s on NW highway to mix it up and not too bad.

Can’t wait to give the new spot in HPV a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2018 at 3:40 PM, C-Man said:

Mrs. C-Man and I got pretty beat up last night. Sorry for the late report. Pizza was fantastic -- very light, doesn't make you feel like you've over-indulged on food. We got the very first pie listed. My wife isn't as adventurous so we didn't go down any white-sauce pies last night but I'll try one next time. Ours was red sauce, pepperoni, some peppers (I think) and some greens. Wasn't arugula but not totally sure. The menu isn't online yet. Otherwise I could tell you exactly what it was. My wife got the chopped kale salad and it was pretty good. We started with some zucchini fritte, which were very good as well. Had the #4 spritz to start -- mint, lime, prosecco and soda, perhaps. It was tasty though I probably wouldn't have more than one. Switched over to the tempranillo on tap after that. All in all, it's a pretty good place. Wasn't very crowded though we didn't go in until a little after 8.

Just tried this place last night for the first time.  Holy fuck it was good.  Best pizza in town that I've had.  Also best pasta in town that I've had.  Bold statements, I know but this shit was beyond legit.  About an hour wait with a shit ton of kids and families around which kind of sucked.  But, the wait was well worth it.  And great staff...bartenders (one was a cute girl who flirted with my wife) got us a little saucy while we waited and the GM kissed just the right amount of our asses while we waited.  I'll probably have a hard time going anywhere else for pizza or pasta ever again.

Just tried this place last night for the first time.  Holy fuck it was good.  Best pizza in town that I've had.  Also best pasta in town that I've had.  Bold statements, I know but this shit was beyond legit.  About an hour wait with a shit ton of kids and families around which kind of sucked.  But, the wait was well worth it.  And great staff...bartenders (one was a cute girl who flirted with my wife) got us a little saucy while we waited and the GM kissed just the right amount of our asses while we waited.  I'll probably have a hard time going anywhere else for pizza or pasta ever again.

GM used to be front of house guy at Bolsa. Good dude. Same first name as you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out Perfect Union is now open for lunch and takeout is available.  Swung by and grabbed a to-go order last night for Mrs Landomatic and me.  Staff still super-friendly and the place was still rockin (on a Tuesday night).  Called and placed the order and they said it would be ready in about 20 mins.  Got there in about 15 hoping I could grab a beer while I waited.  Order was ready when I got there so rather than letting it get cold, I passed on the beer.  Only complaint is they have no menu online (at least that we could find) so had to place the order kind of by memory from the last time we ate there and with some input from the really nice girl who answered the phone.  Anyway, food still amazing.  I'll still put it up against any pizza or pasta place in town.

One pasta and 2 pizzas was way too much food for 2 people but we had a lot leftover...

B6FKgx.jpg

I got the "Our Usual" pizza...

yAyCDr.jpg

Wife got some white sauce thing that I cant remember the name of.  I don't like white sauce pizza but she loved it...

jFxXDS.jpg

And the rigatoni carbonara pasta...

7DJe0O.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...