Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Different people. As C-Man has previously posted (I think in this thread) they guy who started Bona trained under Omar in Lakewood and then went out on his own in Bluffview.

Right? @C-Man?

Yes, I believe that's the story. Bona is a 5-minute walk (if that) from my house and I drive by there just about every single day. It is still open.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Got an EM from Zalat earlier today that they're heading to Austin too. I've stopped ordering from them.

I ordered from them a few weeks ago and the pizza was cold when I picked it up (stood outside for 10-15 minutes waiting to get to the window). They sent me a $25 coupon when I replied to their feedback email. So I will probably give the new location a try. 

Unfortunately with Cigarz gone the options near me aren’t great (for that style of pizza). 

Got home from happy hour tonight with nothing to cook or do so I ordered a pie from Bona. Since I got my Ooni, I have barely ordered pizza out. Owner (don’t know his name sadly) recognized me and asked how I’ve been — pizza slammed and went hard.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A group of us went back up to Carina tonight -- one of my wife's ding-dong friends loves doing Dave Portnoy-like pizza reviews (she's a train wreck but a lot of fun) -- and sampled just about everything. I think it's Roman-style pizza, so very, very thin. It's very, very good and Eugene, who is Ukrainian, is a hell of a nice guy. Please support this dude. One of our other friends did two years in Georgia in the Peace Corps. There is one item that is not on Carina's menu at the shop (or Carina's website) but is on all the order delivery sites. He calls it "Cheeseboat." Our friend said this a traditional Georgian/Ukrainian pizza presentation that is fucking out of this world good. You can add certain toppings if you like but the Georgian style is a single cracked egg in the middle, which is what we got last night. Holy fucking hell is it good.

image.thumb.png.cdc64a16de5b7034826183b9b0f715b3.png

He also makes his own version of Anthony Bourdain's favorite sandwich -- fried/seared mortadella and provolone.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 12.16.00 PM.png

• Like 1