Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Not necessarily must tries but I like Nate's for Cajun, it's a really laid back atmosphere and right across the street from Zoli's.  There's also Ida Claire which is a really popular spot, food is good and they got a good drink menu.  Also Gloria's and Neighborhood Services.  But since this is the pizza thread I've said too much and must stop now before I'm launched into orbit.

We've had a few great experiences at Ida Claire.

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Anyone had Jet's Pizza? There is a location in Frisco. My girlfriend wants to try it. She said it is similar to the style Via313 in Austin (I did enjoy this).

It’s Little Caesar’s pan pizza made with higher quality ingredients.  I used to work around the corner from one and would grab at for lunch occasionally.  I liked it, but it’s not worth going out of your way for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Delucca Gaucho Pizza in the design district is a winner in my book. Brazilian steakhouse style where the bring you as much pizza as you want (they have about 20 different varieties) until you tell them to stop. The salad you get at the beginning is great and drink prices are fair. Would be a fun place to go with your buddies or for a birthday. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just had iFratelli brought in for lunch. Very solid. The ranch they do is probably the best part. 

Apparently the guy that started it is a cousin of the guy that started Campisi's (or some family relation like that). It makes sense, the pizza is very similar. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just had iFratelli brought in for lunch. Very solid. The ranch they do is probably the best part. 

Apparently the guy that started it is a cousin of the guy that started Campisi's (or some family relation like that). It makes sense, the pizza is very similar. 

It's better than Campisi's but that ain't sayin' much. That style pizza is not particularly my favorite.

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

It's good stuff.  It was our go to company lunch pizza for years, the sausage use has chunks of fennel so big it might choke you.

41 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Atomic Pie in Lake Highlands was also a Campisi rip off. It got shoved out when the landlord renovated the shopping center they were in. That was our go to pizza place. 

go-to

I Fratelli overcooks their pizzas.  The crust is too hard, and not a nice, crispy hard, but more of a it takes a little effort to bite through hard.  May just be my location, but I’ve asked them to give it a little less time in the oven, and I get the same pizza every time.

• 5 weeks later...

X-Posting from the coronavirus thread.  Zalat opening another Dallas location on Lemmon.

https://dallas.eater.com/2020/4/3/21206981/zalat-cloud-opens-lemmon-ave-takeout-cloud-kitchen

Did not realize there were already 7 locations.  None are very close to me and the closest one was 2 ½ for delivery the last time I got it.  So, this should be a much needed addition.

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

X-Posting from the coronavirus thread.  Zalat opening another Dallas location on Lemmon.

https://dallas.eater.com/2020/4/3/21206981/zalat-cloud-opens-lemmon-ave-takeout-cloud-kitchen

Did not realize there were already 7 locations.  None are very close to me and the closest one was 2 ½ for delivery the last time I got it.  So, this should be a much needed addition.

That place's parking lot is gonna be a zoo (if it gets anything like the traffic at Fitzhugh).  In other news, I picked up from there (Fitzhugh) last night.  Consistently good.

Edited by DDD Dad

Za Lat Lemmon is up and running. Been craving pizza so we ordered out. On the way to the Fitzhugh location I was looking for where the new one was going in. We drove by and I could tell it was open even though it wasn't supposed to be until Monday. I quickly looked at my email receipt and saw I'd ordered from Lemmon. I guess the GPS in my phone figured it out. Anyway, hung a u-turn and went back and picked up our cheese and Simple Basil pies. Damn good.

Za Lat Lemmon is up and running. Been craving pizza so we ordered out. On the way to the Fitzhugh location I was looking for where the new one was going in. We drove by and I could tell it was open even though it wasn't supposed to be until Monday. I quickly looked at my email receipt and saw I'd ordered from Lemmon. I guess the GPS in my phone figured it out. Anyway, hung a u-turn and went back and picked up our cheese and Simple Basil pies. Damn good.

Love the simple basil. Our regular now is that with sausage and fresh mozzarella.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Love the simple basil. Our regular now is that with sausage and fresh mozzarella.

Ooh, sounds good. I'll try that next time. Love both ZaLat and Bona for that style. ZaLat is 100 times less greasy. I still prefer Neapolitan but these two places make fantastic pies.

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Covri said:

The simple basil at ZaLat really is one of the best pizzas in town. Their margarita is good too.

Hell yea it is.  Also they just opened an addison location by belt line and tollway for those that didn't like the drive to Fitzhugh 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 8/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, TankedBevo said:

The Cane Rosso/Zolis guys stated a Detroit style pizza place called Thunderbird pies and it looks great. Looks like they're still in the testing phase right now but should be serving soon. https://www.thunderbirdpies.com/

On 8/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Would love something to kick my Via 313 craving, will definitely try

Addison's too far for me to get delivery (or to go pick up).  Please report back.

36 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

You're in luck friend, I actually just picked one up for the boy's birthday dinner. Results to follow. 

So I had to reheat it when I got home on Lake highlands and I think the reheating process caused it to be way chewier-crunchier than if you have the opportunity to gorge on it right out of the oven. The flavor is all there, just fantastic. Next time I'll give it a try if I can eat it right away. 

3693CF3A-AAAB-44EA-B461-2F01C607F605.jpeg

C1633C01-3566-4612-B761-7A635409224B.jpeg

• Like 1

Nick Badovinus’ new “ghost kitchen” pizza joint working out of OG Lovers Lane Neighborhood Services location.  Delivery and pickup only.  His pizza was pretty good at Perfect Union (actually it was fantastic when they first opened, but fell off considerably as time went on).  I imagine this will be a lot of the same recipes.

https://www.pizzaparmproject.com/

I know Nick has a pretty big cult following (even somewhat on surly), but damn his schtick gets a little more out there with every new concept.  Some of the names on this pizza menu are just...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Nick Badovinus’ new “ghost kitchen” pizza joint working out of OG Lovers Lane Neighborhood Services location.  Delivery and pickup only.  His pizza was pretty good at Perfect Union (actually it was fantastic when they first opened, but fell off considerably as time went on).  I imagine this will be a lot of the same recipes.

I know Nick has a pretty big cult following (even somewhat on surly), but damn his schtick gets a little more out there with every new concept.  Some of the names on this pizza menu are just...

giphy.gif

Has Neighborhood Services not been open or is this in conjunction with "regular" service there? I agree with you that Perfect Union was really good and Fireside Pies was once pretty terrific.

What happened with Nick's Desert Racer? Is it coming back at all? I think they were doing some sort of outdoor temp thing but didn't know if that was until Desert Racer could re-open or if that wasn't going to happen. I know Desert Racer seemed hit-or-miss with those who went, I never made it by before COVID-19 and wanted to try it out.

56 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Has Neighborhood Services not been open or is this in conjunction with "regular" service there? I agree with you that Perfect Union was really good and Fireside Pies was once pretty terrific.

What happened with Nick's Desert Racer? Is it coming back at all? I think they were doing some sort of outdoor temp thing but didn't know if that was until Desert Racer could re-open or if that wasn't going to happen. I know Desert Racer seemed hit-or-miss with those who went, I never made it by before COVID-19 and wanted to try it out.

Yeah, I don't know.  Considering their slogan has something to do with "we're desparate" NS maybe not open?  Or they're just struggling as I'm sure most regular sit down restaurants are.

And last I heard on Desert Racer was probably what you heard...that they were doing some kind of store within a store pop up ghost kitchen something something outdoor farm to table schticky lots of hipster words concept at that location which would offer many of the same menu items that Desert Racer served in the location of Desert Racer, but was a completely new and exciting fresh and different concept than Desert Racer.  Something like that.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

giphy.gif

I dont know. That menu looks too fucking good for me to make fun of anything. $20 for a 6 pack of Peroni is criminal, though.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

$20 for a 6 pack of Peroni is criminal, though.

Cheaper than you'd pay if you sat and consumed six at any restaurant, though. Gotta think of it that way -- it's helping these places out during a really, really fucking bad time. I'm sure you can find that bottle of pinot for less than $25 at Total Wine too.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Cheaper than you'd pay if you sat and consumed six at any restaurant, though. Gotta think of it that way -- it's helping these places out during a really, really fucking bad time. I'm sure you can find that bottle of pinot for less than $25 at Total Wine too.

But I'm not sitting and consuming them at the restaraunt... You know who else is having really, really bad time? Everyone else in the country. I've seen much better takeaway booze deals than $20 for a six pack of something I would never order outside a restaraunt setting. 

Is $5 for a Mexican coke reasonable?

Why don't we meet in the middle and I'll give you a good tip since I know that is more likely going to the servers that are being affected the most from this ordeal. I don't feel bad for owners that knew what they were getting into before covid happened. A lot of us are having to pivot and find different ways to make a living. 

They know their demo and I'm sure people will pay that much for the drinks they are offering, just not this customer.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

*btl

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

But I'm not sitting and consuming them at the restaraunt... You know who else is having really, really bad time? Everyone else in the country. I've seen much better takeaway booze deals than $20 for a six pack of something I would never order outside a restaraunt setting. 

Is $5 for a Mexican coke reasonable?

Why don't we meet in the middle and I'll give you a good tip since I know that is more likely going to the servers that are being affected the most from this ordeal. I don't feel bad for owners that knew what they were getting into before covid happened. A lot of us are having to pivot and find different ways to make a living. 

They know their demo and I'm sure people will pay that much for the drinks they are offering, just not this customer.

Yeah, speaking of...I got hit with a $15 "to-go charge" from Zalat the other day.  From fucking Zalat?  I'm all about pitching in a little extra to help out, especially places that are not set up as to-go and have to bridge a few gaps to make a completely new concept work.  Also known as having to pay a few corona taxes.  But Zalat has always been a takeout/delivery concept.  There is literally no dining room.  How are they all of the sudden burdened by the corona?  If anything, I think their business has spiked as everyone is getting more meals delivered.  That's just flat out taking advantage of the system if you ask me.  Then they fucked up my order on top of that (regular pepperoni instead of simple basil) and it wasn't that great.  Fuck Zalat.  I'm done with that place.

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, speaking of...I got hit with a $15 "to-go charge" from Zalat the other day.  From fucking Zalat?  I'm all about pitching in a little extra to help out, especially places that are not set up as to-go and have to bridge a few gaps to make a completely new concept work.  Also known as having to pay a few corona taxes.  But Zalat has always been a takeout/delivery concept.  There is literally no dining room.  How are they all of the sudden burdened by the corona?  If anything, I think their business has spiked as everyone is getting more meals delivered.  That's just flat out taking advantage of the system if you ask me.  Then they fucked up my order on top of that (regular pepperoni instead of simple basil) and it wasn't that great.  Fuck Zalat.  I'm done with that place.

Yeah they make good pizza but they have always struck me as super douchey and they are anything but customer centric. Trying to get pizza delivered from there is a nightmare. You're lucky if you get it within 2 hours. And that isn't an exaggeration.

52 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, that is bullshit.   Zalat has to be one of the least impacted places in town.  

53 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I 2nd this motion.  The pizza is very good, but as noted above, their delivery sucks shit throw a straw, and at the Plano location parking is a bit of a pain in the ass for takeout.  I would like to think I would have told them to take their pizza and to-go charge and shove it up their ass, but if I was picking it up that would also mean I was hungry, so I would take my pizza, pay the fee, and then bitch about it on the internet.  So well done.