Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

In fairness to ZaLat they aren't even a part of the delivery, right? Don't they tell you to go through a food delivery service. But I whole-heartedly agree that a takeout-only pizza place tacking on a $15 COVID convenience charge is some bullshit.

Edited by C-Man
$15, not 15%
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I would like to think I would have told them to take their pizza and to-go charge and shove it up their ass, but if I was picking it up that would also mean I was hungry, so I would take my pizza, pay the fee, and then bitch about it on the internet.  So well done.

Pretty much exactly what happened.  Except, I had it delivered by Favor or Grub Hub or something, so slightly different situation.  No mention of said "fee" when I placed the order.  Waited a quite a while with my heart set on delivery pizza...hungry and not feeling like cooking.  After a while, I got a text from the my runner (or whatever they're called) that she was picking up my order...then a few minutes later she calls me and tells me they are charging this "fee" and asked if I still wanted it.  So, to top it off, if I would have told them to stick it, I would have been fucking her over too.  So, yeah...I just took the loss and now I'm bitching about it on the internet.

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

In fairness to ZaLat they aren't even a part of the delivery, right? Don't they tell you to go through a food delivery service. But I whole-heartedly agree that a takeout-only pizza place tacking on a $15 COVID convenience charge is some bullshit.

Correct, but if anything, that should mean they have even less overhead than some other pizza delivery joints...fewer employees, lower insurance, etc.  So they are literally take out only and always have been.  So fuck 'em even more.

Edited by Landomatic

38 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Correct, but if anything, that should mean they have even less overhead than some other pizza delivery joints...fewer employees, lower insurance, etc.  So they are literally take out only and always have been.  So fuck 'em even more.

Yeah, that "service fee" wouldn't sit well with me either. I don't do the meal delivery services because it's my understanding they absolutely skull-fuck the restaurants. If the restaurant doesn't handle deliveries on their own, I either pick up or go somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Pretty much exactly what happened.  Except, I had it delivered by Favor or Grub Hub or something, so slightly different situation.  No mention of said "fee" when I placed the order.  Waited a quite a while with my heart set on delivery pizza...hungry and not feeling like cooking.  After a while, I got a text from the my runner (or whatever they're called) that she was picking up my order...then a few minutes later she calls me and tells me they are charging this "fee" and asked if I still wanted it.  So, to top it off, if I would have told them to stick it, I would have been fucking her over too.  So, yeah...I just took the loss and now I'm bitching about it on the internet.

What did that pizza end up costing?  Pizza+Zalat fee+grub hub fees+tip, $50-60?

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

What did that pizza end up costing?  Pizza+Zalat fee+grub hub fees+tip, $50-60?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Edit: just looked it up.  It was $46.34 for two medium one toppings, with fees and and the basic tip they automatically charge and whatnot.  And it was a 15% fee, not a $15 fee.  Still, fuck Zalat.

Edited by Landomatic

Zalat’s ownership seems shitty. I seem to recall a dust up a while back where they were mistreating staff or something. Got trashed on social media and the owners jumped in and got ratioed.

Might be remembering details wrong but it was something along those lines.

I still tip heavy everywhere but If places are forcing the issue I will have to consider who to support going forward.

On 8/20/2020 at 9:07 AM, Landomatic said:

Nick Badovinus’ new “ghost kitchen” pizza joint working out of OG Lovers Lane Neighborhood Services location.  Delivery and pickup only.  His pizza was pretty good at Perfect Union (actually it was fantastic when they first opened, but fell off considerably as time went on).  I imagine this will be a lot of the same recipes.

https://www.pizzaparmproject.com/

I know Nick has a pretty big cult following (even somewhat on surly), but damn his schtick gets a little more out there with every new concept.  Some of the names on this pizza menu are just...

giphy.gif

Anybody tried this yet? We’re doing it tonight.  I’ll report back if we get through. It sold out last night. 

It was only ok TBH. Ordered and it was supposed to be ready for pickup between 7-7:15. Went and grabbed my daughter and pulled into the parking lot right about 7. Called the number and got out on hold. Five minutes later, and still on hold, i decided to go inside. Order wasn’t ready, maybe a minute or two longer and they’d bring it out. It was close to 7:25 or so when it came out.

We got the Buongiorno Boys (see pic before I added the arugula) for the boy and me and straight cheese for the girl. It was good but the crust was overdone and chewy. The meatballs a la carte were on point — Nick does those well. The pizza at Perfect Union (at least the beginning) was better. I’ll give it another shot but Za Lat is better. Bona is better albeit greasier by a bunch.

d585788e46fd605a606958bf637133be.jpg

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

It was only ok TBH. Ordered and it was supposed to be ready for pickup between 7-7:15. Went and grabbed my daughter and pulled into the parking lot right about 7. Called the number and got out on hold. Five minutes later, and still on hold, i decided to go inside. Order wasn’t ready, maybe a minute or two longer and they’d bring it out. It was close to 7:25 or so when it came out.

We got the Buongiorno Boys (see pic before I added the arugula) for the boy and me and straight cheese for the girl. It was good but the crust was overdone and chewy. The meatballs a la carte were on point — Nick does those well. The pizza at Perfect Union (at least the beginning) was better. I’ll give it another shot but Za Lat is better. Bona is better albeit greasier by a bunch.

d585788e46fd605a606958bf637133be.jpg

So, was the regular restaurant open and they are just serving pizzas out of the back?  Or is it now just a pizza joint?  Or how does all that work?

Not really asking because I plan on trying it...I don't.  Just curious as to the whole business workings of it all.  I used to be a pretty big fan of Nick's concepts.  Loved Neighborhood Services and Montlake Cut.  Also liked Perfect Union in the beginning.  Then he just started getting weird.  And his concepts just kept going more and more off the rails and it was like he lost focus on great food and leaned more toward 'how schticky can I make the next one' which didn't do much for me.

Edited by Landomatic

On 8/21/2020 at 2:26 PM, Landomatic said:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Edit: just looked it up.  It was $46.34 for two medium one toppings, with fees and and the basic tip they automatically charge and whatnot.  And it was a 15% fee, not a $15 fee.  Still, fuck Zalat.

My last order there through Grubhub was a large and a medium pizza $38 + $7 tax/fees + $9 driver tip total $54. So basically it cost me about $12 (fees/tip) to not have to drive down there and find a place to park and pick it up. I sat at home drinking so the $12 was totally worth it. 

So, was the regular restaurant open and they are just serving pizzas out of the back?  Or is it now just a pizza joint?  Or how does all that work?
Not really asking because I plan on trying it...I don't.  Just curious as to the whole business workings of it all.  I used to be a pretty big fan of Nick's concepts.  Loved Neighborhood Services and Montlake Cut.  Also liked Perfect Union in the beginning.  Then he just started getting weird.  And his concepts just kept going more and more off the rails and it was like he lost focus on great food and leaned more toward 'how schticky can I make the next one' which didn't do much for me.

The regular restaurant is open albeit at 50% or whatever is allowed. There were three couples seated at the bar, each with a stool between them. The dining room looked appropriately portioned-off and was “full” it appeared. Not sure I’d brave that place as a night out — always seemed a little crammed in there and small, not a good Covid combo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, mdmost said:

I saw some people talking about this on Facebook. How many would you recommend for a family of 4? 2 pizzas?

2 would be fine if you have little kids (my son is five so he only ate one slice) but I'd probably go three and save any left overs. Also the pre-order ahead makes it more worthwhile to go ahead and order more than you think you'd need. 

On 2/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Delucca Gaucho Pizza in the design district is a winner in my book. Brazilian steakhouse style where the bring you as much pizza as you want (they have about 20 different varieties) until you tell them to stop. The salad you get at the beginning is great and drink prices are fair. Would be a fun place to go with your buddies or for a birthday. 

Went last night with the lady and I agree. I stopped counting at 15 slices.Service was great, pizza was good not amazing but it was hot and fresh as you watch it pop out of the oven and in to the gauchos hands. Much more upscale than I was thinking, in my head I was picturing elevated CiCis. Varieties are interesting and definitely stuff you won’t get elsewhere but are super common in Brazil. Super cool space and definitely would be a fun group outing and at $20 per person with all you can eat pizza, a meatball/salad appetizer, and a surprisingly great cup of lobster bisque it’s a decent deal. Also recommend bringing a smoking hot brazilian date who can speak Portuguese to the staff and make requests if you can.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2

Picked up Bona for my son and nephew and I tonight. Had been too long. Anyway, was talking to the owner as I was walking out. I only understand about half of what he says. So, they are opening a second location in a few months over in the Walnut Hill/Abrams/Audelia area. Sounds like it will be bigger and have some dine-in options. OG Bona is a hole-in-the-wall.

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

Picked up Bona for my son and nephew and I tonight. Had been too long. Anyway, was talking to the owner as I was walking out. I only understand about half of what he says. So, they are opening a second location in a few months over in the Walnut Hill/Abrams/Audelia area. Sounds like it will be bigger and have some dine-in options. OG Bona is a hole-in-the-wall.

Interesting.  I’ve always said that place needed to be bought.  Great pizza but horribly run.  Back when we used to order it a lot, seemed like they fucked it up about 50% of the time.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:48 PM, C-Man said:

is Cigarz Bona pizza on Gaston close to Garland not related? Menu seems 90% the same. Just moved to the Lakewood area and need to explore some new places. 

is Cigarz Bona pizza on Gaston close to Garland not related? Menu seems 90% the same. Just moved to the Lakewood area and need to explore some new places. 

Welcome to the neighborhood. Cigarz has been around for over 20 years in Lakewood. Was opened and originally owned by a Lebanese guy and his wife. They sold out about 5 years ago to the guy who owns the Goat next door. Cigar was the name of their dog.

No idea on any connection (I doubt it). The pizza is good. The kebabs are too. Quality has dropped a notch since Omar sold out but it’s generally reliable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Scalini's in Lakewood is good if you enjoy cracker thin crust. You're not that far from a very underrated pizza place, Pizza Getti. It's off Buckner and John West over by 30.  

I reserved 2 pizzas from Rock City Za for Friday. Excited to try it. I have to pick it up from the church near Lake Highlands Jr High. I'd also like to try the pizza at Vector Brewing some time. Their beers are quite good. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Welcome to the neighborhood. Cigarz has been around for over 20 years in Lakewood. Was opened and originally owned by a Lebanese guy and his wife. They sold out about 5 years ago to the guy who owns the Goat next door. Cigar was the name of their dog.

No idea on any connection (I doubt it). The pizza is good. The kebabs are too. Quality has dropped a notch since Omar sold out but it’s generally reliable.

Now that I look at Cigarz' menu they have to be related. I wonder if Omar is the guy who is over here at "my" Bona? Maybe he sold that one to The Goat guy and left recipes and what-not and came over to open Bona by Love Field. That might explain why the quality has dipped some at the old location.

Now that I look at Cigarz' menu they have to be related. I wonder if Omar is the guy who is over here at "my" Bona? Maybe he sold that one to The Goat guy and left recipes and what-not and came over to open Bona by Love Field. That might explain why the quality has dipped some at the old location.

I thought Omar moved to Rural Virginia outside of Roanoke with his wife Sadie (who had moved out there several years earlier). If he is still here then they must have split up. I liked them both. We were regulars back when the kids were little.  If there are pictures of Beirut back in the 1950’s and a painting of a dog hanging in the place then it’s definitely him.

Edit: Just checked the website. Owner used to work at Cigarz, and Omar helped him open Bona. Mystery solved!

• Hook 'Em 1

Had Rock City Za tonight. I really liked it. Got the Lefty and the Detroiter. The setup is weird as you have to go pick it up at the Church of Christ over on Walnut Hill near 635. It's really good though. They need an actual location but I can understand wanting to wait out this shitty year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 6:57 PM, TankedBevo said:

Rejoice brothers! Detroit style is now being made in Lakewood and everything was piping hot when I got it home. It was fucking spectacular. Got one with pep and one with pep and japs and they ran $13 a piece. 

11584747-7A5C-45DE-91FD-A725955C6565.jpeg

2F1966F6-EDE1-485D-A09E-0DD737FD5CE7.jpeg

3399519D-3464-497F-B794-152B2D9E1856.jpeg

So I'm thinking of trying this out this week. You can order starting Tuesday and what days do you pick up? Website says this across the top: "Ordering Opens Tuesday 10 AM - Thursday Pick-Up. (635 - Plano Rd)"

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

So I'm thinking of trying this out this week. You can order starting Tuesday and what days do you pick up? Website says this across the top: "Ordering Opens Tuesday 10 AM - Thursday Pick-Up. (635 - Plano Rd)"

Sorry just got back into town. They used to do it order Tuesday and pick up Wed, Thursday or Friday, just reserve your time slot basically. Looks like they bumped it down to pick up times only on Thursdays now until they get investors for a permanent location. They are using a rented commercial kitchen but the pizza idea has been causing some conflict with the meal prep for their other more well known business from what I can gather.  

Edited by TankedBevo

16 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Sorry just got back into town. They used to do it order Tuesday and pick up Wed, Thursday or Friday, just reserve your time slot basically. Looks like they bumped it down to pick up times only on Thursdays now until they get investors for a permanent location. They are using a rented commercial kitchen but the pizza idea has been causing some conflict with the meal prep for their other more well known business from what I can gather.  

Just remembered to head over to the site to see about ordering this week and it's already sold out. Dammit!

Went last night with the lady and I agree. I stopped counting at 15 slices.Service was great, pizza was good not amazing but it was hot and fresh as you watch it pop out of the oven and in to the gauchos hands. Much more upscale than I was thinking, in my head I was picturing elevated CiCis. Varieties are interesting and definitely stuff you won’t get elsewhere but are super common in Brazil. Super cool space and definitely would be a fun group outing and at $20 per person with all you can eat pizza, a meatball/salad appetizer, and a surprisingly great cup of lobster bisque it’s a decent deal. Also recommend bringing a smoking hot brazilian date who can speak Portuguese to the staff and make requests if you can.

Man, you really need to go to Brazil. I know you can’t now, but as soon as you can. The best pizza in Brazil will be in São Paulo and Rio Grande do Sul (the states with the most Italians). Fucking cariocas put ketchup on their pizza. Paulistas are horrified by this. My favorites are portuguesa and calabresa. And of course the dessert pizzas.

Damn, I wish Houston had a rodízio pizzaria.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Man, you really need to go to Brazil. I know you can’t now, but as soon as you can. The best pizza in Brazil will be in São Paulo and Rio Grande do Sul (the states with the most Italians). Fucking cariocas put ketchup on their pizza. Paulistas are horrified by this. My favorites are portuguesa and calabresa. And of course the dessert pizzas.

Damn, I wish Houston had a rodízio pizzaria.

Yea there’s a surprisingly large Brazilian network in North Dallas/Carrollton so we’ve found a few places. I think calabresa dicks down pepperoni. Catupiri is barely pizza but so so good. The ladies favorite is the stroganoff. But yea, excited to get down there to try the real shit, 2022 is the goal once *ahem* we get the marriage and green card process completed 

Yea there’s a surprisingly large Brazilian network in North Dallas/Carrollton so we’ve found a few places. I think calabresa dicks down pepperoni. Catupiri is barely pizza but so so good. The ladies favorite is the stroganoff. But yea, excited to get down there to try the real shit, 2022 is the goal once *ahem* we get the marriage and green card process completed 

Oh shit...marriage huh?

I showed my wife (Brazilian of Italian descent) the website for that pizza place and she turned her nose up at it. Hahaha. Brazilian pizza Nazi. “Who puts prosciutto on portuguesa???” Whatever, I am sure it’s good. I am only part Brazilian so my opinion isn’t valid haha.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh shit...marriage huh?

I showed my wife (Brazilian of Italian descent) the website for that pizza place and she turned her nose up at it. Hahaha. Brazilian pizza Nazi. “Who puts prosciutto on portuguesa???” Whatever, I am sure it’s good. I am only part Brazilian so my opinion isn’t valid haha.

Yessir, court in February just to get the god awful paperwork/interview process started and then likely the Parque Lage in Rio (her family there is, uh, not poor) in 2022.

Yea again it was solid not great, but the overall experience for all you can eat was nice.

Yessir, court in February just to get the god awful paperwork/interview process started and then likely the Parque Lage in Rio (her family there is, uh, not poor) in 2022.

Yea again it was solid not great, but the overall experience for all you can eat was nice.

Don’t want to derail the thread anymore, but if you have questions about Brazil from the perspective of an American with family roots there (also lived there), hit me up. Start learning Portuguese.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:37 AM, Landomatic said:

Yonkers Pizza Company

Hearing good things about this place...Preston Center.  Anywhere that beats their chest about using Jimmy's sausage is okay by me.

https://www.facebook.com/YonkersPizzaCo/

122282049_235967421216958_19256010065819

122189422_235967414550292_68003216600274

122464072_235967397883627_16728433201172

Had this tonight.  Very meh, bordering on bad.  Got toasted raviolis, garlic knots, great bambino pizza, and chloe pizza.  Raviolis tasted like they came out of a frozen bag, garlic knots dry and cold, pizzas both way undercooked.  Not sure if they meant to par bake them and we just didn’t know it or what.  Either way, we had to cook them more in the oven when I got them home.  Also not a single customer the whole time I was there waiting for my to-go order at dinner time on a Friday night.  Won’t go back.

Had this tonight.  Very meh, bordering on bad.  Got toasted raviolis, garlic knots, great bambino pizza, and chloe pizza.  Raviolis tasted like they came out of a frozen bag, garlic knots dry and cold, pizzas both way undercooked.  Not sure if they meant to par bake them and we just didn’t know it or what.  Either way, we had to cook them more in the oven when I got them home.  Also not a single customer the whole time I was there waiting for my to-go order at dinner time on a Friday night.  Won’t go back.

The name “Yonkers” just tells you that they’re trying too hard to be NY style. Surprisingly, the best “basic” NY style place I’ve had in DFW is Pizza Trio in Mansfield, the owner is from Queens but the kids are Texans. Good all around cheap Italian that reminds you of Long Island or Brooklyn.