Tell me about porcelain thrones

Has anyone recently built/remodeled and knows the inside scoop, in terms of what regulatory standards are, if you can still procure goods that exceed regulatory standards, etc? I recently picked up a fancy biobidet seat. I'm upgrading from my $30 luxe, putting in an outlet, and I'm thinking about upgrading the toilet as well. Is it worth it? The one I have is fine. It sits kind of low to the ground and I don't like that, but if I could get my hands on some kind of uncloggable super commode that recharges instantaneously it may be worth it to do it all at once. 

I have an older home and would love to keep my old toilets that use a ton of water. So far in three years we haven't had anyone clog it. Our previous house that had new 1.28 gallons per flush routinely got clogged. The last toilet I got was Toto drake 1.6 gpf but it had to ship from somewhere outside Texas because Texas only allows 1.28 gpf.

I've been doing some research on thrones. It sounds like there are some pretty uncloggable ones out there in the 1.6 gpf range, even some that offer some kind of jet assisted flush. Here is where I'm hung up though. I keep reading about the "rough in" distance, which is supposed to be the distance from the back wall to the center of the main pipe - also measured from the floor bolts to the back wall. Standard is 12", some are 10, some are 14. Well mine is 16.5. I don't know why, it's in a weird nook in a small bathroom basement, and maybe that's just how they could get the plumbing to work. The tank is not flush with the wall. Does this make a difference for buying purposes? It's just going to sit back from the wall a ways, right? But theoretically any size "rough in" will work? 

I have replaced both of my toilets with American Standard Champion models (I’m not the bidet type). They advertise that they can flush a basket of golf balls and while I haven’t tested it, I have yet to use a plunger since. I’m a pretty big guy with a pretty crappy diet, so prior to these I’ve been known to clog a toilet up. Often.

I don’t even know if I have a plunger anymore and am not concerned, these thing have handled anything thrown their way.

• Like 1

Thanks for the rec. I actually made my purchase today after doing a bunch of research. I went with the Toto Drake II. Supposed to be the best flusher on the market. I got two, one for the basement and one for the upstairs. We'll see. My kid could clog a sinkhole so it will be put to the test.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 9:44 PM, Baboontyme said:

Thanks for the rec. I actually made my purchase today after doing a bunch of research. I went with the Toto Drake II. Supposed to be the best flusher on the market. I got two, one for the basement and one for the upstairs. We'll see. My kid could clog a sinkhole so it will be put to the test.

We were very happy with ours - until they became shit spewing volcanos during Harvey.  

On 11/16/2019 at 6:17 PM, Flg8rfan said:

I have replaced both of my toilets with American Standard Champion models (I’m not the bidet type). They advertise that they can flush a basket of golf balls and while I haven’t tested it, I have yet to use a plunger since. I’m a pretty big guy with a pretty crappy diet, so prior to these I’ve been known to clog a toilet up. Often.

I don’t even know if I have a plunger anymore and am not concerned, these thing have handled anything thrown their way.

But can it flush one football?

I got the Drakes installed yesterday with the biobidet. They are pretty bad ass. Unfortunately the remote with all of the fancy options does not work. I called customer service today and they were spectacular and are rush shipping me a new $70 remote free of charge. I guess I have to use the manual button on the side in the meantime. :(

But it sure looks awesome. 

49133536912_72abd87445_c.jpg