Best song by a great artist

jimmyjazz

19 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Another  odd one....  Sundown over Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald for Gordon Lightfoot but not sure if he really qualifies here.

Like I said, I'd rather people not concern themselves with the greatness of the artist.

And I agree:  "Sundown" is a fantastic song.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Another  odd one....  Sundown over Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald for Gordon Lightfoot but not sure if he really qualifies here.

Wtf dude of course he does.  Just because he was born in Canada doesn't make him not great.  He still tours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Lightfoot

With regards to Seger's "Night Moves" the best lyrical sequence to me in the song is "I used her/She used me/Neither one cared/We were gettin' our share." The bitterness & regret in that exchange when the protagonist is reflecting on his teenage years is damn good stuff. 

The Stones....were they ever better than they were on Sticky Fingers? As much as I love Gimme Shelter, to paraphrase Keef if you were leading me to the firing squad I might ask to hear Can't You Hear me Knocking or Moonlight Mile as a last request.

If I'm late to the Tom Petty suggestions, American Girl has got to be option 1A. 

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh man, I hate that song.  (Seriously.)  Creepy Bob in full force.  "And points all her own sitting way up high"  Yikes.

I'll go with "Against The Wind".

He's singing it from the perspective of a horny young dude banging his hot girlfriend on a regular basis in the backseat of his '60 Chevy, not some pervy old man.  Ain't creepy at all, IMO.  Night Moves is a great song.  

I'm kinda partial to Mainstreet as well.  

Edited by Carl Spackler

50 minutes ago, Deej said:

Can't You Hear Me Knocking is the greatest first half of a song ever. Then the second half turns into Santana.

That's pretty spot on. But that extended Taylor solo/jam session at the end was a live, one take so fuck it...if you're gonna go noodling and come up with something that solid you're goddamn right it's album worthy.

Can we talk Lou Reed? Because Dirty Boulevard is about as good as it gets. 

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad

19 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

That's pretty spot on. But that extended Taylor solo/jam session at the end was a live, one take so fuck it...if you're gonna go noodling and come up with something that solid you're goddamn right it's album worthy.

Not saying it's bad, but just a let down after that kickass opening.

18 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

+ infinity

I love that whole New York album, but damn if "Dirty Boulevard" isn't Lou at his finest.

I'm not sure "Rockville" is actually REM's finest, but it sure gets bonus points for Mike Mills' backing vocals, not to mention his songwriting.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I've gotta chime in on ZZ Top...

Hard to argue with Blue Jean Blues, but my choice is "She's a Heart Breaker". Different, and not guitar driven like most of their songs, but the words amaze me every time. "She can break a heart, and take all the love she needs." The whole song epitomizes the drollness of ZZ. 

Hendrix: Axis: Bold as Love. Doesn't get much play. The matching riff that he plays over "ribbons of euphoria" is magnificent. Just a well thought out song, and the ending is perfect. All the phaser/flanger stuff is dated now, but it was revolutionary at the time. First Hendrix concert I saw, someone shouted for him to play Axis. His reply was "We don't play that one live...it's too beautiful". 

Beatles: In My Life. 

10 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Saw them and April Wine together in 1981 in Lubbock.  What a great guitar rock show that was.  

I think April Wine opened up about 20 different concerts I saw over the years.  They were the quintessential opening act, almost rivaled by Max Webster.

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's a good one, but I like Don't go back to Rockville.

Harborcoat is probably my second favorite song of all-time, next to Petty's "American Girl".  

"There's a splinter in your eye and it reads react.  R-E-A-C-T."    Peter Yorn does that R-E-A-C-T part sometimes during live shows.  Love that.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Billy: She's Always a Woman or She's Got a Way

Elton: Tiny Dancer or I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues

I'm a dumbass, of course Tiny Dancer for Elton. 

Interesting choice for Woman, a BJ FB group posted this a while back.  I like it, you can hear the classical influence on his work. 

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I still contend that Heart's early work is some of the greatest sounding rock of all time.  Pretty damn good looking rock, too:

I was about to compare the drum sound from Capt. Fantastic to the early Heart recordings.   And when Roger Fisher left, so left Heart.  I listened to all of the early Heart stuff this weekend while doing some work in the basement.  Even my deaf wife was bitching about how loud the stereo was.  

Edited by hullabelew