Best song by a great artist

jimmyjazz

23 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

The chord progression in the chorus of "Still The Same" just kills me.   It takes a meandering trip to finally get to the 5th, then it walks back down to C. 

C/E/A/Dm/G   

I think I'd go G7 there, but I don't have a guitar handy to check it out.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I always cried BS on that.  You just know the floors wouldn't support that shit, and how did they get it thru the door..  

Other than that, the movie is totally believable.

Kind of like the toast from Uncle Buck, at least that was more realistic. 

The Kinks - Shangri-la.  (Why this and not so many others.  There is such a vast amount of wonderful Kinks songs,  and some with the same theme, but I like the ride of this lyrically and musically.) 

Squeeze - Up the Junction. (Succinct, fucking succint.) 

Elvis Costello - Beyond Belief.  

Pixies - I've Been Tired.  

Joy Division - Transmission.  (Definitely influenced by hearing this on 24 hour Party People. )

Replacements - Bastards of Young.  (Shit, too many choices.) 

Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove.  (Playing The Witch on repeat during Halloween discouraged the teenagers from approaching the porch, but it's only a contender)

Curtis Mayfield - (Don’t Worry) If There’s a Hell Below We’re All Going to Go.  (What a song!)

Marvin Gaye -  Can I Get a Witness. (love his early stuff)    

Sam Cooke -  A Change is Gonna Come. (My brother prefers the Otis version, but I love the emotion and power of the original.)

The Faces - I Know I'm Losing You.  (The bass, keyboards, drums, hums and guitar)

Leonard Cohen -  Famous Blue Raincoat.  (Best part of a one night stand was waking up to hearing Cohen singing this song.)

Tom Waits - Step Right Up.  (Song magic.)

Richard Thompson - When the Spell is Broken. (what a fuckin guitarist)

I know the Kinks were mentioned prior, but don't think any of these other artists were.  And there are so many artists that could have been added. 

Yeah, I'd go "Your Song" for Elton/Bernie.

For the 'mats, I'd struggle to say "Bastards of Young" is their best, but jeez, there are so many choices.  I'll put it in a tie with "Answering Machine", "Can't Hardly Wait", "Skyway", and "Unsatisfied".  (As it turns out, I am a giant Westerberg fan and picking his best song is like picking my best kid.  I can't do it.)

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I told this story before, but that's never stopped me from repeating myself:

My wife is a big Eric Clapton fan.  I dig his stuff, but he was never my favorite guitarist or anything.  At any rate, he came to Austin and played the Erwin Center maybe 8-10 years ago, so I got us tickets.  He had a big band, and wasn't exactly introducing everyone, so I didn't notice it was Paul Carrack on keys until Clapton said "I'm gonna let Paul Carrack do a couple of his tunes", and he broke into "How Long".  I was flabbergasted.  Talk about out of left field.  THEN, to my utter shock, Carrack continued and played "Tempted" by Squeeze.  You have to understand, that is my favorite tune of all time.  Not just my favorite Squeeze tune, my favorite tune.  I about shat myself.  Couldn't believe it.

Oh, there's a nomination for this thread.  Squeeze:

• Like 3

On 11/15/2019 at 2:41 PM, dogbreath said:

The Kinks - Shangri-la.  (Why this and not so many others.  There is such a vast amount of wonderful Kinks songs,  and some with the same theme, but I like the ride of this lyrically and musically.) 

Squeeze - Up the Junction. (Succinct, fucking succint.) 

Elvis Costello - Beyond Belief.  

Pixies - I've Been Tired.  

Joy Division - Transmission.  (Definitely influenced by hearing this on 24 hour Party People. )

Replacements - Bastards of Young.  (Shit, too many choices.) 

Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove.  (Playing The Witch on repeat during Halloween discouraged the teenagers from approaching the porch, but it's only a contender)

Curtis Mayfield - (Don’t Worry) If There’s a Hell Below We’re All Going to Go.  (What a song!)

Marvin Gaye -  Can I Get a Witness. (love his early stuff)    

Sam Cooke -  A Change is Gonna Come. (My brother prefers the Otis version, but I love the emotion and power of the original.)

The Faces - I Know I'm Losing You.  (The bass, keyboards, drums, hums and guitar)

Leonard Cohen -  Famous Blue Raincoat.  (Best part of a one night stand was waking up to hearing Cohen singing this song.)

Tom Waits - Step Right Up.  (Song magic.)

Richard Thompson - When the Spell is Broken. (what a fuckin guitarist)

I know the Kinks were mentioned prior, but don't think any of these other artists were.  And there are so many artists that could have been added. 

Stay with Me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think he was being facetious.  GJ absolutely qualifies.

I was merely paying tribute to George.   "he stopped loving her today" is so obviously the greatest country song, that it has no place whatsoever on a discussion thread.  It's a fucking given.   Anybody that thinks otherwise is a compete asshole.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I was merely paying tribute to George.   "he stopped loving her today" is so obviously the greatest country song, that it has no place whatsoever on a discussion thread.  It's a fucking given.   Anybody that thinks otherwise is a compete asshole.

+1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:06 PM, jimmyjazz said:

For the 'mats, I'd struggle to say "Bastards of Young" is their best, but jeez, there are so many choices.  I'll put it in a tie with "Answering Machine", "Can't Hardly Wait", "Skyway", and "Unsatisfied".  (As it turns out, I am a giant Westerberg fan and picking his best song is like picking my best kid.  I can't do it.)

Alex Chilton.

But yeah, it's like picking your favorite kid & everything Westerberg does is gold

Sidenote: 14 Songs is one of the top 10 greatest albums ever. Fight me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

a great one, but "almost cut my hair" is better IMO.    Recorded live in studio, 1 take, no overdub, fucking Stills and Neil both shredding.  Amazing. 

As is "woodstock". That opening lick.  And "Wooden Ships" too. 

4 + 20, It Doesn't Matter, and You Don't Have To Cry.....

On 11/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, Gil Bang said:

Petty's best is "Last Dance".  

I would probably say American Girl, but he is another that its damn difficult to pin down to one song.  He and The Heartbreakers had so many hits.

You Wreck Me might be my favorite of them all

Springsteen is almost impossible for me to pick - but I'l throw out Racing in the Streets.  That's the first song that comes to mind...but damn Jungleland.....

• Like 1