Best song by a great artist

jimmyjazz

• 3 years later...
On 11/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I think Prince was great, but I never cared for "Kiss" and I don't think it's his best song by a long stretch -- the falsetto singing became tiresome pretty quickly.  Although not my absolute favorite Prince song, I always thought "Purple Rain" was pretty much his apotheosis.

I was always a Purple Rain guy, but I’ve come around to Kiss recently.  If nothing else, it nails Prince’s unique vibe better, even if Purple Rain is a brilliant epic.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was always a Purple Rain guy, but I’ve come around to Kiss recently.  If nothing else, it nails Prince’s unique vibe better, even if Purple Rain is a brilliant epic.

Sexy Motherfucker is his best work.  It's James Brown-level funky.

Just discovered this thread and it’s a great one. I have lots of opinions and I’m team Purple Rain as it relates to Prince. But one that always pops into my head related to this question is actually a b-side from Smashing Pumpkins. “Set the Ray to Jerry” Its a great melody and kinda like everything SP does well in one song. Plus Chamberlain just impeccable throughout.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Just discovered this thread and it’s a great one. I have lots of opinions and I’m team Purple Rain as it relates to Prince. But one that always pops into my head related to this question is actually a b-side from Smashing Pumpkins. “Set the Ray to Jerry” Its a great melody and kinda like everything SP does well in one song. Plus Chamberlain just impeccable throughout.

Indeed a jam. I'm team Hummer when it comes to the Pumpkins. I've played it a million times in the last 30 years and it still hits me like the first time I ever heard it.