Dallas | Burgers

C-Man

Kenny's changed their ciabatta rolls to some inferior shit so I stopped going for a while. Then I found out you can request toasted sourdough and it was back on. 

Still havent found one anywhere around that beats a maple and motor cheddar bacon burger.  

Very much enjoyed the burger I had recently at The Heights Lakewood.  We liked everything we had there, including the french onion soup and salmon.  I may have been wearing some rose colored glasses because it's quite close to my house and the kitchen is open late so I was very excited to begin with.

The Heights has a good burger.

Offsite Kitchen is still among my favorites even though I think it has lost some of its charm in the new location at Trinity Groves.

Maple and Motor remains solid.

Goodfriend has a really good burger.

I was disappointed with Slater 50/50.  Had high hopes but the meat seemed a bit overcooked and almost ground too much (patty seemed almost brick like).

Not a fan of Liberty Burger or Chips.

Harvey B's has a really good burger but there's nowhere to sit and enjoy it there.  I still like the guilty pleasure of an occasional Burger House, Jake's on Skillman or Keller's on NW Highway.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:50 AM, Landomatic said:

I'll put Al Biernat's burger up against just about anyone.  They have a great bar menu for when you're feeling like being a little more casual.  And their happy hour goes until 7:00 so even better deals then.  One of the best kept secrets in town IMO...

http://albiernats.com/assets/abo-bar.pdf

If you're going to Al Biernat's for a burger you're doing it wrong.

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not if it’s because you go there so often that you need to sprinkle in a little variety from time-to-time so you don’t grow tired of the steak.

If you're going there that often and you choose to have a burger then you Surly are 1%.

21 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

The Grape on a Sunday or Monday.  Best damn burger I've had in Dallas.

I've heard this. And I know Brian Luscher relatively well. Keep meaning to get over there for the brunch burger.

Burger at Bolsa is pretty good as well as over at Boulvardier -- as stated above.

23 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Says the guy who recommended Al Biernat's.

The Grape is where the Uncle Herky first debuted.

I miss Luscher's.

Have you had Al’s burger?  I’ve had the grape burger on Sunday and I like Al’s better.  I like a few place’s burgers better actually.  To each his own, but Dallas burger talk...serious business.

Have you had Al’s burger?  I’ve had the grape burger on Sunday and I like Al’s better.  I like a few place’s burgers better actually.  To each his own, but Dallas burger talk...serious business.

Just pulling your chain.

No I have not had a burger at Al’s. Last time I was there I had a salad.

I actually haven’t had the Grape burger at the Grape but did have the Uncle Herky (which I understand to be the same thing) many times at Luschers.

I thought it was as good if not better than anything in town. I think C-man would probably Agee.
  • Like 2

Well C-Man doesn’t know shit.

In all honesty, I haven’t had that grape burger on Sunday for years so I don’t even know if it was the same thing as the Uncle Herky they have now.  But I do know the guy who recommended it also recommended 18th and Vine Kansas City Bar B Q and the hot rock at a sushi place, so I have reason to be skeptical.

And I’m just pulling C-Man’s chain too, by the way.

For the record, sorry if I’m a little surly right now.  I’m on day four of some kind of health cleanse so I can’t eat a damn thing any of us are talking about.  Plus I started jogging which has done little more than make me sore as shit and graphically illustrate how horribly out of shape I am.  Plus no drinking.  Fuck!

C-Man can probably guess why the sudden shift.  Life’s short and, assuming I don’t keel over on the Katy Trail one of these first few days, I need to get a lot healthier.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Just pulling your chain.

No I have not had a burger at Al’s. Last time I was there I had a salad.

I actually haven’t had the Grape burger at the Grape but did have the Uncle Herky (which I understand to be the same thing) many times at Luschers.

I thought it was as good if not better than anything in town. I think C-man would probably Agee.

Believe the Uncle Herky was not quite the same burger they serve at The Grape. And, yes, Herky was my favorite burger in town.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Good luck with the cleanse and all the other stuff.  I did something similar about 5 years ago (dropped 70 lbs).  Have kept most of it off with lots of exercise and moderately better diet. 

Yeah that’s kinda what I’m shooting for.

21 hours ago, Landomatic said:

For the record, sorry if I’m a little surly right now.  I’m on day four of some kind of health cleanse so I can’t eat a damn thing any of us are talking about.  Plus I started jogging which has done little more than make me sore as shit and graphically illustrate how horribly out of shape I am.  Plus no drinking.  Fuck!

C-Man can probably guess why the sudden shift.  Life’s short and, assuming I don’t keel over on the Katy Trail one of these first few days, I need to get a lot healthier.

I should be joining you. Perhaps after our trip to Charleston next weekend.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:00 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Used to be a fan of Keller's (actually still like the food) but they banned motorcycles, so fuck 'em. 

When did they do that? I saw a horde of those assholes there like 3 weeks ago. All parked to the left if your looking at it from NW highway.

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple times I’ve been to Twisted Root I’ve been a little disappointed. Doesn’t matter how many toppings ya got if the patty is dry and flavorless. Jakes is still good but only the OG down in lake highlands. The one in Frisco sucks. Village Burger bar is consistently above average and we keep it in the rotation. A new discovery that was dam good is the Dirty Burger Bar in the Colony by Austin Ranch. Will return. Admittedly haven’t tried LA Burger or Liberty Burger yet.

18 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Also is Wingfields still slinging burgers? Haven’t been in years.

Yes, they are still going strong.  Still, in my opinion, the best home-style burger in town.  Pretty sure, it's the biggest too.  I haven't been in about a year, but even then the parking and traffic around it is pretty crazy.  Still takeout only.  The fries suck.  Don't even bother.  Just the greasy burger.  It's all you need.  It may be all that you will ever need.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to The Grape for brunch for the first time ever today for my mother-in-law's birthday. Got the burger. And it's massive. It's pretty good but lacks seasoning on the meat IMO. It's nowhere near as good as the Uncle Herky. Love Brian and Courtney but I think I'll try other stuff next time. The Luscher's sausage hushpuppies were off-the-charts good. Just fantastic!

On 5/9/2018 at 2:51 PM, HiggyBaby said:

The last couple times I’ve been to Twisted Root I’ve been a little disappointed. Doesn’t matter how many toppings ya got if the patty is dry and flavorless. Jakes is still good but only the OG down in lake highlands. The one in Frisco sucks. Village Burger bar is consistently above average and we keep it in the rotation. A new discovery that was dam good is the Dirty Burger Bar in the Colony by Austin Ranch. Will return. Admittedly haven’t tried LA Burger or Liberty Burger yet.

Good to hear.  The seafood place next to Dirty Burger is solid.  Lot of hot female ass around there too.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Holy shit Maple and Motor. First great burger I’ve had up here and would easily put it above pretty much anything I’ve had in Austin.

It's damn good. Check out Offsite Kitchen though I've heard reports it's slipped a little of late.

Bullshit. Please tell me how they've slipped. 

Bad decision to move to TG how? I'd bet they're doing 10x the revenue the old location did. Conservatively.  It's not quite as charming as the old spot I'll give you, but I sat at that tiny bar in the side room wishing for more space more times than I can count. 

TG is an incubator strip btw. What restaurants are going there to die? If they don't make it there initially they just scrap them and try a new concept.

Edited by threesheets

7 hours ago, threesheets said:

Bullshit. Please tell me how they've slipped. 

Bad decision to move to TG how? I'd bet they're doing 10x the revenue the old location did. Conservatively.  It's not quite as charming as the old spot I'll give you, but I sat at that tiny bar in the side room wishing for more space more times than I can count. 

TG is an incubator strip btw. What restaurants are going there to die? If they don't make it there initially they just scrap them and try a new concept.

Burger is not as good as it was at the first location or even  as good as when they first moved to TG.  To me = slipped.

Good for them for making more money.  McDonalds makes a lot of money too but that doesn’t mean I love their burger.

And your whole take on Trinity Groves is cute.  Name a good restaurant there.  Or better yet, name one that has expanded outside of their incubator concept.  They all just fail and they keep throwing new ones against the wall, which is pretty much Phil Romano’s MO for restaurants in general.  Other than OSK, I don’t know a single person who ever eats down there and I’ve never had a good meal down there.  You gonna tell me Saint Rocco’s is good Italian next?

Not sure what your relationship is to Nick or Phil or whatever, but you told me I was obnoxious because I didn’t slobber all over Town Hearth and now you’re just talking out of your ass about this.  I’m sure you’ll find this hard to believe, but sometimes in life, not everyone shares the same opinions as you.

tl;dr - maybe shut the fuck up you insufferable cunt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, threesheets said:

Didn't I just see you bitching in the steak thread about having to eat around "average" people?  Yeah,  I'm the insufferable one.  Hahahaha. What a fucking douchebag. 

Yeah me disagreeing that the people watching is great because it was really just a bunch of average looking people is me bitching about having to eat around average people.

Whatever dude...sorry you’re average or a hipster or whatever.  Please do the rest of Dallas a favor and stay in Trinity Groves.