Dallas | Burgers

C-Man

26 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

b01cbdc9cc3812e540ec30b44f492b18.jpg
Offsite Kitchen today for lunch.

Surprisingly off. Meat was dry, fries were also dry, and the onion rings were over salted and kind of a mess. Really big drop off from usual greatness.

I went a few weeks ago and had a similar experience. It was kind of heartbreaking.

Cross posting as this seems applicable to a few different threads.

Heimburger at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth (their River location). Two patties blended with smoked brisket, cheese and bacon burnt ends jam. Delicious. Great bun too. Think I have a new favorite burger. Side of bacon burnt ends pictured too (which they were also handing out samples of two in the order line).

90b0c538bd02a6ef25d2f85c74660bc7.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 7:18 PM, mdleast said:

Yeah but an easy enough day trip from Dallas (took the family to the Kimball and Modern Art Museum) that it
seemed like an appropriate place to post.

What? I thought the earth just kind of... fell off once you got past DFW. 

D Magazine on fake burgers:

The patty is cooked medium well. The surface is slightly charred with a soft-pink inner. Melted cheddar cheese cascades down the perimeter of the meat. The burger is stacked with a pile of shredded lettuce, generously sliced beefsteak tomatoes, tangy pickles, and onions. The mound is squished between a spongy bun that’s smeared with mayonnaise and mustard. After one bite, you may not notice the soy. Another mouthful may leave you privy to the fact that this burger is devoid of animal flesh. Maybe you lick the fat off your grease-coated index fingers and pat your belly and say: damn, that was a mighty fine burger—unaware of the fact that you didn’t gobble up a single cow.

I mean, there’s a 98.8 percent chance that you’d know what you ordered at a restaurant. But for the sake of this post, let’s say your friend stuck you in the passenger seat of his Nissan sedan and blindfolded you. Let’s say this same friend carefully guided you to a barstool at Rodeo Goat and then slid an Impossible Burger into your hands. Let’s say your palate couldn’t detect the difference.

This is the purpose of the Impossible Burger. It was designed to mimic flesh. It sizzles. It tastes like iron. It even bleeds—kind of.

The burger I just described is the D.C.C. Cheeseburger from Rodeo Goat, except instead of a hunk of grass-fed ground beef, the centerpiece is an Impossible patty. It’s one of the best Impossible Burgers in Dallas. But before we get into that, let’s talk about Impossible Foods.

The company was founded in Redwood City, California in 2011 by Patrick O. Brown, who is also co-founder of Lyrical Foods, Inc. Brown is a former Howard Hughes Medical Investigator, the inventor of the DNA microarray, and, according to his bio, a “proud grandfather.” You can read more about him here.

Impossible Foods’ mission is to create plant-based meat, dairy, and fish in order to “make the global food system truly sustainable by eliminating the need to make food from animals.”

Now, before you raise an eyebrow and start humming the tune to Wax’s “Do You Wanna Dance?” (I apologize if you don’t understand this incredibly niche reference), take into consideration that according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the Unites Nations, animal agriculture is responsible for 14.5 percent of greenhouse gas emissions. Also, according to this story on Grub Street (which is worth reading if you’re a two-sides-to-every-coin kind of person) Impossible Burgers require 95 percent less land and 74 percent less water to produce than traditional beef burgers.

It could be a good thing to start taking sustainability into consideration. I mean, Gen Z certainly thinks so.

What sets the the Impossible Burger apart from other veggie burgers on the market is the way it’s manufactured. Here’s a quick rundown: heme is an iron-containing molecule found in every living plant and animal on the planet. In animals, the heme that’s found in blood is called hemoglobin and the heme that’s found in muscles is called myoglobin. This very good article from Wired explains it in more depth. It’s the heme that gives meat it’s iron-y flavor. Well, there’s something called leghemoglobin, which is found in soy roots. This, too, tastes like flesh. The Impossible team discovered a way to extract the DNA from soy plants and inject it into yeast that’s been genetically modified. Then, they ferment the yeast. And that yeast multiplies and produces more heme. This is what gives the Impossible Burger its meaty flavor. It’s also what gives the burger its pink hue and makes it “bleed.” Other key ingredients include soy protein concentrate, coconut oil, and sunflower oil.

Impossible Burgers are appearing on menus across Dallas. And because I love you, I tried most of them. This way you can skip the shell and go straight for the egg yolk. That’s a terrible expression. This way you can skip the peel and go straight for the inside of the banana. Still bad. Whatever. You get the point.

The best Impossible Burgers in Dallas:

Rodeo Goat: sub any of the restaurant’s 20+ burgers for an Impossible patty. They season the meat with a dash of salt and pepper. Their most popular Impossible-subbed burgers are the D.C.C Cheeseburger, Whiskey Burger, Nanny Goat, and Chaca Oaxaca.

Uncle Uber’s Sammich Shop: order an Impossible Burger in place of their beef patty. Add cheese and grilled jalapeños.

Hopdoddy: sub an Impossible Burger for any of their meat or veggie patties.

Del Frisco’s Grille: the Impossible Burger can be used as plant-based alternative to any of their burger offerings. My personal favorite is Quinn’s Filet Burger. It’s topped with bacon onion jam, arugula, blue cheese, Gruyère, and grain mustard. (Obviously, hold the jam if you’re not eating meat.)

Buzzbrews: prepared however you’d like (get it medium) and served on a wheat bun with lettuce tomato, onion, mayonnaise, and a dill pickle.

Liberty Burger: you can sub any of their burgers for an Impossible patty.

To be fair, the meat is basically the same across the board, with only minor differences depending on how it’s seasoned and what it’s topped with. These restaurants offer the most solid preparation and/or greatest variety of toppings.

(Side note: Beyond Burgers are starting to appear on menus, too. And people seem to dig them. Los Angeles Magazine recently compared Beyond to Impossible. Here, read. I’ll round these up for you guys at some point, too.)

4 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

D Magazine on fake burgers:

The patty is cooked medium well. The surface is slightly charred with a soft-pink inner. Melted cheddar cheese cascades down the perimeter of the meat. The burger is stacked with a pile of shredded lettuce, generously sliced beefsteak tomatoes, tangy pickles, and onions. The mound is squished between a spongy bun that’s smeared with mayonnaise and mustard. After one bite, you may not notice the soy. Another mouthful may leave you privy to the fact that this burger is devoid of animal flesh. Maybe you lick the fat off your grease-coated index fingers and pat your belly and say: damn, that was a mighty fine burger—unaware of the fact that you didn’t gobble up a single cow.

I mean, there’s a 98.8 percent chance that you’d know what you ordered at a restaurant. But for the sake of this post, let’s say your friend stuck you in the passenger seat of his Nissan sedan and blindfolded you. Let’s say this same friend carefully guided you to a barstool at Rodeo Goat and then slid an Impossible Burger into your hands. Let’s say your palate couldn’t detect the difference.

This is the purpose of the Impossible Burger. It was designed to mimic flesh. It sizzles. It tastes like iron. It even bleeds—kind of.

The burger I just described is the D.C.C. Cheeseburger from Rodeo Goat, except instead of a hunk of grass-fed ground beef, the centerpiece is an Impossible patty. It’s one of the best Impossible Burgers in Dallas. But before we get into that, let’s talk about Impossible Foods.

The company was founded in Redwood City, California in 2011 by Patrick O. Brown, who is also co-founder of Lyrical Foods, Inc. Brown is a former Howard Hughes Medical Investigator, the inventor of the DNA microarray, and, according to his bio, a “proud grandfather.” You can read more about him here.

Impossible Foods’ mission is to create plant-based meat, dairy, and fish in order to “make the global food system truly sustainable by eliminating the need to make food from animals.”

Now, before you raise an eyebrow and start humming the tune to Wax’s “Do You Wanna Dance?” (I apologize if you don’t understand this incredibly niche reference), take into consideration that according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the Unites Nations, animal agriculture is responsible for 14.5 percent of greenhouse gas emissions. Also, according to this story on Grub Street (which is worth reading if you’re a two-sides-to-every-coin kind of person) Impossible Burgers require 95 percent less land and 74 percent less water to produce than traditional beef burgers.

It could be a good thing to start taking sustainability into consideration. I mean, Gen Z certainly thinks so.

What sets the the Impossible Burger apart from other veggie burgers on the market is the way it’s manufactured. Here’s a quick rundown: heme is an iron-containing molecule found in every living plant and animal on the planet. In animals, the heme that’s found in blood is called hemoglobin and the heme that’s found in muscles is called myoglobin. This very good article from Wired explains it in more depth. It’s the heme that gives meat it’s iron-y flavor. Well, there’s something called leghemoglobin, which is found in soy roots. This, too, tastes like flesh. The Impossible team discovered a way to extract the DNA from soy plants and inject it into yeast that’s been genetically modified. Then, they ferment the yeast. And that yeast multiplies and produces more heme. This is what gives the Impossible Burger its meaty flavor. It’s also what gives the burger its pink hue and makes it “bleed.” Other key ingredients include soy protein concentrate, coconut oil, and sunflower oil.

Impossible Burgers are appearing on menus across Dallas. And because I love you, I tried most of them. This way you can skip the shell and go straight for the egg yolk. That’s a terrible expression. This way you can skip the peel and go straight for the inside of the banana. Still bad. Whatever. You get the point.

The best Impossible Burgers in Dallas:

Rodeo Goat: sub any of the restaurant’s 20+ burgers for an Impossible patty. They season the meat with a dash of salt and pepper. Their most popular Impossible-subbed burgers are the D.C.C Cheeseburger, Whiskey Burger, Nanny Goat, and Chaca Oaxaca.

Uncle Uber’s Sammich Shop: order an Impossible Burger in place of their beef patty. Add cheese and grilled jalapeños.

Hopdoddy: sub an Impossible Burger for any of their meat or veggie patties.

Del Frisco’s Grille: the Impossible Burger can be used as plant-based alternative to any of their burger offerings. My personal favorite is Quinn’s Filet Burger. It’s topped with bacon onion jam, arugula, blue cheese, Gruyère, and grain mustard. (Obviously, hold the jam if you’re not eating meat.)

Buzzbrews: prepared however you’d like (get it medium) and served on a wheat bun with lettuce tomato, onion, mayonnaise, and a dill pickle.

Liberty Burger: you can sub any of their burgers for an Impossible patty.

To be fair, the meat is basically the same across the board, with only minor differences depending on how it’s seasoned and what it’s topped with. These restaurants offer the most solid preparation and/or greatest variety of toppings.

(Side note: Beyond Burgers are starting to appear on menus, too. And people seem to dig them. Los Angeles Magazine recently compared Beyond to Impossible. Here, read. I’ll round these up for you guys at some point, too.)

spacer.png

• Like 1

It's a pretty damn good substitute. It is also in almost no way healthier, but if its a more sustainable alternative (no idea if it actually is) I'm all for it. The resources that go into producing 1lb of beef are pretty crazy. 

I actually saw a story a few weeks back saying the environmental resources used to make non-meat “meat” were far more than it was for raising cattle, etc. Think Jess Pryles re-tweeted it. I’ll look for it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, bigcigar said:

I’ve mentioned it in another thread, but Sky Rocket Burger in far north Dallas has an absolutely outstanding burger. It’s a hole in the wall off Frankford and coit (Richardson/Plano effectively). It’s been open about a year and run by a couple that seems to work 6 days a week.

2x2 with bacon and grilled onions from yesterday. Awesome

3a89f7008fa08456d6be65cdda1d8f05.jpg

I can concur. This is a tasty burger. If you're in the area and you don't stop you're a fucking piece of shit and should be flogged. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I’m in the far north Exurbs. My go to for burgers are:
Kenny’s Frisco
Square Burger McKinney
Didi’s Downtown Frisco

Haystack is opening down the street and I’ve heard good things. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried the Loyo Burger at Local Yocal? It’s just the other side of 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, bigcigar said:

I’ve mentioned it in another thread, but Sky Rocket Burger in far north Dallas has an absolutely outstanding burger. It’s a hole in the wall off Frankford and coit (Richardson/Plano effectively). It’s been open about a year and run by a couple that seems to work 6 days a week.

2x2 with bacon and grilled onions from yesterday. Awesome

3a89f7008fa08456d6be65cdda1d8f05.jpg

PSA - Sky Rocket opened a location in Deep Ellum. I haven’t been, so can’t attest that it’s the same quality no frills burger as the original location, but could be worth checking out. Hopefully I get a chance to check it out in the next couple weeks.

• 3 months later...

The Burger at Ellie's in the Hall Arts Hotel was really damn good.  Decided to try it after the review came out in D Magazine and I happened to need to drop in anyways to pick up something I left behind when I stayed there last week.  I would go back just to order the burger again.  I am thinking they modeled it after Gott's Roadside in Napa Valley due to the fact the owner has a vineyard down the road.  If you have had the chance to eat a Gott's burger, then you will clearly know the comparison is a good thing.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Seems like a really wise person once told us:

Trinity Groves...where restaurants go to die.

True enough -- but I don't understand it. Convenient location with ample parking.  I assume the rent is way lower than downtown, uptown, park cities or lower greenville.  No reason for that venue to not be knocking it out of the park.  

I finally had Hunky’s...didn’t expect much but it was a damn good burger. Got the double cheese with bacon. Very good for a mid-range burger. Good fries, onion rings, and fried zucchini as well. Wife enjoyed the grilled chicken sammich.

22 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Latest I’ve seen on OSK is Badovinus will add its menu to Desert Racer.

Saw that too.  And Desert Racer is no longer Desert Racer.  It's now Vantina...an outdoor pop-up concept?  Whatever that is.  And Perfect Union is getting a whole new concept.

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Saw that too.  And Desert Racer is no longer Desert Racer.  It's now Vantina...an outdoor pop-up concept?  Whatever that is.  And Perfect Union is getting a whole new concept.

Is Vantina a temporary band-aid during the pandemic or is Desert Racer done for good?

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

OSK hasn’t been the same since it left the original spot with shitty parking. 

No doubt.  It went from “best fucking burger I’ve ever eaten in my entire life and it’s not even close” to “really good burger”