Why would someone watch Star Trek: The Next Generation (over and over again)

tantric superman

TNG had a great leading man, a mediocre to good backing cast, the limited special effects of the time, and the even more limited constraints of 22-episode seasons with episodic writing. The influence of Wesley from season 1 never quite wore off so that later,  more adult-themed episodes seemed incongruous rather than an organic development. IOW, it could never fully escape being a kid show. Would love to see a reboot, though it would be hard to replace Stewart.

1 hour ago, Apep said:

Would love to see a reboot, though it would be hard to replace Stewart.

Strange New Worlds has a shot, especially if they are sticking to adventure-of-the-week shows that are resolved by the end of the show like they claim.  The trio has the acting chops, but I'll be a broken record and say "Kurtzman"

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:23 PM, Parliament said:

*some of the main characters were weak.  I apologize.  My ranking:

Picard, Worf, Data, Gowron, Troi, Tomaluk Kardashians, O'Brien, Crystaline Entity, Geordi, pretty much all the rest.

JT Method?

Edited by DoobieWah

On November 13, 2020 at 2:24 PM, tantric superman said:

Tasha Yar was killed by Sasquatch.

Then came back in a temporal disruption, took a different path back through the rift, and eventually bore a Romulan child. She wound up both saving and threatening the Federation-Klingon alliance. 

That was a great storyline. 

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Because it’s on the channel the TV is on.  

other than that, Patrick Stewart is a fantastic actor.  Sometimes Data is funny.  Really no other reasons.  Unless you are trying to become a makeup artist that specializes in foreheads. 

crazy talk

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I like the episodes that deal with Klingon politics. And the ones that deal with time travel. The plot line where there’s a rift in the fabric of time and Tasha Yar, who died in the first season, comes back because history has been altered, then goes back in time in an alternate Enterprise to save the Federation-Klingon alliance, gets captured by the Romulans and gives birth to a half human-half Romulan daughter was pretty cool. Since history had been changed, Picard and the rest of the crew had no memory of seeing her again and it wasn’t possible for her to have that daughter. I don’t think I could’ve come up with that story. I thought that was brilliant.

Tasha was played by Denise Crosby, a niece or granddaughter or some relative of Bing’s. There’s a Playboy pictorial out there if you care to search for it.

90CC5533-049F-44F0-929B-BAFF6ECB6D8C.thumb.jpeg.3b2e6e3cb49b75b78df2dd9f317e2895.jpeg

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

I like the episodes that deal with Klingon politics. And the ones that deal with time travel. The plot line where there’s a rift in the fabric of time and Tasha Yar, who died in the first season, comes back because history has been altered, then goes back in time in an alternate Enterprise to save the Federation-Klingon alliance, gets captured by the Romulans and gives birth to a half human-half Romulan daughter was pretty cool. Since history had been changed, Picard and the rest of the crew had no memory of seeing her again and it wasn’t possible for her to have that daughter. I don’t think I could’ve come up with that story. I thought that was brilliant.

Tasha was played by Denise Crosby, a niece or granddaughter or some relative of Bing’s. There’s a Playboy pictorial out there if you care to search for it.

One of the best TNG episodes. 

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

One of the best TNG episodes. 

It was also cool when Guinan who, after the natural timeline had been restored and never would have met Tasha, asked Picard about her. Guinan was a cool character.

Also, Wesley Crusher, and by association Wil Wheaton, gets too much abuse. He was alright. And Wil was great on Big Bang Theory. Brent Spiner and LeVar Burton were also great in their guest appearances.

One more thing. Jonathan Frakes played trombone on a track called “Riker’s Mailbox” on the 1994 Phish album Hoist. It’s a decent album. The last track, titled “Demand,” includes a jam from a live performance of the song “Split Open and Melt” that was recorded at my second show on 4/21/93 at the Newport Music Hall on the Ohio State campus.

But I digress. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Borg episodes were also great. Especially when Picard was abducted and turned into a Borg and Riker came up with a plan to rescue him. 

That borg episode turned the series from something I would watch occasionally when it was on, to appointment tv. Like immediately.

Older shows usually age poorly but I think TNG was definitely a top level show during it's original run. It got zero respect for being sci-fi and because trekkies were/are a joke. I wasn't a fan during the first season but started watching more frequently later on. 

One memory of the show was that individual stations decided for themselves when to air the episodes. I think my city had them on at 10 or 10:30p on Sunday nights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

That borg episode turned the series from something I would watch occasionally when it was on, to appointment tv. Like immediately.

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Older shows usually age poorly but I think TNG was definitely a top level show during it's original run. It got zero respect for being sci-fi and because trekkies were/are a joke. I wasn't a fan during the first season but started watching more frequently later on. 

One memory of the show was that individual stations decided for themselves when to air the episodes. I think my city had them on at 10 or 10:30p on Sunday nights. 

As happens with most Trek shows, they don't find their footing until late season 3 or once they hit season 4.  Which is why its a shame Enterprise was cancelled right as it started to find its footing.  TNG, VOY and DS9 all got 7 seasons. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Worst part is Enterprise was about to go into the Earth/Romulan War which would have been really fun.

Thank You The Office GIFs | Tenor

And then we got that super shitty finale bc Brannon Braga got pissed off Enterprise got cancelled and fucked us all over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

*Trekkers

The first season was bad. It took them awhile to get their feet under them. I wanted to like it and tried, got disappointed and stopped. It wasn’t until later that a friend got me to watch again. That was probably during the third season. First season episodes are still tough to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Worst part is Enterprise was about to go into the Earth/Romulan War which would have been really fun.

That’s not Star Trek. It’s just branded as Star Trek. Star Trek died along with Gene Roddenberry. Everything after that might be called Star Trek but that’s just a label. They’re soap operas and action shows. That’s not Star Trek.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:20 PM, Drew said:

People trashing TNG, especially for how good it was at the time(not talking about a rewatch) is just crying out for attention.

It was great when I watched it(after the first season), and they introduced the whole Cliffhanger finale into the mainstream.

Uhhh.... JR Ewing would like a word.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Uhhh.... JR Ewing would like a word.

Burn.

I remember watching Dallas and Knot's Landing with my mom as a pretty young kid.  She loved it.  I loved the pretty girls.  My dad would fall sleep.

Later on we would watch TNG in syndication in the afternoons around 4pm.  The hum of the ship and Picards smooth voice.  Everyone took a nap to those sounds.

My favorite episode might be "Cause and Effect" from Season5.  I called it "Exploding Enterprise" for years, probably until the Internet became prevalent and I could easily look up the actual episode names.

Edited by utee94

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The ‘Q’ centric episodes were always excellent 

I think that’s debatable. I found him kind of annoying. It was weird to launch the series with what was basically a god putting humanity on trial. But then that bookended with the finale which was an interesting plot line with Picard traveling back and forth in time. And there was the episode with Olivia D’Abo as a guest star who was being recruited by Q. I’ve always loved her. But I thought Q could tend to be irritating. (Both then and now. <wink>)

In terms of hot female guest stars I’m not sure there were any who surpassed a young Famke Janssen in “The Perfect Mate.” Talk about perfect casting.

B8A1C683-868D-4AE7-9D22-A8E5BC7F08ED.thumb.png.8a7f30a1e5e07c2ae234be7060a3108a.png

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

My favorite episode might be "Cause and Effect" from Season5.  I called it "Exploding Enterprise" for years, probably until the Internet became prevalent and I could easily look up the actual episode names.

That’s a great one. I love how they all gradually remember what cards are going to be dealt in their poker game.

But something always bugged me. Sure, the Enterprise was stuck in a temporal loop where they kept getting destroyed by colliding with that other Federation ship captained by Kelsey Grammer. But what about that other ship? What was going on with them for all the years before the Enterprise showed up? And why did the Enterprise crew figuring out how to avoid destruction free them from the loop as well?