I told you so

Camelback80

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

Edited by Camelback80
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 22

setting aside that Shaka currently sits at 31-41 in league play with zero tourney wins at Texas, how do you explain Rick Barnes turning Tennessee around so much faster than Shaka despite working with vastly inferior recruits? Why is the Tennessee program a 2-3 year turnaround when the Texas program requires at least five years to even right the ship a little bit?

spacer.png

spacer.png

^^^ i hear you loud and clearly OP, there is something completely different about this current men's LONGHORN basketball team.  they are actually a COMFORT to watch in action.  to date, i no-longer feel as though i'm getting ready to incur a MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION (heart attack) in front of my big screen.  HOOK'EM!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

setting aside that Shaka currently sits at 31-41 in league play with zero tourney wins at Texas, how do you explain Rick Barnes turning Tennessee around so much faster than Shaka despite working with vastly inferior recruits? Why is the Tennessee program a 2-3 year turnaround when the Texas program requires at least five years to even right the ship a little bit?

The SEC is not the Big 12, also Rick May have already hit his peak at Tenn. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

A tournament victory (not NIT) and advancing to the second weekend would validate your OP.

Competing for first in conference and a great showing in the conference tournament are signs of a turnaround. 

Repeating what I've stated consistently is our expectation. That should make us believe Shaka has this program going in the right direction. 

Edited by SA-KC_Horn

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The SEC is not the Big 12, also Rick May have already hit his peak at Tenn. 

Rick's task to get Tennessee where they've been the last few years was/is monumentally tougher than Shaka's task of getting Texas back in the top 25/tourney with regularity. The SEC has been one of the top 3-4 leagues in America the last two years and all the Vols have done is go 57-15 featuring a conference title and multiple all americans, award winners, and NBA draft picks, none of whom were even top 150 recruits when Rick signed them. This isn't even close.

Rick Barnes the last 4 years >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shaka Smart. Hell, there probably aren't 15 coaches in America who've been better than Rick since we fired him. There's no reason to continue to grasp at straws when the writing is on the wall like this. 

Big 12 top conference the best in the nation top to bottom ?  Not according to most of the polls I'm looking at.  3-5 is where they're projected in a top 10 scenario right now, with the ACC a notch above them (as per usual).  The Big 10 is looking the deepest this year.

I'd love to see Shaka turn the corner for y'all down there in Texas.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

uh, the Big XII has been better than the ACC top to bottom for *years* now. 

Funny, haven't seen them win an NC since when ??  The ACC has been stronger going down the stretch since forever against most conferences.  That's been a very often repeated stat among just about every commentator on the sport.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Funny, haven't seen them win an NC since when ??  The ACC has been stronger going down the stretch since forever against most conferences.  That's been a very often repeated stat among just about every commentator on the sport.

?? i thought we were talking about the strength of the respective conferences top to bottom,  it now it's about which conference "has been stronger going down the stretch"? For the last 5+ years or so you'll find that aside from one awful team every now and then that the worst teams in the Big XII are consistently ranked in the top 50-60 in the country. The ACC and it's 27 teams can't say the same. The top of the ACC is stupid good, but it has plenty of crap teams as well. The Big XII typically doesn't have more than one. 

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

?? i thought we were talking about the strength of the respective conferences top to bottom,  it now it's about which conference "has been stronger going down the stretch"? For the last 5+ years or so you'll find that aside from one awful team every now and then that the worst teams in the Big XII are consistently ranked in the top 50-60 in the country. The ACC and it's 27 teams can't say the same. The top of the ACC is stupid good, but it has plenty of crap teams as well. The Big XII typically doesn't have more than one. 

Which is usually us!!!!! 

Holy shit I can’t believe this is a thread.

We beat Cal Baptist by 13 and still can’t hit the broad side of a barn from three.

IF this team makes the tournament, they’ll lose in the first round. 

After what we have seen from Shaka’s teams, I’m stunned to find that there is still this level of blind faith among some fans.

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Well it's all about where you need up at the end of the season, and Historically it's been the ACC, and BIG 10 schools with the most teams going deeper.  Again, I'm just looking at the polls now, and most of them place the ACC, and Big 10 above the Big 12 as the best conferences this season.

7 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka... against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate. When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.  Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.  We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.  This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

Yep, we're playing up (Purdue) and down (last night).  The only thing I expect from Shaka is tumultuousness.  We've had some incredible wins under him, huge upsets that nobody saw coming.  And we have lost to teams I literally had not heard of until seeing the box score on my phone (looking at you Radford---you're apparently a mid-sized member of the UV system with a stories hoops program---but also, are you?).  

There's some bright spots here, I don't think we're gonna shock the nation and we're not gonna go off the rails.  It's gonna be ups and downs though which would be fine with me but for the fact that it's feeling like a mirror image of the last 4 seasons.  

The fact our assistant coaching hires get more hype than our scheme adjustments and recruiting classes, that's a bad sign.  

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I love a well deserved "I told you so" as much as the next guy, but you need to work on the timing.  Three games into the season is just a teeny bit premature, much like your experience with South Austin's mom.  Feel free to come back in March and tell us so again.

3 games into the season and coming off the worst performance of the season.  definitely not ideal timing. 

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I love a well deserved "I told you so" as much as the next guy, but you need to work on the timing.  Three games into the season is just a teeny bit premature, much like your experience with South Austin's mom.  Feel free to come back in March and tell us so again.

You can say that again.  His timing is consistently horrible.  He's made the same post almost every season.  At least wait til after the nonconference. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You can say that again.  His timing is consistently horrible.  He's made the same post almost every season.  At least wait til after the nonconference. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well it's all about where you need up at the end of the season, and Historically it's been the ACC, and BIG 10 schools with the most teams going deeper.  Again, I'm just looking at the polls now, and most of them place the ACC, and Big 10 above the Big 12 as the best conferences this season.

Then you don't know what top to bottom means.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, huge said:

They are picked 2nd in the WAC.  They are not a bad team.

Sure, but as was pointed out yesterday, this isn't your father's WAC.

They passed the eye test.  I wouldn't be shocked if they made the tournament with a conference title.  Still, any Texas fan should be cautiously optimistic at best after seeing what Shaka teams can devolve into over time.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Then you don't know what top to bottom means.

And again, most of the polls I've seen rank the ACC and BIG 10 higher (some even the SEC) than the BIG 12 that's them taking the conference as a whole, so there's that.

So maybe the last place team in the big 12 is better than the last place team in the ACC, who gives a shit.  The Big 12 won't be dancing past the elite 8 more than likely.  

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They passed the eye test.  I wouldn't be shocked if they made the tournament with a conference title.  Still, any Texas fan should be cautiously optimistic at best after seeing what Shaka teams can devolve into over time.

They are actually not allowed to participate in any post season play due to this being their second year in D-1. That says all you need to know about the quality of the WAC.

1 minute ago, CheesePie said:

They are actually not allowed to participate in any post season play due to this being their second year in D-1. That says all you need to know about the quality of the WAC.

Oh, that got by me.  Anyway, they LOOKED roughly as good as plenty of small-conference teams we've seen in the tournament.

25 minutes ago, huge said:

They are picked 2nd in the WAC.  They are not a bad team.

They’re decent for a small school, but they finished 16-15 last year without any quality wins and pretty much all their best players on this year’s team returning from last year, so they’re not great either.  They’re picked to finish 2nd in the WAC more because it’s horrible than because they’re great. Texas should be beating teams like this by more than 12.

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And again, most of the polls I've seen rank the ACC and BIG 10 higher (some even the SEC) than the BIG 12 that's them taking the conference as a whole, so there's that.

So maybe the last place team in the big 12 is better than the last place team in the ACC, who gives a shit.  The Big 12 won't be dancing past the elite 8 more than likely.  

Well, when we're discussing which conference is better top to bottom then we give a shit. The "to bottom" part should have been a really big hint that the teams at the bottom matter in that discussion.

And your polls are ass, my dude.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Scroll to the bottom. The Big 12 is the best conference in college basketball. Sorry if facts are bothersome.

Edited by Huckleberry

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well, when we're discussing which conference is better top to bottom then we give a shit. The "to bottom" part should have been a really big hint that the teams at the bottom matter in that discussion.

And your polls are ass, my dude.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Scroll to the bottom. The Big 12 is the best conference in college basketball. Sorry if facts are bothersome.

Yep keep on jacking off to that. They won't be in the hunt for the NC, period.  You got two Teams in the top 20 currently, and one of those is under NCAA scrutiny. That'll change.

The best basketball in the country is the big 10 and ACC. They've consistently made the elite 8 and final 4, year in and year out for decades.

so a sub .500 Conference record and finishing in the bottom half of an average league in 2019  doesn’t give you hope?

LOLz.

No I don’t think Big XII hoops sucks, but neither do I believe Shaka is going to get the Horns in the upper echelon(Top 3) of the league.  We’ll see...

Edited by Iceman

For the record Cal Baptist was picked to finish 5th in the WAC, not 2nd. I'm not sure where the idea that they were picked to finish 2nd came from, but it's false. 

https://kfoxtv.com/sports/local-sports/aggies-selected-as-unanimous-favorites-in-wac-preseason-poll

NM State also ran away with the coaches’ poll where head coaches could not vote for their own team. The Aggies received 64 points and all of the eight possible first-place votes to earn the top spot. Grand Canyon captured second place with 57 points and one first-place vote. Seattle U was third with 43 points, followed by UT Rio Grande Valley in fourth place with 39 points. California Baptist was picked to finish fifth with 34 points, while CSU Bakersfield and Utah Valley tied for sixth place with 30 points apiece. Kansas City was eighth with 16 points, while Chicago State rounded out the poll with 11 points.

Edited by Goo Punch